NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Thanksgiving All

4 posters

Go down

Happy Thanksgiving All Empty Happy Thanksgiving All

Post by Original Quill Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:21 pm

We are on holiday in the US.  Thanksgiving...turkey dinner, big family gathering and all.  The tradition was started by colonists in America.  Do y'all elsewhere also celebrate Thanksgiving?

Happy Thanksgiving All HappyThanksgiving

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Happy Thanksgiving All Empty Re: Happy Thanksgiving All

Post by veya_victaous Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:28 am

Nope.

It's early but I had to add text to this pic and now I don't want to lose it
Happy Thanksgiving All Merry_10
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:28 am

Wiki wrote:Australia Day is the official national day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships at Port Jackson, New South Wales, and raising of the Flag of Great Britain at that site by Governor Arthur Phillip.

Oh, okay. But "national day" might be confused in the US with our Independence day.

Thanksgiving is in memory of a rare effort at peace and harmony. It was a feast arranged by Pilgrims, to which Native Americans were specifically invited so that good will and neighborly relations might be established.

Turkeys were hunted, cooked and served...along with corn, squashes and other native foods. Hence, the turkey is the traditional Thanksgiving holiday feast.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:53 am

I'm sure American's in the UK celebrate thanksgiving and I suppose some Brits do as well. We're good at jumping on anyone else's celebrations - any excuse for a knees up will do. Laughing

Here in Scotland our national day is St Andrews Day. It's this Sunday, November 30. Haggis, neeps, tatties, shortbread and whisky galore.

Bring on Jimmy Shand cheers
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanksgiving is one of four major holidays. The other three are: Christmas, New Years Day and Independence Day. These are the days when the Post Office and Banks are closed, and transit runs on limited or no schedule.

I was a foggy morning. I took a walk and sat down on a park bench next to an old lady with her small dog. We talked about her complaints with the turkey dinner at the Mill Valley Community Center.

Then some young people in their teens and twenties came by. They were delivering fudge cake to the Center. The had a small dog too. They became acquainted.

Then I continued my walk through the redwood trees on a path. Like this….

Happy Thanksgiving All 399px-030803a_redwoodfog

Eerie silence.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down