NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamie Oliver is accused of 'cultural appropriation' for launching jerk rice: Labour MP joins social media outrage and tells chef the Caribbean dish is 'not just a word you put before stuff to sell products'

+8
Original Quill
The Devil, You Know
'Wolfie
Raggamuffin
eddie
Fred Moletrousers
nicko
veya_victaous
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Jamie Oliver is accused of 'cultural appropriation' for launching jerk rice: Labour MP joins social media outrage and tells chef the Caribbean dish is 'not just a word you put before stuff to sell products' - Page 4 Empty Jamie Oliver is accused of 'cultural appropriation' for launching jerk rice: Labour MP joins social media outrage and tells chef the Caribbean dish is 'not just a word you put before stuff to sell products'

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Jamie Oliver has been accused of cultural appropriation by Labour's shadow women and equalities minister and other social media users for launching 'punchy jerk rice'. Dawn Butler, the MP for Brent Central in north west London, picked up on comments from social media about the product and joined in with her own criticism.

She suggested Oliver was using the word jerk to increase the sales of his rice and his product was not faithful to the original Caribbean recipe which is usually a marinade for meat. The Labour MP also suggested father-of-five ask Levi Roots, the creator of jerk barbeque sauce Reggae Reggae sauce, to teach him about it.

Ms Butler tweeted: '#jamieoliver @jamieoliver #jerk I'm just wondering do you know what #Jamaican #jerk actually is?

'It's not just a word you put before stuff to sell products. @levirootsmusic should do a masterclass. Your jerk Rice is not ok. This appropriation from Jamaica needs to stop.'

Jerk can refer to a type of cooking which involves marinating meat in a jerk spice mixture, or the marinade itself. It originated in Jamaica.

The spice mix itself primarily uses allspice and Scotch bonnet peppers - neither of which are listed on the ingredients list for Mr Oliver's product - alongside others.

David Llewellyn wrote: 'I was about to headbutt my desk over this tweet from Dawn Butler because most cultural appropriation brouhahas are nonsense.

'Then I saw this description of Jamie Oliver's "Jerk" Rice. On what planet can "garlic, ginger and jalapenos" be described as "Jerk"?'

Many jerk recipes involve meat such as chicken or pork, but Mr Oliver's £2.30 microwaveable rice offering is vegetarian, with the packaging suggesting it is 'seriously good' with chicken wings.  

Sainsbury's, Morrisons, and Waitrose all stock the product on their websites.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6075597/Jamie-Oliver-accused-cultural-appropriation-Labour-MP.html

Seriously, people cannot win. If people embrace multiculturalism, they get accused of Cultural appropriation. If they dont embrace multiculturalism, they get accused of racism

Jamie, should tell those complaining to jog on.

Back to top Go down

Jamie Oliver is accused of 'cultural appropriation' for launching jerk rice: Labour MP joins social media outrage and tells chef the Caribbean dish is 'not just a word you put before stuff to sell products' - Page 4 Empty Re: Jamie Oliver is accused of 'cultural appropriation' for launching jerk rice: Labour MP joins social media outrage and tells chef the Caribbean dish is 'not just a word you put before stuff to sell products'

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
nicko wrote:I'm sure every one in the country is losing sleep over this .  I'v been worried to death ever since !

Didge was apparently  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

I think it shows you WHO is really getting their knickers in a Twist over it. 
Story is long dead as far the media cycle is concerned yet Right Wing Propagandists are Still trying to talk about it  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Aided and abetted, it would appear, by Left Wing drones. : Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

yes these magic drones that no one can identify in real life apart from an EXTREME minority  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
it's not the Right Wing Propagandists making money selling knicker twisting stories to the fearful.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Jamie Oliver is accused of 'cultural appropriation' for launching jerk rice: Labour MP joins social media outrage and tells chef the Caribbean dish is 'not just a word you put before stuff to sell products' - Page 4 Empty Re: Jamie Oliver is accused of 'cultural appropriation' for launching jerk rice: Labour MP joins social media outrage and tells chef the Caribbean dish is 'not just a word you put before stuff to sell products'

Post by eddie Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 pm

If you can unserstand his Jamaican accent..this is hilarious. I love this guy.

White Yardie!

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4