NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car

+6
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
Syl
Tommy Monk
eddie
HoratioTarr
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 Empty Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3649368/Star-Trek-actor-Anton-Yelchin-dies-car-crash-age-27.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 Empty Re: Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car

Post by eddie Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 pm

Tommy are you saying the pics have been altered on purpose and why would they be?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 Empty Re: Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Pics don't get altered by accident...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Okay, so why then? Not disbelieving you btw, want to know why the pics would be altered.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:22 pm

To twist the truth...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:32 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:To twist the truth...

Okay I don't want to have to keep oi King away at you like an unopened pistachio, please give me your scenario as to why there would be foul play surrounding this actor.

Why fake his death?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:50 pm

I don't have all the answers... just think that the story doesn't add up...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:The metalwork design/motifs for one... and the bends next to wall... don't see how a large wide vehicle could impact only in that corner...

No a problem.  It's due to the angle of impact.  The vehicle would roll in the direction it was originally pointed owing to inertia.  That means the point of impact would have been the rear-right corner of the vehicle, leaving an impact impression of only a foot or two.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:22 pm

For the rear right corner to impact only on that corner and on only that part of fence on the driveway that is itself on a curve... the front would end up in the side fence!

Plus it's even less likely that man got out of left side of vehicle and made it to the point of impact before car got there... as I have already said... the car woukd be rolling as soon as he got out and took foot off brake... he would have had to run very fast to get to point of impact on fence before car got there.... and that is not the thing any normal person would be trying to do...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:42 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:For the rear right corner to impact only on that corner and on only that part of fence on the driveway that is itself on a curve... the front would end up in the side fence!

It depends on the angle on which the vehicle would have been left, and the position of the front (steering) wheels.  An accident reconstructionist would surmise that the vehicle would have been left in the drive-in position, on the left side of the drive (as viewed in the photo), with the front wheels in a slightly left-turn position because the driveway is curved...in other words, exactly as it would end up having been driven in.  Thus, as it rolled backwards it would retrace its entrance, save that it's front (steering) wheels would tend to straighten out, pulling the backward-rolling vehicle over toward the brick pillar.  And that's precisely where the right-rear of the vehicle impacted.

Tommy Monk wrote:Plus it's even less likely that man got out of left side of vehicle and made it to the point of impact before car got there... as I have already said... the car woukd be rolling as soon as he got out and took foot off brake... he would have had to run very fast to get to point of impact on fence before car got there.... and that is not the thing any normal person would be trying to do...

Your second point is the difficult one.  As the curvature of the incline increases geometrically as one goes backwards toward the gate, I would suspect that the rolling vehicle started infinitesimally slowly, giving the victim ample opportunity to get ahead and behind the reverse-rolling vehicle.  Then, as the vehicle sped up as the incline increased, the victim was caught and hit unawares, pinning him between the vehicle and the gate.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:53 pm

When a car rolls backwards the wheels straighten up...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:21 pm

I got out my car earlier on a very light gradual hill... hardly a downhill slope at all... I forgot to put the handbrake on... and as I started to get out of the car, it started rolling immediately... I was only half out and jumped straight back in without thinking and put my foot on the brake and then applied the handbrake.

This op smells very fishy!!!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:31 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I got out my car earlier on a very light gradual hill... hardly a downhill slope at all... I forgot to put the handbrake on... and as I started to get out of the car, it started rolling immediately... I was only half out and jumped straight back in without thinking and put my foot on the brake and then applied the handbrake.

This op smells very fishy!!!

Were you trying to reenact the scene in the OP? Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:53 pm

So apparently mechanical fault and there is now a recall

the transmission slips from park to drive by itself.

So he has whacked it in park and jumped out with out the hand brake up since he was just opening a gate and in terrible timing for him the transmisison has decided to slip into gear as he was in front of it.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:31 am

Wrong... the known fault is car staying in neutral when sometimes it looks like being in Park.

The car was found in neutral...

Any car left in neutral and no handbrake on even a slight incline will start rolling as soon as no foot is on brake.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:25 am

http://www.ibtimes.com/jeep-grand-cherokee-e-shifter-which-might-have-killed-star-trek-actor-anton-yelchin-2386617

sorry clicking into neutral not drive.
and it doesn't seem to be just staying in nuetral.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:37 am

I read elsewhere that it was a problem where shift stayed in neutral when it looked to be in park... no popping out going on.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:31 am

@Tommy
US made electroincs
what more do you need to know? Cool
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 Empty So the Family Is Suing for 5 Million Dollar Wrongful Death, will they be successful?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:23 am

Anton Yelchin’s parents to file wrongful death lawsuit
BY Tobias Salinger
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Monday, August 1, 2016, 8:56 PM
The parents of late actor Anton Yelchin plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit after he was found pinned between a brick pillar and security fence and his SUV last month, a report revealed Monday.
Investigators said the 27-year-old “Star Trek” actor was killed June 19 after his 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled backward into him in the driveway of his home in Los Angeles' Studio City area. Carmaker Fiat Chrysler had recalled the car months earlier and Jeep owners filed a $5 million class action lawsuit days after Yelchin's death.
A lawyer for the family told TMZ they will sue Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, manufacturer ZF North America and car dealership chain AutoNation "for the wrongful death of their son due to significant defects” in the Jeep.
A spokesman for Fiat Chrysler said in an email that the company "extends its deepest sympathies to the Yelchin family for their tragic loss." The spokesman declined to comment on the lawsuit and said the company had not been served Monday.
The company "urges customers to follow the instructions in their owners manuals and or the information cards sent with their recall notices," the spokesman said. "These instructions include advising customers to set the parking brakes in their vehicles before exiting. Customers are urged to timely respond to their recall notices."
Representatives for ZF North America and AutoNation didn't respond to requests for comment Monday afternoon. Yelchin's publicist also didn't respond to a request for comment.
Yelchin starred as Chekov in the two most recent editions of the science fiction series, appearing posthumously in the current film "Star Trek Beyond." He also served as the voice of Clumsy Smurf in the movie adaptations of "The Smurfs" after drawing notice in "Hearts in Atlantis" in 2001 and "Alpha Dog" in 2006. 
Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 Obit-anton-yelchin
Yelchin died after the car rolled backward in the driveway of his home in the Studio City area of Los Angeles, according to investigators.(Damian Dovarganes/AP)  
"Thank you to all of you who have sent flowers and gifts, for your condolences and kind words and to all who came to celebrate the life of our dear son, Anton," the Yelchins said. "We are deeply grateful for your unconditional love. He would be surprised at how many hearts and souls he touched."
Fiat Chrysler executives recalled 248,667 of its 2014 and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokees voluntarily in April over a design error in its electronic gear shifter. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration linked 41 injuries, 212 crashes and 308 property damage claims to the affected models, a report by the agency showed.

"Drivers erroneously concluding that their vehicle's transmission is in the PARK position may be struck by the vehicle and injured if they attempt to get out of the vehicle while the engine is running and the parking brake is not engaged."
Federal investigators had not blamed any deaths on the problem. Yet the class action lawsuit blamed the "dangerously defective" gear shifter and a lack of safety override for over 300 deaths, THR reported.
Anton Yelchin’s parents thank fans for their support
"One of the most basic safety features in every car is the gear shifter that causes a stationary car to remain stationary, unless and until an operator wants the car to move," the complaint said.
Medical examiners ruled Yelchin's cause of death as blunt traumatic asphyixa and said the rising star actor's death had been "rapid" when the Jeep crushed him against the pillar and the security gate, Yelchin's death certificate showed.
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/anton-yelchin-parents-file-wrongful-death-lawsuit-article-1.2734470
So who's at fault '?' auto maker or the auto owner for not taking care of the recall - not put the parking brake on - especially on an incline?
Will the family be successful - will the jury award the full 5 million?
Lots of questions on this one!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:45 am

Yep the manufacturers are at fault in this one and yes, give them the full asking price. It was a needless death.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:11 pm

It's up to a jury. The NHTSA apparently has not declared the vehicle defective. The recall by Fiat Chrysler was voluntary.

In terms of products liability law, the vehicle can be deemed defective if, under reasonable normal use, it malfunctions and leads to injury. You don't need to show negligence, but you do need to show the use was reasonable, as expected.

Whatever is reasonable, normal use? Was it reasonable for him to rely solely on the transmission to secure the vehicle--especially on a hill? Was it unreasonable not to use the parking brake. Questions for a jury.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:45 pm

True. I guess it's one for debate.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:15 pm

I see this happen most often with people 'NOT' accustomed to driving a STANDARD gear shift vehicle; while I've always seemed to have purchased these types and have always made it a HABIT to apply the PARKING BRAKE ALWAYS - ALWAYS - ALWAYS. 
It drove me absolutely bug nuts that my mother and her little GEO Metro {similar to VW Bug} would never - never - never - EVER apply her parking brake and just leave her little car in neutral.  She'd lean on it and it'd roll into another vehicle parked in front of her - she'd lean on it and it'd roll into the vehicle behind her - she'd lean into the back hatch to unload her groceries and her GEO would roll off the end of the carport and drop off the 2' high end - that happened MONTHLY!  Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 Pulling-hair 
My POINT: we have to assume resonsiblility for proper & safe operation of our own vehicles and if as the notifications stated - the recall letters went out - this vehicle was listed as 'having Parking problems and it popped out of Park' and the Parking Brake needed to be applied ...I just don't know how much weight a jury will allow to weigh against the auto manufacturer duty to protect? Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 2190311264
But if I was able to 'predict' what any jury was going to do Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 2187004795   WOW, I'd be in great demand for any legal service around this litigious nation! Razz
So, I'm going to say - no, the family won't win the jury will award zero adjudication for loss due to the 'Recall notifications' and length of time that Anton should have/could have had the problem taken care of and he erred by parking on an incline and NOT SETTING THE PARKING BRAKE.  IMO 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:41 pm

4EVER2 wrote:I see this happen most often with people 'NOT' accustomed to driving a STANDARD gear shift vehicle; while I've always seemed to have purchased these types and have always made it a HABIT to apply the PARKING BRAKE ALWAYS - ALWAYS - ALWAYS. 
It drove me absolutely bug nuts that my mother and her little GEO Metro {similar to VW Bug} would never - never - never - EVER apply her parking brake and just leave her little car in neutral.  She'd lean on it and it'd roll into another vehicle parked in front of her - she'd lean on it and it'd roll into the vehicle behind her - she'd lean into the back hatch to unload her groceries and her GEO would roll off the end of the carport and drop off the 2' high end - that happened MONTHLY!  Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 Pulling-hair 
My POINT: we have to assume resonsiblility for proper & safe operation of our own vehicles and if as the notifications stated - the recall letters went out - this vehicle was listed as 'having Parking problems and it popped out of Park' and the Parking Brake needed to be applied ...I just don't know how much weight a jury will allow to weigh against the auto manufacturer duty to protect? Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 2190311264
But if I was able to 'predict' what any jury was going to do Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 2187004795   WOW, I'd be in great demand for any legal service around this litigious nation! Razz
So, I'm going to say - no, the family won't win the jury will award zero adjudication for loss due to the 'Recall notifications' and length of time that Anton should have/could have had the problem taken care of and he erred by parking on an incline and NOT SETTING THE PARKING BRAKE.  IMO 

I tend to agree with you. But, no one is an expert on juries. You can get all the social psychologists in there to study behavior, and it's what happened to the juror last week, or in his or her personal life.

You've already mentioned being familiar with a stick shift, and how not to use the transmission as a brake. Another person, who has lived with automatic transmissions all his or her life, might think it's perfectly appropriate. It might be different from one jury to the next. But these are the questions of 'reasonableness' that are put to juries.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Original Quill wrote:
I tend to agree with you. But, no one is an expert on juries.  You can get all the social psychologists in there to study behavior, and it's what happened to the juror last week, or in his or her personal life.  

You've already mentioned being familiar with a stick shift, and how not to use the transmission as a brake.  Another person, who has lived with automatic transmissions all his or her life, might think it's perfectly appropriate.  It might be different from one jury to the next.  But these are the questions of 'reasonableness' that are put to juries.
Sad but too true all of that; just this week the hearing for our neighbor guys vehicle homicide death - due to the sheriff deputy texting while driving goes before the jury for sentencing ...there's already great many verbal mutterings about: 'he's such a good guy' - 'we're sure he didn't mean to kill anyone' - 'why make him suffer in prison' - etc., etc., etc. 
Meanwhile his widow - his son {still recuperating from those injuries} have to live without the dead guy that didn't ask to die by texting because the deputy didn't GIVE A SHIT!
Juries - are very FICKLE humans and it's always a CRAP SHOOT for what goes on in their heads and in that jury room!
I've served on a few juries and twice on a grand jury ...I can't imagine being in a 10'x 20' room discussing finite details with many of our members over such weighty issues and watching the EGO'S and pyscho personalities flare up!  Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 371740092

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:19 pm

One of the problems with the jury system are the trends on the macro level that psychologists have been able to uncover. There are certain types of defendants that are untouchable, and certain types always blamed: 1) police officers will never be convicted of anything, anytime, anywhere; 2) next are white caucasian females, who seem to get off anytime (think Casey Anthony); 3) finally, blacks will always be convicted, of anything, anytime in America.

But, on the other hand, bureaucracies can be arbitrary too.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:11 pm

If there's a fault though, isn't that an open and shut case?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:18 pm

eddie wrote:If there's a fault though, isn't that an open and shut case?

Not necessarily; it comes down to percentages ...Anton has some burden for his lack of putting the vehicle the emergency Parking Brake ON - the Auto Maker has some for bad parts/selling defective vehicle - but they did generate a recall - so it will come down to a fight between the insurance carriers for all parties involved. 
Who had the greater share of the responsibility; Anton and how he'd stopped - why he didn't pull the Parking Brake - or the Jeep manufacturer. Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Really silly and unecessary death though.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:52 pm

eddie wrote:Really silly and unecessary death though.
One of those 'IF ONLY' ...SMH

I wasn't attuned to the method of how our Auto Underwriters sliced & diced up the shared blame for any accidents, until I was involved in a 4 car pile up on a icy highway; I'll save you all of the lengthy details but safe to say I got caught on two sides {wedged between a huge semi-trucks wheels on my drivers side} and a motor home on my passenger side coming off of a 2 lane right into a single lane with only room form 'MY' vehicle!  Sounds of scraping metal still echo in my head; but that report and the subsequent details took 4 years to work it way though traffic court and then the civil court for the stupid law suit filed by the elderly couple that really caused the entire 4 auto pile up. 
It was a mangled mess, but they were able to extract me and my son out through the front window since we were wedged in so tightly between both large vehicles. 
The first thing the elderly couple did was to approach me about; 'lets stand united and blame the semi truck driver since that company would surely have more money then anyone else?' Suspect 
The next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital in a neck brace asking WTF happened and WTH was my son?  Yes, indeed that elderly couple wrote out their story line - blaming the entire sequence of events back to the semi-truck driver and not faulting their leaving their lane illegally, crossing over into my lane - over a solid white line still visible despite the snow and sleet because they'd changed they mind at the last second and didn't want to pay the toll and go straight ahead to the Interstate ...for a $2.15 toll to get to Wichita, KS they caused a 4 car pile up and tried to blame the semi truck driver as if he'd had any choice once they'd jerked over into my lane Evil or Very Mad  
I didn't get to hear all of their lying report until we went to the Traffic court hearing before the judge 9 months later; then as the written statements and the Highway patrol troopers had testified and the truck driver gave his statement - then my turn - then the elderly couple.  It all became quite obvious how the knife was being driven into the back of the semi drivers company and it wasn't right.  Well, that ended up with a 75% fault against the semi truck driver, 25% fault against the elderly couple. 
The insurance company appealed that hearing and geared up for the civil case /lawsuit from the elderly couple for injuries sustained blah-blah-blah and wanted recovery/pain & suffering yada-yada-yada and yet I was the only one that had gone to the hospital.
In that jury trail the entire events and time line/weather conditions and rational for who did what and why came out; and since I was the only that had traveled that road every month to visit my X-in-laws and my parents I rather had the best foundation for why I was in the proper lane and the elderly couple shouldn't have 'baled out and caused the pile up when they had no legal right but to proceed forward to the toll booth and then to Wichita' that was their destination anyway!
That ole' burly guy from the trucking company gave me a huge bear hug and told me; 'you just saved my job' ...Geeze, people sure LIE and FAKE crap to gouge other companies in our legal system.  

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Jesus! That must've been horrendous! Imagine waking up and not knowing if your child is ok!
Glad you're here to tell the tale, despite the crap you had to deal with.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Good grief!!!!!

We had a couple of near misses brought about by idiot drivers going to Colchester, makes you realise you take your life in your hands every time you hit the road.   You can be driving faultlessly, it just takes someone trying to overtake you with oncoming traffic on a narrow road (first miss) or a car with a caravan coming towards you deciding to swerve in front of you to go into a wooded area on your side of the road (second miss)!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:19 pm

eddie wrote:If there's a fault though, isn't that an open and shut case?

There is no fault in a products liability case.  You are thinking of negligence, where the three elements are: duty, breech and causation to injury.  In a products case, there are only two elements:  defect or failure to warn, and injury.  In fact, it's often called a fault-less case.

The courts want to incorporate the cost of injuries into the cost of doing business, so they apply what is called strict liability: you put the product on the market, someone was injured, the only question is causation.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Ah ok. So they could end up with nothing?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:35 pm

eddie wrote:Ah ok. So they could end up with nothing?

Ya...the only real question is causation: connect the defect with the injury. If they can't say it was reasonable to just put the transmission in 'park', then there is no connection.

The point is that negligence--fault--is out.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:37 pm

People don't use the hand brake when they park their car?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:People don't use the hand brake when they park their car?

You're supposed to. When you have your driving test you could fail if you don't do that, can't you? I know they hammer it home during lessons.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:53 pm

eddie wrote:

You're supposed to. When you have your driving test  you could fail if you don't do that, can't you? I know they hammer it home during lessons.

Not so here in America; only if you're driving a 'stick/standard shift' vehicle do people NORMALLY always apply the hand/parking brake when leaving their vehicle. 
When parking on an incline, the wheels are to be turned in toward the curb and the brake applied but not if it's an automatic shifted vehicle.
Maybe Anton hadn't owned this vehicle long - maybe he wasn't used to applying the parking brake when he exited his Jeep ...maybe a lot of things. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:59 pm

eddie wrote:

You're supposed to. When you have your driving test  you could fail if you don't do that, can't you? I know they hammer it home during lessons.

It's an absolute must with any type of vehicle, manual or automatic.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

That's what I thought. I'm not a driver, though I can drive.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:13 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

That's what I thought. I'm not a driver, though I can drive.

Automatic gear shifter                Standard gear shift
No parking brake needed        I always use my parking brake 
Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 Gear_shift     Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 StickShift-1-36-2012-chevrolet-cruze-eco-review-opt-1337111975

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Over here, we have to use the parking brake on both types of cars.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:27 pm

eddie wrote:Over here, we have to use the parking brake on both types of cars.

Well, I sure was wishing my mother had been taught to use that handy parking brake; once too many times having to jack up the front end of her GEO - left it up that 2' drop and back onto her carport because she'd left it neutral and didn't set the hand brake, then went around to the back hatch and leaned in to get something and her little car rolled over the end of the concrete pad! Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 2396444674  

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:46 pm

She sounds like me Embarassed
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:35 pm

eddie wrote:She sounds like me Embarassed
Rest her sweet soul ...she was a horrid driver and was always on 'HIGH RISK' insurance; very costly!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:53 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
eddie wrote:

Not so here in America; only if you're driving a 'stick/standard shift' vehicle do people NORMALLY always apply the hand/parking brake when leaving their vehicle. 
When parking on an incline, the wheels are to be turned in toward the curb and the brake applied but not if it's an automatic shifted vehicle.
Maybe Anton hadn't owned this vehicle long - maybe he wasn't used to applying the parking brake when he exited his Jeep ...maybe a lot of things. Sad

Like not having seatbeat laws
the USA is a bit silly Wink

always use the hand brake.
no allowances for differnet vehicles etc.
over a tonne resting on a gear tooth is not exactly 'safe' even if it does generally hold
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:56 am

4EVER2 wrote:
eddie wrote:She sounds like me Embarassed
Rest her sweet soul ...she was a horrid driver and was always on 'HIGH RISK' insurance; very costly!

Hahahahah driving miss daisy
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:57 am

veya_victaous wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:
eddie wrote:

over a tonne resting on a gear tooth is not exactly 'safe' even if it does generally hold

Are there no seat belt laws in USA?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:14 am

Anton Yelchin Dead, Crushed by Own Car - Page 2 3738099605

HERE in Oz, people are taught to use the handbrake/park brake when parking...

Irregardless of transmission type..

Not using the handbrake during the drivers license test over here, you would fail..

AS veya mentioned, the USA can often be slack on safety laws -- not only with road safety (e.g. seatbelts, helmets when riding..);  but as Victor likes to bring up often, in regard to power tools -- protective guards that are compulsory in Britain, Europe, Oz and NZ are often seen to be offered as "optional extras" over there in the USA..

A clear example of allowing "individual rights" to override the "common good".
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 am

eddie wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

Idea

Seatbelt and Helmet laws are on a state-by-state basis over there...

In more than 20 of their states, wearing seatbelts in cars, or hemets on motorbikes, is not compulsory..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:58 am

eddie wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:Like not having seatbeat laws

Stormee, had started a entire topic about this very issue back in March, http://www.newsfixboard.com/t14674-seat-belts?highlight=seat+belts
we covered the entire spectrum of both our countries history regarding these seatbelts we even had those wonderful ole video commercials as well.  
That was quite a decent discussion!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next