NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force

+10
Raggamuffin
'Wolfie
Eilzel
veya_victaous
nicko
JulesV
Miffs2
Syl
Original Quill
HoratioTarr
14 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force Empty Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:37 pm

A Muslim woman was forced to remove her veil today as the ban on full-face veils came into force in Austria.
Items concealing the face in public places, such as the full Islamic veil, medical masks and scarves to cover faces have been outlawed.
Only under certain conditions, such as 'at cultural events', will people be able to wear them in public.
The laws are aimed at 'ensuring the cohesion of society in an open society' and anyone violating the rules could be hit with a €150 fine.

On Sunday, a Muslim woman defying the rule was spotted being told to remove her veil in the town of Zell am See.
In a ruling announcing the ban, officials in Vienna said: 'Acceptance and respect of Austrian values are basic conditions for successful cohabitation between the majority Austrian population and people from third countries living in Austria.'
The measures, similar to those in other European Union countries, also apply to visitors even though large numbers of Arab tourists holiday in the Alpine country.

How the burqa ban has divided opinion across Europe

There is no law restricting the wearing of garments for religious reasons.
However in March 2007 the education ministry published directives allowing directors of public establishments and denominational schools to ban the niqab veil.

Judges have on occasion refused to hear veiled women because they could not verify their identity.
The legislation, which has passed the lower house and now has to be approved by the Senate, bans the wearing of burkas, helmets and face masks on public transport as well as education, healthcare and government buildings.
The bill was proposed by Interior Minister Ronald Plasterk last year, as he believed clothing that covered the face hindered communication in public services and could pose a security threat. Violations could result in a fine of up to 410 euros.

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere has proposed a partial burka ban. De Maiziere, one of Merkel's closest allies, said the ban would cover 'places where it is necessary for our society's coexistence' including government offices, schools and universities, courtrooms as well as demonstrations.

The first European country to ban the full-veil in public spaces with a law 'banning the hiding of the face in public spaces', with a law that took effect in April 2011.

The European Court of Human Rights upheld the burka ban in 2014, rejecting arguments that outlawing full-face veils breached religious freedom. The law has resulted in around 1,500 arrests in the past five years, and violations can result in fines of up to 150 euros.

Earlier this year, several French towns sought to ban burkinis, the full-body Islamic swimsuit. The move was successfully challenged in all but one case on the island of Corsica.
The wearing of the full veil is governed by a June 1, 2011 law. It prohibits 'appearing in places accessible to the public with a face masked or hidden, in whole or in part, in such a way as to be unidentifiable'. Exceptions exist, in particular where the workplace requires the face to be hidden, or for the carnival season. Violations can result in fines and/or up to seven days in jail.

In September, Bulgarian lawmakers approved a law that bans wearing in public clothing that partially or completely covers the face, with exceptions for health or professional reasons. Initial violations result in a fine of roughly 100 euros, while subsequent violations are fined the equivalent of 750 euros.

There is currently a debate over a 1975 law aimed at protecting public order that makes it illegal to cover one's face in public places and the provision applies to the veil, as well as motorcycle helmets and other masks.
The anti-immigrant Northern League presented in October a draft law in the Lombardy region around Milan that would ban the burka, niqab and burkini.

A region in the Italian Riviera is to ban women from wearing the Islamic niqab in hospitals and public offices.
Officials in the northern region of Liguria announced plans to enforce the ban in what is described as an attempt to defend women's freedom.

Switzerland's lower house narrowly approved in September a draft bill on a nationwide burka ban, but the measure remains far from becoming law. In the southern Tessin region however, the burka has been forbidden since July 1 and violators face a minimum fine of 100 Swiss francs.

Education Minister Torbjorn Roe Isaksen said in October that the government was seeking regulations prohibiting the full-face veil in schools and universities. Scandinavian neighbours such as Denmark and Sweden have allowed schools, administrations and companies to decide the issue for themselves, while there is no ban in Finland.
Three other countries that have not banned the burka are among those closest to the Middle East or North Africa - Greece, Portugal and Spain.

Morocco has banned the production and sale of burqa full-face Muslim veils for security reasons.
While there was no official announcement by authorities in the North African nation, the reports said the interior ministry order would take effect this week.

The ban has been imposed due to reports felons have been using the garment to help carry out their crimes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4938126/Muslim-woman-forced-remove-veil-Austria.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force Empty Re: Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force

Post by Guest Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:41 pm

good news should be law here too .

Back to top Go down

Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force Empty Re: Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:47 pm

And those doctors who wear face masks during surgery? Disgraceful!!

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:52 pm

I don't think the burka should be banned here.
I do think it should be illegal to drive wearing one, and it should be removed if asked for security purposes......other than that, live and let live.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Syl wrote:I don't think the burka should be banned here.
I do think it should be illegal to drive wearing one, and it should be removed if asked for security purposes......other than that, live and let live.

I agree driving in one should be illegal. I think burkas should be banned in any and all places where you ID needs to be checked
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Original Quill wrote:And those doctors who wear face masks during surgery?  Disgraceful!!

you're so funny Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Miffs2 wrote:

I agree driving in one should be illegal. I think  burkas should be banned in any and all places where you ID needs to be checked

I agree Miffs.

I was talking to a friend, a jeweller the other day, he said he wont allow women wearing burkas in his shop, (he has an intercom before entry) he also refuses to allow people wearing hoodies in, staff ask politely for the coverings to be removed before the door is opened.

I agree with him too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Syl wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:

I agree driving in one should be illegal. I think  burkas should be banned in any and all places where you ID needs to be checked

I agree Miffs.

I was talking to a friend, a jeweller the other day, he said he wont allow women wearing burkas in his shop, (he has an intercom before entry) he also refuses to allow people wearing hoodies in, staff ask politely for the coverings to be removed before the  door is opened.

I agree with him too.

He is entirely right. He wouldn't open the door to a man an a balaclava, this is no different.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
Syl wrote:

I agree Miffs.

I was talking to a friend, a jeweller the other day, he said he wont allow women wearing burkas in his shop, (he has an intercom before entry) he also refuses to allow people wearing hoodies in, staff ask politely for the coverings to be removed before the  door is opened.

I agree with him too.

He is entirely right. He wouldn't open the door to a man an a balaclava, this is no different.

That's exactly what I said to him.
He was afraid people would think he was racist because he had recently refused two burka clad women entry...they had refused to take their face coverings off...so he refused to open the door.
His shop, his rules, and racism doesn't come into it anyway..
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:04 pm

Original Quill wrote:And those doctors who wear face masks during surgery?  Disgraceful!!

You idiot.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

You idiot.

Stupid retort. Are you behind your classmates?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:43 am

Heard the one about the bride who said to her new husband, "now that I am married and we've honeymooned, should I stop wearing a veil?

He replied. "I don't give a fck who sees your face, just make sure I never see it again during the remainder of our life".    affraid  jocolor

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:14 am

That was Quill making a joke,------ I think.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:29 pm

nicko wrote:That was Quill making a joke,------ I think.

Just bored, nicko. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:36 pm

So you don't think it's a problem to force a woman to wear a bhurka??

You're all over the place, support the right for a woman to own her own body, except the face.

The face belongs to her husband who covers it in a bhurka

You're weird

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:07 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:

You're all over the place, support the right for a woman to own her own body, except the face.

You're weird

I support a womans right to wear whatever she chooses. If she is forced to wear anything obviously that's wrong.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

You're weird

I support a womans right to wear whatever she chooses. If she is forced to wear anything obviously that's wrong.

We'll I'm sure all those women forced into the bhurka will be comforted by your views

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

You idiot.

Stupid retort.  Are you behind your classmates?

You, comparing a doctor's surgical mask to a burqa.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:25 am

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

You're weird

We'll I'm sure all those women forced into the bhurka will be comforted by your views

Typical moronic "I'm gonna force you to, to stop them forcing you" why should they listen to you when you clearly have their worst interests at heart.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:16 am

veya_victaous wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Typical moronic  "I'm gonna force you to, to stop them forcing you" why should they listen to you when you clearly have their worst interests at heart.  

I have nothing but good intentions and goodwill for all mankind.

You lot are the ones happy to see Muslim women forced into a bhurka

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 pm

This is one of the few areas I find myself agreeing with smelly. I can just about accept headscarves, but the full face covering as well, especially the whole body covering, is incredibly uncomfortable on a number of levels.

1. Do not pretend that wearing those things is anything but deeply uncomfortable, physically, especially in certain climates.

2. It IS a security issue in many situations.

3. Some women ARE forced to wear it, and there really is NO way of really knowing who is.

4. Human communication is built in part of facial expressions, if you remove that aspect of a person then they are in part dehumanised. If they like that aspect of concealing themselves then it is an issue of trust.

5. It IS a sign of oppression. If it isn't then why don't men wear them? Ever? To any extent.

The ONLY two reasons people have for wearing this are:

A. Religious/cultural brainwashing.

B. Forced to.

It does not bring a woman closer to god (since the idea of god is BS anyway) and if a woman thinks she needs to wear it to curb the desires of men then that speaks of a societal problem which wearing one does not address but evades.

Banning is always extreme but I don't feel I could oppose it (the ban) with conviction. Education should be the real tool used to turn people on this backward tradition.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:09 pm

+1234567
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:10 pm

+1234567
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:01 am

smelly-bandit wrote:

You're weird
Rolling Eyes

Jeez,  you're an idiot,  SmelleeBumster...

Those women chose to let their men lord it all over them, telling them what to wear...

Yet you yourself see nothing wrong in you yourself demanding that they should only be allowed to wear what you see fit  ?!?

And how, exactly, is that you defending their human rights  --  and not having them just shifting from one dictatorial stance to another..

What exactly don't you understand about the very concept of 'free choice  ???'
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:06 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

You're weird
Rolling Eyes

Jeez,  you're an idiot,  SmelleeBumster...

Those women chose to let their men lord it all over them, telling them what to wear...

Yet you yourself see nothing wrong in you yourself demanding that they should only be allowed to wear what you see fit  ?!?

And how, exactly, is that you defending their human rights  --  and not having them just shifting from one dictatorial stance to another..

What exactly don't you understand about the very concept of 'free choice  ???'

I understand free choice very well, free choice is what many women wearing the bhurka don't have

If you're happy with that then fine

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:40 am

Eilzel wrote:This is one of the few areas I find myself agreeing with smelly. I can just about accept headscarves, but the full face covering as well, especially the whole body covering, is incredibly uncomfortable on a number of levels.

1. Do not pretend that wearing those things is anything but deeply uncomfortable, physically, especially in certain climates.

3. Some women ARE forced to wear it, and there really is NO way of really knowing who is.

4. Human communication is built in part of facial expressions, if you remove that aspect of a person then they are in part dehumanised. If they like that aspect of concealing themselves then it is an issue of trust.

5. It IS a sign of oppression. If it isn't then why don't men wear them? Ever? To any extent.

B. Forced to.

It does not bring a woman closer to god (since the idea of god is BS anyway) and if a woman thinks she needs to wear it to curb the desires of men then that speaks of a societal problem which wearing one does not address but evades.

Banning is always extreme but I don't feel I could oppose it (the ban) with conviction. Education should be the real tool used to turn people on this backward tradition.

Spot on. For me, number 4 is particularly sad. That one's face is removed from society. The one thing we truly communicate with.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:44 am

Eilzel wrote:This is one of the few areas I find myself agreeing with smelly. I can just about accept headscarves, but the full face covering as well, especially the whole body covering, is incredibly uncomfortable on a number of levels.

B. Forced to.

Good points, well presented

The question I have is, are you now an islamophobe because you agree with me

Or

Am I now am liberal pale because I agree with you.?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:07 pm

I wonder how many people want the burka to be banned because it is THEY who are affronted by it....nothing to do with the rights or reasons of the women who choose to wear it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Syl wrote:I wonder how many people want the burka to be banned because it is THEY who are affronted by it....nothing to do with the rights or reasons of the women who choose to wear it.

We know you're definitely not bother by women who are forced to wear it.

Youre alright hey Syl??

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 pm

I hate the look of Burka,s, they frighten the horses, and young Children.
More importantly, you don't know what's under them !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:43 pm

Syl wrote:I wonder how many people want the burka to be banned because it is THEY who are affronted by it....nothing to do with the rights or reasons of the women who choose to wear it.

Yes, I might fall into that category. I can't think of a fair reason really, but I just think they're horrible and they have no place in the UK at least.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:

Youre alright hey Syl??

I have already said no one should be forced to wear what they don't want to wear.

You are happy to force women to stop wearing what they choose to wear.

That makes you as controlling as the men who dictate to these women.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes, I might fall into that category. I can't think of a fair reason really, but I just think they're horrible and they have no place in the UK at least.

I think a lot of people fall into that category.
The ones who do.. yet spout all this crap about the burka should be banned because its controlling women, do so to cover up their own reasons.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Youre alright hey Syl??

I have already said no one should be forced to wear what they don't want to wear.

We'll Syl this is a real catch 22 isn't it??

Do we allow some women to choose to wear the bhurka knowing full well that other women will be forced to wear it??

Which you're against

Or do we side with the women who are forced to wear it and prevent those who choose to wear it from doing so??

Which you're against

Choices choice eh??

How does your morality stand up to this little doozy??

Who is more important to you??

Those who choose to wear the bhurka or those who are forced to wear it??

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:50 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

Do we allow some women to choose to wear the bhurka knowing full well that other women will be forced to wear it??

Which you're against

Or do we side with the women who are forced to wear it and prevent those who choose to wear it from doing so??

Which you're against

Choices choice eh??

If she is wearing it under her husbands instruction she would probably be more confined to the house than she is now if it was banned.
If a woman is so dominated by her husband the problem goes far deeper than an item of clothing she's forced to wear.

So banning an item of clothing that some women choose to wear for their own reasons isn't the answer imo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Which you're against

Which you're against

Choices choice eh??

If she is wearing it under her husbands instruction she would probably be more confined to the house than she is now if it was banned.
If a woman is so dominated by her husband the problem goes far deeper than an item of clothing she's forced to wear.

So banning an item of clothing that some women choose to wear for their own reasons isn't the answer imo.

So that's a yes, you're happy for the bhurka to remain legal even though you know some women are forced to wear it?

Wow, and you call mogg a hypocrite

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:07 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

So that's a yes, you're happy for the bhurka to remain legal even though you know some women are forced to wear it?

My first post in this thread stated it shouldn't be banned imo. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

But you know that some women are forced to wear it???

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:22 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

Is your record stuck?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Is your record stuck?

You're a spineless  coward Syl.

You know some women are forced to wear but lack the courage to say "fuck em"

Me??

I say fuck the women who want to wear it, they can wear something else, I'd sooner strip them of their right to wear it than force it one those who don't have the right to choose.

Are you a coward Syl?? Are you scared to choose a side and pin your colours to the mast

Someone has  to go under the bus

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

Is your record stuck?

Me??

I say fuck the women who want to wear it, they can wear something else, I'd sooner strip them of their right to wear it than force it one those who don't have the right to choose.

Are you a coward Syl?? Are you scared to choose a side and pin your colours to the mast

I'm beginning to hope its you. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Me??

At least I won't be lonely, I'll be under there with the death of your integrity

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

At least I won't be lonely, I'll be under there with the death of your integrity

How very poetic. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

How very poetic. Razz

Ruskies fancy themselves as poets.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 pm

B. Forced to.

Being an Atheist I understand your reasoning

But I disagree.

You think it's a sign of oppression because you have been bought up that way.

It isn't.

Some are forced some wear it very happily.

Why because THEY CAN and it's their free will.

See the irony here?
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

How very poetic. Razz

Ruskies fancy themselves as poets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 am

Call 'em "Massa," Ruski.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:34 am

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Is your record stuck?

Me??

and that is why you are a useless coward and Syl is braver than you'll ever be or have ever been.

If you are not secular Smelly then FUCK OFF to Saudi Arabia or some other nation that still makes laws on millennia old middle eastern fairytales
Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force 4233679493
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:14 am

veya_victaous wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Me??

and that is why you are a useless coward and Syl is braver than you'll ever be or have ever been.

If you are not secular Smelly then FUCK OFF to Saudi Arabia or some other nation that still  makes laws on millennia old middle eastern fairytales
Austrian police force women to uncover their faces as country's 'burka ban' comes into force 4233679493

Is that because the bhurka is a well known symbol of secularism??

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Youre alright hey Syl??

Don't you think that this tradition of covering the face and body is so deeply ingrained that women have had no choice but to decide to accept it in order to take away the true meaning of it.   One cannot deny that it's a device to control women, to perpetrate the 'chattel' syndrome that it so clearly represents.   You can put as many pretty bells on this as you like, but the fact remains.  It was a device created by men to control women.    It has fuck all to do with God.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next