NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts

4 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts - Page 3 Empty Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

A Falklands war hero was forced to flog his medals for £500 after he was hit in the pocket by the hated bedroom tax.

Jim Pritchard's arrears mounted as his state income was cut by £23 a week by the controversial Con-Dem welfare reforms.

The 61-year-old, whose war wounds and injuries from a car accident left him unable to work, admitted he had no option but to sell the medals for a sliver of their true value to make ends meet.

The decorated former soldier, who served his country for 11 years in the Falklands, Northern Ireland and Cyprus, said: "One of the wounds I have got is a head wound, and I have got severe tinnitus. I was in a road accident too, and physical exercise is a no-no. I can’t work.

“I think it’s absolutely disgusting that Maria Miller is allowed to get away with it, while we’re punished like this.”

The grandfather, from Birkenhead, Merseyside, said his wife Bernadette, 59, is also out of work.

He added: “I’m probably better placed to cope with it than most people, but it’s just not fair. This Bedroom Tax – anybody who has finished work or is disabled is being absolutely hammered by it.

“The irony of it is I have seen the same set sold for £15,000 elsewhere. I only got £500 for them.”

Labour MP Frank Field, who represents Mr Pritchard's home town, just miles from controversial employment minister Esther McVeigh's more affluent West Wirral constituency.

Mr Field said: “Could there be a worse example of Tory Bedroom Tax cruelty than that our war heroes are now being penalised because of yesteryear’s housing errors in not building enough single-bedroomed accommodation?”

A Department for Work and Pensions spokesperson said Mr Pritchard's local Wirral Council had been given more than £1m to help people affected by welfare reforms.

He added: "We owe the men and women who have served their country a debt of gratitude for the considerable sacrifice they have made to keep the country safe.

"Our reforms are absolutely necessary to restore fairness to the system and make better use of social housing when hundreds of thousands of people across the country live in cramped, overcrowded accommodation."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/falklands-hero-hit-bedroom-tax-3396286#ixzz2ycBMVWgx
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Totally disgusting.

Back to top Go down

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts - Page 3 Empty Re: Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:57 am

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's not my fault he's disabled, and it's not my fault he has a spare bedroom either. Tell you what - I'll move into a three bedroom house on my own and the tax payers can pay for all three rooms. How does that sound?

It sounds like you are an idiot that doesn't understand the situation. HE WANTS TO MOVE TO A SMALLER PLACE AND CAN'T BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He became disabled defending you and your family and every family in this country. We owe him his dignity and putting him in a position, though no fault of his own, that he has to sell his medals is a disgrace to every member of this country that he stood up and fought for.

You're guessing Sassy. It isn't perfectly clear how disabled he is and it appears his main injuries were from a car accident.

"through no fault of his own"?? We don't know if he hasn't squandered a fortune in the last 5 years. We don't know if he likes spending money on whores.

If he received his injuries in the armed forces he was on the same pension as myself - AFP75 - he'd have been well looked after. The salaries in the armed forces have always been good and the benefits too - when you're in and as you are leaving.

Good luck to the guy!

Back to top Go down

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts - Page 3 Empty Re: Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:43 pm

I take it that the view of the left wing posters on here is that we have enough money to pay for over size houses for everyone on benefits. Might I point out we as a country have been borrowing money since 2008! We are not running surpluses we are running deficits.

At what point do you acknowledge the fact we cannot afford everything?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Santana wrote:I take it that the view of the left wing posters on here is that we have enough money to pay for over size houses for everyone on benefits. Might I point out we as a country have been borrowing money since 2008!  We are not running surpluses we are running deficits.

At what point do you acknowledge the fact we cannot afford everything?

Have we not been borrowing money long before 2008 chief?

What about rich pensioners in receipt of heating allowances and other benefits?, suppose that's ok by today's average Right wing posters?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:That just made up my mind Rags, you're a WUM and a very bad WUM and definitely not worth anyone's time.   In fact, you post so like GIG it's uncanny.

Awww, you didn't say that when you were stirring via PM.

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjs-s2R6LMfTIi6laiGXJ6aFhYpGirDeT6GWBpDKH8EaVHFEzt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:41 pm

As to the OP, you cant penalise people or not downsizing when there is no accommodation to downsize to.
I wonder why he didnt receive any help from the British Legion?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Nems wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjs-s2R6LMfTIi6laiGXJ6aFhYpGirDeT6GWBpDKH8EaVHFEzt
 lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:That just made up my mind Rags, you're a WUM and a very bad WUM and definitely not worth anyone's time.   In fact, you post so like GIG it's uncanny.

Wouldn't pm you if you were the only person on the forum. That'll Nems, who's says 'take it to pm' when she doesn't like it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:57 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Sassy wrote:

It sounds like you are an idiot that doesn't understand the situation.   HE WANTS TO MOVE TO A SMALLER PLACE AND CAN'T BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He became disabled defending you and your family and every family in this country.   We owe him his dignity and putting him in a position, though no fault of his own, that he has to sell his medals is a disgrace to every member of this country that he stood up and fought for.

You're guessing Sassy.  It isn't perfectly clear how disabled he is and it appears his main injuries were from a car accident.

"through no fault of his own"??  We don't know if he hasn't squandered a fortune in the last 5 years.  We don't know if he likes spending money on whores.

If he received his injuries in the armed forces he was on the same pension as myself - AFP75 - he'd have been well looked after.  The salaries in the armed forces have always been good and the benefits too - when you're in and as you are leaving.

Good luck to the guy!

I'm guessing? Didn't you read what Frank Field said who has taken up his case?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:28 pm

It's not a tax. It's an end to housing benefit saying for people to hate spare rooms.

If they want to stay in oversized places then they can pay for it themselves.

What's to stop the wife working?

It's a shame this guy felt that he had to sell his medals but he's obviously not very good with money if he took only £500 when he knows them to be worth thousands...!

It's also a shame that tax payers have been funding people to live in much larger houses than they need or wouldn't pay for themselves for years. I'm gjad efforts are being made to stop this.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Wouldn't pm you if you were the only person on the forum.   That'll Nems, who's says 'take it to pm' when she doesn't like it.  

Whoa just a minute! The last thing I would do is tell you to take it to PMs I have experienced the trouble and falling out your PMing causes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3