NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............

+4
'Wolfie
Maddog
Cass
Victorismyhero
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............   Empty Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:47 am

They can just go down to the store and buy them............

Late last month, I had the opportunity to discuss my recent book, Biting the Hands that Feed Us: How Fewer, Smarter Laws Would Make Our Food System More Sustainable, before a Seattle-based group of family and consumer scientists, many of them retired. During my talk, I focused in part on a series of city ordinances around the country that ban people from gardening in their own front yards. As almost always happens, these particular laws, among the countless dozens I discuss in the book, raised the most ire among the audience:

"Why would any city do this? How can a city do this? I hope these people are fighting back!"

One of the most egregious examples I highlighted comes from an ongoing case in Miami Shores, Fla. There, Hermine Ricketts and her husband, Laurence Carroll, had kept a nicely manicured vegetable garden in their front yard for nearly two decades. Then, in 2013, Miami Shores adopted an ordinance that banned vegetable gardens, and vowed to fine violators each day they failed to comply with the law.

The couple sued, arguing, as a local CBS affiliate put it, "that the ordinance ran afoul of the Florida Constitution, including that it violated their privacy rights and their right to acquire, possess and protect property."

Last year, a Florida state court upheld the vegetable-garden ban, on grounds that aesthetic reasons—the city thinks vegetables are ugly—are sufficient justification for a city to ban vegetable gardens.

http://reason.com/archives/2017/11/11/florida-appeals-court-upholds-citys-vegg
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............   Empty Re: Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............

Post by Cass Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:55 am

It’s simple again. If you don’t like the rules, don’t buy a house in a HOA.

It’s not rocket science.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............   Empty Re: Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............

Post by Guest Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:58 am

Cass wrote:It’s simple again. If you don’t like the rules, don’t buy a house in a HOA.

It’s not rocket science.

Me lady

You do realized he has triggered you?????

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:59 am

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:It’s simple again. If you don’t like the rules, don’t buy a house in a HOA.

It’s not rocket science.

Me lady

You do realized he has triggered you?????

Hahahahaha. No you did. See the other thread lol!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:33 am

It’s not rocket science.

It's not in a HOA. affraid
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:20 pm

It was Miami Shores, FL, a city.  MD, you do raise the poignant point.

City or HOA?  If we didn't have government, private interests would impose rules just the same.  Isn't that a repetition of what we've known all along: pure, unmitigated freedom is inherently unstable.

Are you saying it's bad if government makes the rules(?); but it's OK if a private entity makes the rules?

It's a proven fact that free market capitalism (in economics) always breaks down into monopoly.  (The competition created does not cause producers to lower costs, but eliminate each other, until only one exists.)

For me, I would rather allow rule-making to go to a democratic government that, at least, I have a say in producing, than give it over to the rich and powerful private interests where I have no say.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Original Quill wrote:It was Miami Shores, FL, a city.  MD, you do raise the poignant point.

City or HOA?  If we didn't have government, private interests would impose rules just the same.  Isn't that a repetition of what we've known all along: pure, unmitigated freedom is inherently unstable.

Are you saying it's bad if government makes the rules(?); but it's OK if a private entity makes the rules?

It's a proven fact that free market capitalism (in economics) always breaks down into monopoly.  (The competition created does not cause producers to lower costs, but eliminate each other, until only one exists.)

For me, I would rather allow rule-making to go to a democratic government that, at least, I have a say in producing, than give it over to the rich and powerful private interests where I have no say.

An HOA is a private club. Don't like that club, don't join. One cannot unjoin from government. They send out men with guns to make you rejoin.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:24 pm

And, since you commented Quiĺl, do you have anything to say about this vegetable ban, or would you prefer to continue to dodge the topic and ramble?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Maddog wrote:

It’s not rocket science.

It's not in a HOA.  affraid

Ok true. City ordinance. They could sell up and move. Or comply and then run for city council or get an initiative on the ballot. If other people agree they will be supported.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It's not in a HOA.  affraid

Ok true. City ordinance. They could sell up and move. Or comply and then run for city council or get an initiative on the ballot. If other people agree they will be supported.

Yes, they could always fight city hall, which they did. They lost, so I imagine they might be moving because of the serious crime of growing a fucking turnip in the front yard.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Maddog wrote:And, since you commented Quiĺl, do you have anything to say about this vegetable ban, or would you prefer to continue to dodge the topic and ramble?

I've said it, and it's right on point. Don't tell others what to post. It's abusive.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:And, since you commented Quiĺl, do you have anything to say about this vegetable ban, or would you prefer to continue to dodge the topic and ramble?

I've said it, and it's right on point.  Don't tell others what to post.  It's abusive.

Do the answer is you will continue to dodge.

OK. cheers
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:It was Miami Shores, FL, a city.  MD, you do raise the poignant point.

An HOA is a private club.  Don't like that club, don't join.  One cannot unjoin from government. They send out men with guns to make you rejoin.  

Governments are absolute because monopolies are absolute. I'd rather be subject to a government in which I had some say, than some kind of failed freedom, resulting in an autocracy or despotism.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

An HOA is a private club.  Don't like that club, don't join.  One cannot unjoin from government. They send out men with guns to make you rejoin.  

Governments are absolute because monopolies are absolute.  I'd rather be subject to a government in which I had some say, than some kind of failed freedom, resulting in an autocracy or despotism.

I think you would be happy on a plantation with a benevolent master. Shocked
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:

Yes, they could always fight city hall, which they did. They lost, so I imagine they might be moving because of the serious crime of growing a fucking turnip in the front yard.

It’s life. We can’t always do or get what we want.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I've said it, and it's right on point.  Don't tell others what to post.  It's abusive.

Do the answer is you will continue to dodge.

OK. cheers

Repetition is a crutch, for use when lacking original thought. Try submitting your ideas to challenge, instead of running down useless rabbit holes.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Governments are absolute because monopolies are absolute.  I'd rather be subject to a government in which I had some say, than some kind of failed freedom, resulting in an autocracy or despotism.

I think you would be happy on a plantation with a benevolent master.   Shocked

Nonsense.  You are contradicting yourself.

You fail to understand the equation of freedom --> autocracy.  Absolute freedom, as you conceive of it, is an unstable element.  It constantly devolves into an inflexible order, or despotism, if it is not constantly monitored and adjusted for errors.

It's kinda like the flying wing, which was always unstable until engineers developed computer fly-by-wire, which (surprise) constantly monitors and adjusts for errors.

Writ large, that's the problem with freedom, whether the subject be free market economics, or anarchy/libertarian politics; free suspension is inevitably unstable, and always devolves into some sort of fixed solidity, usually monopoly or despotism, the very thing you are trying to avoid.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Maddog wrote:

You can too unjoin a government -- you can renounce your citizenship and move off of the land that is the sovereign domain of the American people.

Why do libertarians think they can have civilization for free?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You can too unjoin a government -- you can renounce your citizenship and move off of the land that is the sovereign domain of the American people.

Yeah, I can leave the country.

That's a bit different than moving two blocks down the road to get out of a HOA.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I think you would be happy on a plantation with a benevolent master.   Shocked

You fail to understand the equation of freedom --> autocracy.  Absolute freedom, as you conceive of it, is an unstable element.  It constantly devolves into an inflexible order, or despotism, if it is not constantly monitored and adjusted for errors.

It's kinda like the flying wing, which was always unstable until engineers developed computer fly-by-wire, which (surprise) constantly monitors and adjusts for errors.

Writ large, that's the problem with freedom, whether the subject be free market economics, or anarchy/libertarian politics; free suspension is inevitably unstable, and always devolves into some sort of fixed solidity, usually monopoly or despotism, the very thing you are trying to avoid.

OK.

Damn you like to type.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yeah, I can leave the country.

That's a bit different than moving two blocks down the road to get out of a HOA.

Well, yeah. I guess it depends on how much you love the "freedom" you'd have if you didn't have to pay taxes.

Libertarians might want to vote with their dollars, you know? Or, I'm sorry, with your gold nuggets or bitcoin or whatever.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:48 am

No doubt people do vote with their feet. Still doesn't mean that folks can't point out the stupidity.of many of the laws in the land of the free.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:50 am

I mean if you wake up one morning in a.country with an orange buffoon in charge, you probably should just shut up or move to Cuba. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 am

So the sum it all up Aggie, you want rules but only the ones you like or agree with?
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:59 am

Cass wrote:So the sum it all up Aggie, you want rules but only the ones you like or agree with?

I want as few as possible. I have explained how I generally come about deciding if they are necessary. I am fairly consistent. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:02 am

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:So the sum it all up Aggie, you want rules but only the ones you like or agree with?

I want as few as possible.  I have explained how I generally come about deciding if they are necessary.  I am fairly consistent. Wink

I know, just putting it into fewer words Wink
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

OK.

Damn you like to type.

Unfortunately, wisdom doesn't always come in 140 characters.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

OK.

Damn you like to type.

Brevity is the soul of wit. Try being a little more witty. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:08 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Unfortunately, there's no wisdom behind your wit.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:10 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Then I guess it's fortunate that there is brevity. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:23 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Then I guess it's fortunate that there is brevity.  Wink

I think this brevity kick, started by twitter, is just a fad. Notice it tends to favor those with short attention spans. Um...that would be conservatives...maybe, Trump?

I says, you say what is necessary, and get on with it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:25 am

I can see some virtue in what MD is saying

a govt should be just big enough to provide the necessities and tax accordingly, but by the same token it should be small enough not to be impositional on what are to be truthful trivial matters.

take housing ordanances....they should concern themselves soley with physical safety of the building and its services, NOT whether you can grow veggies...or put up a ham radio antenna .
over here MUCH of law from local (and to a lesser but significant amount central) govt is implemented not so much to deal with any "problem" (since you will usually find there is existing law to deal with it ) as to give the impression that they are actually doing something.

I do think we are better at smaller govt when you look at our national expenditure, since welfare health and pensions make up the greater part of our national buget.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Then I guess it's fortunate that there is brevity.  Wink

I think this brevity kick, started by twitter, is just a fad.  Notice it tends to favor those with short attention spans.  Um...that would be conservatives...maybe, Trump?

I says, you say what is necessary, and get on with it.

I thought the brevity kick was started by some dead English dude. Billy Shake something or other? Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Victor wrote:take housing ordanances....they should concern themselves soley with physical safety of the building and its services, NOT whether you can grow veggies...or put up a ham radio antenna

Aesthetic planning is where the fight is. People almost care more about pink petunias, than fire escapes and sprinklers.

Over here, it's coupled with the idea of the American dream...a pretty home, in a perfect neighborhood, and two cars. Giving up anything of the American dream is like giving up one's gun:

Oh no, get the fook outta here!!

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Maddog wrote:I thought the brevity kick was started by some dead English dude.

That's style, not brevity for its own sake.  Probably most promoted by Hemmingway.

Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............   Write-hard-and-clear-about-what-hurts

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:I thought the brevity kick was started by some dead English dude.

That's style, not brevity for its own sake.  Probably most promoted by Hemmingway.

Nobody needs to grow vegetables...............   Write-hard-and-clear-about-what-hurts

So Hemmingway wrote Hamlet?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

So Hemmingway wrote Hamlet?  

No but Bacon did Wink
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Maddog wrote:So Hemmingway wrote Hamlet?

Lol...the operative word you missed is, NOT.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Victor wrote:take housing ordanances....they should concern themselves soley with physical safety of the building and its services, NOT whether you can grow veggies...or put up a ham radio antenna

Aesthetic planning is where the fight is.  People almost care more about pink petunias, than fire escapes and sprinklers.  

Over here, it's coupled with the idea of the American dream...a pretty home, in a perfect neighborhood, and two cars.  Giving up anything of the American dream is like giving up one's gun:

I agree with the beautification vs safety aspect. When we moved back here from the UK, I was astounded at how lacking both Home and workplace culture was in health and safety issues compared to the UK. The UK and Europe seems to be proactive whereas the US is retroactive and entities will only do something once something bad has happened or they get sued.

We have lots of people out here who are in county land vs city. They want the County to abolish lots of building codes and lower the costs of permit because it’s against their personal freedoms. But guess who shouts the loudest and threatens to sue at the drop of a hat when something goes wrong or a tragedy occurs?

Lots of rural fire departments were given grants to help give away and install free fire alarms. They had hardly any takers because house holders didn’t want no damn government agencies in their homes.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Do counties in AZ have building codes? In Texas you can live in what you want as long as you are out in the county.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Maddog wrote:Do counties in AZ have building codes? In Texas you can live in what you want as long as you are out in the county.  

Yup a lot do.

Even in the city there’s no real enforcement. Till somebody dies.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Maddog wrote:No doubt people do vote with their feet. Still doesn't mean that folks can't point out the stupidity.of many of the laws in the land of the free.  

But this is where libertarianism often is called political autism -- it has trouble with the human aspect of politics.

The sort of person who would use force to shut down front-yard vegetable gardens is the exact same type of person who would vote for fewer taxes and regulations -- I.E., a rich person, who wants more "freedom" to endanger employees at the workplace, consumers of their goods and services, and the environment ... and wants "freedom" from having to share a burden of the cost of a common defense, a court system, police and fire -- let alone helping out those people who decided to be poor.

These people have big, beautiful expensive homes and very particular ideas about what looks nice and what lowers property values. It's not about loving freedom! It's just about loving money, and it always has been and always will be.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:No doubt people do vote with their feet. Still doesn't mean that folks can't point out the stupidity.of many of the laws in the land of the free.  

But this is where libertarianism often is called political autism -- it has trouble with the human aspect of politics.

The sort of person who would use force to shut down front-yard vegetable gardens is the exact same type of person who would vote for fewer taxes and regulations -- I.E., a rich person, who wants more "freedom" to endanger employees at the workplace, consumers of their goods and services, and the environment ... and wants "freedom" from having to share a burden of the cost of a common defense, a court system, police and fire -- let alone helping out those people who decided to be poor.

These people have big, beautiful expensive homes and very particular ideas about what looks nice and what lowers property values. It's not about loving freedom! It's just about loving money, and it always has been and always will be.

Texan to Texan, that's a load of horseshit.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:Do counties in AZ have building codes? In Texas you can live in what you want as long as you are out in the county.  

Yup a lot do.

Or they plant some vegetables.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:13 am

Cass wrote:

Yup a lot do.

Pima County and Maricopa County they have pretty good enforcement, I can't say for other areas. It's really rural in some places. I know Cochise County has some wildcat developments between Sierra Vista and Rita Road, south of I-10.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:31 am

Original Quill wrote:
Victor wrote:
take housing ordanances....they should concern themselves soley with physical safety of the building and its services, NOT whether you can grow veggies...or put up a ham radio antenna

Aesthetic planning is where the fight is.  People almost care more about pink petunias, than fire escapes and sprinklers.  

Over here, it's coupled with the idea of the American dream...a pretty home, in a perfect neighborhood, and two cars.  Giving up anything of the American dream is like giving up one's gun:

Arrow

And,  "the proof of the pudding is in the eating..".

Just look to all those $$million$$ pine-framed, cedar-clad shingle-roofed fire traps going up in flames in southern California, where their dickhead owners have planted out their neighbourhoods with non-indigenous eucalyptus trees..

Or those  $10 million  beachside mansions being washed away in winter storm surges, simply because the braindead inbred owners thought their wealth could outbid Mother Nature's forces..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:26 am

I'v allways wondered why people who live in Fire risk areas build in wood, what's wrong with Brick with stone tiled roofs? Cheaper I suppose.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:54 am

nicko wrote:I'v allways wondered why people who live in Fire risk areas build in wood,    what's wrong with Brick  with stone tiled roofs?      Cheaper I suppose.

with the big bushfires we get own here (which California get close too) the bricks crack and shatter from the heat, anything bar solid concrete is damaged to the extent that it needs to be cleared and rebuilt. If your really in the path of the fire nothing is safe.

Although the US houses don't seem to take any preventive design measures
Corrugated steel roofing is popular in bushfire prone areas because it wont catch from the floating embers
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:15 am

Can't understand why they use Wooden roof tiles, that's asking for trouble !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:43 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

Texan to Texan, that's a load of horseshit.  

Oh, okay Smile

At least you're not offering the usual circular logic libertarian-splanation.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next