NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PHEW.

5 posters

Go down

PHEW. Empty PHEW.

Post by Syl Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:21 am

38c in Manchester today, possibly hotter tomorrow.

I know the temperature is breaking records in the UK, but are people overplaying it a bit?

Does the advice to stay at home if possible, not to make unnecessary journeys, even to close schools, not seem a bit OTT, just because we are getting a couple of days of hot weather?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

PHEW. Empty Re: PHEW.

Post by Syl Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:12 pm

In this area most trains and trams have stopped running.
Add to that... Asda, Sainsbury's and Aldi (maybe other supermarkets too) have turned their fridges off to protect them from over heating.
No chilled or frozen food to be had.

How DID we cope with 2WW? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

gelico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:02 pm

When you hear on the news/weather "hottest on record/since records began", you must remember that records only began about 120-140 years ago and were not only sketchy and inaccurate back then, but also that we were at the tail end of a 700 year long cold period known as "the little ice age"... So of course it will be a bit warmer now that we are out of this cold period and returning to what is more like the longer term normal temperatures.

Also, remember this...?

"...Iceland holds funeral for first glacier lost to climate change
Nation commemorates the once huge Okjokull glacier with plaque that warns action is needed to prevent climate change..."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/19/iceland-holds-funeral-for-first-glacier-lost-to-climate-change

But what they didn't tell you is that this glacier was only 700 years old!!!

So it was 'born' at the start of the 700 year long "little ice age" when it started being colder and cold enough for its creation, and now proof that it is back to the long term normal temperatures as it disappeared again!!!

And if you don't believe me then this article clearly states that it was 700 years old...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49345912

Plus... If you look at the unaltered ice core data from the Greenland GISP2 study, you will see that most of the last 5000 and 10000 years have been as warm or warmer than it is now too!

Plus if you look at the unaltered Vostok ice core data from the Antarctic study, you will see a direct correlation with the GISP2 study, but as the Vostok data goes back a lot longer, about 500,000 years, you will se an even more interesting pattern of regularity of ice ages... Which regularly happen for about 80,000 years each and in-between them we have periods of warmer temperatures that last for about 10,000 years... Now, we have just had a warm period for 10,000 years so what do you think might be due to happen relatively soon...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:40 pm

Wasn't there one of the major companies a while ago declaring that white people should try to ''be less white''? Coca-cola I think it was,,,

So, yesterday, I spent all day focused hard on trying to be less white. Out in the garden all day in our paddling pool, were me and beanie. Damn but we worked hard for the greater good of society

And today I find that everyone was apparently in mortal danger yesterday because of the heat and the sun and summer in general and everything.

I had willingly put myself in a danger zone all day for the cause,,,

Today I am much less white and feeling quite the hero as well

gelico
Forum Detective

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm

PHEW. 29456310
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:32 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

When you hear on the news/weather "hottest on record/since records began", you must remember that records only began about 120-140 years ago and were not only sketchy and inaccurate back then, but also that we were at the tail end of a 700 year long cold period known as "the little ice age"... So of course it will be a bit warmer now that we are out of this cold period and returning to what is more like the longer term normal temperatures.

Also, remember this...?

"...Iceland holds funeral for first glacier lost to climate change
Nation commemorates the once huge Okjokull glacier with plaque that warns action is needed to prevent climate change..."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/19/iceland-holds-funeral-for-first-glacier-lost-to-climate-change

But what they didn't tell you is that this glacier was only 700 years old!!!

So it was 'born' at the start of the 700 year long "little ice age" when it started being colder and cold enough for its creation, and now proof that it is back to the long term normal temperatures as it disappeared again!!!

And if you don't believe me then this article clearly states that it was 700 years old...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49345912

Plus... If you look at the unaltered ice core data from the Greenland GISP2 study, you will see that most of the last 5000 and 10000 years have been as warm or warmer than it is now too!

Plus if you look at the unaltered Vostok ice core data from the Antarctic study, you will see a direct correlation with the GISP2 study, but as the Vostok data goes back a lot longer, about 500,000 years, you will se an even more interesting pattern of regularity of ice ages... Which regularly happen for about 80,000 years each and in-between them we have periods of warmer temperatures that last for about 10,000 years... Now, we have just had a warm period for 10,000 years so what do you think might be due to happen relatively soon...!?

I do believe, as the scientists will tell us, that we are going through a period of global warming.
Whether that's the norm every 150 years or so, no one can really say, as you say, records are relatively recent in the scheme of things.

I do know that 45 years ago, a heatwave that lasted weeks, didn't seem to cause as much disruption as the one we have just had that lasted 2 days.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Vintage likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:04 am

We have returned to the long term normal that we have had during the last 10,000 years.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:27 pm

Certainly have in Manchester, typical summer's day....rain. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:14 pm

I remember in bygone days as a child regularly lying in the very dry, very yellow, corn/hay fields looking up at a blue cloudless sky with the sun beating down just before we all helped to get the crops cut and baled and into the barn. This happened on a regular basis before and while I was in junior school.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

gelico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:42 pm

Oh, you've started me off now. I also remember torrential rain, spectacular thunder and lightening storms most years. Our village was on top of a hill that was in the middle of a long valley and you certainly noticed when there was high winds, which came up the valley with intent, the windows rattled and the house shivered. We also had snow most years, usually not for long but sometimes it stayed around a while and was quite deep, we'd get cut off for a week or so some times, steep hills both ends of the village would be impassable.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Syl and gelico like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:55 pm

I remember being a small child -- ages 6-11 -- and playing outside all day long during the summer in Texas.

Nowadays, grown, fit men who normally work outdoors all day can't do that during the Texas summer.

Never mind Tommy's increasingly comical defence of his precious oil & gas industry -- it's getting hotter, and fossil fuels are the culprit.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:34 pm

Britain has always experienced weather in extremes although more extreme now perhaps.
We had arranged to have our daughter christened on an easter sunday, during the week before it began to snow, the snow cleared by saturday but it was very cold, come Sunday morning it was really hot, blue skies no wind.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:32 am

Vintage wrote:Britain has always experienced weather in extremes although more extreme now perhaps.
We had arranged to have our daughter christened on an easter sunday, during the week before it began to snow, the snow cleared by saturday but it was very cold, come Sunday morning it was really hot, blue skies no wind.

Had a spate of thunderstorms here in Essex recently that Eds and I thoroughly enjoyed. If there's one thing I miss about Texas weather, it's the thunderstorms -- nothing like some violent, scary explosions in the middle of the night.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:33 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Vintage wrote:Britain has always experienced weather in extremes although more extreme now perhaps.

Had a spate of thunderstorms here in Essex recently that Eds and I thoroughly enjoyed. If there's one thing I miss about Texas weather, it's the thunderstorms -- nothing like some violent, scary explosions in the middle of the night.

That would depend on where they are coming from. silent
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Vintage likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum