NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?

5 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 Empty How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

In this article, John McCauley uses his experience as an Architect and Construction Manager to critically analyse the construction scheme for building the Khufu pyramid and the popular theory of the use of an internal ramp.

There has been an innumerable quantity of books written about the construction of the pyramids at Giza, Egypt. So too have there been any number of different theories on how the construction of these pyramids was accomplished, with each new or expanded theory accompanied by a description stating that it was the “definitive” solution, or “the puzzle finally solved”, etc. Of late, a few authors have focused on the “internal ramp solution” as being the most plausible explanation on how the ancient Egyptians built the Great Pyramid. Indeed, some Archaeologists have also acclaimed this “internal ramp solution” as a creative explanation for this ages-old construction mystery. Most Archaeologists, however, lack the technical training or understanding of the nature of structural forces to make a qualified endorsement of this proposed solution. Let me first state that this “internal ramp solution” represents a complete lack of understanding on how gravity affects structures and why this theory bears no serious thought in the academic world. Before I get into an analysis of why “internal ramps” do not work, let me state very clearly that I honestly do not know exactly how the Great Pyramid was actually built, but I think there are clues that may lead to a reasonable explanation in the future.
Let me first outline some of the facts that we do know about the Great Pyramid of Giza:

• This pyramid appears to be the final evolution of pyramid building that evolved from the mud brick mastabas which were supposedly the resting place of important dignitaries.
  • The Great Pyramid has only one cartouche above the King’s chamber that purports to indicate that it is the burial chamber of Khufu (Cheops).
  • This pyramid was covered with smooth white casing stones that partially collapsed after a severe earthquake and were later used as a “quarry” to construct some buildings in Cairo, notably the Mosque and Madrassa of Sultan Hassan (completed in 1359). Some of these stones contained hieroglyphics. The Greek historian Herodotus claims to have seen the Great Pyramid before the casing stones were removed.
  • If some of the casing stones did contain hieroglyphics and if these stones were scattered around Lower Egypt, finding them and deciphering them could lead to some further understanding as to the construction of the pyramid.

http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/McCauleyJ1.php

Back to top Go down

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 Empty Re: How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 am

says a lot really didge...most of it not good in reality....
kinda sad that you see people as "playthings"

I know I get "judgemental" at times....

I can even get nasty at times...

but "playthings"????

what happend to "the universality of peoples well being"?

or is that subject to "exceptions" too.....

and you know what....

telling someone thay cant navigate their way out of a paper bag could NOT be seen as an insult, by anyone normal.....

FGS...its sarcasm.... Shocked

Back to top Go down

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 Empty Re: How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 am

The Roman construction involved the creation of an immense raised plaza onto which the actual buildings were placed. Another of the Roman ruins, the Great Court, has six 20 m (65.62 ft) tall stone columns surviving, out of an original 128 columns. It was built 5 metres on top of an earlier gigantic, monumental T-shaped construction consisting of podium, staircase and foundation walls.[8] These walls are built of about 24 monoliths at their lowest level each weighing approximately 300 tons. The western, tallest retaining wall has a second course of monoliths containing the famous trilithon: a row of three stones, each over 19 metres long, 4.3 metres high and 3.6 metres broad, cut from limestone. They weigh approximately 800 tons each.[9]
A fourth, still larger stone called Stone of the Pregnant Woman lies unused in a nearby quarry about 1 mile from the town.[10] – its weight, often exaggerated, is estimated at 1,000 tons.[11] An even larger stone, weighing approximately 1,200 tons,[12] lies in the same quarry across the road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baalbek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:50 am

Brasidas wrote:I rest my case on Korben, seriously how wound up is that boy.

Sorry Victor you may not be a gang but they are and ways have been, as they cannot fend for themselves.
Look at how Korben replies, the most infantile attempts to goad, he complains about a subject that involves him, asks to start a new topic yet does the same himself.
It shows up his failings and insecurities, as you know me, I really am not concerned over people like Korben, who I take as a play thing. It is the real bitches I dislike that use posters for their infantile feuds with each other, which they never move on from.

Anyway Korben is too easy and reacts every time, so is no fun really

Laters
Ha ha i will keep this one its like priceless you are truely the forum jester

Dance jester dance for me jester tell us one of your fantastical tales please dance jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:52 am

darknessss wrote:says a lot really didge...most of it not good in reality....

but "playthings"????

and you know what....

telling someone thay cant navigate their way out of a paper bag could NOT be seen as an insult, by anyone normal.....

It is an insult in an attempt to demean the other person, and even worse you defend him which sums up your utter bias. Seriously, as the person on the end of an insult it is me that decides whether it is.not you. You still sadly stick up for wet lefties and badly so
I do see people as play things like Korben because they are so mentally detached from reality. You think that is bad when you say some really shitty things to people and that you look to get a rise out of people yourself.
Sorry pull the other one mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:53 am

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:I rest my case on Korben, seriously how wound up is that boy.

Sorry Victor you may not be a gang but they are and ways have been, as they cannot fend for themselves.
Look at how Korben replies, the most infantile attempts to goad, he complains about a subject that involves him, asks to start a new topic yet does the same himself.
It shows up his failings and insecurities, as you know me, I really am not concerned over people like Korben, who I take as a play thing. It is the real bitches I dislike that use posters for their infantile feuds with each other, which they never move on from.

Anyway Korben is too easy and reacts every time, so is no fun really

Laters
Ha ha i will keep this one its like priceless  you are truely the forum jester

Dance jester dance for me jester tell us one of your fantastical tales please  dance jester

I rest my case Victor

He is too easy mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:53 am

but "playthings"????

and you know what....

Yup that`s me all over i am afraid sarcastic ....but i own that
and thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 am

Dodge is complaining about name calling?

DODGE WHO CALLS PEOPLE PERVERTS?

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3489511464 How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3489511464 How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3489511464 How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3489511464 How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3489511464 How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3489511464 How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3489511464 How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 2581891615

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:59 am

Brasidas wrote:

but "playthings"????

and you know what....

It is an insult in an attempt to demean the other person, and even worse you defend him which sums up your utter bias. Seriously, as the person on the end of an insult it is me that decides whether it is.not you. You still sadly stick up for wet lefties and badly so
I do see people as play things like Korben because they are so mentally detached from reality. You think that is bad when you say some really shitty things to people and that you look to get a rise out of people yourself.
Yet the only shitty thing where said by you to me using false indignation to justify it
your nothing more than a fraud and a liar a person whos words can not be trusted your a joke but keep claiming all sorts of rubbish about me the only person it hurts is you
makes you look more foolish and childish and untrustworthy every post you make

you need serious psychiatric evaluation and soon because you are fucking crazy

Not a doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:01 am

korban dallas wrote:

but "playthings"????

and you know what....

and thank you

Whether you think it is sarcastic or not it is still an insult, just as sarcasm is itself.

I see it did not take long before sassy joined in

See I told you Victor with have one sad pathetic girl gang on flap, that slags Sassy off, which formed because sassy uses gangs to get at posters
Both as infantile as each other

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:02 am

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Yet the only shitty thing where said by you to me using false indignation to justify it
your nothing more than a fraud and a liar a person whos words can not be trusted your a joke but keep claiming all sorts of rubbish about me  the only person it hurts is you
makes you look more foolish and childish and untrustworthy every post you make

you need serious psychiatric evaluation and soon because you are fucking crazy

Not a doctor

Mission accomplished

Too easy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 am

Actually different parts of the brain must work together to understand sarcasm. This sophisticated understanding can be lacking in some people with certain forms of brain damage, dementia and autism (although not always)

could explain a lot i think

ps
Not a Doctor

pps sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 am

Brasidas wrote:
darknessss wrote:hey Korban

want an idea of how they egyptians managed to move them slabs????

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/physicists-figure-how-ancient-egyptians-moved-pyramid-stones/

I wonder how the ancients move slabs like these then Victor, this one weighs in excess of 1000 tonnes, where 3 make up the base of a temple at Baalbek, wonder if your theory would work there then

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 Greatest-baalbek-stones-500

not MY theory

BUT why wouldnt it work....the scale is different....but.......

must say i'd love to see it tried....

I suppose ONE difference may be the differnt surface material///I doubt this is on sand or at least it wont be the fine dessert sand....

moreover the romans have ONE advantage over the egyptians....plentiful supplies of wood (and come to that iron)

It would ...I guess..... be possible to move these blocks on rollers....though you wouldnt want one "getting away from you " would you......

thing is ...as long as the bloody thing can be KEPT moveing then its not too great a problem ...even at 1000 tonnes.....

see "rolling friction" is not so great....and once moving even 1000 tonnes requires a lot less force than you would immagine to keep it moving.....the trick is GETTING it moving....

I have ...on my own ...moved a two tonne wooden building on greased wooden slides....

now getting it started required an unbeleiveable amount of force...supplied by a winch......but when it started to move it did so very quickly affraid ..I dont like 2 tonnes moving quickly How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 1780941361 ...it then settled down and the force to keep it moving albeit a LOT slower than when it first moved was miniscule in comparison....

now ...1 know 1000 tonnes is a bit more than 2 and I know the romans didnt have electric winches....

BUT they DID have the windlass...(which is much the same but slave powered....)

they were competant rope workers and they could make wooden or even iron rollers....(and they had plenty of slaves available....)

so I dont suppose it would be beyond them to move these things...In fact considering the engineering feats we KNOW they did and know HOW they did it would surprise me if they didnt find tis sort of thing little more than an excercise in good engineering.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:07 am

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:
and thank you

Whether you think it is sarcastic or not it is still an insult, just as sarcasm is itself.

I see it did not take long before sassy joined in

See I told you Victor with have one sad pathetic girl gang on flap, that slags Sassy off, which formed because sassy uses gangs to get at posters
Both as infantile as each other
paranoia,delusions ....feelings of victimisation.......go on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:07 am

Shall post this in readiness for Korben's next hilarious rant

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 2Q==

Night, really have to get some sleep.

But ill look forward to seeing some more posts with Korbern frothing at the mouth

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:09 am

darknessss wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

I wonder how the ancients move slabs like these then Victor, this one weighs in excess of 1000 tonnes, where 3 make up the base of a temple at Baalbek, wonder if your theory would work there then

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 Greatest-baalbek-stones-500

not MY theory

I suppose ONE difference may be the differnt surface material///I doubt this is on sand or at least it wont be the fine dessert sand....

moreover the romans have ONE advantage over the egyptians....plentiful supplies of wood (and come to that iron)

It would ...I guess..... be possible to move these blocks on rollers....though you wouldnt want one "getting away from you " would you......

thing is ...as long as the bloody thing can be KEPT moveing then its not too great a problem ...even at 1000 tonnes.....

see "rolling friction" is not so great....and once moving even 1000 tonnes requires a lot less force than you would immagine to keep it moving.....the trick is GETTING it moving....

I have ...on my own ...moved a two tonne wooden building on greased wooden slides....

now getting it started required an unbeleiveable amount of force...supplied by a winch......but when it started to move it did so very quickly affraid ..I dont like 2 tonnes moving quickly How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 1780941361 ...it then settled down and the force to keep it moving albeit a LOT slower than when it first moved was miniscule in comparison....

now ...1 know 1000 tonnes is a bit more than 2   and I know the romans didnt have electric winches....

they were competant rope workers and they could make wooden or even iron rollers....(and they had plenty of slaves available....)  

so I dont suppose it would be beyond them to move these things...In fact considering the engineering feats we KNOW they did and know HOW they did it would surprise me if they didnt find tis sort of thing little more than an excercise in good engineering.....

One huge flaw with the above, the temple was built by the Romans on top of an older structure Victor
So how did they move such large slabs into place

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:10 am

Brasidas wrote:Shall post this in readiness for Korben's next hilarious rant

But ill look forward to seeing some more posts with Korbern frothing at the mouth

Razz
hallucinations....any thing else

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:16 am

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:Shall post this in readiness for Korben's next hilarious rant

Razz

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 J-meme-generator-it-would-seem-you-have-been-emotionally-compromised-516309.jpg?1362277964

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:18 am

Brasidas wrote:
darknessss wrote:

not MY theory

now ...1 know 1000 tonnes is a bit more than 2   and I know the romans didnt have electric winches....

One huge flaw with the above, the temple was built by the Romans on top of an older structure Victor
So how did they move such large slabs into place

without more info impossible to say....

did they fill in the old structure and raise the ground around it...was the old stucture in a hollow or had it subsided... How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 2190311264

one thing is for certain...they didnt, as the druids were reputed to have done with stonehenge(even though druids DIDNT build stonehenge) sing the stones into place... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:21 am

Behave Victor, let me know when you come up with a viable solution to this problem I have presented you with, the blocks on the temple have been placed higher up and are not the foundation slabs, which means they had to be lifted all 800 tonnes of them, 3 of them

Right I have work in the morning so will reply tomorrow.

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 am

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 J-meme-generator-it-would-seem-you-have-been-emotionally-compromised-516309.jpg?1362277964
You show symptoms of several mental health disorders. While they have not reached the level of full diagnosis, i suggest seeking the advice of a therapist is recommended, as the symptoms may become overwhelming, more frequent, and more serious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 am

Yes have heard Bhuddist monks moved stones with sound, I do not discount this as a possibility as sound waves is something we do not fully understand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:25 am

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

You show symptoms of several mental health disorders. While they have not reached the level of full diagnosis, i suggest seeking the advice of a therapist is recommended, as the symptoms may become overwhelming, more frequent, and more serious.

So now you are a doctor.

Fucking pricless.

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3tprnf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:35 am

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

So now you are a doctor.

Fucking pricless.

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 3tprnf
yes you spotted it the one post i forgot to add (sarcastically)

ps
Not a Doctor

well done you:cheers: cheers cheers cheers  round of applause for didge folks

Last edited by korban dallas on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 am

Ps i am up all night any way so your keeping me entertained ....

i might nip away for a game of war thunder but as i say up all night

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Brasidas wrote:Behave Victor, let me know when you come up with a viable solution to this problem I have presented you with, the blocks on the temple have been placed higher up and are not the foundation slabs, which means they had to be lifted all 800 tonnes of them, 3 of them

Night

lifting 800 tonnes stone slabs is (relatively )easy.......if you have enough (potentially expendable) manpower and sufficient time.....

and plenty of timber

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:52 pm

darknessss wrote:
Brasidas wrote:Behave Victor, let me know when you come up with a viable solution to this problem I have presented you with, the blocks on the temple have been placed higher up and are not the foundation slabs, which means they had to be lifted all 800 tonnes of them, 3 of them

Night

lifting 800 tonnes stone slabs is (relatively )easy.......if you have enough (potentially expendable) manpower and sufficient time.....

and plenty of timber

Timber is not going to help you is it?
Do you have 40,000 men to spare?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm

darknessss wrote:

Night

and plenty of timber

The pyramid is estimated to have around 2,300,000 stone blocks that weigh from 2 to 30 tons each and there are even some blocks that weigh over 50 tons

No need to lift 800 tonnes 50 tonne seems to be the max they moved

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:09 pm

korban dallas wrote:
darknessss wrote:

and plenty of timber

The pyramid is estimated to have around 2,300,000 stone blocks that weigh from 2 to 30 tons each and there are even some blocks that weigh over 50 tons

Korben, we are talking about the Temple at Baalbek, which has 3 800 tonne stone slabs on top of 300 tonne stone slabs at this temple.

[size=undefined]Michel Alouf, the former curator of the ruins, once wrote of the Trilithon: [/size]
[size=undefined]'... in spite of their immense size, they [the Trilithon stones] are so accurately placed in position and so carefully joined, that it is almost impossible to insert a needle between them. No description will give an exact idea of the bewildering and stupefying effect of these tremendous blocks on the spectator'.[/size]

The quarry is near by, so imagine it is possible to move them to the temple but how they were lifted accurately into place. Timber would certainly be a problem due to the weight here surely to use as rollers?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Although some think that the Egyptians had more sophisticated lifting machinery at their disposal most historians agree that the Egyptians made use of only the most simple lifting devices

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/about.html

And i would agree with most of those historians
its all very well wishing we have lost some kind of profound technical ability or knowledge to antiquity
And i have no doubt that is true in some degree

but not this
All the tools needed human powered cranes and lifting devices and ramps where available along with man power

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:32 pm

Well aware of heavier Obelisks being lifted upright into place, but this is lifting off the ground and placing 3 huge stone slabs accurately again into place. We are talking a huge weight here being lifted up and then placed perfectly on top. I am not aware of ancient crane that could lift weights that big, even today we have specialists cranes for such weights.

The next issue why use such huge stone slabs when smaller ones can be used, little sense can be made to why they would have done so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Korben, we are talking about the Temple at Baalbek, which has 3 800 tonne stone slabs on top of 300 tonne stone slabs at this temple.

Michel Alouf, the former curator of the ruins, once wrote of the Trilithon:
'... in spite of their immense size, they [the Trilithon stones] are so accurately placed in position and so carefully joined, that it is almost impossible to insert a needle between them. No description will give an exact idea of the bewildering and stupefying effect of these tremendous blocks on the spectator'.

The quarry is near by, so imagine it is possible to move them to the temple but how they were lifted accurately into place. Timber would certainly be a problem due to the weight here surely to use as rollers?
Oh !!! ok .....my mistake

according to a quick inquiry of the inter web
Apparently the quarry was slightly higher up than the temple itself so no lifting was required to move the stones the 800 meters (2,600 ft) to the temple

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Brasidas wrote:Well aware of heavier Obelisks being lifted upright into place, but this is lifting off the ground and placing 3 huge stone slabs accurately again into place. We are talking a huge weight here being lifted up and then placed perfectly on top. I am not aware of ancient crane that could lift weights that big, even today we have specialists cranes for such weights.

The next issue why use such huge stone slabs when smaller ones can be used, little sense can be made to why they would have done so.
The first cranes appear in Greece from about the late 6th or early 5th century BC.used to load ships and build monuments,and placing them accurately is not as difficult as you seem to think ,in fact once suspended only a little force is required to move objects minuscule distances,
and why use the biggest slabs you can
to be honest i thought that would be obvious  bigger is more stable and less likely to move when weight is added above ,simple basic engineering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:44 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Michel Alouf, the former curator of the ruins, once wrote of the Trilithon:
'... in spite of their immense size, they [the Trilithon stones] are so accurately placed in position and so carefully joined, that it is almost impossible to insert a needle between them. No description will give an exact idea of the bewildering and stupefying effect of these tremendous blocks on the spectator'.

Oh !!! ok .....my mistake

according to a quick inquiry of the inter web
Apparently  the quarry was slightly higher up than the temple itself so no lifting was required to move the stones the 800 meters (2,600 ft) to the temple

Not concerned how they managed to move them, which as seen the Egyptians moved heavier Obelisks and could then lift them upright. To me the issue is of lifting such huge stone slabs and into place off the ground. Would have to be talking about some grand ancient type crane and thousands of men to lift this, even then the difficult this would entail in placing them accurately on top.
These slabs sit on top of other slabs Korben.

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 Mpl_5d

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 Mpl_5g

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:52 pm

A major improvement from the 4th century BC and still in use today, is the compound pulley: a combination of single pulleys in a block. The mechanical advantage equals the amount of pulleys used.

A crane with a triple pulley (a "Trispastos") has two pulleys attached to the crane and a free pulley suspended from them. It offers a mechanical advantage of 3 to 1. A crane with five pulleys in a similar arrangement (dubbed a "Pentaspostos") offers a mechanical advantage of 5 to 1.

Using a compound pulley a man can lift more than he is otherwise able to. If a single man pulling a rope can exert a force of 50 kg, he can raise (or lower) 150 kg using a Trispastos and 250 kg using a Pentaspostos. The same goes for the rope. A rope with a tensile strength of 50 kilograms can be used to lift (or lower) 150 kilograms if 3 pulleys are used, and 250 kilograms if 5 pulleys are used.

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/03/history-of-human-powered-cranes.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:55 pm

This is one suggestion I read about.

The next problem is how the Romans might have manoeuvred the giant blocks into position. Ragette suggests the `bury and re-exacavate' method,(33) where ramps of compacted earth would be constructed on a slight incline up to the top of the wall - which before the Trilithon was added stood at an estimated twenty-five feet high. The blocks would then be pulled upwards by pulley gangs on the other side until they reached the required height; a similar method is thought to have been employed to erect the horizontal trilithon stones at Stonehenge, for instance. Playing devil's advocate here, I would ask: how did the pulley gangs manage to bring together these stones so exactly and how were they able to achieve such precision movement when the land beyond the podium slopes gently downwards? Only by creating a raised ramp on the hill-slope itself, and then placing the pulley gangs on the other side of the wall could an operation of this kind even be attempted.

And how were the stone blocks lifted from the rollers to allow final positioning? Ragette proposes the use of scaffoldings, ramps and windlasses (ie. capstans) like those employed by the Renaissance architect Domenico Fontana to erect a 327-tonne Egyptian obelisk in front of St Peter's Basilica in Rome. To achieve this amount of lift, Fontana used an incredible 40 windlasses, which necessitated a combined force of 800 men and 140 horses.

Based on an estimated weight of 800 tonnes per stone(34) (even though he cites each one as 1000-tonnes a piece earlier in the same book(35)), Ragette proposes that, with a five-tonne lifting capacity per drilled Lewis hole, each block would have required 160 attachments to the upper surface. He goes on: `Four each could be hooked to a pulley of 20 tons capacity which in the case of six rolls needed an operating power of about 3« tons. The task therefore consisted of the simultaneous handling of forty windlasses of 3« tons each. The pulleys were most likely attached to timber frames bridging across the stone.'(36)

Such ideas are pure speculation. No evidence of any such transportation has ever come to light at Baalbek, and the surface of the Trilithon has not revealed any tell-tale signs of drilled Lewis holes. Admittedly, the Stone of the Pregnant Woman remaining in the quarry does contain a seemingly random series of round holes in its upper surface, yet their precise purpose remains a mystery.

As evidence that the Romans possessed the knowledge to lift and transport extremely heavy weights, Ragette cites the fact that between AD 60 and 70, ie. the proposed time-frame of construction of the Jupiter temple, a man named Heron of Alexandria compiled an important work outlining this very practice, including the use of levers to raise up and position large stone blocks.(37) Curiously, the only surviving example of this treatise is an Arabic translation made by a native of Baalbek named Costa ibn Luka in around 860 AD.(38) Did it suggest that knowledge of this engineering manual had been preserved in the town since Roman times, being passed on from generation to generation until it finally reached the hands of Costa ibn Luka? Of course it is possible, but whether or not it was of any practical use when it came to the construction of the Trilithon is quite another matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Brasidas wrote:This is one suggestion I read about.

The next problem is how the Romans might have manoeuvred the giant blocks into position. Ragette suggests the `bury and re-exacavate' method,(33) where ramps of compacted earth would be constructed on a slight incline up to the top of the wall - which before the Trilithon was added stood at an estimated twenty-five feet high. The blocks would then be pulled upwards by pulley gangs on the other side until they reached the required height; a similar method is thought to have been employed to erect the horizontal trilithon stones at Stonehenge, for instance. Playing devil's advocate here, I would ask: how did the pulley gangs manage to bring together these stones so exactly and how were they able to achieve such precision movement when the land beyond the podium slopes gently downwards? Only by creating a raised ramp on the hill-slope itself, and then placing the pulley gangs on the other side of the wall could an operation of this kind even be attempted.

And how were the stone blocks lifted from the rollers to allow final positioning? Ragette proposes the use of scaffoldings, ramps and windlasses (ie. capstans) like those employed by the Renaissance architect Domenico Fontana to erect a 327-tonne Egyptian obelisk in front of St Peter's Basilica in Rome. To achieve this amount of lift, Fontana used an incredible 40 windlasses, which necessitated a combined force of 800 men and 140 horses.

Based on an estimated weight of 800 tonnes per stone(34) (even though he cites each one as 1000-tonnes a piece earlier in the same book(35)), Ragette proposes that, with a five-tonne lifting capacity per drilled Lewis hole, each block would have required 160 attachments to the upper surface. He goes on: `Four each could be hooked to a pulley of 20 tons capacity which in the case of six rolls needed an operating power of about 3« tons. The task therefore consisted of the simultaneous handling of forty windlasses of 3« tons each. The pulleys were most likely attached to timber frames bridging across the stone.'(36)

Such ideas are pure speculation. No evidence of any such transportation has ever come to light at Baalbek, and the surface of the Trilithon has not revealed any tell-tale signs of drilled Lewis holes. Admittedly, the Stone of the Pregnant Woman remaining in the quarry does contain a seemingly random series of round holes in its upper surface, yet their precise purpose remains a mystery.

As evidence that the Romans possessed the knowledge to lift and transport extremely heavy weights, Ragette cites the fact that between AD 60 and 70, ie. the proposed time-frame of construction of the Jupiter temple, a man named Heron of Alexandria compiled an important work outlining this very practice, including the use of levers to raise up and position large stone blocks.(37) Curiously, the only surviving example of this treatise is an Arabic translation made by a native of Baalbek named Costa ibn Luka in around 860 AD.(38) Did it suggest that knowledge of this engineering manual had been preserved in the town since Roman times, being passed on from generation to generation until it finally reached the hands of Costa ibn Luka? Of course it is possible, but whether or not it was of any practical use when it came to the construction of the Trilithon is quite another matter.
seems plausible,but i have to admit apart from there interactions with the Egyptians i know very little on Roman history and beside they assimilated a lot of there stuff from other cultures

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:13 pm

I know plenty of Roman and Greek history Korben, but this is what puzzles me why use such large stone slabs, where it does not seem to be the case elsewhere. It is not very practical either from what I understand, hence it would be interesting to understand more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:22 pm

Brasidas wrote:I know plenty of Roman and Greek history Korben, but this is what puzzles me why use such large stone slabs, where it does not seem to be the case elsewhere. It is not very practical either from what I understand, hence it would be interesting to understand more.
Egyptians and the Greeks for me

and simply put
big stones make better foundations ,most houses are build on single slabs of concrete,or have foundations that are one huge mass of material ,small blocks,not only more prone to wear in the elements and movement ,but also it`s more difficult to keep a straight line with small blocks ,try it for your self with Leggo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Fair enough, to me these are interesting monuments from our past which to me leaves you guessing how they were able to achieve. To me we should stand in awe of their achievements more than we do considering the basic technology they used back then

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Brasidas wrote:
darknessss wrote:

and plenty of timber

Timber is not going to help you is it?
Do you have 40,000 men to spare?

dont need 40,000 men

and YES timber IS going to help.....

lots of it

consider tis...the romans documented almost evrything, ceratainly anything unusual and spectacular...they fact that this feat has apparantly not been documented in detail would suggest they thought it of no great consequence...just "another building job"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Brasidas wrote:Fair enough, to me these are interesting monuments from our past which to me leaves you guessing how they were able to achieve. To me we should stand in awe of their achievements more than we do considering the basic technology they used back then
a rose by any other name is still a rose
your original premise is /was we have lost some knowledge we once had ,and i don`t disagree this is true for a lot of things

But diminishing the basic core principles that actually underpin all these "mystery`s " and ascribing what is a pretty basic building principle ie put one stone on top of an other stone and point it this way accurately to a lost knowledge
i feel diminishes there accomplishment and is the root of the alien builder,mystic fairy folk (i know that`s not your claim)
one of the reasons i became an engineer is because of the awe at our accomplishments and wanted to know how things worked
engineering electronic,mechanical,and structural are what i am trained in
The Quaifications i have to be honest are meaningless hear as you have no way to check them and could be complete bullshit
Although i can`t claim a degree
i do have letters after my name

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:05 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:Fair enough, to me these are interesting monuments from our past which to me leaves you guessing how they were able to achieve. To me we should stand in awe of their achievements more than we do considering the basic technology they used back then
a rose by any other name is still a rose
your original premise is /was we have lost some knowledge we once had ,and i don`t disagree this is true for a lot of things

But diminishing the basic core principles that actually underpin all these "mystery`s " and ascribing what is  a pretty basic building principle ie put one stone on top of an other stone and point it this way accurately  to a lost knowledge
i feel diminishes there accomplishment  and is the root of the alien builder,mystic fairy folk (i know that`s not your claim)
one of the reasons i became an engineer is because of the awe at our accomplishments and wanted to know how things worked
engineering electronic,mechanical,and structural are what i am trained in
The Quaifications i have to be honest are meaningless hear as you have no way to check  them and could be complete bullshit
Although i can`t claim a degree
i do have letters after my name

I see your point Korben, though my view is not to diminish but enhance. In that they were very clever and more so than we give them credit for. My view is possibilities proposed do not do the justice to what they have achieved and there is far more to be learnt from them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Can i ask you a question Brasidas it may seem a strange one

do you have a shed
if so could you give me a outline of what you use it for and what kind of tools you own ...or even a picture

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:08 pm

korban dallas wrote:Can i ask you a question Brasidas it may seem a strange one

do you have a shed
if so could you give me a outline of what you use it for and what kind of tools you own ...or even a picture

Just a garage, no shed I am afraid.
Mainly use tools for gardening, which I enjoy. Not much of a handyman I am afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:Can i ask you a question Brasidas it may seem a strange one

do you have a shed

Just a garage, no shed I am afraid.
Mainly use tools for gardening, which I enjoy. Not much of a handyman I am afraid.
see than helps me
like victor who has a very well equipped workshop
i have two sheds with more tools than you can shake a stick at some of them i have never even used (biscuit joiner springs to mind )compressors, generators,drill press wood lath table saw i wold have a lot more if it wasn`t for the limited space
every summer and sometime in the winter i build something  
for example i needed to erect a perfectly vertical pole for my motorised dish .an it has to be perfect or when the dish moves its arc has to be exact
off even slightly of then you miss the satellites ether end of the arc  .it took me a hour (will post picture )all i used was string a spirit level and a post level
...oh and a compass to find true south
then i had to set the motor to the pole and point that south accurately  as well and adjust the elevation. all about a mornings work
no fancy electronics or maps just line of site and common sense and the tools i mentioned
some people are natural engineers and tend to own the tools and know how they are used
But we all also know the "heath Robinson" ways as well that's why problems other see we can work around

A kind of MMmmmm yup i can do/fix/make that better attitude using the principle of KISS

Last edited by korban dallas on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Sounds interesting Korben, you should like Victor show some of your work.

Anyway have a good evening, as have things to do.

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Brasidas wrote:Sounds interesting Korben, you should like Victor show some of your work.

Anyway have a good evening, as have things to do.

Night
he has

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 am

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  - Page 6 R8taN3c
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6