NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

23-Year-old Wins Top Prize for Cheap Bamboo Housing That Can Be Constructed in 4 Hours

Go down

23-Year-old Wins Top Prize for Cheap Bamboo Housing That Can Be Constructed in 4 Hours Empty 23-Year-old Wins Top Prize for Cheap Bamboo Housing That Can Be Constructed in 4 Hours

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:05 pm

A 23-year-old Filipino inventor has just won a multi-thousand dollar prize for designing a cheap bamboo house that could be assembled in 4 hours. Earl Forlales, who is from Manila, designed his “CUBO” housing as a means of solving the housing crisis in his home country. He drew inspiration for the innovative design from his grandparents’ bamboo cabin outside the city. This week, the engineering grad was given the top $64,000 prize by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) for their Cities for Our Future competition. Forlales plans on using money to begin construction on the houses during the coming year.

Materials for the modular CUBO homes cost just $64 (£50) to manufacture—and growing the sustainable material will release 35% more oxygen than trees would, without causing soil degradation. He estimates being able to rent the housing for 0.20£ per person per day. “The world’s cities are growing all the time and there is a real need to make sure they are safe, clean and comfortable places to live for future generations,” said John Hughes, the competition’s head judge and Rics president.

23-Year-old Wins Top Prize for Cheap Bamboo Housing That Can Be Constructed in 4 Hours CUBO-Bamboo-Housing-Released-1024x611

“There were many exciting, original designs among the submissions. However, Earl’s idea stood out for its simple yet well thought through solution to the world’s growing slum problem.

“As we look at our entrants, who are our next generation of leaders, I believe that real progress will be made in tackling the world’s biggest issues.”

See an overview video of how this design can serve as a great alternative for very low-income housing… (Note: The audio is only music, so you can turn speaker down.)

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/23-yo-wins-prize-for-cheap-bamboo-housing/

Back to top Go down

23-Year-old Wins Top Prize for Cheap Bamboo Housing That Can Be Constructed in 4 Hours Empty Re: 23-Year-old Wins Top Prize for Cheap Bamboo Housing That Can Be Constructed in 4 Hours

Post by eddie Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 pm

This is a great idea. Bamboo is a very hardy material - if memory serves me correctly, not that I’m an expert - I just remember my brother could not get rid of it and it kept growing under his house.

I also like the look of bamboo. Perhaps I descended from a panda. 23-Year-old Wins Top Prize for Cheap Bamboo Housing That Can Be Constructed in 4 Hours 1942856362
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down