NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If god is all powerful why does he allow sin?

+7
nicko
Raggamuffin
veya_victaous
Original Quill
Eilzel
SEXY MAMA
Ben Reilly
11 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

If god is all powerful why does he allow sin? Empty If god is all powerful why does he allow sin?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Apparently homosexuality is a sin - if you put a certain spin on the bible texts.

Yet it is claimed god is all powerful.

If he is all powerful why did he create homosexuality?

If he is all powerful why does he refuse to help those who believe that interpretation of the bible when they beg him to help them change?

Surely the evidence is that if god does exist he is one sadistic bugger.

Back to top Go down

If god is all powerful why does he allow sin? Empty Re: If god is all powerful why does he allow sin?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm

its called free will

Back to top Go down

If god is all powerful why does he allow sin? Empty Re: If god is all powerful why does he allow sin?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm

sphinx wrote:Apparently homosexuality is a sin - if you put a certain spin on the bible texts.

If he is all powerful why does he refuse to help those who believe that interpretation of the bible when they beg him to help them change?

Actually quite the opposite if God was a tyrant I guess we would all be born believers, he gives us freedom of choice to believe or live our lives how ever we wish but we all know there are always consequences to choices.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm

heavenly father wrote:
sphinx wrote:Apparently homosexuality is a sin - if you put a certain spin on the bible texts.

Actually quite the opposite if God was a tyrant I guess we would all be born believers, he gives us freedom of choice to believe or live our lives how ever we wish but we all know there are always consequences to choices.

But you have true believers who are totally convinced their sexuality is a mortal sin who pray to him for help - and whom he does nothing about leaving them to spend their lives suffering the belief they are going to hell for something they cannot do anything about no matter how hard they try.

I call that sadistic myself.

Also if everyone was created a believer who was incapable of sinning everyone would be totally happy and secure the entire time - no wars no fighting no purgatory for sins and surely that would be a far better less sadistic set up than we have now?

Any decent parent will break their heart trying to protect their children from suffering even when that is not possible - yet god who is supposed to be both a parent and all powerful as well as the creator of all things not only allows suffering but designs and generates it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm

heavenly father wrote:

So if God gives people the freedom to choose how to live their lives, why don't his followers give everyone that same freedom? Why do they try to ban gay marriage, abortion, or really anything that goes against the Bible?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:32 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

But you have true believers who are totally convinced their sexuality is a mortal sin who pray to him for help - and whom he does nothing about leaving them to spend their lives suffering the belief they are going to hell for something they cannot do anything about no matter how hard they try.

Also if everyone was created a believer who was incapable of sinning everyone would be totally happy and secure the entire time - no wars no fighting no purgatory for sins and surely that would be a far better less sadistic set up than we have now?

Any decent parent will break their heart trying to protect their children from suffering even when that is not possible - yet god who is supposed to be both a parent and all powerful as well as the creator of all things not only allows suffering but designs and generates it.

your first point assumes gays are born that way, which arguably is incorrect..

if everyone was created a believer where is faith, God does not make people do things they chose by themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

So if God gives people the freedom to choose how to live their lives, why don't his followers give everyone that same freedom? Why do they try to ban gay marriage, abortion, or really anything that goes against the Bible?

because as followers we know the price of not following Gods truth, if you knew someone was going to walk off the edge of a cliff would you just let them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

i call that stupidity on the behalf of the believers

"Any decent parent will break their heart trying to protect their children from suffering even when that is not possible"

that's exactly what god does

god faith religion are not physical concepts but are rather ethereal and spiritual and as such why would god be concern with what happens to your physical body over a period of 80 odd years??

it makes sense that god is more concerned about the welfare and well being of your spiritual soul which is everlasting.

and as a parent god did break his own heart when he sent his only son to die for the salvation of the souls of his creation to protect them form everlasting spiritual suffering even though it is not always possible

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

because his followers are just people who have their own agendas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:41 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
sphinx wrote:

"Any decent parent will break their heart trying to protect their children from suffering even when that is not possible"

god faith religion are not physical concepts but are rather ethereal and spiritual and as such why would god be concern with what happens to your physical body over a period of 80 odd years??

it makes sense that god is more concerned about the welfare and well being of your spiritual soul which is everlasting.

and as a parent god did break his own heart when he sent his only son to die for the salvation of the souls of his creation to protect them form everlasting spiritual suffering even though it is not always possible    

very well said.. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Cool! Then leave the rest of us alone -- after all, we all apparently get the advantage of some pre-death interview with God. I'll just wait till then, and tell God -- to paraphrase Michael Shermer ...

"God, sorry I did not believe in you, but I used the brain which you apparently gave me to interpret the existence you apparently gave me to the best of my abilities, which you also apparently gave me. I tried to lead a good life and to help others, and I always felt that was far more important than whether I believed in your existence."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Cool! Then leave the rest of us alone -- after all, we all apparently get the advantage of some pre-death interview with God. I'll just wait till then, and tell God -- to paraphrase Michael Shermer ...

"God, sorry I did not believe in you, but I used the brain which you apparently gave me to interpret the existence you apparently gave me to the best of my abilities, which you also apparently gave me. I tried to lead a good life and to help others, and I always felt that was far more important than whether I believed in your existence."

unfortunately one of the last commands Jesus gave was to go and preach the good news to all the earth, so that's not going to happen..

No the bible tells you quite clearly your good deeds are as filthy rags, so what you think are good really is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Cool! Then leave the rest of us alone -- after all, we all apparently get the advantage of some pre-death interview with God. I'll just wait till then, and tell God -- to paraphrase Michael Shermer ...

unfortunately one of the last commands Jesus gave was to go and preach the good news to all the earth, so that's not going to happen..

No the bible tells you quite clearly your good deeds are as filthy rags, so what you think are good really is not.

Apparently so. I think it's a horrible injustice to allow a mass murderer into heaven because he can "believe" in something for which there's no proof, while tormenting someone for eternity just because they never had the opportunity to read the Bible.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:56 pm

heavenly father wrote:
sphinx wrote:

if everyone was created a believer where is faith, God does not make people do things they chose by themselves.

What argument demonstrates people born gay is incorrect?

Choice causes suffering. A good parent does not give their child something that will cause them pain if it can possibly be avoided - if god is all powerful then suffering can be avoided which makes him a parent that delights in causing his children suffering.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:57 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

because as followers we know the price of not following Gods truth, if you knew someone was going to walk off the edge of a cliff would you just let them.

But if I failed to stop them I would suffer - and god seems quite happy for me to suffer the failure of preventing someone elses suffering.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:58 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
sphinx wrote:

But why would an all powerful god create or allow any form of suffering unless he was sadistic?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:00 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Choice causes suffering.  A good parent does not give their child something that will cause them pain if it can possibly be avoided - if god is all powerful then suffering can be avoided which makes him a parent that delights in causing his children suffering.

genetics for one, the fact 90 odd percent are not would imply more of a mix up than design, that sort of thing.

so are you going to make every decision for your child the whole of their life or will you be there to pick up the pieces when they get it wrong Just like God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:00 pm

heavenly father wrote:

Would a good parent tell a child that no matter what they did to please the parent it was all worthless and any good they did would be due to the parent?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

heavenly father wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Choice causes suffering.  A good parent does not give their child something that will cause them pain if it can possibly be avoided - if god is all powerful then suffering can be avoided which makes him a parent that delights in causing his children suffering.

genetics for one, the fact 90 odd percent are not would imply more of a mix up than design, that sort of thing.

so are you going to make every decision for your child the whole of their life or will you be there to pick up the pieces when they get it wrong Just like God.

But genetics has been demonstrated with the improved breeding success of female relatives of gay males.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Would a good parent tell a child that no matter what they did to please the parent it was all worthless and any good they did would be due to the parent?

If I could make sure my child was safe forever by me dying tomorrow i would gladly do it, that's exactly what God has done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 pm

heavenly father wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I am not all powerful - if I was all powerful I would make sure my children never suffered anything. I pick up the pieces because I am mortal and flawed as are my children.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:05 pm

heavenly father wrote:
sphinx wrote:

If I could make sure my child was safe forever by me dying tomorrow i would gladly do it, that's exactly what God has done.

But an all powerful god would not need to. Besides which god did not die.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

I am not all powerful - if I was all powerful I would make sure my children never suffered anything.  I pick up the pieces because I am mortal and flawed as are my children.

Imagine God's pain waiting for us to chose his way while watching us make such a mess knowing we have to decide.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:14 pm

heavenly father wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I am not all powerful - if I was all powerful I would make sure my children never suffered anything.  I pick up the pieces because I am mortal and flawed as are my children.

Imagine God's pain waiting for us to chose his way while watching us make such a mess knowing we have to decide.

What pain?

The only reason any being puts other beings through pain that is unnecessary is to give themselves pleasure.

If god is all powerful then any pain of any being is unnecessary and is therefore done for pleasure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

What pain?

The only reason any being puts other beings through pain that is unnecessary is to give themselves pleasure.

If god is all powerful then any pain of any being is unnecessary and is therefore done for pleasure

Is that what you really believe, that is just so sad, if the world would be so perfect according to you if God would just make us believe without choice, why don't we all do something miraculous and all make our choice to believe in him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:31 pm

heavenly father wrote:
sphinx wrote:

What pain?

Is that what you really believe, that is just so sad, if the world would be so perfect according to you if God would just make us believe without choice, why don't we all do something miraculous and all make our choice to believe in him.

Do you believe that god could stop all suffering if he wanted to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

no because he has chosen to limit his own ability by giving us freedom of choice..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:40 pm

heavenly father wrote:
sphinx wrote:

no because he has chosen to limit his own ability by giving us freedom of choice..

If he has chosen to limit his own ability he could choose not to limit it.

I am not asking you if you believe he will I am asking you if he could if he chose to.

So if god chose to take the limits off himself could he stop all suffering if he wanted to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:52 pm

What is even sicker is...that god ALREADY KNOWS what choices we are going to make (according to the fiction)
therefore, WHY does he allow a soul to be created which he KNOWS will sin, which he KNOWS will NEVER believe....and then fry that soul for all eternity??

sadism ...pure and simple....

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 pm

HE allows sin because its the soul reason HE created human beings! HE is testing us.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm

@Ben murderers are not allowed in Heaven
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:56 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:HE allows sin because its the soul reason HE created human beings! HE is testing us.

Why would god need to test us? He already knows the outcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

grumpy old git wrote:What is even sicker is...that god ALREADY KNOWS what choices we are going to make (according to the fiction)
therefore, WHY does he allow a soul to be created which he KNOWS will sin, which he KNOWS will NEVER believe....and then fry that soul for all eternity??

sadism ...pure and simple....

alien 

Agreed Grumpy, no God could be so cruel  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:03 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:@Ben murderers are not allowed in Heaven
well that really depends

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy)

So if you kill in the name of god is that murder? And would following the word of god bar you from entry to "heaven"

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Korben Dallas wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:@Ben murderers are not allowed in Heaven
well that really depends

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death.  Such evil must be purged from Israel.  (Deuteronomy)

So if you kill in the name of god is that murder? And would following  the word of god bar you from entry to "heaven"

You cant kill another human being and go to heaven. No matter what the reason is. You dont 'kill' in the name of God.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:09 pm

sphinx wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:HE allows sin because its the soul reason HE created human beings! HE is testing us.

Why would god need to test us?  He already knows the outcome.

HE does indeed but as we have limited knowledge we cannot comprehend HIS plans.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:12 pm

There are many examples in the bible of god requiring people to be killed SM
Although I admit that god did not write the bible so any demands for death are suspect at best

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:14 pm

Korben Dallas wrote:There are many examples in the bible of god requiring people to be killed SM
Although I admit that god did not write the bible so any demands for death are suspect at best

Agreed.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:21 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Why would god need to test us?  He already knows the outcome.

Can you explain any system where suffering could be unnecessary but is created and allowed which is benevolent?

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:26 pm

sphinx wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Can you explain any system where suffering could be unnecessary but is created and allowed which is benevolent?

No and as i explained earlier that with humans limited knowledge we cannot comprehend why the creator made the world the way it is.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
sphinx wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

No and as i explained earlier that with humans limited knowledge we cannot comprehend why the creator made the world the way it is.

Ah, but that's always the explanation given when we have trouble making sense of religious teachings. It's always our fault that we can't make sense of it. Bleh.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
sphinx wrote:

That is a cop out.

A child cannot possibly understand many things with their limited knowledge so we as parents make sure they are prevented from activities they cannot understand because we see the harm in them.

What god would have us with limited knowledge set tasks that knowledge is inadequate for knowing we will fail unless that god was sadistic and got off on suffering?

You can claim an all powerful god and I will tell you such a god is a sadistic torturing horror or you can claim a benevolent god and I will tell you that god is not all powerful.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Ah, but that's always the explanation given when we have trouble making sense of religious teachings. It's always our fault that we can't make sense of it. Bleh.

Lol! You either believe in HIM or you dont there are no 2 ways about it. Im not here to preach to you  alien 
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:39 pm

God made Adam and eve in his image and perfect according to the bible

And it was we who spoiled it by eating from the tree of knowledge

Did god one not see that coming?

And if he wanted perfection, why did he place such a danger to his perfection where we could get at it
Why not put it on top of a mountain on the other side of the planet .....or why make such a dangerous
Thing at all and put it in the garden in the first place
its like giving a 4 year old a loaded gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm

I think i posted this to SF, funny as fuck though!

Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Korben Dallas wrote:God made Adam and eve in his image and perfect according to the bible

And if he wanted perfection, why did he place such a danger to his perfection where we could get at it
Why not put it on top of a mountain on the other side of the planet .....or why make such a dangerous

Exactly.

I am not saying god is not all powerful.

I am saying god is a sadistic malevolent torturer who gets pleasure out of watching his own creations suffer and fail.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 pm

sphinx wrote:
Korben Dallas wrote:God made Adam and eve in his image and perfect according to the bible

Exactly.

I am saying god is a sadistic malevolent torturer who gets pleasure out of watching his own creations suffer and fail.

i understand what you are saying
But as "god "doesn`t actually exist
He can't be sadistic malevolent or a torturer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 pm

I think my favorite in regards to the character of the biblical deity is to show Yahweh is sadistic and evil and the bible is clearly full of contradictions, is this one:

Satan and God one day are having a few pints down the Cloud Inn debating who is the most evil with God who is winning hands down over his flooding of the world. The discussion turns to Job, a wealthy and righteous man who is essentially perfect in God’s eyes. God points out Job’s good behavior to Satan, but Satan disagrees with him and says that Job would curse the name of God if all his possessions were taken away. The bet is on, and God permits Satan to do anything to Job as long as he doesn’t permanently harm him. Satan, who though we are led also to believe has been defeated in heaven and cast down to hell  Shocked leaves  the omnipresent Lord who has already kicked his arse in a fight with banishment to hell but I guess is let out for the occasional pint. God evidently stands back while the Satan torments Job by stealing his possessions, slaughtering his livestock, murdering his family, killing his workers, and afflicting him with diseases. Withstanding even the most tumultuous of misfortunes, Job remains loyal to God and doesn't curse him.

Buy hey God is right after all and allowed Job to lose everyone and everything, just so he could win a bet with Satan, even though God teaches people pride is a sin.  Shocked

Last edited by PhilDidge on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Korben Dallas wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Exactly.

Try telling that to heavenly father

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm

sphinx wrote:
Korben Dallas wrote:

Try telling that to heavenly father
 ::rfth:: ::rfth:: ::rfth:: ::rfth:: ::rfth:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next