NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In-your-face racism has returned and few are fighting against it

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

In-your-face racism has returned and few are fighting against it  - Page 3 Empty In-your-face racism has returned and few are fighting against it

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Last week on the No 9 bus, a middle-aged white woman shouted “bloody Paki” and spat at me. The sputum landed on the back of my seat, grey and revolting as she was.

No one said a thing, not even the black and Asian people around me. They all lowered or averted their eyes. I was spat at in 1972, too, after exiled Ugandan Asians with British passports arrived here. That time I was sitting quietly in a park in Oxford, reading Middlemarch. So you think it’s much better than the really bad old days? The truth is that, since 2001, in-your-face racism has returned. But those who suffer it just have to swallow the insults and degradation.

The difference is that, back then, we had politicians of all parties, including Tories, who felt keenly that racial prejudice and discrimination were unjust and reprehensible. They passed laws, used government purchasing power to get companies to operate fairly and, bit by bit, made racism unacceptable in the public space. Now those at the top – with the exception of Diane Abbott – say nothing and do even less about this stain on our society. Ethnic-minority politicians are the biggest cowards of the lot.

Even Margaret Thatcher, a little Englander, funded major projects to test the levels of race discrimination in Britain. I know because my husband, Colin Brown, was commissioned to carry out an expensive social survey paid for by her ministers. He devised empirical tests and proved that people were being denied jobs and housing because of their race or ethnicity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/inyourface-racism-has-returned-and-few-are-fighting-against-it-9850050.html

Excellent argument and so true.
All this balls about no debate on immigration, when all I Have heard about for the last few years is nothing but immigration.
This nation is sadly going backwards with some in this country and I for one will stand against such hate and bullshit.

Back to top Go down

In-your-face racism has returned and few are fighting against it  - Page 3 Empty Re: In-your-face racism has returned and few are fighting against it

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:20 pm

sleep well Didge....

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3