NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you don't think multiculturalism is working, look at your street corner

+8
eddie
groomsy
veya_victaous
gerber
Irn Bru
Raggamuffin
Eilzel
Ben Reilly
12 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

If you don't think multiculturalism is working, look at your street corner - Page 6 Empty If you don't think multiculturalism is working, look at your street corner

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

If you don't think multiculturalism is working, look at your street corner
Living in a mixed area makes us more tolerant, not less, studies show. That fact must be part of the immigration debate

Passive tolerance is probably not a concept many people have yet heard of. Let's hope that changes, because "passive tolerance" is the most hopeful bit of academic social psychology research to emerge in a long time. It is the idea that simply living in an area of high diversity rubs off on you, making you more tolerant of ethnic diversity.

Think of all those tiny interactions between different ethnic groups on an average British city street: the newsagent, the corner shop, the delivery driver, the postman, friends laughing, children playing, a pair of lovers. This is what generates passive tolerance. You don't have to be part of the interaction yourself; just witnessing it is enough to have a significant impact – comparable to the effect passive smoking has on your health, hence the term passive tolerance.

This is the finding of seven studies carried out over 10 years in the United States, Europe and South Africa, led by a team of social psychologists at the University of Oxford and published in the journal of the United States National Academy of Sciences. They were careful to rule out the most obvious explanation for their finding, social psychologists Miles Hewstone and Katharina Schmid explain – namely, that the higher levels of tolerance in more diverse neighbourhoods are a result of more tolerant people choosing to live there. Two of the studies were conducted over several years and tracked the same individuals, showing how attitudes changed. Even prejudiced people showed a greater degree of tolerance over time if they lived in a mixed neighbourhood.

The study's positive message is reinforced by the finding of a separate study led by the same Oxford team – the biggest to date in England on diversity and trust. White British people were asked whether they felt ethnic minorities threatened their way of life, increased crime levels, or took their jobs; ethnic minority participants were asked the same questions. Both groups were then asked about how they interact with other groups in everyday situations, such as corner shops, and then about how much they trusted people from their own and other ethnic groups in their neighbourhood. What the study found was that distrust does rise in diverse communities, but day to day, direct contact cancels it out.

The two studies together point to a more optimistic reading of how diversity impacts on urban neighbourhoods.

The reason passive tolerance is politically so important is not hard to see. Sociology and social psychology have frequently been drafted in to the highly charged political debate about community, integration and multiculturalism. Key concepts and ideas take hold in the political sphere and become a rationale for policy. The danger is that oft-quoted ideas can become self-fulfilling. Perhaps the most influential in this area has been US sociologist Professor Robert Putnam, who said diversity has a negative impact on social capital, leading to people "hunkering down", and trust in strangers and neighbourhoods dropping significantly. "Hunkering down" has become a widely quoted phrase as a respectable way for liberals to articulate their growing concern in an increasingly toxic political debate on immigration.

The problematic issue for the left is that lower levels of trust have been linked to declining support for the welfare state. The theory is that if you are less likely to trust the people around you, you are less willing to have a sense of solidarity and so less likely to stump up the taxes to pay for other people's benefits.

The author David Goodhart, for instance, has seized upon Putnam's "hunkering down thesis as vindication of the controversial position he holds has long advanced. He routinely invokes Putnam to argue that the pace and scale of increasing diversity in the UK has been too great and, as he said in a recent interview, people "become less willing to share resources and do the things we require of people in a modern welfare state". The left faces a nasty conundrum as two of its most sacred shibboleths come into conflict: ethnic diversity and the solidarity necessary for a strong welfare state.

This new research throws these conclusions into question. Putnam's work may, after all, have been misleading. In fact, rather than hunkering down, living in a mixed neighbourhood helps you open up. In some ways this vindicates many people's anecdotal experience of their own enjoyment of diversity in their neighbourhoods, and the sense that the most pronounced fear and prejudice is found in exclusively white areas.

The research also vindicates the case for local initiatives to foster social exchange and build community relationships. From carnivals to coffee mornings, jumble sales to fun days in the park – all these are opportunities to generate passive tolerance. Sadly, however, many of these initiatives have fallen victim to local authority funding cuts. The impact of austerity has been compounded by a loss of confidence – in which Putnam's research played its part – about fostering strong diverse communities. Multiculturalism has fallen from favour, misunderstood and maligned as the set of ideas that guided community relations for a generation.

No one was more acutely aware of this danger than Putnam himself when he talked to me on the publication of his research in 2007, the timing made the danger all the more acute in the aftermath of 7/7 bombings. Since then the theme of integration has come to dominate – with its coercive and conformist overtones. The result has been a yawning gap with no positive narrative for the fast-changing diversity of Britain's urban life.

The hope is that this academic research will percolate into policy and public life, inspiring confidence again that strong diverse communities are not only possible, but can also work as beacons, converting residents and visitors alike to a possibility of rich exchange.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/16/passive-tolerance-beacon-hope-diverse-communities

Always said, live with people and the fear goes. If you don't mix you build up a bogey man in your head that simply doesn't exist in fact.

Back to top Go down

If you don't think multiculturalism is working, look at your street corner - Page 6 Empty Re: If you don't think multiculturalism is working, look at your street corner

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Umm they are not Ex pat Brits, Christ you are anglo centric, don't think the world revolves around your little island. they are Immigrants from all over the world a lot are from India.

Most of the Romanians wont stay either I have seen Andy whinge about that they only want your welfare then their pissing off right?

Saudi Arabia has twice as many immigrants than Britain, the world doe not divide it to British and everyone else so the majority of their immigrants come from other places, you know with 64 Million people in Britain, you are not very populous on the world stage and think you should be a large portion of immigrants, India 1000 million people willing to work hard for little pay!!!!
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

If you don't think multiculturalism is working, look at your street corner - Page 6 Empty Re: If you don't think multiculturalism is working, look at your street corner

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:04 am

ex pat brits or whatever the point is valid...they are not permanent immigrants...and thus those enclaves are NOT multiculturalism...in any sense.

romanians?? pfft, THEY are hardly noticeable...except in the local papers....

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:54 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
David wrote:

You sure you are SA because the way you behave would show you hide your lack of knowledge with all these childish behaviour.  My  partner is English.  
I was born in South Africa in 1969 in Transvaal.  You?

So what regiment/unit where you in??

I told you that before? Erm you will use any subterfuge now because you have been dumbfounded hahaha
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:29 pm

David wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

So what regiment/unit where you in??

I told you that before?  Erm you will use any subterfuge now because you have been dumbfounded hahaha

I have never asked you that question before and it's never come
Up

So when have you told me

Your a liar matey boy and every time you try to pretend otherwise just adds another layer of lies on the pile of bullshit you're pushing out

What unit were you??

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
David wrote:

I told you that before?  Erm you will use any subterfuge now because you have been dumbfounded hahaha

Up

So when have you told me

Your a liar matey boy and every time you try to pretend otherwise just adds another layer of lies on the pile of bullshit you're pushing out

What unit were you??
On Inaflap... You go and search. So still avoiding? Which SA community do you come from?
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:43 pm

David wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

Up

So when have you told me

What unit were you??
On Inaflap...  You go and search.  So still avoiding?  Which SA community do you come from?

We aren't on flap now

And I'm asking you here and now

What unit??

What's the matter Dave?? Scared you won't get the right unit??

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by David Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:58 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
David wrote:
On Inaflap...  You go and search.  So still avoiding?  Which SA community do you come from?

We aren't on flap now

What unit??

I am not from a psychiatric unit, are you?  ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:04 pm

David wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

We aren't on flap now

What unit??

Well if you don't want to tell me that's fine

It simply shows that you can't

Several post later and you're still avoiding a question that make your claims credible

I suppose you're waiting for your partner to come home and help you out

Anyway I'm no longer bothered - you're a liar and no saffa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
Godisgoodallthetime wrote:

best post I have seen for ages.... Smile 

:-:cawg:-:  :-:cawg:-:  :-:cawg:-:  :-:cawg:-:  :-:cawg:-: 

THE SENILE and braindead "old racist farts" are certainly out and about tonight !!!

Heavenly, Victor, Sassy, Smelly, BigAndy - and no doubt there will be another couple along soon..

This site is smelling of sozzled old English xenophobes crawling out of the woodork..   afro 

whats up bee? swallowed one of your pets the wrong way???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:58 pm

I wish to know why I'm fourth on the list

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:17 pm

you are on the way down smelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:23 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:you are on the way down smelly

That is preposterous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From now on i shall be truly horrible I shall endeavour to make my presence here unbearable till the point that my lack of credibility in the eyes of the lefty mclunatic clan lacks credibility

I shall spout nothing but hating hatred until I'm crown king of the right wing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:29 pm

yeah, but you know whats worst of all dontcha......HF is No1...... Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:55 am

smelly_bandit wrote:
David wrote:

Several post later and you're still avoiding a question that make your claims credible

Army unit? I did not do my National Service in SA you moron I did tell you that before!

Now going back to lying and avoiding come on spill the beans where were you born and which language is your first language, how old are you and which community do you belong to?
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:55 pm

David wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

Army unit?  I did not do my National Service in SA you moron I did tell you that before!  

Now going back to lying and avoiding come on spill the beans where were you born and which language is your first language, how old are you and which community do you belong to?  

sure pal

i don't give a fuck anymore

you're a liar

end of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 pm

David wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

Army unit?  I did not do my National Service in SA you moron I did tell you that before!  

You've done National Service David?

When?

Where?

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
David wrote:

You've done National Service David?

When?

Where?
@ BA Nice try

@ smelly dimwit: try harder hahaha
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:00 pm

national service that was 50 odd years ago  ::ftlcheer:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6