NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This 14-year-old girl won a $25K prize for a discovery that could lead to a cure for Covid-19

3 posters

Go down

This 14-year-old girl won a $25K prize for a discovery that could lead to a cure for Covid-19 Empty This 14-year-old girl won a $25K prize for a discovery that could lead to a cure for Covid-19

Post by Didgee Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:17 am

As scientists around the world race to find a treatment for the coronavirus, a young girl among them stands out.

Anika Chebrolu, a 14-year-old from Frisco, Texas, has just won the 2020 3M Young Scientist Challenge -- and a $25,000 prize -- for a discovery that could provide a potential therapy to Covid-19.

Anika's winning invention uses in-silico methodology to discover a lead molecule that can selectively bind to the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
"The last two days, I saw that there is a lot of media hype about my project since it involves the SARS-CoV-2 virus and it reflects our collective hopes to end this pandemic as I, like everyone else, wish that we go back to our normal lives soon," Anika told CNN.

The coronavirus has killed more than 1.1 million people globally since China reported its first case to the World Health Organization (WHO) in December. The United States has more than 219,000 deaths, according to data from the Johns Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/18/us/anika-chebrolu-covid-treatment-award-scn-trnd/index.html

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

This 14-year-old girl won a $25K prize for a discovery that could lead to a cure for Covid-19 Empty Re: This 14-year-old girl won a $25K prize for a discovery that could lead to a cure for Covid-19

Post by Maddog Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:39 am

Damn Texans.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

This 14-year-old girl won a $25K prize for a discovery that could lead to a cure for Covid-19 Empty Re: This 14-year-old girl won a $25K prize for a discovery that could lead to a cure for Covid-19

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 pm

All that 'in silico methodology' means is "performed on computer or via computer simulation"... And there has already been loads of this type of research going on, so I don't really see what this girl has "invented"...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down