NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way?

+7
veya_victaous
Original Quill
Stephenmarra
Cass
eddie
nicko
Ben Reilly
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Empty What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way?

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

For me it's the smell of a rose or new leather.  ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way?

Post by Cass Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:43 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:

coffee yuck but BACON????? YYOU HEATHEN......pfft

Bacon tastes a bit blah, but smells divine. It promises but doesn't deliver.
I'd rather have smoked salmon.

I'd have both Smile
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 pm

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

Bacon tastes a bit blah, but smells divine. It promises but doesn't deliver.
I'd rather have smoked salmon.

I'd have both Smile

Greedy!!  geek lol! xxx

I can accept that, what I don't get is bacon with pancakes and maple syrup What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Smiley17

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:12 am

feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:

Ooh absolutely FTL!! Though if I drank champagne at breakfast I'd be asleep by lunchtime  ::drnkpst:: 

Hey, everyone needs a nap now and then!!! What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Hic_dr11 x

Love a nap!  
God I'm getting old.  Sad 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:23 am

feelthelove wrote:
Cass wrote:

I'd have both Smile

Greedy!!  geek lol! xxx

I can accept that, what I don't get is bacon with pancakes and maple syrup What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Smiley17

bacon on a toasted teacake yummy.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:48 am

feelthelove wrote:
Cass wrote:

I'd have both Smile

Greedy!!  geek lol! xxx

me either....that's icky.....my pancakes or better yet French toast has to be on a completely separate plate....
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:42 am

Picky, picky...guys bacon goes with anything...even maple syrup.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:29 am

Original Quill wrote:Picky, picky...guys bacon goes with anything...even maple syrup.

ESPECIALLY with that.

http://www.smokestack.net/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:47 am

Bacon is so full of crap I just don't really eat it, I don't like it enough to put that amount of crap into my body.

I'm a bit of a health freak if I'm honest.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:58 pm

I just don't get the sweet and savoury thing What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Confus13 It's amazing what people will eat for breakfast  ::D::  x

Eddie, I only like lean back bacon, the fat What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Sick10

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Dictionery wrote:
sa·vor·y
1 [sey-vuh-ree] Show IPA
adjective, sa·vor·i·er, sa·vor·i·est.
1. pleasant or agreeable in taste or smell: a savory aroma.
2. piquant: a savory jelly.
3. pleasing, attractive, or agreeable.
noun, plural sa·vor·ies.
4. British . an aromatic, often spicy course or dish served either as an appetizer or as a dessert, as pickled fish or brandied fruit.

OK, I guess I understand the issue.  In America, esp. southern, bacon is often cured with sugar.  Wonderful with syrup.

Last edited by Original Quill on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:30 pm

roll mop herrings....thats PICKLED herring

://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm

You know...in vinegar

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Henry VIII used to love eels, out of the Thames. That's what got him so fat.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Victor is evil, pure evil  What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? - Page 2 Naught12

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Not eels, a surfeit of Lampreys.So it says in the history books.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:26 pm

nicko wrote:Not eels, a surfeit of Lampreys.So it says in the history books.

Yep...you are right. I stand corrected, nicky.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Yep...you are right.  I stand corrected, nicky.

Jellied eels look rank! Wouldn't mind a steamed eel though.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:36 am

The smell of Fish 'n' Chips drifting out of the door of a chippy on the way home on a Saturday night or passing the early morning bakery at about 4.00 am making morning rolls is something special.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:31 am

Original Quill wrote:

Yep...you are right. I stand corrected, nicky.

actually he had a jousting accident in 1436 and was no longer able to exercise - there is some talk of brain injury (hence his nastiness and habit of getting rid of wives) - and he also developed hideous stinking leg ulcers so combination of that and perhaps undiagnosed medical issue such as adult onset type 2 diabetes is what led to the obesity and ultimately his death.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:05 am

My dad always said that living healthy doesn't actually make you live longer, it just makes it SEEM longer Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:03 am

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yep...you are right.  I stand corrected, nicky.

actually he had a jousting accident in 1436 and was no longer able to exercise - there is some talk of brain injury (hence his nastiness and habit of getting rid of wives) - and he also developed hideous stinking leg ulcers so combination of that and perhaps undiagnosed medical issue such as adult onset type 2 diabetes is what led to the obesity and ultimately his death.

Yes, you are right.  I've read all of those things.  No one schooled in modern medicine was on site in the 16th-century, so we only speculate as to his condition(s).  But the eels contributed, I'm sure.

BTW, I do remember the history books speaking of eels in his diet.  I looked it up...

Wiki wrote:Lampreys (sometimes also called lamprey eels) are an order of jawless fish, the adult of which is characterized by a toothed, funnel-like sucking mouth. The common name "lamprey" is probably derived from Latin lampetra, which may mean "stone licker" (lambere "to lick" + petra "stone"), though the etymology is uncertain.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:09 am

I was wondering a bit whether there was any knowledge of Type 2 diabetes in 1436 ...

Particularly knowing about this awesome Scot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hunter_(surgeon)

... who lived centuries later!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:15 am

By the way, it is 1536...not 1436.  The latter was back during the Hundred Years War.  Henry lived from 28 June 1491 to 28 January 1547.

The first jousting accident of Henry VIII was in 1524, but you are right (almost) he suffered one on 24 January 1536.

Last edited by Original Quill on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:19 am

By the way, Hunter was a good friend of Edward Jenner, who took the incredible risk of injecting his own family with live bacteria from a cow with a cowpox infection to inoculate them against smallpox. Yes, he was a mad scientist in every sense of the term who is now revered as the father of immunology, and called his procedure "vaccination" after the Latin word for cow ("vacca").

I think we should celebrate every May 17th (Jenner's birthday) by eating steak ("carne de vaca" in Spanish).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:36 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

ESPECIALLY with that.

http://www.smokestack.net/

pale 

IF there's one thing those North Americans know, it's how to ruin foods...    :aspukeas:

No, no, Bee...you haven't had the pleasure of a visit to good ol' England. The only good restaurant in London is an Indian place in Knightsbridge. Lol.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:01 am

Irn Bru wrote:The smell of Fish 'n' Chips drifting out of the door of a chippy on the way home on a Saturday night or passing the early morning bakery at about 4.00 am making morning rolls is something special.

Yes. Very very mouthwatering!  Razz 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:13 am

eddie wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:The smell of Fish 'n' Chips drifting out of the door of a chippy on the way home on a Saturday night or passing the early morning bakery at about 4.00 am making morning rolls is something special.

made me hungry.....................  you rotten lot.

Require full English now, cooked by someone else of course to appreciate the aromas.  Smokey bacon, grilled Portebello mushrooms, scrambled eggs, fried bread, luscious bangers and grilled tomtoms, almpst forgot the homemade potato cakes.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Original Quill wrote:By the way, it is 1536...not 1436.  The latter was back during the Hundred Years War.  Henry lived from 28 June 1491 to 28 January 1547.

The first jousting accident of Henry VIII was in 1524, but you are right (almost) he suffered one on 24 January 1536.

yes quill it was a typo on my kindle.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I was wondering a bit whether there was any knowledge of Type 2 diabetes in 1436 ...

Particularly knowing about this awesome Scot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hunter_(surgeon)

... who lived centuries later!

doubt it. it is speculation as the records are very scarce but he did suffer from gout and supperating ulcers (which in itself is a symptom of diabetes) so combination of that and lack of exercise and being the king and able to eat anything anytime anywhere and hey presto obeisity and early death. probably congestive heart failure too. don't forget bleedings and emetics and purging would further weaken an already comprised patient.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 pm

gerber wrote:
eddie wrote:

made me hungry.....................  you rotten lot.

Require full English now, cooked by someone else of course to appreciate the aromas.  Smokey bacon, grilled Portebello mushrooms, scrambled eggs, fried bread, luscious bangers and grilled tomtoms, almpst forgot the homemade potato cakes.

Am away to get the frying pan out.

I remember one night on the way home after getting bladered I went and bought Fish 'n' Chips and started tucking into it whist going the Cashline machine to get some more money for a taxi. It was years ago and the cashline machine in those days had a glass screen that went up to give you access to the keyboard panel when you put your card in the slot. I put my card in and up went the screen so I laid my fish supper on the side of panel and started to key in my pin number when suddenly the machine flashed 'Cashline Going Out of Service' and the screen came down and spat my card back out but my fish supper was behind the screen with just a bit of brown paper and a few chips on the outside. I was gutted and after a few seconds I couldn't see it anymore because the glass got all steamed up.

Had to go to another Cashline machine down at Haymarket to get the dosh to get home starving.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:49 pm

Bread baking, coffee brewing, the old fashioned smell of Eau de Cologne because my Nan used to wear it, fresh cut grass and herbs as you run your hand over them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:20 am

eddie wrote:I hate the smell of petrol, it actually makes my head hurt.

I have a really really strong sense of smell, and it can be a real hindrance! I can't abide people spraying perfumes, aftershaves or any aerosols near me.
They actually make me feel,sick.

Though I do love perfumes.

Hey edds, today I learned that a 2012 study showed that psychopaths tend to have bad senses of smell.

So we've got that going for us ... which is nice ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by harrymuffin Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:44 am

Fresh cut grass. Along with, bleach.
harrymuffin
harrymuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:56 am

harrymuffin wrote:Fresh cut grass. Along with, bleach.

Bleach, seriously? That one makes me feel sick! Smile

But like I referenced above, people like me and eddie smell these things really powerfully. I've switched my laundry detergent and dryer sheets recently and I notice it every time I get dressed, the perfumes are stronger than I would like ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by harrymuffin Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:04 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

But like I referenced above, people like me and eddie smell these things really powerfully. I've switched my laundry detergent and dryer sheets recently and I notice it every time I get dressed, the perfumes are stronger than I would like ...

Yes, bleach. It may seem a bit strange. I enjoy the "clean" smell of bleach.

Have you tried the unscented fabric conditioner or unscented washing powders?
harrymuffin
harrymuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:I hate the smell of petrol, it actually makes my head hurt.

I have a really really strong sense of smell, and it can be a real hindrance! I can't abide people spraying perfumes, aftershaves or any aerosols near me.
They actually make me feel,sick.

Though I do love perfumes.

Hey edds, today I learned that a 2012 study showed that psychopaths tend to have bad senses of smell.

So we've got that going for us ... which is nice ...

See? I knew we were the sane ones in this madhouse  Suspect 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:10 pm

harrymuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I have, like them a lot better. My latest supplies I had to buy in a hurry from a place that didn't offer such things, though.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:25 pm

harrymuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I think its ok in small doses. one son loves the smell of hand sanitizer.

a lot of hospital staff love the smell of anti-septic though.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Cass wrote:
harrymuffin wrote:

I think its ok in small doses. one son loves the smell of hand sanitizer.

a lot of hospital staff love the smell of anti-septic though.

I think that's the mental association. Have you read what's in hand sanitizer? Alcohol.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2