NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you into healthy living?

+6
Cass
veya_victaous
Original Quill
nicko
Ben Reilly
eddie
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are you into healthy living? Empty Are you into healthy living?

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:32 am

Just talking about bacon on another thread made me think of asking if anyone here is into health foods at all?

I'm not some raw food freak lol, just that I actually really like fresh proper food and healthy food rather than what I call "synthetic" food.
I've always been that way; even as a child I disliked fried food and chips for example and preferred it when my mum grilled my sausages!

This morning I'm having a shake I made consisting of banana, kale, strawberries, raspberries and cucumber blended with water. I wouldn't have this for breakfast everyday because one thing I hate is too much repetition.

I also do high intensity workouts three times a week and probably veer more toward a vegetarian style diet (I do eat meat but prefer fish) and will always be aware of healthy food without being a bore.
I love chocolate so wouldn't give up my Green and blacks for anyone!

So anyone else care to join me or swap recipes even?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Are you into healthy living? Empty Re: Are you into healthy living?

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:07 pm

No one then?  lol! 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:10 pm

I'd love to do something like this but I just don't seem to find the time to cook properly, and I have a bad habit of waiting until I'm really hungry until I fix myself something really fast!

I do have a new resolution, though -- more fruit and vegetables. I just ordered a decent knife off Amazon to cut it all up with, because it's so much easier to eat things like apples when they've been nicely chopped up Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I'd love to do something like this but I just don't seem to find the time to cook properly, and I have a bad habit of waiting until I'm really hungry until I fix myself something really fast!

I do have a new resolution, though -- more fruit and vegetables. I just ordered a decent knife off Amazon to cut it all up with, because it's so much easier to eat things like apples when they've been nicely chopped up Smile

Well a sharp knife is a start!
Start making some chopping motions on some vegetables and make a soup  cheers 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 pm

I am on a see food diet....

I see food...I eat it.....

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:17 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:I am on a see food diet....

What do you eat?

Gosh I really though there'd be at least one person who was interested in healthy food!!

Tbf I've made it sound like I eat raw carrots and tofu and take great pleasure in it, but that's not the case.
I just wondered if anyone was into exercise or making healthier choices.

Bollocks. I'm going to have some maltesers then  Razz 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I'd love to do something like this but I just don't seem to find the time to cook properly, and I have a bad habit of waiting until I'm really hungry until I fix myself something really fast!

I actually agree with this Ben, I love a quartered apple, peach, nectarine, orange etc. Easy to eat at work  ::D:: x

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Eddie, a bacon sandwich,twice a week,pasta and tuna, lettuce,tomato and onion sandwich,cottage pie, cheese and potato pie, rabbit stew, roast chicken,spag boll
cheese sandwich, occasional doughnut, choc biscuit.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:20 pm

eddie wrote:

What do you eat?

Gosh I really though there'd be at least one person who was interested in healthy food!!

Tbf I've made it sound like I eat raw carrots and tofu and take great pleasure in it, but that's not the case.

Mmmm Maltesers  I love you I love you I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:22 pm

eddie wrote:

What do you eat?

almost anything edible. except anything with chilli in it.(chilli does nasty things to my uhmmm.....bowels...).
olives, which taste disgusting (though i like olive oil for some things) and even I draw the line at sauerkraut,

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:23 pm

nicko wrote:Eddie, a bacon sandwich,twice a week,pasta and tuna, lettuce,tomato and onion sandwich,cottage pie, cheese and potato pie, rabbit stew, roast chicken,spag boll
cheese sandwich,  occasional doughnut, choc biscuit.

You know I'd like to try rabbit stew but I'm not big on meat though I think I prefer game tbh, as chicken doesn't do it for me - at times chicken actually repulses me yet I cook it often as everyone else in my family like it.
They all all me a closet vegetarian lol but I'm actually not because I love a nice lamb shish done on a barbecue and I also like steak periodically.

Love cottage pie though! Can't beat it with grilled cheese on top with baked beans on the side or butter beans done in a chilli tomato sauce.

I had pheasant stew once done in red wine and that was really nice.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:26 pm

@Vic I love olives!!
Chilli I have to have mild as my stomach doesn't like too much of it.

Matt (tommy monk) gave me a great curry recipe. Will try that tomorrow.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:29 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
eddie wrote:

What do you eat?

almost anything edible. except anything with chilli in it.(chilli does nasty things to my uhmmm.....bowels...).
olives, which taste disgusting (though i like olive oil for some things) and even I draw the line at sauerkraut,

Pretty much use olive oil for cooking other than when cooking yorkshire pudding, it doesn't get hot enough  No

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:32 pm

feelthelove wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

Pretty much use olive oil for cooking other than when cooking yorkshire pudding, it doesn't get hot enough  No

Use grapeseed oil. No cholesterol and much better.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm

I love olive oil.

I bought some Almond butter today - like peanut butter but made from almonds.

Omg! To die for!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Grapesead oil? did you mean rapeseed oil?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Use grapeseed oil.  No cholesterol and much better.

Tend to opt for vegetable oil for this purpose  ::D:: x

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:32 pm

eddie wrote:

Well a sharp knife is a start!
Start making some chopping motions on some vegetables and make a soup  cheers 

Got me some of these Cool Cool Cool 

http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/products/shun-knives/knife-set-boxed-3-piece-na/?gclid=CKWa1PjHk78CFdgmvQodFA8ATg

Are you into healthy living? 753_1_thumbnail_2

Nothing like Folded steel Forged By a Japanese sword-smith    Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Yikes, those are bit pricey, but I bet I could kill the crap out of an apple with one Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:04 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Yikes, those are bit pricey, but I bet I could kill the crap out of an apple with one Smile

yeah I got them on special at a clearance sale Still $200 though...  Embarassed 
the Shun family are Legit Sword-smiths from the Samurai era though and they also make VERY expensive wood carving tools.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:14 am

feelthelove wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Use grapeseed oil.  No cholesterol and much better.

its the best and its really the only time I use it.....even for fried eggs I now use the light spray stuff (quill - pam). I oven bake now or grill.

eds I like healthy eating - I try - tonight fish, couscous, and roasted Brussels sprout and cauliflower with garlic and some chipotle seasoning.

my downfall is bread and pasta.....I made some gluten free spaghetti with home made sauce and gluten free chicken meatballs last week but the spaghetti was disgusting! still I have now found a low carb pasta - score

I need to use my blender more for fruit smoothies.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:10 am

Hi Eddie, missed this thread earlier, been busy.

Dark chocolate is known to be good for you, especially for lowering blood pressure....

I'm a bit like you by the sounds of it, don't eat a lot of meat, very rarely eat red meat, not a lot of chicken and probably more fish (sardines and mackerel mainly but Tesco do some great prime breaded fillets of cod/haddock £2.50 for 4 that I've been getting into lately...).

Can't get enough vegetables, you name it, I'll eat it, especially brussel sprouts, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, spinach, mushrooms.

Love roast pasnips but don't eat often.

Love tomatos, eat every day, but not a vegetable really, technically a fruit.

Usually start the day with a third pint fruit juice (usually red grape or berry blend) with two thirds pint sparkling water.

And a cod liver/fish oil supplement, been taking them for about 20 years almost every day.

Other times I have a decent multi vit + iron.

Sometimes have a salad style breakfast, half cucumber, vine ripeened tomato, beetroot, with boiled egg/cheese etc, or bowl muslie/alpen (sugar free of course!), or fried egg/tomato/mushroom in a wholemeal pitta, or toasted cheese on pitta with green chillis.

That will normally do me for most of day....

Usually have a selection of what I said earlier in evening, although I don't have any set structure of so many meals a day at given times etc, I'm more just eat what I fancy when I fancy it sort of person.

As today I started off with a lidl margarita pizza this morning topped up with onion, yellow pepper, green chilli and fresh tomato, plus an egg poured on, and some mixed Italian herbs, then this afternoon had a fresh cream apple danish from Greggs, then tonight just had a couple handfuls of cashews and some red wine.

Plus a couple of scrumpy jacks!!!!

Hardly ever drink any kind of fizzy pop, might have a can of coke maybe once or twice a year.

And never drink any fruit squash with sodium benzoate in it.... vitamin c + sodium benzoate = benzine which is linked with lukemia....

Anyway, not gonna be about for a few days, off to Glastonbury to have a wild time and ruin all my previous healthy endeavours.....

See you all on the other side!!!

And good luck with the curry Eddie, go easy on the chillis and ginger if you don't like it too spicy!!!

Laughing

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 am

God, you people are going to outlive me by decades ... Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 am

nicko wrote:Grapesead oil? did you mean rapeseed oil?

Are you into healthy living? Grapeseed-oil

Wiki wrote:Grape seed oil (also called grapeseed oil or grape oil) is pressed from the seeds of grapes, and is thus an abundant by-product of winemaking.

Grape seed oil has a moderately high smoke point of approximately 216 °C (421 °F). Due to its clean, light taste, and high polyunsaturated fat content, it may be used as an ingredient in salad dressings and mayonnaise and as a base for oil infusions of garlic, rosemary, or other herbs or spices. It is also excellent for use in baked goods, pancakes, and waffles. It is also sprayed on raisins to help them retain their flavor.

The metabolic energy density of grape seed oil is typical of vegetable oils: approximately 3,700 kJ (880 kcal) per 100 g, or 500 kJ (120 kcal) per 15 ml tablespoon.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:41 am

Tommy

pack your wellies.

You lucky thing you.  Jealous  gerbs

Bet you are glamping   Smile 

Enjoy.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:54 am

Lone Wolf wrote:Cool 

"Rapeseed Oil" is wot Canola Oil was known as up until the 1980's...

To remove the term "rape" from it's marketing efforts the world's oilseed industries agreed to change the plant and oils' name to Canola Oil (the name comes from 'Canadian Oilseeds Ltd.' the national growers co-op who were first to coin and register the name back in the 1970s or '60s..).

A LOT of people under 40 or so have probably never even heard the name "rapeseed" before ~ many probably thinking it's referring to some ultra-kinky website.    ::kiltbanan:: 

Most interesting.  I love such historical details.  Where did the name "rapeseed" come from?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:24 am

Wiki wrote:Rapeseed (Brassica napus), also known as rape, oilseed rape, rapa, rappi, rapaseed (and, in the case of one particular group of cultivars, canola), is a bright yellow flowering member of the family Brassicaceae (mustard or cabbage family), (油菜 p yóucài) consumed in China as a vegetable ("yu choy"). The name derives from the Latin for turnip, rāpa or rāpum, and is first recorded in English at the end of the 14th century. Older writers usually distinguished the turnip and rape by the adjectives round and long (-rooted), respectively. Rutabagas, Brassica napobrassica are sometimes considered a variety of Brassica napus. Some botanists also include the closely related Brassica campestris within B. napus.

Interesting.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:59 am

Cass wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

its the best and its really the only time I use it.....even for fried eggs I now use the light spray stuff (quill - pam). I oven bake now or grill.

eds I like healthy eating - I try - tonight fish, couscous, and roasted Brussels sprout and cauliflower with garlic and some chipotle seasoning.

my downfall is bread and pasta.....I made some gluten free spaghetti with home made sauce and gluten free chicken meatballs last week but the spaghetti was disgusting! still I have now found a low carb pasta - score

Try spelt pasta if they do it over there Cass? Or even corn pasta, it's a little softer but really nice!

Love cous cous and Brussels!

My favourite is lentils though, green puy ones cooked in tomatoes, red wine and garlic with a hint of paprika  cheers that goes well with salmon and roasted veg  Razz 

Cass try a blended banana, half avocado, kale and berries
What a kick start to the day! You'll have bundles of energy!!

I also make my own flavoured water, lemons, cucumber (a must!) and ginger or berries - whatever you fancy but the lemon and cucumber is wonderful for skin and us ladies who may get water retention xx
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:51 am

I never fry anything, I threw my frying pan out years ago, everything goes onto my George Forman grill, sometimes with a quick spray of sunflower oil. Its amazing the amount of fat that drains out of things while they are cooking, even things that look lean to start with  Razz 

If I'm in a rush, and as there is only me to cook for I throw some chicken or steak onto the grill, mushrooms, tomatoes, and a packet of those Birds Eye Rice fusion things that go into the microwave in, 10 mins and you have a nice healthy meal  Laughing 

harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:28 am

eddie wrote:I love olive oil.

Omg! To die for!
Funny, I could never stand the smell or taste of olive oil - olives though I could eat by the dozen. As for Almond milk!!! - I tried some and nearly spat it over the floor, so disgusting, yuck. I'm basically into healthy eating, with the odd weakness for tiramisu...

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:
Try spelt pasta if they do it over there Cass? Or even corn pasta, it's a little softer but really nice!
My favourite is lentils though, green puy ones cooked in tomatoes, red wine and garlic with a hint of paprika  cheers that goes well with salmon and roasted veg  Razz 
I also make my own flavoured water, lemons, cucumber (a must!) and ginger or berries - whatever you fancy but the lemon and cucumber is wonderful for skin and us ladies who may get water retention xx

girl pm me the lentil recipe....I havent had them in yonks
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:32 pm

stoopid kindle.....eds I will look next week when I get to a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods for the corn pasta....spelt ive tried but I found it a bit meh.

I drink plenty of water here - you have too - and my grocery store does the starbucks passionfruit iced teabags which I love with just a bit of lemonade as sweetner.

I will try your smoothie do you add milk or yoghurt? pm me any more ideas please ma'am xxx

^harves I know!!! its gross but kind of weirdly fascinating at the same time.

we had asparagus last night - tonight is the sprouts and cauliflower.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

No don't pm it - post it! Sounds delicious, one I'd like to try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:55 pm

In my view, healthy living is not eating anything processed. And some fats are actively good for you and help your heart etc and omega oils are good for your brain. I won't touch 'low fat' stuff because they fill it full of sugar. I have loads of fruit and veg, cook with olive oil and butter (marg is terrible), fish, chicken, rabbit, and other meat, plenty of pulses etc. But whatever you do, according to some expert or another you are doing something wrong so I don't take the slightest bit of notice of any of them lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Cass wrote:

No don't pm it - post it!  Sounds delicious, one I'd like to try.

Not being into healthy stuff even I have to agree it sounds delic.  Great for my veggie Son in Law.....  Recipe please too.

Will send Cookies by return

xx
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:14 pm

harvesmom wrote:I never fry anything, I threw my frying pan out years ago, everything goes onto my George Forman grill, sometimes with a quick spray of sunflower oil. Its amazing the amount of fat that drains out of things while they are cooking, even things that look lean to start with  Razz 

If I'm in a rush, and as there is only me to cook for I throw some chicken or steak onto the grill, mushrooms, tomatoes,  and a packet of those Birds Eye Rice fusion things that go into the microwave in, 10 mins and you have a nice healthy meal  Laughing 

I too often have to cook for one. I remember the Forman grill was great. Lost it in my fire. Never replaced it. Hmmm...good idea.

Cooking for one presents it's own problems. You either throw out tons of stuff, or you learn tricks that often compromise taste. I mean, I like things like split pea soup, pot roast, chili con roast beef, pasta sauces...dishes that you "build." When building, you add more to make your adjustments. Eventually, you have so much more than one person can consume. But a day-long pasta sauce, or pot roast in a slo-cooker, is only made by taste, add, taste, add, and on and on. Eventually you have way too much.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:26 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:

Cous-cous and Brussels sprouts.  That's a great idea.  Note to self: must try.

eddie wrote:My favourite is lentils though, green puy ones cooked in tomatoes, red wine and garlic with a hint of paprika  cheers that goes well with salmon and roasted veg  Razz 

Great ideas here.  Lov clean (not oily) things with salmon.

eddie wrote:Cass try a blended banana, half avocado, kale and berries

See, here's where cooking for one gets to be a bother.  Um...what do you do with the other half-avocado?  Me?  Goes in the fridge one day, black the next day, throw out the following day.  And Kale?  Safeway sells enough for an army...who uses that much?  Berries are always expensive...and half rot in the fridge.

eddie wrote:I also make my own flavoured water, lemons, cucumber (a must!) and ginger or berries - whatever you fancy but the lemon and cucumber is wonderful for skin and us ladies who may get water retention xx

I'm into flavoured waters. So much better than sodas or beer.

Also, cucumbers...save the pickle juice in jar of commercially prepared pickles, and after pickles are consumed put raw cucumbers in juice and soak for  2 - 3 days.  Comes out al dente...crisp with less pungent flavour.  Much better than the original pickles that came in the jar.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Cass, have to say, had dill pickles as opposed to gherkins on holiday and fell for them hook, line and sinkers.   Came back with some, trying to find a recipe on line for making my own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
eddie wrote:I love olive oil.

Omg! To die for!
Funny, I could never stand the smell or taste of olive oil - olives though I could eat by the dozen.  As for Almond milk!!! - I tried some and nearly spat it over the floor, so disgusting, yuck.  I'm basically into healthy eating, with the odd weakness for tiramisu...

Im with you on the Almond Milk, and the Tiramisu!  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
harvesmom wrote:I never fry anything, I threw my frying pan out years ago, everything goes onto my George Forman grill, sometimes with a quick spray of sunflower oil. Its amazing the amount of fat that drains out of things while they are cooking, even things that look lean to start with  Razz 

If I'm in a rush, and as there is only me to cook for I throw some chicken or steak onto the grill, mushrooms, tomatoes,  and a packet of those Birds Eye Rice fusion things that go into the microwave in, 10 mins and you have a nice healthy meal  Laughing 

I too often have to cook for one.  I remember the Forman grill was great.  Lost it in my fire.  Never replaced it.  Hmmm...good idea.

Cooking for one presents it's own problems.  You either throw out tons of stuff, or you learn tricks that often compromise taste.  I mean, I like things like split pea soup, pot roast, chili con roast beef, pasta sauces...dishes that you "build."  When building, you add more to make your adjustments.  Eventually, you have so much more than one person can consume.  But a day-long pasta sauce, or pot roast in a slo-cooker, is only made by taste, add, taste, add, and on and on.  Eventually you have way too much.

I love my George Forman and my steamer. Why don't you freeze half Quill Saves waste?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Nems wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I too often have to cook for one.  I remember the Forman grill was great.  Lost it in my fire.  Never replaced it.  Hmmm...good idea.

Cooking for one presents it's own problems.  You either throw out tons of stuff, or you learn tricks that often compromise taste.  I mean, I like things like split pea soup, pot roast, chili con roast beef, pasta sauces...dishes that you "build."  When building, you add more to make your adjustments.  Eventually, you have so much more than one person can consume.  But a day-long pasta sauce, or pot roast in a slo-cooker, is only made by taste, add, taste, add, and on and on.  Eventually you have way too much.

I love my George Forman and my steamer. Why don't you freeze half Quill Saves waste?

Tried that.  Froze it and even used tape and wrote on what is, and date.  A year later, found it in the back of the freezer.  It had turned into a science project.

Besides, frozen doesn't get that it's supposed to be something that has been coming along slowly, delicately, aromatically.  Maybe that's my problem...ya can't have that if you're cooking for one.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:01 am

Fry some onions in pan with olive oil add lentils add water (I always guess stuff sorry!) and the garlic (mush as you like) and chopped tomatoes (2 or 3) paprika and peppers etc if you fancy it
When lentils are halfway cooked dash in,some red wine - someone once said try vermouth? - anyway cook till soft

Cook salmon at the same time lol

Roast some red onion, courgette, aubergines, peppers, mushrooms. broccoli and cauliflower with olive oil and black pepper (I sometimes drizzle honey too)

That's it. Nothing spectacular but it's a really light but filling meal.

Goes nice with steamed cod too.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:05 am

Original Quill wrote:
Nems wrote:

Tried that.  Froze it and even used tape and wrote on what is, and date.  A year later, found it in the back of the freezer.  It had turned into a science project.

Besides, frozen doesn't get that it's supposed to be something that has been coming along slowly, delicately, aromatically.  Maybe that's my problem...ya can't have that if you're cooking for one.

You will have to get married again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:14 am

Sassy wrote:Cass, have to say, had dill pickles as opposed to gherkins on holiday and fell for them hook, line and sinkers.   Came back with some, trying to find a recipe on line for making my own.

HA! Everybody turns to the darkside eventually .....this is the exception for deep frying people.....with creamy canine dipping sauce.

enjoy! x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:19 am

Original Quill wrote:

It is a pain sometimes, but the grill is great, you should think about buying another. I try not to use the microwave too much, although I do use it for jacket potatoes, not having the oven on for 2 hours for one potato!

If I fancy a Sunday Lunch, I always cook 2 and have one on Monday, hasn't killed me yet! Also I do tend to make loads and then freeze soups, curry sauces, spag bol and then all you have to do is cook fresh pasta or rice. I also have a very grateful and well fed dog!!!
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next