NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it true that Britain has become more racist?

+7
nicko
stardesk
Fred
eddie
Irn Bru
Tommy Monk
Ben Reilly
11 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Is it true that Britain has become more racist? Empty Is it true that Britain has become more racist?

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Journalists like their stories to fit into an accepted current narrative. With domestic politics dominated by concerns over Europe and immigration, and the rise of the far-right elsewhere in the EU, it is understandable that editors are alert to evidence of rising racism in Britain.

But today's figures are not evidence of rising racism. In fact, if anything, the trend is of flat or declining levels of self-reported racial prejudice.

The statistics come from the annual British Social Attitudes survey which, since 1983, has interviewed one or two thousand people and asked if they are "very prejudiced", "a little bit prejudiced" or "not prejudiced at all" against people of other races.

Adding together the "very" (3%) and "a little" (27%) figures from this year's survey produces a total of 30% - up from last year (26%) but well below the year before (38%).

Yes, the current figure is higher than the lowest figures ever recorded (25% in 2000 and 2001) but then you could equally argue it is well below the high point of 38% recorded in 1987 and 2011.

Is it true that Britain has become more racist? _75148245_357fcd99-fce5-4280-a9b7-526031d96dc5

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27608252
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Is it true that Britain has become more racist? Empty Re: Is it true that Britain has become more racist?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:38 pm

I would say racism in the UK is probably at near new heights today Ben...

Helped on by BNP, UKIP etc, some British people are under the impression that Asians and Eastern Europeans are stealing British jobs,,,when in fact, most Eastern Europeans here are employed in the fruit and veg market on farms.

Back to top Go down

Is it true that Britain has become more racist? Empty Re: Is it true that Britain has become more racist?

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:40 pm

I'm sure most of those said a little, and no more prejudiced than against anyone else they didn't know.
The politicians and media here like to brand anyone who doesnt agree with mass immigration and open door EU as racist or bigot or xenaphobe etc.
We are the most tolerant people on the planet and have people here from every nation in the world.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:41 pm

try asking the SAME people if they are

very against, a little bit against or not at all against immigration and see the difference....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Fuck me its like listening to a stuck record when I read Matti/Tommy posts, starting to think he sounds like Joseph Goebbels.

So as seen the majority are not prejudiced by the report and thus must have no issue with multiculturalism, so why is Matti not concerned with their views?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:44 pm

I think it's interesting to look at that graph and note the wild spikes over the past four years. What do you think causes that? (anybody)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Point being very few indeed would have said very prejudiced, and probably for very good reason because of previous bad experiences.
The others shown probably no more prejudiced than they would be against anyone else they didn't know and the rest not at all.
That is not the same as being happy with numbers of immigrants or happy/wanting multiculturalism.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I'm sure most of those said a little, and no more prejudiced than against anyone else they didn't know.
The politicians and media here like to brand anyone who doesnt agree with mass immigration and open door EU as racist or bigot or xenaphobe etc.
We are the most tolerant people on the planet and have people here from every nation in the world.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Ben, different people being polled.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:58 pm

I would venture to suggest that the spike seen in around 2005 was due to the 7/7 bus bombings

the spike around 2008 was due to the 2007 glasgow airport bombings

and the spike in 2011 could be due to a general feeling of "go get em" as a response to the killing of OBL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Point being very few indeed would have said very prejudiced, and probably for very good reason because of previous bad experiences.
The others shown probably no more prejudiced than they would be against anyone else they didn't know and the rest not at all.
That is not the same as being happy with numbers of immigrants or happy/wanting multiculturalism.

No what happens is people become susceptible to fear arguments, they read anti inflammatory articles about immigrants and as polls suggest well over exaggerate views on immigration based again off poor perceptions. Also extremist events can see a rise in prejudice views.
The reality is by far the majority of the population at least 2 thirds are not prejudice and that speaks volumes about how Great many of the British people are

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Didge wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:Point being very few indeed would have said very prejudiced, and probably for very good reason because of previous bad experiences.

No what happens is people become susceptible to fear arguments, they read anti inflammatory articles about immigrants and as polls suggest well over exaggerate views on immigration based again off poor perceptions. Also extremist events can see a rise in prejudice views.
The reality is by far the majority of the population at least 2 thirds are not prejudice and that speaks volumes about how Great many of the British people are

Or...conversely how stupid they are....dont forget a vast number of people are in the "cant be arsed to think about things like that" group. As long as they have go FHM or "Heat " to read and jeremy kyle to watch....they dont give a monkeys...

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Very true dodge, with most of those who said a little prejudiced are probably just like that with anyone they don't know.
With others who said very probably good reasons through bad experiences.
So vast majority of British people not prejudiced at all, or racist.....
But.....
http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/01/07/britain-immigration-survey-idINDEEA0603G20140107
So why are the majority of good British people being ignored...???
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:06 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Didge wrote:

Or...conversely how stupid they are....dont forget a vast number of people are in the "cant be arsed to think about things like that" group. As long as they have go FHM or "Heat " to read  and jeremy kyle to watch....they dont give a monkeys...

Not really at all Victor as lets face it how big are any protests against immigration, in fact has there been many protests against immigration?
The reality is yours is an assumption, when daily life can also give a fair perception of how people get along with each other, the reality is a minority here in this country are just plain selfish, who are not concerned they are asked who moves in next door to them from any other part of the country, but if they come from outside the country it seems they suddenly do. It is nothing more than being susceptible to poor fear arguments, which you do resolve with segregating society through fear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Very true dodge, with most of those who said a little prejudiced are probably just like that with anyone they don't know.
But.....
http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/01/07/britain-immigration-survey-idINDEEA0603G20140107

Wanting less immigration is not the same as no immigration, which is your view, thus again most people want to see sensible levels to help also being able to build infrastructures to keep up with levels, hence why most people want controlled immigration and is not based off prejudice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:14 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I'm sure most of those said a little, and no more prejudiced than against anyone else they didn't know.

Tommy, that's just not true...there is an infectious like ' disease' going on right now in that anyone who is NOT against immigration, Muslims or coloured people are being labelled such things as ' p**i lovers ' and ' Muslim terrorist sympathisers'.

It's getting beyond the joke.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 pm

I would say it's less racist now. Gone are the days when so many people would have frowned on going out with or getting married to a black person or shunnimg a neighbour just because of their colour or their race. People are far more accomodating nowadays and just accept these things as pretty normal every day experiences.
People are just more aware these days of what racism is and although there are exceptions like people who are stuck in the past they're pretty much in the minority.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Didge wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:Very true dodge, with most of those who said a little prejudiced are probably just like that with anyone they don't know.
But.....

Wanting less immigration is not the same as no immigration, which is your view, thus again most people want to see sensible levels to help also being able to build infrastructures to keep up with levels, hence why most people want controlled immigration and is not based off prejudice  

what part of "building more infrastructure is actually part of the problem people have" do you not see....

tell you what didge....I dunno where you live BUT...hows about we build ALL that infrastructure down your end of the woods...you know the 3-5 new TOWNS that are needed/going to be needed....YOU can have all these friendly nice immigrants, learn to speak 101 languages, and as an added bonus you get more "multiculturalism" than you ever had...
YOU can have all those great schools where english is the minority language...where your kids get bullied for taking easter eggs and easter chicks into school...
hows about it......Me??? I prefer to keep my bedroom view od green fields and woods....not yet more brick tarmac and concrete...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:26 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Didge wrote:

what part of "building more infrastructure is actually part of the problem people have" do you not see....

tell you what didge....I dunno where you live BUT...hows about we build ALL that infrastructure down your end of the woods...you know the 3-5 new TOWNS that are needed/going to be needed....YOU can have all these friendly nice immigrants, learn to speak 101 languages, and as an added bonus you get more "multiculturalism" than you ever had...
YOU can have all those great schools where english is the minority language...where your kids get bullied for taking easter eggs and easter chicks into school...
hows about it......Me??? I prefer to keep my bedroom view od green fields and woods....not yet more brick tarmac and concrete...

Happy to have more houses built as have been the case over the last decade here where I live, and happy that people come to live here because I do not suffer fears and aversions that you have, so your argument just fell flat on its face and shows yet again you play on child like fears.
Even the rest of your post is based again on now if they are foreign their first language is not going to be English but it will be their second language, shit call the Police, the horror

Pathetic and a very immature reply from you Victor

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I think it's interesting to look at that graph and note the wild spikes over the past four years. What do you think causes that? (anybody)

Interestingly, in 2001, the spike is at it's lowest just after 9/11.
I find that, quite odd.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Didge wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

Happy to have more houses not "more" houses you dummy....ALL 1 million or whatever it is built as have been the case over the last decade here where I live, and happy that people come to live here because I do not suffer fears and aversions that you have, so your argument just fell flat on its face and shows yet again you play on child like fears.  spoken like a good obedient townie
Even the rest of your post is based again on now if they are foreign their first language is not going to be English but it will be their second language, shit call the Police, the horror

So you dont care that your kids education is "restricted" because of the "language needs of others". you wouldnt care if they are the disadvantaged minority because english is the minority language....

Fortunately YOUR opinion of me is irrelevant, since your opinions are not exactly held in great esteem except by the sychophantic few....Ben...JD...erm.........nope...thats it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Didge wrote:

Happy to have more houses not "more" houses you dummy....ALL 1 million or whatever it is built as have been the case over the last decade here where I live, and happy that people come to live here because I do not suffer fears and aversions that you have, so your argument just fell flat on its face and shows yet again you play on child like fears.  spoken like a good obedient townie

So you dont care that your kids education is "restricted" because of the "language needs of others". you wouldnt care if they are the disadvantaged minority because english is the minority language....

How will my kids education be restricted, again a poor fear argument, in fact it seems your whole sad existence seems to be led by fear, because the evidence suggests in this country we have one of the best education systems in the world.
Again you are basing poor assumptions where I see the benefit of multicultural classes, where they are going to be taught in the main in English, which shows again how immature your arguments are.
So again your arguments stem of nothing more than being a selfish spoilt brat who never learnt the lesson which we teach many children which is one to share

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Didge wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

How will my kids education be restricted, again a poor fear argument, in fact it seems your whole sad existence seems to be led by fear, because the evidence suggests in this country we have one of the best education systems in the world.
Again you are basing poor assumptions where I see the benefit of multicultural classes, where they are going to be taught in the main in English, which shows again how immature your arguments are.
So again your arguments stem of nothing more than being a selfish spoilt brat who never learnt the lesson which we teach many children which is one to share

and I give a rats arse??? what YOU think?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:44 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:I think it's interesting to look at that graph and note the wild spikes over the past four years. What do you think causes that? (anybody)

I find that, quite odd.

Yeah ...that is odd eds, I can remember when the towers went down, that I seemed to be hearing some racist comments from passengers in my taxi..not a lot, but it was becoming more obvious a trend was forming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:46 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Didge wrote:

Exactly proving you are a selfish wally, thank goodness many do not share such poor views and actually care about humanity, clearly evolution went somewhat wrong with you

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:47 pm

Joy Division wrote:
eddie wrote:

I find that, quite odd.

Yeah ...that is odd eds, I can remember when the towers went down, that I seemed to be hearing some racist comments from passengers in my taxi..not a lot, but it was becoming more obvious a trend was forming.

I can't understand why the spike is so low in 2001?
Doesn't make sense.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:47 pm

were the comments racist though or just people generally sickened by the attacks and the fact innocent had been killed ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Think there's probably something to the notion that the low percentages recorded in the mid 90s to early 2000s could have been due to the economy being better.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:49 pm

eddie wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Doesn't make sense.

It could be that such internet promotion of dislike had only started to take affect by then Eddie.

Do not forget this was an attack in America, direct attacks in the past have seen prejudice views of the Irish and as seen there has been a build up of anti Islamic rhetoric since 9/11[/quote]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Think there's probably something to the notion that the low percentages recorded in the mid 90s to early 2000s could have been due to the economy being better.

Agreed Ben

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:53 pm

No it is not true

What is true is cause and effect, action and reaction

When ethnic group A is trampled,abused,ridiculed, seen their cultures and traditions vilified and otherwise punished to make way for other ethnic groups

Then it is only nature that ethnic group A will begin to resent the other ethnic groups, resentment will turn to anger and anger to hate

Simple human nature

Race has nothing to do with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:55 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:No it is not true

When ethnic group A is trampled,abused,ridiculed, seen their cultures and traditions vilified and otherwise punished to make way for other ethnic groups

Then it is only nature that ethnic group A will begin to resent the other ethnic groups, resentment will turn to anger and anger to hate

Simple human nature

Yes cause and affect of hate speech by those who are prejudice who play upon fears real or imagined.

So it has more to do with economic down turns and how people look to seek to blame others, as seen by the graph.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Look at the spikes on the graph.

Recessions:

1980-1981

1990-1991

2008-2009

2011-2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Simple human nature

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Didge wrote:

Simple human nature

Yes cause and affect of hate speech by those who are prejudice who play upon fears real or imagined.

So it has more to do with economic down turns and how people look to seek to blame others, as seen by the graph.

Hows our little Quisling today???

There is nothing imagined about Labours uncontrolled immigration.

There is nothing imagined about many of our schools being Towers of Babel.

The liars and merchants of disinformation are people like you Didge.

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Didge wrote:

Simple human nature

Yes Muslim hate preachers have much to answer for

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:15 pm

eddie wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Doesn't make sense.

::dunno:: 

But there is a fairly steady climb a couple of years afterwards though.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:17 pm

But smelly, going by your logic, wouldn't 2001 onwards and the year or so just after 9/11, have shown a rather big spike?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Truth is, if a white Brit was in a relationship with an Asian/Pakistani, it wouldn't be the white Brit who would be keeping it secret from their family for fears of of trouble/repercussions/violence/threats/grief etc.

The British family would be more than happy.

So who's the racists?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Plus the spikes are probably just simply due to different people being asked. Hence small sharp differences, but still much the same overall.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:38 pm

Also the economy has been through good and bad times over the years shown in graph, so confirms little or no effect.

If anything, it maybe goes up a little as effects of mass immigration are seen and felt over labours time in govt

But I still think differences are slight and probably just down to different people being polled.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Didge wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

Exactly proving you are a selfish wally, thank goodness many do not share such poor views and actually care about humanity, clearly evolution went somewhat wrong with you

no...proving I dont give a rats arse WHAT your opinion is since it is invalid and has little or no support.....apart from ben and your pet weasle JD.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:40 pm

eddie wrote:But smelly, going by your logic, wouldn't 2001 onwards and the year or so just after 9/11, have shown a rather big spike?

No

A single incident doesn't normally result is widespread anger, especially when a society is known for its tolerance

Repeated patterns however result in a backlash

And it doesn't need to be things like 9/11 or 7/7, it's more a lot of small things adding up with big ones thrown in when the pots already simmering

Sticking up signs saying "this is a Muslim area no gays/dogs/alcohol allowed"

Having a British soldiers head hacked off in London

It's an ongoing social, moral and cultural attack against the British/European by foreigners/Muslims that will result in anger and hatred

And why not??

How fucking tolerant are we expected to be??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:41 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Didge wrote:

no...proving I dont give a rats arse WHAT your opinion is since it is invalid and has little or no support.....apart from ben and your pet weasle JD.....

Your consistently quite a rude fucker aren't you Vic...isn't Ben a weasle too?,or is it just me?

Last edited by Joy Division on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:43 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
eddie wrote:But smelly, going by your logic, wouldn't 2001 onwards and the year or so just after 9/11, have shown a rather big spike?

No

A single incident doesn't normally result is widespread anger, especially when a society is known for its tolerance

And it doesn't need to be things like 9/11 or 7/7, it's more a lot of small things adding up with big ones thrown in when the pots already simmering

It's an ongoing social, moral and cultural attack against the British/European by foreigners/Muslims that will result in anger and hatred

And why not??

i do agree with this smelly 100%

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

No

And why not??

i do agree with this smelly 100%

It's just common sense and reasonable reaction

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Truth is, if a white Brit was in a relationship with an Asian/Pakistani, it wouldn't be the white Brit who would be keeping it secret from their family for fears of of trouble/repercussions/violence/threats/grief etc.

The British family would be more than happy.

So who's the racists?

agree again

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:48 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:

No

And why not??

spot on smelly eventually enough will be enough...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Joy Division wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

Your consistently quite a rude fucker aren't you Vic...isn't Ben a weasle too?,or is it just me?

since YOU have not had an original idea pass between your ears in months instead relying on someone else to provide your "ammo" and all you can do is spout yes didge, great didge...didge is the greatest....then it is indeed only YOU that is the "weasle" Ben is more a moose...... rendeer 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:54 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:

No

And why not??

Ok fair enough. It answered my question.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next