NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts Empty Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:20 pm

A Falklands war hero was forced to flog his medals for £500 after he was hit in the pocket by the hated bedroom tax.

Jim Pritchard's arrears mounted as his state income was cut by £23 a week by the controversial Con-Dem welfare reforms.

The 61-year-old, whose war wounds and injuries from a car accident left him unable to work, admitted he had no option but to sell the medals for a sliver of their true value to make ends meet.

The decorated former soldier, who served his country for 11 years in the Falklands, Northern Ireland and Cyprus, said: "One of the wounds I have got is a head wound, and I have got severe tinnitus. I was in a road accident too, and physical exercise is a no-no. I can’t work.

“I think it’s absolutely disgusting that Maria Miller is allowed to get away with it, while we’re punished like this.”

The grandfather, from Birkenhead, Merseyside, said his wife Bernadette, 59, is also out of work.

He added: “I’m probably better placed to cope with it than most people, but it’s just not fair. This Bedroom Tax – anybody who has finished work or is disabled is being absolutely hammered by it.

“The irony of it is I have seen the same set sold for £15,000 elsewhere. I only got £500 for them.”

Labour MP Frank Field, who represents Mr Pritchard's home town, just miles from controversial employment minister Esther McVeigh's more affluent West Wirral constituency.

Mr Field said: “Could there be a worse example of Tory Bedroom Tax cruelty than that our war heroes are now being penalised because of yesteryear’s housing errors in not building enough single-bedroomed accommodation?”

A Department for Work and Pensions spokesperson said Mr Pritchard's local Wirral Council had been given more than £1m to help people affected by welfare reforms.

He added: "We owe the men and women who have served their country a debt of gratitude for the considerable sacrifice they have made to keep the country safe.

"Our reforms are absolutely necessary to restore fairness to the system and make better use of social housing when hundreds of thousands of people across the country live in cramped, overcrowded accommodation."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/falklands-hero-hit-bedroom-tax-3396286#ixzz2ycBMVWgx
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Totally disgusting.

Back to top Go down

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts Empty Re: Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Bloody IDS should buy his medals back for him!

Back to top Go down

Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts Empty Re: Bedroom Tax 'forces Falklands war hero to sell his prized medals' after being crippled by benefits cuts

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:45 pm

That's a disgraceful state of affairs, the guy risks his life and this is the thanks he gets , I'm truly lost for words.

I really hope now that Scotland go it alone, I think there will be people who would not survive another RW government,,,

But sadly that would still leave many vulnerable people in the other home nations with future RW governments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Sassy wrote:Bloody IDS should buy his medals back for him!

He's as sleakit git that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:24 pm

And not worth 10th of that poor man!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:26 pm

Sassy wrote:And not worth 10th of that poor man!

So right Sassy, this is how bad Britain has become under them, IF Scots vote yes, you best hurry up here with your fella before things get even worse..

What a terrible state of affairs Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:32 pm

This man hasn't looked after his finances correctly.

If it is true that he can't work because of his injuries he'll be well looked after.

The one pay rise I can rely on is my war pension!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:37 pm

Yea Andy, I'm sure he got rid of his medals for the fun of it and without making sure he had explored every avenue open to him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:41 pm

What benefits is he on? What has the review board decided his level of disablement is?

It must be bad, it says he can't work. I'll look things up later for you.

Let's get some facts on this story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:46 pm

What you going to do - interview him to find out what he is on? Do you really think that a proud ex soldier would sell his medals for nothing? And if he is on Housing Benefit he can't be getting much can he.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:20 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:What benefits is he on?  What has the review board decided his level of disablement is?

It must be bad, it says he can't work.  I'll look things up later for you.

Let's get some facts on this story.

..hey Andy, it's great to see you again chief Smile, I was feeling a bit bad as word had come to me that I had upset you with my three strikes stunt?..

Great to see you bounce back mate Smile cheers 

...one goofer to another eh!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 pm

It isn't a tax Sassy how many times do you have to be told. It is a reduction in rent commensurate with the amount of space required by the recipient. What is disgusting is people receiving more housing benefit at the expense of taxpayers who cannot themselves afford oversized properties.

IT ISN'T A TAX!! Just how thick are you lefties. Benefit recipients don't pay tax full stop!

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:21 pm

I honestly don't know how it is causing hardship , how much weekly on average are these people losing in housing benefit ?

I wonder if they got rid of some luxuries such as fags and booze maybe the dog/dogs they are having to feed they could manage .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:39 pm

VOD(original) wrote:I honestly don't know how it is causing hardship , how much weekly on average are these people losing in housing benefit ?

I wonder if they got rid of some luxuries such as fags and booze maybe the dog/dogs they are having to feed they could manage .
people like you should be "got rid of"

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Not this again. They obviously have a bedroom they don't need - it's as simple as that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Not this again. They obviously have a bedroom they don't need - it's as simple as that.

OFFS!!!!!! Frank Field is standing up for him, do you have the slightest idea of what Frank Field stands for and his views on standing on your own two feet etc? Frank Field has said there is not a smaller property for this man to move to, get it? He is willing to move, there is zero, nada, zilch for him to move to. Because of it, he had to sell his medals at a loss, and you come out with that load of dog's do-dos. He is disabled because of fighting for this country, and you don't think we owe him a roof over his head and a decent way of living without having to give up his medals. You are a disgrace, a total waste of time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Alright said Fred wrote:It isn't a tax Sassy how many times do you have to be told. It is a reduction in rent commensurate with the amount of space required by the recipient. What is disgusting is people receiving more housing benefit at the expense of taxpayers who cannot themselves afford oversized properties.

IT ISN'T A TAX!! Just how thick are you lefties. Benefit recipients don't pay tax full stop!

It acts in the same way as a tax in that it's deducted at source and not a bill that you have to pay. As far as I'm concerned it's a tax and I'm calling it a tax and so are millions of other people as well and nothing is going to stop it.

So what's your advice the the old soldier that felt he had to flog his medals?

GET OUT - is that your message?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Alright said Fred wrote:It isn't a tax Sassy how many times do you have to be told. It is a reduction in rent commensurate with the amount of space required by the recipient. What is disgusting is people receiving more housing benefit at the expense of taxpayers who cannot themselves afford oversized properties.

FAIL.

https://www.gov.uk/taxable-income/state-benefits-that-are-taxable

Multi ID freak!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Not this again. They obviously have a bedroom they don't need - it's as simple as that.

OFFS!!!!!!   Frank Field is standing up for him, do you have the slightest idea of what Frank Field stands for and his views on standing on your own two feet etc?   Frank Field has said there is not a smaller property for this man to move to, get it?   He is willing to move, there is zero, nada, zilch for him to move to.   Because of it, he had to sell his medals at a loss, and you come out with that load of dog's do-dos.   He is disabled because of fighting for this country, and you don't think we owe him a roof over his head and a decent way of living without having to give up his medals.   You are a disgrace, a total waste of time.

It's not my fault he's disabled, and it's not my fault he has a spare bedroom either. Tell you what - I'll move into a three bedroom house on my own and the tax payers can pay for all three rooms. How does that sound?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:57 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:

OFFS!!!!!!   Frank Field is standing up for him, do you have the slightest idea of what Frank Field stands for and his views on standing on your own two feet etc?   Frank Field has said there is not a smaller property for this man to move to, get it?   He is willing to move, there is zero, nada, zilch for him to move to.   Because of it, he had to sell his medals at a loss, and you come out with that load of dog's do-dos.   He is disabled because of fighting for this country, and you don't think we owe him a roof over his head and a decent way of living without having to give up his medals.   You are a disgrace, a total waste of time.

It's not my fault he's disabled, and it's not my fault he has a spare bedroom either. Tell you what - I'll move into a three bedroom house on my own and the tax payers can pay for all three rooms. How does that sound?

It sounds like you are an idiot that doesn't understand the situation. HE WANTS TO MOVE TO A SMALLER PLACE AND CAN'T BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He became disabled defending you and your family and every family in this country. We owe him his dignity and putting him in a position, though no fault of his own, that he has to sell his medals is a disgrace to every member of this country that he stood up and fought for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It sounds like you are an idiot that doesn't understand the situation.   HE WANTS TO MOVE TO A SMALLER PLACE AND CAN'T BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He became disabled defending you and your family and every family in this country.   We owe him his dignity and putting him in a position, though no fault of his own, that he has to sell his medals is a disgrace to every member of this country that he stood up and fought for.

You mean he wants to move to another subsidised council property.

He was also in a car crash.

The fact is that he has a bedroom he doesn't need. Perhaps they could get a lodger in.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 pm

well you are a spare part are you not ragga....
It IS in part "your fault" and every last one of us....
We expect those who serve to be there to protect US, when the chips are down....
I doubt you would have the balls (or whatever does the same job for a woman)

No doubt you subscribe to that old rhyme...

Its Tommy this
and Tommy that
and chuck him out
The brute

But its "saviour of the country"
when the guns begin to shoot.

You whineing lot forget exactly WHY you can whinge, bitch and moan...
and how many brave and good young men gave their lives so useless wastes of space can sit and tell those less fortunate ..."hard luck"

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:well you are a spare part are you not ragga....
We expect those who serve to be there to protect US, when the chips are down....

Its Tommy this
and Tommy that
and chuck him out
The brute

and how many brave and good young men gave their lives so useless wastes of space can sit and tell those less fortunate ..."hard luck"

It's not my fault at all. I didn't tell him to join the army or move into a council house.

I'm a bit tired of all these sob stories.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 pm

YOU should hang your head in shame after that rubbish....

Now you see why I despise the weak pathetic and ghastly R/W
even more than I despise the equally weak and pathetic, but at least good hearted L/W

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:05 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:YOU should hang your head in shame after that rubbish....

Now you see why I despise the weak pathetic and ghastly R/W
even more than  I despise the equally weak and pathetic, but at least good hearted L/W

I don't really care who you despise tbh. You're a bit of an idiot anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:05 pm

And I'm so tired of people without a trace of humanity setting themselves up in judgement on people who have fought and defended them. And I know who looks the better person, and it not people like you, who actually look as if you are lost the part of yourself that is worth having and clung to the part you should have thrown away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Despise her Victor, you would have to think she was worth considering to despise. Come the revolution her sort should be the first to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:well you are a spare part are you not ragga....

Its Tommy this
and Tommy that
and chuck him out
The brute

It's not my fault at all. I didn't tell him to join the army or move into a council house.

nah, your just a spiteful mean R/Wer.....

I just hope that "whoever" it is whos job is to know these things knows your feelings.....and if things ever go pear shaped, puts you at the bottom of the list of concerns....
Perhaps you would like the equally brave civilian services to treat you like you deserve....

hello fire brigade

Oh fire at Raggas

its ok guys take your time......

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Sassy wrote:And I'm so tired of people without a trace of humanity setting themselves up in judgement on people who have fought and defended them.   And I know who looks the better person, and it not people like you, who actually look as if you are lost the part of yourself that is worth having and clung to the part you should have thrown away.

Why? Because I don't think the tax payers should pay for people to have spare bedrooms? It's hardly a crime to think that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:09 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

nah, your just a spiteful mean R/Wer.....

I just hope that "whoever" it is whos job is to know these things knows your feelings.....and if things ever go pear shaped, puts you at the bottom of the list of concerns....
Perhaps you would like the equally brave civilian services to treat you like you deserve....

hello fire brigade

Oh fire at Raggas

its ok guys take your time......

You don't like being labelled do you? You don't mind labelling others though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Sassy wrote:Despise her Victor, you would have to think she was worth considering to despise.   Come the revolution her sort should be the first to go.

Go where?  Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:And I'm so tired of people without a trace of humanity setting themselves up in judgement on people who have fought and defended them.   And I know who looks the better person, and it not people like you, who actually look as if you are lost the part of yourself that is worth having and clung to the part you should have thrown away.

Why? Because I don't think the tax payers should pay for people to have spare bedrooms? It's hardly a crime to think that.

OK, obviously not worth talking to you as a human being, your trouble is you are just too dumb.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 pm

What's this revolution then? A revolt by people on benefits?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:Despise her Victor, you would have to think she was worth considering to despise.   Come the revolution her sort should be the first to go.

Go where?  Laughing

Up against the wall and shot, the world would be well rid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

OK, obviously not worth talking to you as a human being, your trouble is you are just too dumb.

I take it you're on benefits yourself.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Go where?  Laughing

You want people to be shot in the UK for their opinions? That sounds a bit nazi-like to me. Are you a secret fascist?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:

No, I'm retired, my OH works and so does my grandaughter who lives with us.

However, a large proportion of people that work are on benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:

You want people to be shot in the UK for their opinions? That sounds a bit nazi-like to me. Are you a secret fascist?

I'd get rid of you for being a dumb fuck, without a trace of empathy for other people and revelling in it, which makes you the lowest of the low.   You are not worth the term 'human being', I know animals with more humanity.

Last edited by Sassy on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm

me? labelling...ah I forget..its ok for YOU to label the unfortunate as "scroungers" isnt it....

If ...pah...its a big if....your lot (R/Wers) sorted YOUR tax dodging "scroungers " out, both individual and corporate,
THEN I might agree to a case for cracking down on benefit fraud/benefit over use etc...however the truth is that if ever the tax dodgers WERE sorted...we would have so much money as a nation we wouldnt need to...

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I'd get rid of you for being a dumb fuck, without a trace of empathy for other people and revelling in it, which makes you the lowest of the low.   You are not worth the term 'human being', I know animals with more humanity.

Oh dear - the all-caring, all-knowing Sassy is a potential murderer.  ::D::
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:

In truth the stalinists shot more people for "political reasons" than the Nazis ......but like thinking...i guess history aint your thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I'd call it pest control.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:18 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:me? labelling...ah I forget..its ok for YOU to label the unfortunate as "scroungers" isnt it....

If ...pah...its a big if....your lot  (R/Wers) sorted YOUR tax dodging "scroungers " out, both individual and corporate,
THEN I might agree to a case for cracking down on benefit fraud/benefit over use etc...however the truth is that if ever the tax dodgers WERE sorted...we would have so much money as a nation we wouldnt need to...

There you go again - labelling me as a "R/Wer". You also accused me of tax dodging, which is a lie. If only one could avoid tax so one didn't have to pay for all these spare rooms .....
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 pm

I do love the Sassy/Victor double act.  ::smthg::
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I'm caring about those that deserve caring and you're not, you have shown that in the humanity stakes you come a bad last.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:23 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I'm caring about those that deserve caring and you're not, you have shown that in the humanity stakes you come a bad last.      

Oh I see - you're very selective. That's not very "caring" is it?  Razz
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:me? labelling...ah I forget..its ok for YOU to label the unfortunate as "scroungers" isnt it....

If ...pah...its a big if....your lot  (R/Wers) sorted YOUR tax dodging "scroungers " out, both individual and corporate,

There you go again - labelling me as a "R/Wer". You also accused me of tax dodging, which is a lie. If only one could avoid tax so one didn't have to pay for all these spare rooms .....

dozy moo.....please highlight the post where i did that....
your reply will be a good test of intelligence.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Of course I'm selective, there's no room for tossers.

Last edited by Sassy on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No, I'm retired, my OH works and so does my grandaughter who lives with us.

However, a large proportion of people that work are on benefits.

Perhaps they'd like to pay for me to have a three-bedroom house all to myself then.  Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Of course I'm selective, there's not room for tossers.

Are you going to lead this revolution Sassy? Don't forget to bring your bus pass.  ://?roflmao?/:
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next