NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New no-no words: LISTEN UP YOU FROGTURDS

+11
Fred Moletrousers
labour revival
Lurker
Andy
SEXY MAMA
Beekeeper
veya_victaous
Irn Bru
eddie
Clarkson
Ben Reilly
15 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

New no-no words: LISTEN UP YOU FROGTURDS Empty New no-no words: LISTEN UP YOU FROGTURDS

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 pm

I've stated before that I find the word "c-u-n-t" to be offensive, as in the U.S. it's about the worst thing you can call a woman. Others have argued that it's shifted into more polite vernacular in their countries, so I've held off doing anything.

But, as we have a number of female members and they agree on its offensive nature, it's not to be used any more. I would also ask that members refrain from using other certain words that might be used as general insults but that originated as slurs against women, particularly in an ugly sense against female users. Thus, saying that someone is "bitching" about a problem is fine, but calling another member a "bitch" should be avoided.

I have also been asked to ban the word "Nazi."

Huh-boy.

This one I'm torn about, as it has always seemed to me to be a slur against a political ideology (like I've said before) rather than against a person's race, sex, religion or orientation.

HOWEVER. In the spirit of wanting everyone to feel welcome here and not abused, I am also asking that the word "Nazi" only be used in reference to actual Nazis or neo-Nazis. In the same vein, however, I would ask that right-wing users refrain from identifying left-wing users as sympathizing with the genocidal and/or oppressive regimes of Stalin or the Kim dynasty of North Korea. If it is insulting to be identified with Hitler, it is certainly insulting to be identified with Stalin.

Please bear in mind that links that lead to other sites that publish slurs are still allowed, provided their sole purpose is not to abuse.

Also, please bear in mind that the administrative team walks a tightrope. On the one hand, we don't want members to be abused; on the other, we don't want to stifle expression, and sometimes determining the difference between abuse and expression is simply a judgement call and cannot be made simply by referring back to a set of rules.

While nobody's perfect, it will also help if everyone tries to communicate in the spirit of criticizing ideas on their merits, and people on what they say and do, rather than seeking to fight, flame and insult in the first place.

Ultimately, those who rely upon insults seem to be unable to refute the position of the person they disagree with:

"Personal insults are the last refuge of the intellectual coward."
- Rabbi Shmuley Boteach

Discuss.

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

New no-no words: LISTEN UP YOU FROGTURDS Empty Re: New no-no words: LISTEN UP YOU FROGTURDS

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:05 pm

Sounds very sensible. Although of course I should hate to be manipulating you lol  :D :::grouch:: 

Back to top Go down

New no-no words: LISTEN UP YOU FROGTURDS Empty Re: New no-no words: LISTEN UP YOU FROGTURDS

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Sassy wrote:Sounds very sensible.   Although of course I should hate to be manipulating you lol  :D :::grouch:: 

I imagine some will say so, even though they got "Nazi" stricken from the list and you didn't even post in the "BEN" thread that started this  ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I've stated before that I find the word "c-u-n-t" to be offensive, as in the U.S. it's about the worst thing you can call a woman. Others have argued that it's shifted into more polite vernacular in their countries, so I've held off doing anything.

But, as we have a number of female members and they agree on its offensive nature, it's not to be used any more. I would also ask that members refrain from using other certain words that might be used as general insults but that originated as slurs against women, particularly in an ugly sense against female users. Thus, saying that someone is "bitching" about a problem is fine, but calling another member a "bitch" should be avoided.

Huh-boy.

This one I'm torn about, as it has always seemed to me to be a slur against a political ideology (like I've said before) rather than against a person's race, sex, religion or orientation.

HOWEVER. In the spirit of wanting everyone to feel welcome here and not abused, I am also asking that the word "Nazi" only be used in reference to actual Nazis or neo-Nazis. In the same vein, however, I would ask that right-wing users refrain from identifying left-wing users as sympathizing with the genocidal and/or oppressive regimes of Stalin or the Kim dynasty of North Korea. If it is insulting to be identified with Hitler, it is certainly insulting to be identified with Stalin.

Please bear in mind that links that lead to other sites that publish slurs are still allowed, provided their sole purpose is not to abuse.

Also, please bear in mind that the administrative team walks a tightrope. On the one hand, we don't want members to be abused; on the other, we don't want to stifle expression, and sometimes determining the difference between abuse and expression is simply a judgement call and cannot be made simply by referring back to a set of rules.

While nobody's perfect, it will also help if everyone tries to communicate in the spirit of criticizing ideas on their merits, and people on what they say and do, rather than seeking to fight, flame and insult in the first place.

Ultimately, those who rely upon insults seem to be unable to refute the position of the person they disagree with:

- Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
Bloody Na--

Discuss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 pm

More to say have you, Puriel?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:08 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:More to say have you, Puriel?

Whoops, missed the "bloody Nazi" part -- what was that about?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:11 pm

frogturds huh??? if wit was tits, you would need implants..... Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:12 pm

grumpy old git wrote:frogturds huh???   if wit was tits, you would need implants..... Razz 

Criticizing the use of the insult "frogturd" is not tolerated here!!!!!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 pm

grumpy old git wrote:frogturds huh???   if wit was tits, you would need implants..... Razz 

Careful Victor, I might manipulate you too!  lol! lol! lol!  I'd like to see anyone try!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

How about a pus filled boil on the arse of a mangy cur wallowing in the cess pit at the bottom of the garden?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Sassy wrote:Sounds very sensible.   Although of course I should hate to be manipulating you lol  :D :::grouch:: 

I imagine some will say so, even though they got "Nazi" stricken from the list and you didn't even post in the "BEN" thread that started this  ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: 

There you go Ben. Sassy's post and your reply is a good example of what makes people think you are biased and she has undue influence

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:16 pm

Sassy wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

How about a pus filled boil on the arse of a mangy cur wallowing in the cess pit at the bottom of the garden?

I like it! Though it does like a certain "frogturd"-like pithiness. Not to get pithy about it ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:17 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

There you go Ben. Sassy's post and your reply is a good example of what makes people think you  are biased and she has undue influence

I'm sorry Nems, I like you, but that is just over-the-top paranoid. I can't even take shit like that seriously -- sorry.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Sassy wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

best not to bring your ancestry into the thread. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

There you go Ben. Sassy's post and your reply is a good example of what makes people think you  are biased and she has undue influence

I'm sorry Nems, I like you, but that is just over-the-top paranoid. I can't even take shit like that seriously -- sorry.

Oh lord, send for the men in white coats quick.  ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:21 pm

Puriel wrote:
Sassy wrote:

best not to bring your ancestry into the thread. LOL

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 

My ancestors bless 'em wouldn't have had the luxury of a cess pit in the east end, although on the other side of the family they would have treated the mangy cur as they were vets and doctors lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Sassy wrote:

Careful Victor, I might manipulate you too!    lol! lol! lol!    I'd like to see anyone try!

Dont even try sassy...mrs victor would have your eyes out...thats HER job Shocked Embarassed 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I've stated before that I find the word "c-u-n-t" to be offensive, as in the U.S. it's about the worst thing you can call a woman. Others have argued that it's shifted into more polite vernacular in their countries, so I've held off doing anything.

Huh-boy.

- Rabbi Shmuley Boteach

Discuss.

Fair enough to me!

Like i said, i haven't used the term 'Nazi' on here, to slur other members for ages now!

...Bar once or twice against Tess.

Last edited by Catman on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 pm

grumpy old git wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Careful Victor, I might manipulate you too!    lol! lol! lol!    I'd like to see anyone try!

Dont even try sassy...mrs victor would have your eyes out...thats HER job Shocked Embarassed 

Absolutely, she'd boil me in oil lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Nems its pointless now he's under the spell. We need to send in the deprogrammers. :D 

Isn't this fun its history repeating itself. I'm delighted though we can watch the action this time you can see it rather than catch on right at the end.

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Whitecoat man is knocking lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:29 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Just stop it FFS!  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Clarkson wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Nems its pointless now he's under the spell. We need to send in the deprogrammers. :D 

Isn't this fun its history repeating itself. I'm delighted though we can watch the action this time you can see it rather than catch on right at the end.

I mean, come on. Pretending that I'm not a lefty would be trying to close the corral after the horses are already out. I stated above that I banned "Nazi" against my own opinion; I did it because the right-wingers here are offended by it, to try to make them feel more welcome.

I have sat back and watched as right-wingers hurled tons of insults not only at other left-wingers but at me, personally. I remember BigAndy saying that one of Catman's posts must have made my "fat-man spunk run down (my) leg." https://newsfix.niceboard.com/t1963-extremist-nailed-koran-to-pub-wall-in-protest-against-islamic-centre-plans#22835

Allakaka has called me anti-gay slurs. Here's just one of those times: https://newsfix.niceboard.com/t2202p50-stop-abusing-other-members#29332

Both of them were allowed to post those things, not disciplined, certainly not banned.

Clarkson, you yourself have thrown insults at me that allowed to stand. I can't do anymore to prove that I'm not out to get you lot, and I'm done trying.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Catman wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

I seem to remember saying something like that scratch scratch 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:39 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

He could be shagging her ? now Ben would have my full sympathy if he were.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:41 pm

Puriel wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Ben, is your dick long enough to get over the atlantic, and if it is, how do you keep it up off the pavement?  ::dunno:: ::smthg:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 pm

grumpy old git wrote:
Catman wrote:

I think that i'm very honest in saying, that the majority of posters, that hate Sassy and i are RW.

I mean...Beekeeper (who i quite like actually) seems to only hate me because i love Sassy, and that's over an internal politics issue.

I think that Sassy is a very important contributor to this forum, a good debater, so perhaps she deserves a little more respect imo, especially as she contributes very well here, whilst being very unwell herself.

No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Not *quite* that long, I'm afraid ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Not *quite* that long, I'm afraid ...

Lol, meaning if you pee'd over a bridge you would feel the bottom of the river but not get sucked into the silt?  :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Sassy wrote:
Puriel wrote:

Ben, is your dick long enough to get over the atlantic, and if it is, how do you keep it up off the pavement?  ::dunno:: ::smthg:: 

Sidewalk ????????? LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Catman wrote:
grumpy old git wrote:

I think that i'm very honest in saying, that the majority of posters, that hate Sassy and i are RW.

I mean...Beekeeper (who i quite like actually) seems to only hate me because i love Sassy, and that's over an internal politics issue.

I think that Sassy is a very important contributor to this forum, a good debater, so perhaps she deserves a little more respect imo, especially as she contributes very well here, whilst being very unwell herself.

No 

Thanks Phil, but don't mention the unwell bit or you'll be accused of allsorts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:46 pm

I mean, let's just stand back and marvel at this for a second. I just got rid of two of the words the right-wingers have been complaining about, and this is the reaction.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Sassy wrote:
Catman wrote:

No 

sure one of the vets in the family will help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:48 pm

Sassy wrote:
Catman wrote:

No 

Most probably.
But i don't really care as i speak from my heart!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Puriel wrote:
Sassy wrote:

There long gone honey, although there's a few yappy things on here they would have been happy to treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Puriel wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I don't have any vets in my family...bwankers yes...Vets  No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Catman wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Most probably.
But i don't really care as i speak from my arse!

Flatulence . lol!

Last edited by Puriel on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Catman wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Most probably.

Thanks x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 pm

Sassy wrote:
Puriel wrote:

There long gone honey, although there's a few yappy things on here they would have been happy to treat.

Yea....They keep snapping at the heels, but find it hard to progress from that.

No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Puriel wrote:
Catman wrote:

Most probably.

Flatulence . lol! 

Nope.

....And heartburn getting very rare these days!

Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:00 am

Copyright FROGTURD

Cool 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:11 am

eddie wrote:Copyright FROGTURD

Cool 

Now why would you want to go and be a big frogturd about this?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:12 am

Cool 

frogturd.com

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:14 am

OK, fess up as to whether you tried that URL!  :<:i}: :<:i}: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:14 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Cool 

Now why would you want to go and be a big frogturd about this?

Because it's what I am and what I do.
I'm green and slimey and I smell  No 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:15 am

Frogturd.com.uk/Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:15 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:OK, fess up as to whether you tried that URL!  :<:i}: :<:i}: 

Nope but just about to  cyclops 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 am

newsfix.frogturd.com
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:21 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:newsfix.frogturd.com

She'll skin you alive man!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:22 am

Sassy wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:newsfix.frogturd.com

She'll skin you alive man!

What? You can't click on it and I c&p'd and nothing?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next