NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Need Some Help From All Posters In The Know

2 posters

Go down

I Need Some Help From All Posters In The Know Empty I Need Some Help From All Posters In The Know

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 pm

14th January 2014

Do us a favour and put the figures/ answer below my questions - yes I could research this but that would take time.

How much do you need to be earning before you pay tax?

If you are on, let's say £13,000, do you get working tax credits, or something like that?

At what point, if you are single do you not get any benefits, credits at all?

Back to top Go down

I Need Some Help From All Posters In The Know Empty Re: I Need Some Help From All Posters In The Know

Post by Irn Bru Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:14th January 2014

Do us a favour and put the figures/ answer below my questions - yes I could research this but that would take time.

If you are on, let's say £13,000, do you get working tax credits, or something like that?

Sphinx can probably help you with your personal circumstances Andy. She's an unofficial benefits advisor.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

I Need Some Help From All Posters In The Know Empty Re: I Need Some Help From All Posters In The Know

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:14th January 2014

Sphinx can probably help you with your personal circumstances Andy. She's an unofficial benefits advisor.

Thank you Iron, I shall call her office in the morning and arrange a convenient time to see her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 pm

Right off the top of my head without doing research the tax limit at the moment is around £9300 so a person on £1300 will only pay tax on £3700 at 20%.  However the rules for national insurance are different - that is paid at 11% but with different limits.

Working tax credits have their own rules - which work according to a formula I am unprepared to learn - hence my massive support for Universal Credit since it means not only will I be able to answer such questions but people will not need to ask me because they will be able to work them out for themselves.  Benefit claimants will not need to visit CAB, or community legal centres or other sources of independent advice to work out what their proper entitlement is and what effect affect accepting work will have on those benefits and I for one think that is a bloody excellent idea.

At the moment I cannot give precise numbers simply because they do not exist - a single person working may be eligable for a number of benefits including income support JSA housing benefit and working tax credits.  Each persons entitlement will depend on the  area they reside in their rent their working pattern over previous months as well as their average income.  Someone at citizens advice could guide on each individual case but I cannot.

EDIT* If you want to know your own tax threshold look at your tax code - unless it is a second job or you are earning over the higher tax limit of around £42k (I may be out on that one I dont get asked on higher tax much) or for some other reason are not paying basic tax your tax code will consist of 3 numbers and a letter - you take the 3 numbers and add a zero to the end and that is how much you can earn before you pay tax - so 932l will mean £9320 a year of your earnings are tax free. Like I said this does not apply to second jobs which are taxed on every penny earned and on higher rate tax payers or others not paying basic tax the rules are different.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:15 am

There you go Andy. Hopefully what Sphinx has posted will help sort things out for you.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am

Irn Bru wrote:There you go Andy. Hopefully what Sphinx has posted will help sort things out for you.

Not in the slightest.

I gave strict instructions in the original post and she didn't follow them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:24 am

I have answered the first one.

I cannot answer the other 2 because the answer is different according to where you live, and what you were doing employment wise in the previous 12 months.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:30 am

Pretty cool, sphinx.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:00 am

sphinx wrote:I have answered the first one.

I cannot answer the other 2 because the answer is different according to where you live, and what you were doing employment wise in the previous 12 months.

You remind me of her Sphinx!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:11 am

::sexbnan: ::sexbnan: ::sexbnan: ::rambo:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 am

Catman wrote:
sphinx wrote:I have answered the first one.

You remind me of her Sphinx!

I am not sure whether than is a compliment or an insult  ://?roflmao?/: 

Seriously the whole benefits system is insanely complicated at the moment - even people working for the same department do not know how things work with other bits of their own department yet alone the other 2 departments involved. So the person who deals with ESA rules will not know about JSA rules - and they are different. The chances of the actual person claiming being able to work out what is going on is next to nil. I am good at retaining stuff I have learned and can give general help like in actual entitlements and which department needs to be contacted but I can not work out specifics like how much people would get (I still suspect the actual process of deciding that involves damp toilet paper and a ceiling).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down