NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updated rules, and some commentary on them

+9
Fred Moletrousers
SEXY MAMA
Beekeeper
veya_victaous
Clarkson
scrat
eddie
ALLAKAKA
Ben Reilly
13 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Updated rules, and some commentary on them Empty Updated rules, and some commentary on them

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:32 pm

The updated rules are under "About NewsFix" at the top of the page. Here's a copy of them:

"NewsFix members include veterans of Shortnews.com and the defunct NewsHabit.net, along with a large influx of members who have found us through ForumMotion and other places.

As the name implies, NewsFix is a forum for the sharing and discussion of news.

It is not a place to carry out personal quarrels with other members, nor a place to discuss other forums, nor a place for posting hate speech against minority groups.

Thus, the first guideline is that a post should, in the spirit of a news forum, be of interest to anyone looking in the category in which it's placed. It follows that replies to such posts should be of potential interest to anyone looking in.

It is accepted that discussions will become heated and that insults will be swapped between members, but lines of common decency and propriety should not be crossed:

Posts that are obviously engineered to insult or provoke other members are not acceptable (action or discipline subject to moderator discretion).

Likewise, posts that are racist, homophobic or otherwise contain hate speech are unacceptable, and those who create such posts are subject to discipline including permanent banning.

Please feel free to PM one of our admins -- Ben_Reilly, Lurker, Caution, Veya_Victaous and Irn Bru-- if you need help. Otherwise, enjoy yourself!"

As of now, everyone is subject to administrator or moderator action if they don't follow these rules. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Just to throw out an example or two of what I'm talking about:

If you were to say, "I'm a Christian and I believe homosexuality is wrong and that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, and that we must join together to stop the gay agenda," that is your opinion, stated civilly, and it would be allowed.

Resort to hate speech, however, and you could be disciplined.

Please simply ask yourself if you're behaving like a civilized person before you post in anger. I am guilty of doing that; we're all guilty of it, and nobody expects perfection.

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Updated rules, and some commentary on them Empty Re: Updated rules, and some commentary on them

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 pm

uh oohh do i hear the sound of jack boots getting ever closer.. :D 

Back to top Go down

Updated rules, and some commentary on them Empty Re: Updated rules, and some commentary on them

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:36 pm

heavenly father wrote:uh oohh do i hear the sound of jack boots getting ever closer.. :D 
Has the missus found you then?! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:36 pm

heavenly father wrote:uh oohh do i hear the sound of jack boots getting ever closer.. :D 

Nope! But we have gay and minority members here, and they should not be subjected to hate speech. Nor will they be from this point forward.

Please tell me you can express your views without using such speech.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Has the missus found you then?! Laughing 

she stopped wearing them it made her heels sore..lol

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Does this also mean that Millicent Homosexuals will not be allowed to use the word NAZI at other posters ????????????????

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:Does this also mean that Millicent Homosexuals will not be allowed to use the word NAZI at other posters ????????????????

lol as if it will work both ways.... :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:The updated rules are under "About NewsFix" at the top of the page. Here's a copy of them:

"NewsFix members include veterans of Shortnews.com and the defunct NewsHabit.net, along with a large influx of members who have found us through ForumMotion and other places.

It is not a place to carry out personal quarrels with other members, nor a place to discuss other forums, nor a place for posting hate speech against minority groups.

Thus, the first guideline is that a post should, in the spirit of a news forum, be of interest to anyone looking in the category in which it's placed. It follows that replies to such posts should be of potential interest to anyone looking in.

It is accepted that discussions will become heated and that insults will be swapped between members, but lines of common decency and propriety should not be crossed:

Posts that are obviously engineered to insult or provoke other members are not acceptable (action or discipline subject to moderator discretion).

Likewise, posts that are racist, homophobic or otherwise contain hate speech are unacceptable, and those who create such posts are subject to discipline including permanent banning.

Please feel free to PM one of our admins -- Ben_Reilly, Lurker, Caution, Veya_Victaous and Irn Bru-- if you need help. Otherwise, enjoy yourself!"

As of now, everyone is subject to administrator or moderator action if they don't follow these rules. Please let me know if you have any questions.

If you were to say, "I'm a Christian and I believe homosexuality is wrong and that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, and that we must join together to stop the gay agenda," that is your opinion, stated civilly, and it would be allowed.

Please simply ask yourself if you're behaving like a civilized person before you post in anger. I am guilty of doing that; we're all guilty of it, and nobody expects perfection.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

This site was running very smoothly, up until a few weeks ago.

IMO, and that's just my opinion, some rogue elements have joined here from another site, just to post abuse against certain LW members..Perhaps they feel threatened that their site is losing membership.

Just a thought.

Onwards & Upwards!  cat 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:48 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:Does this also mean that Millicent Homosexuals will not be allowed to use the word NAZI at other posters ????????????????

No it does not, and here's why. "Nazi" has been used here as a blanket insult for the far right. We see other terms being thrown around like that for the left as well. It does not speak to a personal identity in the way that anti-gay or anti-ethnic slurs do.

To illustrate using the poster you're referring to, if Catman calls the right "Nazis," you call him, or the left in general, something like "Stalinists" or "treehuggers." You refering to a gay person by a gay slur is more like someone calling you an ethnic slur. It's far more personal than the generalized slur of "Nazi," "commie," "hippy," "peacenik," etc.

In other words, please restrict yourself to insulting other people's beliefs or politics rather than their identities. :D
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:49 pm

The far right are described as having Nazi tendencies in many news posts, if you have such a problem, when the words describe what you are like, can i suggest that you contact the editors of the news organisations involved, and ask them not to call you what you are.  Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Catman wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:The updated rules are under "About NewsFix" at the top of the page. Here's a copy of them:

IMO, and that's just my opinion, some rogue elements have joined here from another site, just to post abuse against certain LW members..Perhaps they feel threatened that their site is losing membership.

Just a thought.

Onwards & Upwards!  cat 

in my opinion forums thrive on differences of opinion and as long as the debates are kept civil it works well, how may times can different posters say, yes i agree bon every topic before it all becomes pointless..

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 pm

heavenly father wrote:
in my opinion forums thrive on differences of opinion and as long as the debates are kept civil it works well, how may times can different posters say, yes i agree bon every topic before it all becomes pointless..

Totally agree, HF. You know that you and I don't agree on very much, but I'm really happy that you feel this way.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

No it does not, and here's why. "Nazi" has been used here as a blanket insult for the far right. We see other terms being thrown around like that for the left as well. It does not speak to a personal identity in the way that anti-gay or anti-ethnic slurs do.

To illustrate using the poster you're referring to, if Catman calls the right "Nazis," you call him, or the left in general, something like "Stalinists" or "treehuggers." You refering to a gay person by a gay slur is more like someone calling you an ethnic slur. It's far more personal than the generalized slur of "Nazi," "commie," "hippy," "peacenik," etc.

In other words, please restrict yourself to insulting other people's beliefs or politics rather than their identities. :D

Sorry that sounds like you are going to be trying to tell people what they are allowed to feel upset at.

I presume that words like faggot, poof, shirt lifter etc will be disallowed as personal - I fail to see the difference between those and nazi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Sorry that sounds like you are going to be trying to tell people what they are allowed to feel upset at.

I presume that words like faggot, poof, shirt lifter etc will be disallowed as personal - I fail to see the difference between those and nazi

I just defined them. Insult someone's politics or beliefs; not their personal identity. It's far more civil to call someone a Nazi than a racial or homophobic slur. I can't be more clear than that.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Catman wrote:

Just a thought.

Onwards & Upwards!  cat 

Agreed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Totally agree, HF. You know that you and I don't agree on very much, but I'm really happy that you feel this way.

No problem, i thoroughly enjoy debate and look forward to crossing swords, so to speak with you and many others.. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:58 pm

GAY NAZI ????????????

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:59 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Sphinx.

Your methods were tried, and it did indeed lead to a defunct forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:59 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:GAY NAZI ????????????

No.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:00 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Let me take another crack at that. What I'm talking about is the difference between insulting you as a conservative and insulting you as a woman. Does that make sense?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Civility costs nothing
But earns respect
lesson for life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:05 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Ben I would like to point out that when I have described Victor as a tree hugger, who is someone I respect and we both know all that is thrown is just banter, it has nothing to do with any political view. Victor is an enigma when it comes to political views he follows none of what most people conform to, he follows his own ethics which is a mixture of many different political views that can be found within both left and right, but nothing you would be able to place him into either camp.
That is what I like about Victor, he holds no loyalty to any group, he stands apart from the rest.

Tree hugger is more to do with his ancient Briton beliefs, of which I again actually respect

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

No.

OK , I appreciate your homosexual views.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:08 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Ben I would like to point out that when I have described Victor as a tree hugger, who is someone I respect and we both know all that is thrown is just banter, it has nothing to do with any political view. Victor is an enigma when it comes to political views he follows none of what most people conform to, he follows his own ethics which is a mixture of many different political views that can be found within both left and right, but nothing you would be able to place him into either camp.
That is what I like about Victor, he holds no loyalty to any group, he stands apart from the rest.

Tree hugger is more to do with his ancient Briton beliefs, of which I again actually respect  

No worries, man -- just threw that out as an example and I don't think I even saw that post. At any rate, it's fine -- call me a treehugger (I am one!) or part of the loony left or a Stalanist jack-booted ban-happy moonbat. Just don't call people things like "bitches," "niggers," "fags", "Pakis," etc. That's crossing a line into overly personal.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I just defined them. Insult someone's politics or beliefs; not their personal identity. It's far more civil to call someone a Nazi than a racial or homophobic slur. I can't be more clear than that.

Sorry I disagree - for many people their politics and/or beliefs are as much as part of their personal identity as their sexuality. To stand there and tell them that the insults aimed at them are less serious so they should just accept them is no better than when years ago ethnic minorities and gays were told the same thing.

To the person on the receiving end the term bible basher is as personally offensive as the term poof - to anyone with family who fought and died or who was a prisoner of war in the second world war you are not going to find a much nastier insult.

Also you may want to consider such terms as "raghead" which are religious insults that will get you killed if said in the wrong place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:09 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

No.

OK , I  appreciate your homosexual views.

What does that even mean? For one, I doubt you appreciate the views of any homosexual. For two, I know you hate me.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

What does that even mean? For one, I doubt you appreciate the views of any homosexual. For two, I know you hate me.

Awwww , are you claiming VICTIM STATUS.

Last edited by ALLAKAKA on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

No.

You can very occasionally post in a civil manner.

Why not limit your worst bile to the Flap forum, then come here when you want to make the odd post that isn't racist/homophobic hate speech etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Sorry I disagree - for many people their politics and/or beliefs are as much as part of their personal identity as their sexuality.  To stand there and tell them that the insults aimed at them are less serious so they should just accept them is no better than when years ago ethnic minorities and gays were told the same thing.

To the person on the receiving end the term bible basher is as personally offensive as the term poof - to anyone with family who fought and died or who was a prisoner of war in the second world war you are not going to find a much nastier insult.

Also you may want to consider such terms as "raghead" which are religious insults that will get you killed if said in the wrong place.

At some point, discretion has to enter into it, and nobody's perfect. No moderator or administrator is perfect. But that's the rule that I'm implementing -- at some point you just have to draw the line somewhere, and considering a balance between free expression, maintaining an interesting forum and protecting members from abuse, that's where I see fit to draw it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

No, I'm saying I don't understand what you mean.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Victor sounds like me: I belong in neither camp.

As for insults, aren't they different for each person? I may not care to be called a slut but I would care if I were to be called a Nazi actually, for instance.
Nazis have a terrible and horrific reputation whereas a slut is just sort of, nothing, as an insult.

One man's slut is another man's choice pussy.... As it were.  Cool 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Let me take another crack at that. What I'm talking about is the difference between insulting you as a conservative and insulting you as a woman. Does that make sense?

Firstly calling me a conservative is one hell of an insult in the first place.

Secondly I have less problems with insults aimed at my gender than at my beliefs.

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Sorry I disagree - for many people their politics and/or beliefs are as much as part of their personal identity as their sexuality.  To stand there and tell them that the insults aimed at them are less serious so they should just accept them is no better than when years ago ethnic minorities and gays were told the same thing.

At some point, discretion has to enter into it, and nobody's perfect. No moderator or administrator is perfect. But that's the rule that I'm implementing -- at some point you just have to draw the line somewhere, and considering a balance between free expression, maintaining an interesting forum and protecting members from abuse, that's where I see fit to draw it.

No you are protecting ONE member from abuse that he has given to many.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

yup i agree completely
And just to be clear "Away with the fairys "
Isn`t a homophobic slur as I understand some Americans believe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

No worries, man -- just threw that out as an example and I don't think I even saw that post. At any rate, it's fine -- call me a treehugger (I am one!) or part of the loony left or a Stalanist jack-booted ban-happy moonbat. Just don't call people things like "bitches," "niggers," "fags", "Pakis," etc. That's crossing a line into overly personal.

That is how you feel.

Others feel the other way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:16 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Secondly I have less problems with insults aimed at my gender than at my beliefs.

Interesting is not you policies you believe in conservative?
UkIP are a conservative party by their political views, are you confusing names now over the standards of which political party view points are?
Your views are conservative as mine on political aspects are they not, some of mine are not, but your views are conservative?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Yet you, and your cohorts, you cry foul, when anything that you don't like is posted against the far right!

....That and any kind of gay related news story, and you wonder why you get accused of being Nazis! FFS!

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Is it just me that thinks Ben is going a bit overboard with all this abuse shite, it's the reason many of us come here, it will naturally decrease and increase as a forum ebbs and flows.

Am I expected to discover that this forum will go the way of some form of governance and censorship, oh dear!
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Beliefs are ideas, I refuse to protect ideas from being insulted. I will protect people from being insulted.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

to be honest, I find the few insults I get to be mediocre at best school boyish at best
And lacking in creative flair  :D  :::grouch::  :::grouch:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:19 pm

scrat wrote:Is it just me that thinks Ben is going a bit overboard with all this abuse shite, it's the reason many of us come here, it will naturally decrease and increase as a forum ebbs and flows.

Am I expected to discover that this forum will go the way of some form of governance and censorship, oh dear!

What I'm saying is, if you come here for the "abuse shite," you've come to the wrong place.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
scrat wrote:Is it just me that thinks Ben is going a bit overboard with all this abuse shite, it's the reason many of us come here, it will naturally decrease and increase as a forum ebbs and flows.

What I'm saying is, if you come here for the "abuse shite," you've come to the wrong place.
Then I guess it's the wrong place!
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:21 pm

Catman wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

Yet you, and your cohorts, you cry foul, when anything that you don't like is posted against the far right!

....That and any kind of gay related news story, and you wonder why you get accused of being Nazis! FFS!

AS Ben would say FUCK OFF

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
Catman wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

Now you're getting it! :D
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:23 pm

The question actually is why the need to, your view is lets not debate but have silly spats, quite an absurd logic, when you want to prove your ethics is right, how would it be if you want to advocate abuse over debate.

Ben wants to draw a line here to have debate, it is a good call, what has to be asked is why you would not want that, he does not want to censor anything but like me lives in the hope people can be civil in debate.

You either want to make his forum a playground where people have their handbags at the ready or you want a place where people can differ on views. Thus there would be no need for censorship, as all he is asking as that people have a little bit of respect to others when debating. Not much to ask is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

Now you're getting it! :D

And you can FUCK OFF LEFT WING SCUM.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Do you agree with targeted abuse, against members of a certain political persuasion then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:25 pm

scrat wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Then I guess it's the wrong place!

Sorry you thought it was the right place. But I've put a lot of time and effort into this site and I will not see it descend into shit-flinging matches. I've been part of several news forums that happened to and it ruined them.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:25 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Beliefs are ideas, I refuse to protect ideas from being insulted. I will protect people from being insulted.

To some people their beliefs are everything - and the pain they feel is no different from the pain felt by others having other aspects of their being.

Just because you cannot feel it does not mean the feeling does not exist.

I for one am sick to death of seeing people who have a deep spiritual aspect treated as second class citizens, being mocked, bullied, looked down upon, and excluded. I am fed up of people telling me that faith is a choice. Religion is a choice - the faith that underpins the religion is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:25 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

And no offense taken didge..... Laughing 

PM btw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next