NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?

5 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  Empty How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:25 pm

In this article, John McCauley uses his experience as an Architect and Construction Manager to critically analyse the construction scheme for building the Khufu pyramid and the popular theory of the use of an internal ramp.

There has been an innumerable quantity of books written about the construction of the pyramids at Giza, Egypt. So too have there been any number of different theories on how the construction of these pyramids was accomplished, with each new or expanded theory accompanied by a description stating that it was the “definitive” solution, or “the puzzle finally solved”, etc. Of late, a few authors have focused on the “internal ramp solution” as being the most plausible explanation on how the ancient Egyptians built the Great Pyramid. Indeed, some Archaeologists have also acclaimed this “internal ramp solution” as a creative explanation for this ages-old construction mystery. Most Archaeologists, however, lack the technical training or understanding of the nature of structural forces to make a qualified endorsement of this proposed solution. Let me first state that this “internal ramp solution” represents a complete lack of understanding on how gravity affects structures and why this theory bears no serious thought in the academic world. Before I get into an analysis of why “internal ramps” do not work, let me state very clearly that I honestly do not know exactly how the Great Pyramid was actually built, but I think there are clues that may lead to a reasonable explanation in the future.
Let me first outline some of the facts that we do know about the Great Pyramid of Giza:

• This pyramid appears to be the final evolution of pyramid building that evolved from the mud brick mastabas which were supposedly the resting place of important dignitaries.
  • The Great Pyramid has only one cartouche above the King’s chamber that purports to indicate that it is the burial chamber of Khufu (Cheops).
  • This pyramid was covered with smooth white casing stones that partially collapsed after a severe earthquake and were later used as a “quarry” to construct some buildings in Cairo, notably the Mosque and Madrassa of Sultan Hassan (completed in 1359). Some of these stones contained hieroglyphics. The Greek historian Herodotus claims to have seen the Great Pyramid before the casing stones were removed.
  • If some of the casing stones did contain hieroglyphics and if these stones were scattered around Lower Egypt, finding them and deciphering them could lead to some further understanding as to the construction of the pyramid.

http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/McCauleyJ1.php

Back to top Go down

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  Empty Re: How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?

Post by nicko Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:44 pm

It was Aliens that built it Didge, we all know that, don't we?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  Empty Re: How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Brasidas wrote:In this article, John McCauley uses his experience as an Architect and Construction Manager to critically analyse the construction scheme for building the Khufu pyramid and the popular theory of the use of an internal ramp.

There has been an innumerable quantity of books written about the construction of the pyramids at Giza, Egypt. So too have there been any number of different theories on how the construction of these pyramids was accomplished, with each new or expanded theory accompanied by a description stating that it was the “definitive” solution, or “the puzzle finally solved”, etc. Of late, a few authors have focused on the “internal ramp solution” as being the most plausible explanation on how the ancient Egyptians built the Great Pyramid. Indeed, some Archaeologists have also acclaimed this “internal ramp solution” as a creative explanation for this ages-old construction mystery. Most Archaeologists, however, lack the technical training or understanding of the nature of structural forces to make a qualified endorsement of this proposed solution. Let me first state that this “internal ramp solution” represents a complete lack of understanding on how gravity affects structures and why this theory bears no serious thought in the academic world. Before I get into an analysis of why “internal ramps” do not work, let me state very clearly that I honestly do not know exactly how the Great Pyramid was actually built, but I think there are clues that may lead to a reasonable explanation in the future.
Let me first outline some of the facts that we do know about the Great Pyramid of Giza:

• This pyramid appears to be the final evolution of pyramid building that evolved from the mud brick mastabas which were supposedly the resting place of important dignitaries.
  • The Great Pyramid has only one cartouche above the King’s chamber that purports to indicate that it is the burial chamber of Khufu (Cheops).
  • This pyramid was covered with smooth white casing stones that partially collapsed after a severe earthquake and were later used as a “quarry” to construct some buildings in Cairo, notably the Mosque and Madrassa of Sultan Hassan (completed in 1359). Some of these stones contained hieroglyphics. The Greek historian Herodotus claims to have seen the Great Pyramid before the casing stones were removed.
  • If some of the casing stones did contain hieroglyphics and if these stones were scattered around Lower Egypt, finding them and deciphering them could lead to some further understanding as to the construction of the pyramid.

By people ...why what do you think ?

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:07 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:In this article, John McCauley uses his experience as an Architect and Construction Manager to critically analyse the construction scheme for building the Khufu pyramid and the popular theory of the use of an internal ramp.

I think we have lost many abilities we once knew in building technology
This can be seen how within a very short time, we have Rolls Royce of pyramids to see them decline rapidly afterwards. I think there is much we are yet to understand in regards to ancient civilizations and think we take too much for granted. I just think there is much more to understand here about what technology was once invented and is now lost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:38 pm

with reference to the title

the answer is ........slowly...... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

This can be seen how within a very short time, we have Rolls Royce of pyramids to see them decline rapidly afterwards. I think there is much we are yet to understand in regards to ancient civilizations and think we take too much for granted. I just think there is much more to understand here about what technology was once invented and is now lost
As you point out (or the cp did ) the evolution of pyramid building can be traced back to simple mastaba`s
you can follow the construction methods used and how over time they changed to resolve problems they encounterd, people forget they are many pyramids in Egypt not just the main 3  that suddenly appeared one day

far from it they are leaning ones collapsed ones big small non pyramid ones you can even see where they hew the blocks out of the near by quarry to build them
they where not built by slaves or aliens no special instructions from god, horus,seth,Ra ect....or aliens (for the most part)  but highly skilled artisans who lived and farmed in the area

the other thing people forget is the ingenuity,determination and sheer bloody mindlessness  of people people don't give the Egyptians enough credit ....and after all they where built for there gods.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:07 am

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

As you point out (or the cp did ) the evolution of pyramid building can be traced back to simple mastaba`s
you can follow the construction methods used and how over time they changed to resolve problems they encounterd, people forget they are many pyramids in Egypt not just the main 3  that suddenly appeared one day

far from it they are leaning ones collapsed ones big small non pyramid ones you can even see where they hew the blocks out of the near by quarry to build them
they where not built by slaves or aliens no special instructions from god, horus,seth,Ra ect....or aliens (for the most part)  but highly skilled artisans who lived and farmed in the area

the other thing people forget is the ingenuity,determination and sheer bloody mindlessness  of people people don't give the Egyptians enough credit ....and after all they where built for there gods.

Yep people assume Giza is the Pyramid capital

At Saqqara, the oldest complete stone building complex known in history was built: Djoser's step pyramid, built during the Third Dynasty. Another 16 Egyptian kings built pyramids at Saqqara, which are now in various states of preservation or dilapidation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saqqara

also I think it may have something to do with the fact that the most amazing thing that Europe had produced at the time was Stonehenge and even that is 500 years after the first pyramid... and they still like to claim one stone on top of another was a technical marvel of the age Suspect Suspect
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:19 am

veya_victaous wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

At Saqqara, the oldest complete stone building complex known in history was built: Djoser's step pyramid, built during the Third Dynasty. Another 16 Egyptian kings built pyramids at Saqqara, which are now in various states of preservation or dilapidation

also I think it may have something to do with the fact that the most amazing thing that Europe had produced at the time was Stonehenge and even that is 500 years after the first pyramid...  and they still like to claim one stone on top of another was a technical marvel of the age Suspect Suspect

it sems a tad unkind to point out that at the same time the greatest achievment in Oz was the stick.........(since as we all know MOST boomerangs of the hunting sort DONT come back......) How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  2418298

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:04 am

darknessss wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

also I think it may have something to do with the fact that the most amazing thing that Europe had produced at the time was Stonehenge and even that is 500 years after the first pyramid...  and they still like to claim one stone on top of another was a technical marvel of the age Suspect Suspect

it sems a tad unkind to point out that at the same time the greatest achievment in Oz was the stick.........(since as we all know MOST boomerangs of the hunting sort DONT come back......) How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  2418298

UMM it was a stick to throw a stick thank you very much How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  3201073460
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woomera_%28spear-thrower%29

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:27 am

veya_victaous wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Nobody is assuming that, the father of Khufu (the supposed creator if the great pyramid), Sneferu is thought to have built 3 pyramids. The Medium Pyramid, the Red pyramid and the Bent pyramid, which these seem to be the start of and design that led to the Great pyramid itself. This is where pyramid building starts to really excel. The point is though how we see the pyramids really decline to the point many are and have become rubble. Why such a rapid decline in building, where as seen the earliest ones still are a standing testament to brilliant engineering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:40 am

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

I am not claiming they were built by aliens, but that we have lost abilities clearly we once had, because as of yet nobody is explaining how they managed to achieve these feats like the Great Pyramid. So I agree with you how little credit people give them how even today we are as perplexed still how they managed to build for example the great pyramid. I mean this is a staggering 2 million stone blocks and how it was aligned just shy of perfect North, South is impressive enough, let alone how they managed to achieve this.
There is no doubt in my mind we have through civilizations lost technological abilities

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:48 am

Brasidas wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

Nobody is assuming that, the father of Khufu (the supposed creator if the great pyramid), Sneferu is thought to have built 3 pyramids. The Medium Pyramid, the Red pyramid and the Bent pyramid, which these seem to be the start of and design that led to the Great pyramid itself. This is where pyramid building starts to really excel. The point is though how we see the pyramids really decline to the point many are and have become rubble. Why such a rapid decline in building, where as seen the earliest ones still are a standing testament to brilliant engineering

Actually I have heard a theory on that to do with political/fundamentalist change that also caused a drop in some of the medical treatment and metal work ... it does seem that something did cause them to lose knowledge even before the Hyklos invasion Suspect
Of course the Egyptians pretty much always erased negative history when they could so I don't think anyone is really sure...

they other theory (but seems to just be guess) is that the ones at Saqquara, being more isolated, suffered earlier grave robbing and graffiti

some of the graffiti is quite interesting like the spot a Roman solider and a Napoleonic solider both defaced it saying '.... was here' Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes seems humans have kept some traditions Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:55 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Actually I have heard a theory on that to do with political/fundamentalist change that also caused a drop in some of the medical treatment and metal work ...  it does seem that something did cause them to lose knowledge even before the Hyklos invasion Suspect
Of course the Egyptians pretty much always erased negative history when they could so I don't think anyone is really sure...

they other theory (but seems to just be guess) is that the ones at Saqquara, being more isolated, suffered earlier grave robbing and graffiti

some of the graffiti is quite interesting like the spot a Roman solider and a Napoleonic solider both defaced it saying '.... was here' Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  seems humans have kept some traditions Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Archeology trying to understand ancient stone building can be flawed where as seen you need experts in the relevant fields to give a better understanding of how monuments could have been built. There is limitations to their understanding in archeology. I am still very interested in why some believe the Sphinx is older based on weather erosion and why some archeologists are so adamant this could not be the case because of the lack of early archeological settlements. There argument is who hen built it but they neglect to rule out the fact we know of other ancient places that do age from this time like in Turkey at Gobekli Tepe. There is much unanswered here and there is to me far much ore that needs to be learned and to me civilizations are far older than we presume. We know for a start that many coastal areas where civilizations would have been , would now be under water with the rising sea levels at the end of the last ice age.
Much more to understand here and why I think it is wrong where some just dismiss out of had thinking civilizations are older.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:47 pm

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

I am not claiming they were built by aliens, but that we have lost abilities clearly we once had, because as of yet nobody is explaining how they managed to achieve these feats like the Great Pyramid. So I agree with you how little credit people give them how even today we are as perplexed still how they managed to build for example the great pyramid. I mean this is a staggering 2 million stone blocks and how it was aligned just shy of perfect North, South is impressive enough, let alone how they managed to achieve this.
There is no doubt in my mind we have through civilizations lost technological abilities
I said

I said "they where not built by slaves or aliens"
I did not claim you said that or even inferred that in the context of the paragraph

if you could be a little less defensive when you read my posts that would be great  
many thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:56 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

I said

I did not claim you said that or even inferred that in the context of the paragraph

if you could be a little less defensive when you read my posts that would be great  
many thanks

Eh?
Think you will find you have misread mine, as not being  defensive at all as was just clarifying I do not believe they were built by aliens. Try reading the whole post in context please.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:46 pm

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:
I said

many thanks

Eh?
Think you will find you have misread mine, as not being  defensive at all as was just clarifying I do not believe they were built by aliens. Try reading the whole post in context please.

Thanks
My bad, maybe its just the way you write , you said

"I am not claiming they were built by aliens"

i hadn`t suggested that you did, but that how that came across ie That i had inferred you did think the pyramids where "built by aliens"

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:17 am

Just because you can't figure out how ancient civilizations built stuff, doesn't mean they got help from Aliens.
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:26 am

veya_victaous wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

It was a marvel of the age, in that region. Just because things were advancing at different paces in different places that had no contact with one another doesn't discount the progress of the time. But I see your point Smile

As to the pyramids, there are many in Egypt mostly falling to pieces and most come after the Giza pyramids as didge says. There could be many reasons for this. But that fact, added with the mystery of the lack of interior hieroglyphs does make the Great Pyramid an irresistible mystery that I doubt will ever truly be solved (though I hope it is in my lifetime!))
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:52 am

Saqqara is the site of the OLDEST pyramids
At Saqqara, the oldest complete stone building complex known in history was built: Djoser's step pyramid, built during the Third Dynasty.

the Giza Pyramids are 4th dynasty

I thought we do know(or at least fairly certain) why there are no hieroglyphs the same reason we know those Pharaohs bodies were destroyed, the Hyksos invaders (who still ruled Egypt for over a century) they almost certainly destroyed them for the political purpose... further evidence of this is the fact that it was after the hyksos that Pharaohs tombs became hidden to prevent them beign desecrated in the future.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:25 am

veya_victaous wrote:Saqqara is the site of the OLDEST pyramids
At Saqqara, the oldest complete stone building complex known in history was built: Djoser's step pyramid, built during the Third Dynasty.

I thought we do know(or at least fairly certain) why there are no hieroglyphs the same reason we know those Pharaohs bodies were destroyed, the Hyksos invaders (who still ruled Egypt for over a century) they almost certainly destroyed them for the political purpose... further evidence of this is the fact that it was after the hyksos that Pharaohs tombs became hidden to prevent them beign desecrated in the future.

Is it really the worlds oldest pyramid?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:40 am

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Eh?

Thanks
My bad, maybe its just the way you write , you said

"I am not claiming they were built by aliens"

i hadn`t suggested that you did, but that how that came across ie That i had inferred you did think the pyramids where "built by aliens"

I think the problem is the written word where how many times for example people read a text and interpret this in their own way. The written word is so easy to read in many different forms.
So no harm done

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:42 am

Yes Saqqara is the site of the oldest pyramid in Egypt; HOWEVER, there are even more which followed the Giza pyramids. None even remotely as big or as enduring as that which came before. Which is remarkably strange don't you think?

Also, the interior or the Great Pyramid is unmarked with hieroglyphs, not because they were destroyed, but because they never existed. The walls inside are smooth. People at the time did indeed 'erase' records of previous rulers they sought to legitimize, but in much more cruder fashion- hacking and carving away leaving a mess still visible today.

How do you account for 70 odd other pyramids in Egypt which came after Giza, some for which there are records and all of which are smaller and less perfect than the Great Pyramid?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:50 am

Eilzel wrote:

Yes Saqqara is the site of the oldest pyramid in Egypt; HOWEVER, there are even more which followed the Giza pyramids. None even remotely as big or as enduring as that which came before. Which is remarkably strange don't you think?

Also, the interior or the Great Pyramid is unmarked with hieroglyphs, not because they were destroyed, but because they never existed. The walls inside are smooth. People at the time did indeed 'erase' records of previous rulers they sought to legitimize, but in much more cruder fashion- hacking and carving away leaving a mess still visible today.

How do you account for 70 odd other pyramids in Egypt which came after Giza, some for which there are records and all of which are smaller and less perfect than the Great Pyramid?

Not quite true Eilzel

There is workers heiroglyphs, well claims to be workers above the Kings Chamber.
On the same page with you in regards to how there was such a rapid decline in the rest of the pyramids.
The point to me is nobody has ever provided a sstisfactory explanation how it was built and to to near perfect alignment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 am

Brasidas wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Not quite true Eilzel

There is workers heiroglyphs, well claims to be workers above the Kings Chamber.
On the same page with you in regards to how there was such a rapid decline in the rest of the pyramids.
The point to me is nobody has ever provided a sstisfactory explanation how it was built and to to near perfect alignment.

Yeah there is some rough hieroglyphs, suggested as 'graffiti'- but none of the massive artistic engraving, the 'official texts' you see in other sites throughout Egypt. Which stands out big time considering the wealth of records we have of the time.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:06 am

Eilzel wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Not quite true Eilzel

Yeah there is some rough hieroglyphs, suggested as 'graffiti'- but none of the massive artistic engraving, the 'official texts' you see in other sites throughout Egypt. Which stands out big time considering the wealth of records we have of the time.

Which I agree and to me suggest these pyramids and the Shinx is far older espcially using geological understanding. I fail to see what the fear is if they are older.
It is the same also in regards to Tiahuanaco, which is regarded as being possible 17,000 years old. All the evidence points to a port and because the last know levels of Lake Titicaca would place the date at 17.000 years ago. So this makes archeologists scared to admit it might be older so they claim it is a cermonial port, which to me makes no sense what so ever. To me there is compelling evidence that civilizations are far older and certainly had advanced building technology. To me most of the evidence in no under the water in costal areas flooded after the last ice age.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:19 am

Brasidas wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Which I agree and to me suggest these pyramids and the Shinx is far older espcially using geological understanding. I fail to see what the fear is if they are older.
It is the same also in regards to Tiahuanaco, which is regarded as being possible 17,000 years old. All the evidence points to a port and because the last know levels of Lake Titicaca would place the date at 17.000 years ago. So this makes archeologists scared to admit it might be older so they claim it is a cermonial port, which to me makes no sense what so ever. To me there is compelling evidence that civilizations are far older and certainly had advanced building technology. To me most of the evidence in no under the water in costal areas flooded after the last ice age.

I'm not familiar with Tiahuanaco didge may have to do some reading on that Smile

But I agree there is a strong possibility the Giza pyramids are older than we are led to believe. Perhaps fear of admitting uncertainty is the problem for some Egyptologists (though heaven knows why...). The idea a greater civilization could have built them, that we don't know anything of, is not so unlikely. Big technological collapses can and have happened. Although slightly different, Britain itself experienced a technological fallback following the collapse of the Roman Empire in the west.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:26 am

Eilzel wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

I'm not familiar with Tiahuanaco didge may have to do some reading on that Smile

But I agree there is a strong possibility the Giza pyramids are older than we are led to believe. Perhaps fear of admitting uncertainty is the problem for some Egyptologists (though heaven knows why...). The idea a greater civilization could have built them, that we don't know anything of, is not so unlikely. Big technological collapses can and have happened. Although slightly different, Britain itself experienced a technological fallback following the collapse of the Roman Empire in the west.

You should read up mate as it is very interesting.

http://www.labyrinthina.com/tiwanaku.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:30 am

Also this Eilzel:

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/archaeology/teotihuacan-/

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:33 am

There is some discussion on the Sphinx having water marks on the lower half of it's body. Does any one know if same marks are on the Pyramids?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:34 am

Also how about this for comparrisons Eilzel:

Comparing the Great Pyramid with the Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan

The Pyramid of the Sun and the Great Pyramid of Egypt are almost or very nearly equal to one another in base perimeter. The Pyramid of the Sun is "almost" half the height of the Great Pyramid. There is a slight difference. The Great Pyramid is 1.03 - times larger than the base of the Pyramid of the Sun. Conversely, the base of the Pyramid of the Sun is 97% of the Great Pyramid's base.
How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  Gp_ps
The ratio of the base perimeter to the height:
 Great PyramidPyramid of the Sun
 6.2800001... : 1
(deviates by 0.05 % from the
6.2831853 value for 2 x pi)
 12.560171... :
(deviates by 0.05 % from the
12.566371 value for 4 x pi)

Comparing the Great Pyramid with the Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan

The Pyramid of the Sun and the Great Pyramid of Egypt are almost or very nearly equal to one another in base perimeter. The Pyramid of the Sun is "almost" half the height of the Great Pyramid. There is a slight difference. The Great Pyramid is 1.03 - times larger than the base of the Pyramid of the Sun. Conversely, the base of the Pyramid of the Sun is 97% of the Great Pyramid's base.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 am

nicko wrote:There is some discussion on the Sphinx having water marks on the lower half of it's body.   Does any one know if same marks are on the Pyramids?

This is the rain erosion, which the Great Pyramid would be difficult to say if it did Nicko as it orignally had limestione outer casings. These were later taken for use in local building by the populace.
We know that also the Sphinx Temple and Khafre's Valley Temple also have such erosion I believe.

This is what the Great Pyramid looked like with the outer casings.

How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  Great-pyramid2

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks for those links. Teotihuacan I did know about- although this was as much a mystery for the Aztecs as it is for us today. I will definitely give those a read later though.

Interesting the base sizes are similar. It's probably just a massive (literally) coincidence but certainly an intriguing one nonetheless.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:53 am

Eilzel wrote:Thanks for those links. Teotihuacan I did know about- although this was as much a mystery for the Aztecs as it is for us today. I will definitely give those a read later though.

Interesting the base sizes are similar. It's probably just a massive (literally) coincidence but certainly an intriguing one nonetheless.

Guess you are right but odd how similar and continents apart such similarities of buildings occur.
Does make you wonder mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Brasidas wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Thanks for those links. Teotihuacan I did know about- although this was as much a mystery for the Aztecs as it is for us today. I will definitely give those a read later though.

Guess you are right but odd how similar and continents apart such similarities of buildings occur.
Not really they are fundamental engineering principles that are literary set in stone and to achieve any success in building huge structures they had to discover them ,and that progress in developing the principles can be seen in how they developed pyramid construction over time by trial and error

form/shape dictates function  ie a wheel can be only round no other shape works as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:56 pm

And as for the sphinx ,not especially difficult to make
if you think about it mount Rushmore took  14 years to construct by a small (relativity )team

the Egyptians had thousands of people working on the sphinx and pyramid constructions ect ect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:35 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Not really they are fundamental engineering principles that are literary set in stone and to achieve any success in building huge structures they had to discover them ,and that progress in developing the principles can be seen in how they developed pyramid construction  over time by trial and error

form/shape dictates function  ie a wheel can be only round no other shape works as well

Nobody has ever been able to fully say for sure ho things have been done Korben, many have certainly tried to explain and have even tried to replicate on a much smaller scale and even there they failed. I am sure the Egyptians built them, what is not clear is to how and if we have lost past technology that had developed.
This is very much unexplained to me. The Diorite  vases for one are a very perplexing mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Brasidas wrote:
korban dallas wrote:
Not really they are fundamental engineering principles that are literary set in stone and to achieve any success in building huge structures they had to discover them ,and that progress in developing the principles can be seen in how they developed pyramid construction  over time by trial and error

Nobody has ever been able to fully say for sure ho things have been done Korben, many have certainly tried to explain and have even tried to replicate on a much smaller scale and even there they failed. I am sure the Egyptians built them, what is not clear is to how and if we have lost past technology that had developed.
This is very much unexplained to me. The Diorite  vases for one are a very perplexing mystery
As you said "many have certainly tried to explain and have even tried to replicate on a much smaller scale"

However there in lies the problem "scale"
the Egyptian did this on a huge scale thousands of workers within a community no budget,no unions,no bureaucracy no time restraints for the  most part  and a support system of truly impressive proportions and skill

these "experiments " are interesting for sure but as a analogue they fail dismally

ps
partly because of Stargate, Egyptology is a bit of a hobby for me and has been for many years alien alien Evil or Very Mad Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:15 pm

The Diorite vases

Think latterly....what did the Egyptians have lots of that could cut granite type rocks.if there construction is what perplexes you ?

we still use this material today in fact

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 pm

They didn't even have money as such
they had a bartering systems and most people worked for their keep from temple complexes.

They actually had a huge Bureaucratic system of scribes and even Specialist gods for bureaucrats judges and scribes (although this does become more apparent in the new kingdoms period)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:53 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Laughing

YOU PEOPLE5 ducked out during your Geometry classes at school, didn't you ! Fess up. now..

pirat

ONLY those lacking in basic maths and engineering principles would try to create mysteries where none exist...

beam me up  
beam me up       beam me up

They are very good thanks, though your answers seems to be of the Veya kind claiming something without any substance

Is that why most archaeologists admit to not fully knowing even with all the expert help how they did it.
I think you will find many aspects of history are a mystery, because we never know fully everything about them and in some cases hardly anything about them. Take for example the ancient Sumerians, to this day it is a complete mystery where they originated from. It is as if they sprung up from nowhere with the first cities.

The region of Sumer was long thought to have been first inhabited around 4500 BCE. This date has been contested in recent years, however, and it now thought that human activity in the area began much earlier. The first settlers were not Sumerians but a people of unknown origin whom archaeologists have termed the Ubaid people (from the excavated mound of al-Ubaid where the artifacts were uncovered which first attested to their existence) or the Proto-Euphrateans (which designates them as earlier inhabitants of the region of the Euphrates River).

http://www.ancient.eu/sumer/

Mystery number one for you.

So thanks for sharing Bee, maybe you can let everyone know with your maths and geography how without all of modern electronic equipment, they were able to near perfect align with true north?

n 2011–2012 AERA began a comprehensive resurvey of the base of the Great Pyramid, the Sphinx, and someof the other great monuments of Giza. We excavated our own archives as well, and with that data AERAassociate Glen Dash attempted to answer some of the fundamental questions that scholars have puzzled over for more than a century: What are the exact dimensions of the base of the Great Pyramid? How well isit oriented to true north?* In this issue, he addresses another question scholars have debated: how did theancient Egyptians manage to orient their pyramids so accurately to true north?

http://www.academia.edu/4035001/How_the_Pyramid_Builders_May_Have_Found_Their_True_North

Mystery number two

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 am

http://news.psu.edu/story/141300/2008/03/24/research/probing-question-how-were-egyptian-pyramids-built

DIDGE seriously are you educated by Hollywood movies???

We know how they were built they Had Copper tools and pulleys and wheels.. just EUROPE didn't and Europeans have Traditionally hated admitting that Egyptians had all these things LONG ago. When was the last time you read book the 1960's? I swear You info is so Old.

But the process of building pyramids, while complicated, was not as colossal an undertaking as many of us believe, Redford says. Estimates suggest that between 20,000 and 30,000 laborers were needed to build the Great Pyramid at Giza in less than 23 years. By comparison, Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris took almost two hundred years to complete.

According to Redford, pharaohs traditionally began building their pyramids as soon as they took the throne. The pharaoh would first establish an "engineering department" composed of an overseer of all the king's construction work, a chief engineer, and an architect, as well as, in effect, a "department of manpower." The pyramids were usually placed on the western side of the Nile because the pharaoh's soul was meant to join with the sun disc during its descent before continuing with the sun in its eternal round. The two deciding factors when choosing a building site were its orientation to the western horizon where the sun set and the proximity to Memphis, the central city of ancient Egypt.

The cores of the pyramids were often composed of local limestone, says Redford. Finer quality limestone composed the outer layer of the pyramids, giving them a white sheen that could be seen from miles away. The capstone was usually made of granite, basalt, or another very hard stone and could be plated with gold, silver, or electrum (an alloy of gold and silver) and would also be highly reflective in the bright sun.

The image most people have of slaves being forced to build the pyramids against their will is incorrect, Redford says. "The concept of slavery is a very complicated problem in ancient Egypt," he points out, "because the legal aspects of indentured servitude and slavery were very complicated." The peasants who worked on the pyramids were given tax breaks and were taken to 'pyramid cities' where they were given shelter, food and clothing.

According to Redford, ancient Egyptian quarrying methods—the processes for cutting and removing stone—are still being studied. Scholars have found evidence that copper chisels were used for quarrying sandstone and limestone, for example, but harder stones such as granite and diorite would have required stronger materials. Dolerite, a hard, black igneous rock, was used in the quarries of Aswan to remove granite.

More detail in link
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:45 am

1) Do they kn ow how many people it took to build the pyramid?

No.
They can only attempt to estimate based off not really knowing how the pyramid was built.

2) Nobody is disputing the tools used and how limestone or granite was carved. Well some granite which I will come back to Another mystery. This though does not explain how the pyramid was built.

3) Your link provides nothing to explain how they accomplished building and the methods they used to erect and plan such an enteprise. I mean how do you move into place slabs of granite weighing 60 tons, which would need countless men to pull not only up a ramp but into place. How was this achieved in such limited space and waith a ramp. See also link about the ramp.

4) It offers no explanation how they were able to allign so accurtately to true north with out any digital or electrical equipment.

5) It offers no explanation how the builders could understand what design and construction would hold up the Kings chambre from the massive pressure above of stones.

6) No we do not know how it was built because it is still being argued to this day how it was done, where people come up with new ideas all the time. All they can do is speculate based off the tools they had for the time and make a best guess.

7) Read the full link from an Architect and Construction Manager who knows far more how to build than your Egyptologist you presented in your article.

We are thus back to my examples of mysteries:

In 2011–2012 AERA began a comprehensive resurvey of the base of the Great Pyramid, the Sphinx, and someof the other great monuments of Giza. We excavated our own archives as well, and with that data AERAassociate Glen Dash attempted to answer some of the fundamental questions that scholars have puzzled over for more than a century: What are the exact dimensions of the base of the Great Pyramid? How well isit oriented to true north?* In this issue, he addresses another question scholars have debated: how did theancient Egyptians manage to orient their pyramids so accurately to true north?

http://www.academia.edu/4035001/How_the_Pyramid_Builders_May_Have_Found_Their_True_North

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:06 am

Nobody thinks it is aliens Bee, try reading through the thread, the point is in regards to if technology was learnt and lost in the past.
For example, nobody can replicate the technique for building Stradivari instruments. Or how about Damascus steel?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Brasidas wrote:1) Do they kn ow how many people it took to build the pyramid?

No.
They can only attempt to estimate based off not really knowing how the pyramid was built.

2) Nobody is disputing the tools used and how limestone or granite was carved. Well some granite which I will come back to  Another mystery. This though does not explain how the pyramid was built.

3) Your link provides nothing to explain how they accomplished building and the methods they used to erect and plan such an enteprise. I mean how do you move into place slabs of granite weighing 60 tons, which would need countless men to pull not only up a ramp but into place. How was this achieved in such limited space and waith a ramp. See also link about the ramp.

4) It offers no explanation how they were able to allign so accurtately to true north with out any digital or electrical equipment.

The sun rises and sets in equal but opposite angles to true north. Using a plumb line, a pole would have been set as vertically as possible. Then, about three hours before noon, its shadow would be measured. This length then becomes the radius of a circle. As the sun rises higher, the shadow shrinks back from the line and then becomes longer in the afternoon. When it reaches the circle again it forms an angle with the morning's line. The bisection of the angle is true north. However, this method would be less accurate than the stellar method, but could be fairly accurate during the solstices
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/pyramidorientation.htm

Also True north is marked in the skies by the north celestial pole. its not rocket science and the Egyptian astronomy begins in prehistoric times

5) It offers no explanation how the builders could understand what design and construction would hold up the Kings chambre from the massive pressure above of stones.

actually that`s wrong
the collapsed pyramid gives lots of information about what happens with the lack of a relief chamber ,and if you have ever seen the inside of the great pyramids relief chamber its no engineering master piece
its purpose was to distribute the above weight through the supporting walls ,a concept developed over time and not a great leap in understanding

6) No we do not know how it was built because it is still being argued to this day how it was done, where people come up with new ideas all the time. All they can do is speculate based off the tools they had for the time and make a best guess.

and that`s all this is speculation based on best evidence

7) Read the full link from an  Architect and Construction Manager who knows far more how to build than your Egyptologist you presented in your article.

We are thus back to my examples of mysteries:

In 2011–2012 AERA began a comprehensive resurvey of the base of the Great Pyramid, the Sphinx, and someof the other great monuments of Giza. We excavated our own archives as well, and with that data AERAassociate Glen Dash attempted to answer some of the fundamental questions that scholars have puzzled over for more than a century: What are the exact dimensions of the base of the Great Pyramid? How well isit oriented to true north?* In this issue, he addresses another question scholars have debated: how did theancient Egyptians manage to orient their pyramids so accurately to true north?

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/pyramidorientation.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:41 am

Eilzel wrote:
Brasidas wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Not quite true Eilzel

Internal paneling in stone that was removed... possibly, it has lost the outer casing and a number of other monuments had materials taken from them

Plus most of other sites are later in different Dynasties... it wouldn't be unheard of for one dynasty to have a particular style.

the alignment to the stars thing ... i think is explained by they didn't have TV plus less pollution (both particle and light).... Consider Captain Cook could find a small island in the middle of the pacific on purpose by the stars... with enough time/people recording star charts it doesn't seem unfeasible.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:42 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Internal paneling in stone that was removed... possibly, it has lost the outer casing and a number of other monuments had materials taken from them

Plus most of other sites are later in different Dynasties... it wouldn't be unheard of for one dynasty to have a particular style.

the alignment to the stars thing ... i think is explained by they didn't have TV plus less pollution (both particle and light).... Consider Captain Cook could find a small island in the middle of the pacific on purpose by the stars... with enough time/people recording star charts it doesn't seem unfeasible.
far from it ....can you spot true north in Egyptian star chart How Was The Great Pyramid At Giza Constructed?  Lepsiu10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next