NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brexit latest: Nicola Sturgeon seeking 'immediate discussions' with Brussels to protect Scotland's EU place - live updates

2 posters

Go down

Brexit latest: Nicola Sturgeon seeking 'immediate discussions' with Brussels to protect Scotland's EU place - live updates Empty Brexit latest: Nicola Sturgeon seeking 'immediate discussions' with Brussels to protect Scotland's EU place - live updates

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:04 pm

8 minutes ago
Nicola Sturgeon has said Scotland is making moves to protect its place in the EU bloc.

In a statement Scotland's first minister said: "We are determined to act decisively but in a way that builds unity across Scotland about the way forward.

"We will seek to enter into immediate discussions with the EU institutions and other EU member states to explore all possible options to protect Scotland’s place in the EU.

"I will be inviting the consul generals of EU Member States to discuss how we engage with their communities here."

More at:  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-live-latest-news-updates-petition-remain-uk-boris-johnson-jeremy-corbyn-a7102491.html

Back to top Go down

Brexit latest: Nicola Sturgeon seeking 'immediate discussions' with Brussels to protect Scotland's EU place - live updates Empty Re: Brexit latest: Nicola Sturgeon seeking 'immediate discussions' with Brussels to protect Scotland's EU place - live updates

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:10 pm

That is excellent news, as Scotland is still part oif the UK.
So no more negotiations.
The rest of the UK can simply carry on trading, if Scotland was able to become a part of the EU, as it would still be a part of the UK.
Perfect news. as now all the rest of the UK has to do, which is what happens with many shipments from china, that go through customs here and then back on into Europe.
Is send all of exports to the EU through Scotland.
Which will give the UK a massive advantage over the EU.
This will also provide plenty of jobs in Scotland as well in logistics.

Back to top Go down

Brexit latest: Nicola Sturgeon seeking 'immediate discussions' with Brussels to protect Scotland's EU place - live updates Empty Re: Brexit latest: Nicola Sturgeon seeking 'immediate discussions' with Brussels to protect Scotland's EU place - live updates

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Oh dear, you actually think Scotland is going to be part of the EU and part of the UK.   Even less brains than I thought you had.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 pm

sassy wrote:Oh dear, you actually think Scotland is going to be part of the EU and part of the UK.   Even less brains than I thought you had.

Well, they have to have another referendum, of which none is going to be scheduled for, at least not for another decade or so.
So they would have to remain a part of the Uk and could still join as memebers with the EU with a special aggreement.
So you see its not me that lacks the brains sassy, as all the UK then has to do, is create just one company, to over see all trade within Scotland., All buisness in Scotland if they became a part of the EU would have to abide by their rulings and all the rest of the Uk need do is only apply this to this one company in Scotland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Nicola Sturgeon confirms Scottish Cabinet taking steps toward independence
EU Referendum   10 minutes ago 

In a speech this morning, First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon gave a statement to the press. She confirmed that the Scottish Cabinet is taking steps towards the legislation to trigger a second referendum on Scottish independence.

Brexit latest: Nicola Sturgeon seeking 'immediate discussions' with Brussels to protect Scotland's EU place - live updates ClymIB5XEAESE6H

(Twitter Moments)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:20 pm

They can do nothing without approavl of parliment

Like I said, hot air

No goverment would allow another one so soon after the last one and all the Government has to do, is set a date for 2030 for the next one

They have their date, and also have to wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Every part of the country voted to remain, and she said her government would now begin preparing legislation to enable another independence vote if the Scottish Parliament decided it was appropriate.

Scotland voted in favour of remaining in the EU by 62 per cent to 38 per cent, and Ms Sturgeon said the outcome of the referendum amounted to a "significant and material change in the circumstances in which Scotland voted against independence”.

The phrase was included in the SNP manifesto for the recent Scottish Parliament elections as a potential trigger for so-called “indyref2”.

Ms Sturgeon said large numbers of people who voted No in the independence referendum just 21 months ago had been in touch with her to say they would now vote Yes.

She also recalled that in 2014, voters were told by the Better Together campaign that the best way to ensure they remained in the EU was to stay in the UK.

The Scottish Government will meet on Saturday to consider the next steps. Ms Sturgeon admitted that issue was complicated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/snp-says-scotland-sees-its-future-as-part-of-the-eu-and-sinn-fei/

They put plans in place if this was to happen and they don't need the UK Government say so to do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:06 pm

I could tell yesterday wasn’t an ordinary day when a Channel 4 film crew stopped me on the street. The questioner, microphone in hand, looked earnest.

“What did you make of the Brexit vote?”

I’d woken at 6 to hear the news, and it  was a shock. Now, as I write, there is a tremendous thunderstorm over Edinburgh and torrential rain is bucketing down.

I voted for Scotland to stay in the UK in 2014, and that was a bitter referendum – so I suspect that, like many Scots, the experience this time round wasn’t hugely unsettling. Almost everyone I encountered in Scotland was voting remain. Surely remain would win? Yes, I admit I was complacent.

But unless there is some way to pull Britain back from the brink of an EU exit, there will now be a second referendum on Scottish independence, and this time round I will be voting Yes.

To my way of thinking, Scotland will not be leaving Britain: on the contrary, it is England that decided to leave Britain (and Britain’s values) by backing the views of men like Nigel Farage, who played to the worst kinds of fear and apprehension of many across England and Wales. Theirs was above all a protest vote, against immigration and a general sense of powerlessness born of years of political neglect and complacency – which I can understand – but due to a leadership failure (and Jeremy Corbyn bears a great deal of responsibility in my view) that fear and powerlessness became a tool in the hands of Farage. Vast areas of the country, in huge numbers, made a spectacularly bad decision. The world watched in horror as Britain chose to self-immolate. I read the New York Times front page online, the sense of shock and astonishment palpable in every line. Headlines from elsewhere across the world were just as bad. Forget the stock markets and the pound – people everywhere just wondered what on earth Britain was playing at, and it has profoundly damaged our reputation for decency and leadership across the world.

Leaderless and confused, Britain has begun a long and lonely march to nowhere, congratulated by such august figures as Trump and LePen. Many in England seem resigned to uniting behind the Leave vote and ‘getting on with it’ under whoever the new PM might turn out to be, but I do not want to share that journey. My country voted to remain in the EU, and that’s what I want to do.

So where does Scotland go from here? Well, about 61% of Scotland’s population voted to remain. There is some evidence of a mood among former fellow No voters that they will vote to leave the UK this time round, provided Scotland is afforded continuing membership of the EU. The First Minister could seek assurances that Scotland’s proportionate share of Thatcher’s famous rebate will continue to be given to Scotland, that other key concessions are afforded, and that Scotland remains outwith the Schengen area (thus continuing present immigration controls).
Even better, however, a Scotland within the EU (while England and the City of London will be out) will be in a position to offer an ideal English speaking location for international and domestic investment houses, banks, fund managers and other financial institutions who require to have a place within the EU for regulatory reasons. Edinburgh (or Scotland’s other cities) would become an ideal alternative to London, offering all the attractions of a settled and secure life, bearing in mind that the Republic of Ireland will be the only alternative English speaking nation in the EU. What’s more Scotland will, through the Court of Session, be able to offer parties in Scotland the opportunity to take their cases to the European Court of Justice for important rulings on EU law and its implications for businesses; and Scotland could see the relocation of many highly skilled EU practitioners who wish to practice here. Pursuing EU law issues through London’s High Court will no longer be an option. Last week more than 100 London based EU lawyers registered as solicitors in the Republic of Ireland to safeguard their right to practice EU law. Why not in Scotland?

Scotland will have to set up a domestic central bank and adopt the Euro, that seems beyond question: but this is hardly much of a requirement given the position we have now reached. Scotland has an immense opportunity now, if it is properly negotiated and candidly explained by the Scottish Government to the Scottish People; and while Government would have to be honest and frank about the many challenges Scotland will face in the early days of being a new nation, I believe that is now the only decent option which Scotland has. There is no intellectually honest way to justify a cowering acceptance of England’s negative and self destructive decision, and ‘play along’ for the sake of things.

I don’t want to leave the UK, I’ve always been proud to be British and Scottish: but England  chose to abandon the British values in which I believe. England is leaving Britain, but Scotland should keep true to the inclusive and international spirit that once made Britain admired. We will still have many ties of course to the UK, but Scotland should now become independent, and take its seat among the nations of the EU.

https://stephenorourke.org/2016/06/25/scotlands-future/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Scotland can't leave the UK and join eu without having to adopt the euro and all the rest of the shit a new eu member has to do...

Scotland will be better off in the UK and out of eu than they will be out of uk and in the eu!!!

Anyone who can't see that is a complete idiot!!!

Wee Jimmy krankee has her eyes on a plum job in the eu me thinks...

But if goodbye Scotland then goodbye all the Scottish MPs in Westminster... and goodbye to the Barnet formula...

Cant see a downside there...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Oh yes it can, as we will see over the coming months.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:21 pm

Wait and see.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:28 pm

We won't have to wait long. The girl is canny enough to have put things in place for this contingency, unlike our lot who are now spinning round with their heads up thir arses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down