NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?

+4
Eilzel
veya_victaous
Cass
eddie
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Empty Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:06 pm

We all have a hobby I guess, please share your tips and pictures:

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Photo110

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Photo210

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Photo310

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Photo510

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Photo710

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Photo811

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Photo411

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Photo111

I've been busy too Victor!!!  ::D:: x

Back to top Go down

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Empty Re: Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:08 pm

feelthelove wrote:We all have a hobby I guess, please share your tips and pictures:

From me to you, i share my most valuable tip:

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Groceries/Fruit_and_Veg

With love,

BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Empty Re: Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Cracki11 Brilliant!!! Waitrose, get you!!!! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:13 pm

lol! @ Andy
Last year I grew a strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Nems wrote:lol! @  Andy

Last year i blew a raspberry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Nems wrote:lol! @  Andy

We'll soon change that Missy Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Giggle17 xxx

PS - grew a strawberry or blowed one, nooooooo sorry that's a raspberry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  geek lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:23 pm

I love veggies but have to admit I prefer Mediterranean veg like courgettes and aubergines and stuff.

FTL those pics are stunning! Nothing like fresh produce and I'm actually very jealous of you right now. Evil or Very Mad 

And nems? One strawberry? Bit erm, pathetic.....  No 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:34 pm

eddie wrote:I love veggies but have to admit I prefer Mediterranean veg like courgettes and aubergines and stuff.

FTL those pics are stunning! Nothing like fresh produce and I'm actually very jealous of you right now. Evil or Very Mad 

I'm growing round courgettes this year for a change. We BBQ a lot and I know it's sad but there is nothing like going to the end of the garden, picking them and cooking them straight away.  Scoop out the insides and mix with white sauce, cheese and pepper, replace and grill Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Yum10

Hard work but very rewarding x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:36 pm

eddie wrote:I love veggies but have to admit I prefer Mediterranean veg like courgettes and aubergines and stuff.

You have no idea, the slugs ate it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Nems wrote:

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Rofl12 Only you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Nems wrote:

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Rofl12 Only you!

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Smiley_bored

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:54 pm

To MAY toes

And herbs when the dog doesn't widdle on them!
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 pm

lovely FTL....unfortunately I am to growing greenery what atilla the hun was to democracy.....
I plant it, water it love it and look after it......and it commits suicide.........

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Chillies
Super Hot ones, the Mildest is Habanero, I got Ghost Chillies "bhut jolokia" and have seeds to plant in spring for Trinidad Scorpion chillies.

lots of herbs it is a bit different here because things like Parsley, Coriander, Basil and Mint grow all year round I don't really look after them they just grow Particularity the Parsley, one year it almost took over. decided it was time to cull some of it when there were 5 foot Parsley plants  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 am

feelthelove wrote:

I'm growing round courgettes this year for a change. We BBQ a lot and I know it's sad but there is nothing like going to the end of the garden, picking them and cooking them straight away.  Scoop out the insides and mix with white sauce, cheese and pepper, replace and grill Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Yum10

FTL there's nothing sad about growing something as splendid as a veg and eating it fresh xxx

I'm jealous and waiting for an invite to your next BBQ!  cheers 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 am

Nems wrote:

Rolling Eyes 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:20 am

eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

FTL there's nothing sad about growing something as splendid as a veg and eating it fresh xxx

I'm jealous and waiting for an invite to your next BBQ!  cheers 

oi get to the back of the que.....honestly.....some people are so rude thinking they can barge in front.

^FTL - fabulous pictures your garden is amazing......please come visit and do mine xx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:24 am

victorisnotamused wrote:lovely FTL....unfortunately I am to growing greenery what atilla the hun was to democracy.....
I plant it, water it love it and look after it......and it commits suicide.........

You fucking kill me victor  lol! lol! lol! 

^garden looks fab FtL, I'm just too lazy for that sort of thing  Embarassed 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:38 am

feelthelove wrote:We all have a hobby I guess, please share your tips and pictures:

And what a beautiful home you have. I'm really, really impressed.

Got an extra room? I'm really good with toadstools.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:06 am

I try to grow fruit and veg against all the odds! The soil's terrible so I have to use bought stuff, the weather's too cold and wet so the only stuff that grows at all is under plastic, the whole place is a gigantic slugfest and, to top it all, I have a bastard of a pony who breaks fences and who last week ate my whole herb garden...

oh to win the lottery and put up strong fencing and buy huge polytunnels...

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Cass wrote:To MAY toes

And herbs when the dog doesn't widdle on them!

We have raised beds for a reason Cass, Max has supervised access Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Dog_410  lol! xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:03 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:lovely FTL....unfortunately I am to growing greenery what atilla the hun was to democracy.....

We should share Victor, you bring the meat and I'll supply the veg................there has to be a joke in there somewhere Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Ashame13 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:06 pm

veya_victaous wrote:Chillies
Super Hot ones, the Mildest is Habanero, I got Ghost Chillies "bhut jolokia" and have seeds to plant in spring for Trinidad Scorpion chillies.

lots of herbs it is a bit different here because things like Parsley, Coriander, Basil and Mint grow all year round I don't really look after them they just grow Particularity the Parsley, one year it almost took over. decided it was time to cull some of it when there were 5 foot Parsley plants  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 

Ohhh send some pics Veya  lol! 

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Hot10 We're growing hot and sweet peppers too  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 pm

@ Eddie and Cass - a Newfix BBQ???!!  But who will bring the cookies?  Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Giggle20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:12 pm

Original Quill wrote:

And what a beautiful home you have.  I'm really, really impressed.

Got an extra room?  I'm really good with toadstools.

@ Les thanks, you're not lazy; you just have different priorities right now  I love you xxx

@ Quill, thank you and of course Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Hug_413 xxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Tesstacious wrote:I try to grow fruit and veg against all the odds!  The soil's terrible so I have to use bought stuff, the weather's too cold and wet so the only stuff that grows at all is under plastic, the whole place is a gigantic slugfest and, to top it all, I have a bastard of a pony who breaks fences and who last week ate my whole herb garden...

oh to win the lottery and put up strong fencing and buy huge polytunnels...

Wow, sounds like a real challenge Tess, I admire your determination Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Thumbs13  We gave up last year because of the weather but really missed it so we are committed to keeping on top of things this year regardless!

@ Bee - please share those pics  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:20 pm

I have decided to be brave and so have bought a tomato plant

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Thinking of the structure: those raised beds look to be 8 x 12's.  How have you secured them, FTL?  

Probably a question for OH.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:25 pm

feelthelove wrote:

We should share Victor, you bring the meat and I'll supply the veg................there has to be a joke in there somewhere Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Ashame13 x

what do you fancy...crow?...pigeon....rabbit...FOX?

you will have to wait till later on in the year for some "posh nosh" like pheasant, partridge or duck...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Nems wrote:I have decided to be brave and so have bought a tomato plant

I hope you didn't buy it just for me!!! Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Throw_10  affraid   lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:Thinking of the structure: those raised beds look to be 8 x 12's.  How have you secured them, FTL?  

Probably a question for OH.

They are railway sleepers Quill, drilled through and secured with 15mm width steel rods. 12ft by 12ft.  The sleepers came from overseas, Belgium I think Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Nails10 This was the only project I was excused from in the house and garden; too heavy.  Hubby devised a ladder with wheelbarrow wheels to move them  affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Very kewl.  Congratulate him.

I know they're 12-footers (length), but height/width is what I mean.  Looks like excellent work.

I wouldn't excuse a gorgeous woman from work...keep 'er around just fer company.

Last edited by Original Quill on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:40 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

you will have to wait till later on in the year for some "posh nosh" like pheasant, partridge or duck...

Are you allowed to eat crow??!!!   affraid  I come from a family who caught/shot/grew most of what we ate but I don't think I ever ate a crow or a fox!

I hope you're not accusing me of being posh Victor! Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Giggle21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Original Quill wrote:Very kewl.  Congratulate him.

I know they're 12-footers (length), but height/width is what I mean.  Looks like excellent work.

I will!  I hope we don't ever change our minds.  Can you imagine trying to get those apart???? Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  No_sha11

Been there a few years now, it works for us.  We used to have the whole area including the grass to veg; combined with our full time jobs it was a nightmare, more of an ordeal than a pleasure.  We have found the balance x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:49 pm

feelthelove wrote:

I hope you didn't buy it just for me!!! Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Throw_10  affraid   lol!

Its cos I loves ya  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 pm

feelthelove wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

Are you allowed to eat crow??!!!   affraid  I come from a family who caught/shot/grew most of what we ate but I don't think I ever ate a crow or a fox!

I hope you're not accusing me of being posh Victor! Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Giggle21

well you can eat crow...but personally I wouldnt...(flying rats) but young rookm is supposed to be nice...ever heard of rook pie...

Fox is a joke.....it is (apparently) absolutely foul, and in anycase you shouldnt eat "predators"

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Be careful an ant doesn't devour it  Rolling Eyes 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

well you can eat crow...but personally I wouldnt...(flying rats) but young rookm is supposed to be nice...ever heard of rook pie...

Fox is a joke.....it is (apparently) absolutely foul, and in anycase you shouldnt eat "predators"

I have no idea what I ate as a child Victor. Spent a lot of time with my grandparents. I remember the pheasants hanging in the bathroom by their necks and my grandmother plucking them and the feathers everywhere. The cooking of the potato skins for the chickens. Us shelling peas on the doorstep. It was a different world x

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi folks. We grow lots of veg, including toms and courgettes. I picked a load of peas and broad beans this morning. Like FTL we have tomatoes in grow bags along the back wall, in the sun most of the day. But oh! Those damned slugs, I've never seen so many before. Along one fence we've got raspberrys which I've been picking for over a week now. Lovely. Oh yes, and a baytree, we like the leaves in soups.
Early potatoes are now being dug up, Lady Crystal variety, they make a nice salad potato. Lettuces have been chomped by slugs and snails. grrr, little beggers.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 pm

stardesk wrote:Hi folks. We grow lots of veg, including toms and courgettes. I picked a load of peas and broad beans this morning. Like FTL we have tomatoes in grow bags along the back wall, in the sun most of the day. But oh! Those damned slugs, I've never seen so many before. Along one fence we've got raspberrys which I've been picking for over a week now. Lovely. Oh yes, and a baytree, we like the leaves in soups.
Early potatoes are now being dug up, Lady Crystal variety, they make a nice salad potato. Lettuces have been chomped by slugs and snails. grrr, little beggers.

Ooh a baytree! How lovely!
Gonna see about getting me one of those  cheers 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:27 pm

eddie wrote:
stardesk wrote:Hi folks. We grow lots of veg, including toms and courgettes. I picked a load of peas and broad beans this morning. Like FTL we have tomatoes in grow bags along the back wall, in the sun most of the day. But oh! Those damned slugs, I've never seen so many before. Along one fence we've got raspberrys which I've been picking for over a week now. Lovely. Oh yes, and a baytree, we like the leaves in soups.

You still persecuted with the cats?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Nems wrote:
eddie wrote:

Yes!!!! So much of it today!!
Did you hear me cussing?  Shocked 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:01 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

Did you hear  me cussing?  Shocked 
Im so happy I don't have that here
My other house the near neighbours had 15 cats that shat everywhere.
Where I am now there is 8 dogs in our little close so we hardly see a cat  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:05 am

feelthelove wrote:@ Eddie and Cass - a Newfix BBQ???!!  But who will bring the cookies?  Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Giggle20

why Eddie of course....unless someone pays me airfare....y'all can have a whip round .....and ill bring em......but.....there must be pork.....lots and lots of pork.....
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:54 am

Cass wrote:
feelthelove wrote:@ Eddie and Cass - a Newfix BBQ???!!  But who will bring the cookies?  Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Giggle20

why Eddie of course....unless someone pays me airfare....y'all can have a whip round .....and ill bring em......but.....there must be pork.....lots and lots of pork.....

Yum...pulled pork sandwich...

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcYaW4lFYQiXG1uzDkQghqMQT5iXRkrc5V_IAyEp6LLQyZIk4K

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:02 am

Original Quill wrote:
Cass wrote:

Yum...pulled pork sandwich...

Does anyone here grow their own fruit and vegetables?  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcYaW4lFYQiXG1uzDkQghqMQT5iXRkrc5V_IAyEp6LLQyZIk4K

Ooh harves has a great recipe for pulled pork!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:04 am

Nems wrote:
eddie wrote:

Did you hear  me cussing?  Shocked 
Where I am now there is 8 dogs in our little close so we hardly see a cat  cheers 

Pfffff don't brag.
When we meet up this summer, if we can all manage it, I'll bring a bag of cat poo with me just to make it even  Evil or Very Mad 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:29 am

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

Pfffff don't brag.
When we meet up this summer, if we can all manage it, I'll bring a bag of cat poo with me just to make it even  Evil or Very Mad 

I keep telling ya. Lion poo that's what you need. Gets rid of cats no problem.
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next