NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way?

+7
veya_victaous
Original Quill
Stephenmarra
Cass
eddie
nicko
Ben Reilly
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Empty What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way?

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:44 pm

For me it's the smell of a rose or new leather.  ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Empty Re: What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way?

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:05 pm

Philagain wrote:For me it's the smell of a rose or new leather.  ::D:: 

Old books, coffee and tea brewing, citrus and honeysuckle flowers, we have them all over fences in my part of the world and it always reminds me of home.

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Honeysuckle-on-fence
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Empty Re: What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way?

Post by nicko Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I live by a Farm, when muck spreading is going on all windows and doors are closed.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Old books, coffee and tea brewing, citrus and honeysuckle flowers, we have them all over fences in my part of the world and it always reminds me of home.

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Honeysuckle-on-fence

Freshly cut grass!  ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Rubber. I love it.
Especially certain underlay in carpet shops.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:23 pm

I guess it would be my own farts! Laughing

I love white musk for women from the body shop....Mmmm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:25 pm

The smell of the wind rushing around the trees. flower 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Joy Division wrote:I guess it would be my own farts! Laughing

That hits you in a positive way?  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Philagain wrote:

Yeah...the Musk! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:28 pm

When I was a kid I used to love the smell of gasoline (petrol), now it kind of turns my stomach. Still like the smell of new auto tires (tyres) that you might buy if you accidentally drove over the curb (kerb) or just needed an extra to put in your trunk (boot).

clown 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:When I was a kid I used to love the smell of gasoline (petrol), now it kind of turns my stomach. Still like the smell of new auto tires (tyres) that you might buy if you accidentally drove over the curb (kerb) or just needed an extra to put in your trunk (boot).

clown 

Yeah , petrol's a fairly popular one Ben, I like it and so does the missus, but we won't take up sniffing it!  Laughing 

Leather in new car Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:34 pm

I hate the smell of petrol, it actually makes my head hurt.

I have a really really strong sense of smell, and it can be a real hindrance! I can't abide people spraying perfumes, aftershaves or any aerosols near me.
They actually make me feel,sick.

Though I do love perfumes.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:When I was a kid I used to love the smell of gasoline (petrol), now it kind of turns my stomach. Still like the smell of new auto tires (tyres) that you might buy if you accidentally drove over the curb (kerb) or just needed an extra to put in your trunk (boot).

clown 

Don't redecorate your flat then, that radiator spray is lethal, that and flea spray for flats at this time of the year, i honestly thought that i was going to have a cardiac arrest the other days, that shit should come with a health warning, but the radiators are very white and we have no more fleas!  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:38 pm

....Christ on a bike, we are made to think that cannabis is really bad for you, or to intake the fumes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:39 pm

.....Just sayin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:40 pm

eddie wrote:I hate the smell of petrol, it actually makes my head hurt.

I have a really really strong sense of smell, and it can be a real hindrance! I can't abide people spraying perfumes, aftershaves or any aerosols near me.

Same here as far as the sense of smell goes. I can "spot" a smoker from across a large room; the other day one of my neighbors left her dinner cooking and accidentally locked herself out ... I could smell something burning as soon as I got close to her door, but nobody else could.

I've heard that there are military special forces who have made an art form out of that, they can smell a hidden encampment and make a pretty good guess of how many people are there!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Philagain wrote:

clown 

Don't redecorate your flat then, that radiator spray is lethal, that and flea spray for flats at this time of the year, i honestly thought that i was going to have a cardiac arrest the other days, that shit should come with a health warning, but the radiators are very white and we have no more fleas!  Razz 

Ah, mine doesn't have a radiator -- all electric, thankfully. Though that smell of burnt dust when you first turn on the heat? I don't like it yet it always makes me feel weirdly nostalgic.

Regarding cannabis, some of it smells nice and other varieties smell like a rotting animal carcass!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Philagain wrote:

Ah, mine doesn't have a radiator -- all electric, thankfully. Though that smell of burnt dust when you first turn on the heat? I don't like it yet it always makes me feel weirdly nostalgic.

Regarding cannabis, some of it smells nice and other varieties smell like a rotting animal carcass!

Does it ever get cold, that much, in Texas?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:07 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Same here as far as the sense of smell goes. I can "spot" a smoker from across a large room; the other day one of my neighbors left her dinner cooking and accidentally locked herself out ... I could smell something burning as soon as I got close to her door, but nobody else could.

I've heard that there are military special forces who have made an art form out of that, they can smell a hidden encampment and make a pretty good guess of how many people are there!

Wow! I could so be hired for that!!  bounce 

I was waking up to knock on a friends door when I was a child, and before I'd even lifted my hand to knock I could smell vomit! Her mum was upstairs in bed with the door shut but had been vomiting that morning.
Weird.

She sadly died, my friends mum (not from the vomiting) but a year or so later.
Lovely lady.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:24 am

Philagain wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Philagain wrote:

Does it ever get cold, that much, in Texas?

It depends on which part you're in -- in the south and near the coast, not so much, but here where I live in north Texas, we get occasional cold snaps throughout the winter. Nothing too bad, but sometimes a little snow, ice, week of sub-freezing lows, etc.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:28 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Wow! I could so be hired for that!!  bounce 

I was waking up to knock on a friends door when I was a child, and before I'd  even lifted my hand to knock I could smell vomit! Her mum was upstairs in bed with the door shut but had been vomiting that morning.
Weird.

She sadly died, my friends mum (not from the vomiting) but a year or so later.
Lovely lady.

Especially when you consider that the smells they're sniffing for are basically burning, cooking and body odor smells -- very distinctive and hard to miss if you have an acute sense of smell.

Sorry about your friend's mother ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:38 am

fresh bread, garlic and herbs cooking in olive oil, wood fire, Lilly of the valley, lemon, roses

as a kid in art class in elementary school we all went wild for rubber cement and magic markers. petrol too but now gives me a headache.

also visiting my grandparents in Iowa when it was time for the manure to hit the crops but the smell of freshly picked corn made up for it.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:00 am

Cass wrote:fresh bread, garlic and herbs cooking in olive oil, wood fire, Lilly of the valley, lemon, roses

as a kid in art class in elementary school we all went wild for rubber cement and magic markers. petrol too but now gives me a headache.

also visiting my grandparents in Iowa when it was time for the manure to hit the crops but the smell of freshly picked corn made up for it.

What does the smell of cookies smell like?|

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Cass wrote:fresh bread, garlic and herbs cooking in olive oil, wood fire, Lilly of the valley, lemon, roses

The smell of the sea and the salt in the air.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Philagain wrote:

depends on what kind.....usually vanilla or chocolate but oatmeal have a nice smell too because of the brown sugar.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Nems wrote:

3 years in Cyprus and growing up on long island sound cured me of that. no you may keep all the sea salt and sand to yourselves - I'm good thanks lol

but I do like to hear the ocean - very soothing xx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

3 years in Cyprus and growing up on long island sound cured me of that. no you may keep all the sea salt and sand to yourselves - I'm good thanks lol

It goes bloody everywhere doesnt it?!
I still remember my dad's car full of sand and buckets and spades.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Cass wrote:
Philagain wrote:

depends on what kind.....usually vanilla or chocolate but oatmeal have a nice smell too because of the brown sugar.

Also cinnamon muffins or ginger snaps.  I love you  I love you  I love you  I love you
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Wood smoke on a cold frosty morning, Bacon cooking, wafting through the air  whilst on a bike rally or rock concert, first thing in the morning.
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Philagain wrote:

Yes, the scent of a woman is most appealing...but I suppose that is mostly pheromones.  Jasmine is a favorite and/or anything with a lavender scent.  Wisteria in Arizona or New Mexico, but as with Cass and Cyprus, smells often bring to mind places.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Nems wrote:
Cass wrote:

Even I. Those hard to reach areas  What a Face 
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:
Cass wrote:

Also cinnamon muffins or ginger snaps.  I love you  I love you  I love you  I love you

Ohhhhhh yummy x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:10 am

a weird one
LIZARDS
I am a lizard keeper and surprising that after years I can now smell when a Lizard is about. and I like Lizards so it makes me feel happy  ::D:: 

Other than that FOOD  cheers  Yummy  Razz nom Razz nom Razz nom Razz 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 am

veya_victaous wrote:a weird one
LIZARDS
I am a lizard keeper and surprising that after years I can now smell when a Lizard is about.  and I like Lizards so it makes me feel happy  ::D:: 

Other than that FOOD  cheers   Yummy   Razz nom Razz nom Razz nom Razz 

Lizard sniffing?! I like it lol Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 am

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

Even I. Those hard to reach areas  What a Face 

Worst of all is sand on your 99  No 

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:50 am

The smell of a freshly creosoted fence,[ I think creosote has been banned now]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:08 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
eddie wrote:
Rubber. I love it.

Cass wrote:

Surprised 

"Glue sniffing" is a serious health issue in many Aboriginal communities...

I wonder if Cass and her classmates were also knocking off plastic bags to highlight those early magic markers (how about the correction fluid ?) and glue sniffing experiences..

No doubt eddie found a few more creative uses for rubber in her advancing dotage ?   bounce

Or, you could just say: That's dangerous!  Razz 

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:24 am

Ohhh...fresh baked bread. And a pot roast simmering in the slo-cooker in the late afternoon.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Bacon and coffee: both smell better than they taste though.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
eddie wrote:
Rubber. I love it.
Cass wrote:
Surprised 
"Glue sniffing" is a serious health issue in many Aboriginal communities...

I wonder if Cass and her classmates were also knocking off plastic bags to highlight those early magic markers (how about the correction fluid ?) and glue sniffing experiences..
No doubt eddie found a few more creative uses for rubber in her advancing dotage ?   bounce

well I cant speak for eds but yeah us 8 year olds were hard core users for an hour a week. no plastic bags in my day just paper so not quite as satisfying.....then our gang would go out and beat other kids viciously .......at kickball...:rolling:
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:55 pm

eddie wrote:Bacon and coffee: both smell better than they taste though.

coffee yuck but BACON????? YYOU HEATHEN......pfft
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Love honeysuckle too Ben and have an evergreen variety covering much of our fence.  It's very aggressive but the blackbirds love nesting in it so I like to leave it as far as I can.  Older varieties of roses also, beautiful What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Rose10

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:35 pm

What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Wisteria-gardens-pic

I had a wisteria arbor in the front of my house in Tucson...the house I had down by the university.  Lovely smells, tho there were other things, too.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Original Quill wrote:What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Wisteria-gardens-pic

I had a wisteria arbor in the front of my house in Tucson...the house I had down by the university.  Lovely smells, tho there were other things, too.

WOW Quill, that is gorgeous What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Love_h11 x

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:Bacon and coffee: both smell better than they taste though.

Bacon tastes a bit blah, but smells divine. It promises but doesn't deliver.
I'd rather have smoked salmon.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:14 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:

With scrambled eggs and champagne, heaven  What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Love_h12

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:25 pm

feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:

With scrambled eggs and champagne, heaven  What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Love_h12

Ooh absolutely FTL!! Though if I drank champagne at breakfast I'd be asleep by lunchtime  ::drnkpst:: 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:27 pm

eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Ooh absolutely FTL!! Though if I drank champagne at breakfast I'd be asleep by lunchtime  ::drnkpst:: 

Hey, everyone needs a nap now and then!!! What are the natural smells that really hit you in a positive way? Hic_dr11 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next