NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ukip success prompts Cameron to reach out and 'show respect'

3 posters

Go down

Ukip success prompts Cameron to reach out and 'show respect' Empty Ukip success prompts Cameron to reach out and 'show respect'

Post by captain Sat May 04, 2013 2:47 am

PM who once called Ukip 'fruitcakes' says it is no good insulting party that won nearly a quarter of the vote in English local elections

David Cameron has reached out to Ukip voters by saying the Tories will now show respect for supporters of Nigel Farage's party after it won nearly a quarter of the vote in the English local elections.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/03/ukip-success-cameron-show-respect
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Ukip success prompts Cameron to reach out and 'show respect' Empty Re: Ukip success prompts Cameron to reach out and 'show respect'

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 04, 2013 5:23 pm

I'd never really heard of this party before now. Checking out Wikipedia, it seems they have some agenda items that are legit (not wanting to be part of the EU) and some controversies (members resigning charging the party of racism). I have to admit, the label "libertarian" on anything these days makes me lean toward the fruitcake label until I have more evidence ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ukip success prompts Cameron to reach out and 'show respect' Empty Re: Ukip success prompts Cameron to reach out and 'show respect'

Post by Lurker Sat May 04, 2013 5:35 pm

I have to admit, the label "libertarian" on anything these days makes me lean toward the fruitcake label until I have more evidence ...
Hear! Hear!
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Ukip success prompts Cameron to reach out and 'show respect' Empty Fruit cake being the words.

Post by captain Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Used to describe these nut jobs!

:D
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm

From what I've learned through various sources, it's actually rather predictable that fringe groups, radicals and cranks get a bit more of a voice when times are hard, like during economic crises. No system is perfect, of course, but that doesn't stop us from looking for one that is, and when the present system shows its cracks, we tend to entertain wackier ideas. ("[My opponent] says there are no easy answers. I say, he's not looking hard enough!" -- Bart Simpson)

I think the problem is that we're always seeking a cure-all rather than realistic ways to address a problem. Here, to me, is the classic example:

In the 80s and 90s in San Francisco, AIDS was a big problem and city officials were trying to figure out ways to slow its spread. One idea that worked tremendously, it turned out, was giving clean needles to drug abusers.

This sounded like a crazy idea to many people, especially back then (when it was created in the early 90s), after Reagan had spent eight years demonizing drug users. But it showed wisdom, I think, to say, 'We recognize that you're going to use drugs regardless of our police action, so at least prevent yourself and others from accidentally contracting an incurable immune disorder."

Just to take my rambling rant on another bend, it is now fashionable among educators to call one's approach "evidence-based." That means that you've read studies about techniques that help children learn best, and you use those techniques.

I think the San Francisco needle exchange was a great example of evidence-based policy making in that it adhered to reality. It's really simple -- if you study what works and try it, you're often successful.

If, on the other hand, you implement policies based on faith -- which are often contradicted by evidence, such as the faith that cutting taxes always helps the economy -- you tend to eventually end up in a crisis.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down