NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans

+6
nicko
Irn Bru
eddie
Ben Reilly
Cass
SEXY MAMA
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans - Page 2 Empty 15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans

Post by Guest Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/16/british-phrases-that-confuse-americans_n_5591520.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Back to top Go down

15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans - Page 2 Empty Re: 15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:05 pm

got the squirts .....diaorea

Back to top Go down

15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans - Page 2 Empty Re: 15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Korben_Dallas wrote:got the squirts .....diaorea

I could sh1t through the eye of a needle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Fanny depending on the context it's used

Fanny = idiot Ie "you're being a Fanny"

Fanny = lady parts  Embarassed 

A smack on the Fanny "Americanism" slap on the backside
A smack on the Fanny "british" = a smack in the mouth Smile  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:19 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korben_Dallas wrote:got the squirts .....diaorea

I could sh1t through the eye of a needle.
And why only shits are in heaven ............ lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:46 pm

oh do be brief

y'all wrest being TTFW ........
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Nems wrote:Crying down me leg =very upset
to give someone "down the banks" to tell them off
your gibbed = I'm not your friend any more
heres your mate  = I agree/feel the same
These fit where they touch = these clothes are a little snug
Like trying to knit fog = impossible to do
She says anything but her prayers and she whistles through them = she is a liar

Shocked I've not heard of any of them except the knitting fog one!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:42 pm

I think black people - particularly Jamaicans - have some great expressions:

Doing rubbish - being a twat, doing stupid things

Slapping tar - walking (ie "he ain't got no car he's slapping tar")

Your face favours shit - your face is nasty

Walk good - have a nice time/safe journey

"Dutty Pickney dem" - those dirty children (usually a diss on the mum)

Pushing up big talk - bragging
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Got to love it.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:32 am

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:Crying down me leg =very upset
to give someone "down the banks" to tell them off
your gibbed = I'm not your friend any more
heres your mate  = I agree/feel the same
These fit where they touch = these clothes are a little snug
Like trying to knit fog = impossible to do
She says anything but her prayers and she whistles through them = she is a liar

ditto......think she just made them up on the fly Cool

nemski x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:41 am

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

ditto......think she just made them up on the fly Cool

nemski x

Pfft all true, as are

its been that way since pussy was a cat - its been like that a long time
Face like a smacked arse = a bit red faced
Face like a robbers dog = not very attractive
 Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:51 am

Saw a film the other day and he said

"You're shaking like a shitting dog"

Made me laugh  ://?roflmao?/: 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Here are a few more to keep you going, I am particularly prone to number 20 15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans - Page 2 Embarr13  :

1. Any road: used in place of “any way,” primarily used in the north of Britain.

2. Baccy: shortened word for “tobacco;” also, “wacky backy” means marijuana.

3. Barmy: crazy, insane; always derogatory.

4. Bender: derogatory term for homosexual, like “poof.” (Note: You probably shouldn’t use it or you’ll get slapped, but it’s worthy of note for giving Futurama a very different meaning.)

5. Biggie: term children might use to describe feces; also, an erection.

6. Bits ‘n Bobs: various things. (Example: “My mother has a lot of Bits ‘n Bobs around the house.”)

7. “Bob’s your uncle!”: “There you go! You’ve got it!”

8. Bollocks: technically means “balls,” but often describes something seen as extremely negative or lacking in value; e.g. “total shit.”

9. “Bugger off!”: “Go away!” or “Leave me alone!” (Note: Bugger, used on its own, is akin to “Fuck!” or “Shit!”)

10. Chav: white trash.

11. Cheeky: to be not respectful of something, having a flippant or facetious attitude.

12. Chin Wag: to have a chat with someone.

13. Collywobbles: extreme queasiness or stomach pain brought on by stress, nervousness or anxiety.

14. Crusty Dragon: a piece of snot or booger.

15. Daft Cow: a very stupid person (See also: “Wazzock.”)

16. Dog’s Bollocks: extremely good or favorable, great

17. Dog’s Dinner: to be dressed nicely or look dapper.

18. Donkey’s Years: ages, as in “I haven’t seen you in ages!”

19. Fagged: disturbed, bothered or interrupted (Example: If one were studying for a test, one would not want to be “fagged.”)

20. Fall Arse Over Tit: to have an embarrassing fall or to topple over.

See the remaining 51 Simple British Slang Phrases here : http://thoughtcatalog.com/nico-lang/2013/09/71-simple-british-slang-phrases-everyone-should-start-using/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:55 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
@ FTL  :

The only ones from your list that I'm not familiar with were ~

4. Bender: derogatory term for homosexual, like “poof.” (Note: You probably shouldn’t use it or you’ll get slapped, but it’s worthy of note for giving Futurama a very different meaning.)

16. Dog’s Bollocks: extremely good or favorable, great    (the equivalent phrase over here is "the dog's balls"..)

AND, as for:

THAT phrase actually carries the opposite meaning down here, as "scattered around like a dog's dinner (or 'breakfast')" means very messy and untidy..    ::D::

Hey Bee  I love you x

To be honest I've never heard of a Crusty Dragon either, sounds like a chinese takeaway to me 15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans - Page 2 Chines10  lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:09 am

Funny
Aussies change "Balls off the brass Monkey"
one to "Freezing me brass monkeys off"
Brass monkeys can just refer to testicles.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:46 am

Otherwise they are just cut the word to 1 or 2 syllables and add 'O' or 'E'

Derro - Derelict / low class

Houso - Housing Commission

Cennos - Centre Link (welfare)

Povo - poverty/poor or poor value/quality 'this burger is povo'

yank tank - Ford F series trucks

Piggers - Coppers - Police

pitty - Pitbull terrier dog

on a Bender - Going out to get drunk/wasted/party

Wrecked - Blind - Very Intoxicated

'ave a slash - urinating

the Bog - shitter - toilet

Dog's breakfast - looks a vomit/very bad

smoko - tobacco or weed

sparrows fart - early in the morning
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:48 am

@FTL

'Arse over tits' can just be used as a general 'fucked up' implying something is opposite to how it should be.

Plus falling over
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:50 am

reg grundy's = Underwear(undies) in rhyming slang
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:50 am

veya_victaous wrote:@FTL

'Arse over tits' can just be used as a general 'fucked up' implying something is opposite to how it should be.

Plus falling over

Not heard that one Veya but I have falling over down to a fine art form 15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans - Page 2 Bag_ov14

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Thought the aussies on here would get this one, "Technicolour Yawn" --------being sick.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:18 pm

" It's black over Bill's house " and " it's black over yonder "

Rain clouds coming.......
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:23 pm

feelthelove wrote:Here are a few more to keep you going, I am particularly prone to number 20 15 British Phrases That Confuse Americans - Page 2 Embarr13  :

1. Any road: used in place of “any way,” primarily used in the north of Britain.

2. Baccy: shortened word for “tobacco;” also, “wacky backy” means marijuana.

3. Barmy: crazy, insane; always derogatory.

6. Bits ‘n Bobs: various things. (Example: “My mother has a lot of Bits ‘n Bobs around the house.”)

7. “Bob’s your uncle!”: “There you go! You’ve got it!”

8. Bollocks: technically means “balls,” but often describes something seen as extremely negative or lacking in value; e.g. “total shit.”

9. “Bugger off!”: “Go away!” or “Leave me alone!” (Note: Bugger, used on its own, is akin to “Fuck!” or “Shit!”)

10. Chav: white trash.

11. Cheeky: to be not respectful of something, having a flippant or facetious attitude.

12. Chin Wag: to have a chat with someone.

13. Collywobbles: extreme queasiness or stomach pain brought on by stress, nervousness or anxiety.

15. Daft Cow: a very stupid person (See also: “Wazzock.”)

16. Dog’s Bollocks: extremely good or favorable, great

18. Donkey’s Years: ages, as in “I haven’t seen you in ages!”

19. Fagged: disturbed, bothered or interrupted (Example: If one were studying for a test, one would not want to be “fagged.”)

20. Fall Arse Over Tit: to have an embarrassing fall or to topple over.

See the remaining 51 Simple British Slang Phrases here : http://thoughtcatalog.com/nico-lang/2013/09/71-simple-british-slang-phrases-everyone-should-start-using/

Most of those are understood by many Americans, but we have a few alternate definitions -- "biggie" usually means "big deal, important matter"; "bender" usually means an extended period of intoxication and revelry (he's hung over after his bender last weekend). "Collywobbles" is used, but only by grandparents Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:56 pm

point percy at the porcelain  Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 pm

nicko wrote:Thought the aussies on here would get this one,   "Technicolour  Yawn" --------being sick.

yeah heard that one, there is a lot for being sick or anything related to drinking.
hugging the porcelain
feeding the wildlife (if outdoors)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Here 'Collywobbles' is when the Collington Football team is going really well for the first half of the match then stuff and lose it by the end.  Laughing Laughing Laughing 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Southern slang?

•  Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down – if someone is unbelievably unattractive, looking as though they’ve been hit with several ugly sticks, this is the proper way to express that ugliness

•  get up with – to contact or get together with

•  granny-slappin’ good (so good, it makes you want to slap your granny) – very good, usually delicious

•  gussied up – cleaned up and dressed very nicely (perhaps formally)

•  a hankerin’ for – a desire/craving for

•  happy as a puppy with two peckers/peters – very happy

•  high cotton – wealthy; successful (and maybe snobby)

•  hit with the ugly stick – if someone is quite unattractive, you can say they look like they’ve been hit with the ugly stick

•  honky-tonk – a bar, perhaps where country music is played live for folks to dance

•  hotter than a goat’s butt in a pepper patch – very hot

•  how-do – shortened form of “How do you do?”

•  If I had my druthers – if I had my way/my preference

•  knee-high to a grasshopper – very young and small, as in, “The last time I saw you, you were knee-high to a grasshopper, and look how grown-up you are now!”

•  lick – (noun) any amount at all, usually used in negative sentences such as, “I didn’t get a lick of work done today because my boss kept calling me in for meetings.” (verb) To beat up, as in, “I licked him good that time.”

•  like herding cats – anything that is difficult to do, but especially anything that requires organizing difficult people (like small children)

•  mash – to press or push, as in, “Mash that green button and turn on the computer.”

•  (to) need something like one needs a hole in the head – Obviously you do not need a hole in your head; it’s even bad for you. Thus anything you definitely don’t need, and that might be detrimental to you in some way is described by this phrase.

•  ornery – difficult to deal with; stubborn; finicky

•  piddly/piddlin’ – a small amount (negative connotation)

•  poop or get off the pot – make a decision and take action

•  reckon – suppose, guess, as in, “I reckon we’ll see you at the reunion.”

•  right – very (often surprisingly); an adverb usually used to modify adjectives, as in, “You wouldn’t know it to look at him, but he’s a right good ball player.”

•  rough talk – to speak harshly

•  rubber-neck – to drive slowly so as to get a good look at a wreck or disabled vehicle on the side of the road. Those who rubber-neck are rubber-neckers.

•  skedaddle – to leave hurriedly

•  snug as a bug (in a rug) – very comfortable

•  sugar – affection, as in, “Come here and give me some sugar.”

•  sweet talk – to speak nicely, usually in order to get something you want

•  tater – potato

•  (to) think one’s s*** don’t stink – to think too highly of oneself

•  tore up – broken/destroyed, as in, “I came home to find the curtains all tore up,” or, “My knee has been tore up since that skiing accident back in ’93.”

•  uppity – snobby

•  used to could – used to be able to, as in, “I can’t do a cartwheel any more, but I used to could.”

•  useless as tits on a bull – utterly useless

•  varmint – an animal (usually wild)

•  Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. – an expression of surprise, shock and/or disbelief

•  y’all – a contraction of you + all. This is the informal 2nd person plural in Southern English, from Scotland.

•  yankee – a person from the North

•  yapper – mouth

•  younguns – young people

•  you’uns – a contraction of you + ones. It is a collective plural as in "each of you."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2