NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cancer Drug Which Could Prolong The Lives Of Terminally Ill Patients Has Started 'Positive' Trials

2 posters

Go down

Cancer Drug Which Could Prolong The Lives Of Terminally Ill Patients Has Started 'Positive' Trials Empty Cancer Drug Which Could Prolong The Lives Of Terminally Ill Patients Has Started 'Positive' Trials

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:15 am

People suffering from terminal forms of cancer such as leukaemia and lymphoma are often left with few to none treatment options.

However a new trial of a cancer drug that could prolong the lives of such patients is already receiving positive feedback.

Four patients in Plymouth, Devon, have become the first to be treated with the new class of BTK (Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase) inhibiting drugs.

The trial began in the city in 2012 and has since extended worldwide, with more than 30 patients currently receiving the treatment with "positive results".

Professor Simon Rule, a consultant haematologist, called the study "exciting" and a "transformation" in the treatment of patients with the conditions.

Prof Rule, of Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust and a researcher at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, said his patients had experienced "significant improvements".

"The astonishing thing about these drugs is that they have virtually no side effects, which is unprecedented from my experience," Prof Rule said.

"In some patients the effects are immediate. Patients with lots of symptoms, particularly those with lymphoma, will feel better the next day after taking the medication.

"The UK is at the forefront of this drug development and all of the studies into these drugs are being run from Plymouth. This will completely change the way we manage these diseases. We have access to the next generation of the drug to be part of the next trial phases.

"This is not a cure for cancer but it will mean we are significantly improving our patients' life expectancy and quality of life; similar to managing a chronic condition. I have yet to come across another class of drugs in my career that has been so successful for leukaemia or lymphoma."

The drugs work by inhibiting Bruton's tyrosine kinase (BTK), a protein which plays a role in the signals that cause growth in cancerous cells. Blocking this causes the cancerous cells to die but normal cells are unaffected.

In September 2012, David Hodge, 74, from Plymouth, became the first in the world to be treated with the new medication. He is feeling the benefits more than a year later.

Prior to the trial, Mr Hodge was told he had only several months to live, due to his immune system not functioning. He had also became resistant to all other treatment.

Prof Rule said: "To be brutal, David had no other option. He was resistant to other forms of treatments so I am just pleased to have been able to access this drug and offer it to him.

"I have done a lot of drug trials in my career; this drug and its predecessor, which I was fortunate to be the first person in Europe to use - they are transformational as far as I am concerned.

"Normally what you expect with trials like this is that you treat a patient for a period of time and often what happens is the drug doesn't work; the side effects make you stop the trial or the disease doesn't respond for very long.

"What is very exciting about this drug is the effects are continuing and there are no emerging side effects."

Prof Rule is now planning to run a UK study in Plymouth using the latest BTK drug in a trial against standard chemotherapy.

Mr Hodge, who has had CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukaemia) for the past 17 years, said he had not experienced any side effects from the new drug.

"It's just like, well it's better than taking paracetamol," he said. "I take the medication first thing in the morning at six o'clock and then go back to bed for an hour. Afterwards I get up and get on with my day; I'm fighting fit. I've had no problems, no side effects, nothing."

Mr Hodge plans to continue with the trial.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/20/cancer-drug-trial-terminal-leukaemia_n_4998721.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Cancer Drug Which Could Prolong The Lives Of Terminally Ill Patients Has Started 'Positive' Trials Empty Re: Cancer Drug Which Could Prolong The Lives Of Terminally Ill Patients Has Started 'Positive' Trials

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:34 pm

I've been reading about it Didge on the leukaemia forum. It certainly seems very exciting. It is being trialed on those with a 17q deletion, which is the most aggressive form of CLL, but once the trial is over, who knows!

Back to top Go down

Cancer Drug Which Could Prolong The Lives Of Terminally Ill Patients Has Started 'Positive' Trials Empty Re: Cancer Drug Which Could Prolong The Lives Of Terminally Ill Patients Has Started 'Positive' Trials

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Sassy wrote:I've been reading about it Didge on the leukaemia forum.   It certainly seems very exciting.   It is being trialed on those with a 17q deletion, which is the most aggressive form of CLL, but once the trial is over, who knows!

To be honest Sassy I was not aware and so far so good, even better there seems to little or no side affects

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Well all the pointers at the moment are extremely positive, which can't be bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
I'm sure one day, cancer will get it's arse kicked for good and it'll a disease of medical history.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Ow, my tongue is starting to really hurt ...  Wink 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:01 pm

lol! lol! lol! 

It's all that syrup you've been fed!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Ow, my tongue is starting to really hurt ...  Wink 

Don't get it????  Suspect 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:15 pm

Think Ben is referring to the alternative remedies thread Eds. I was referring to another thread where he was drown in sweetness and light and smilies lol My Nan used to say, you have too much sugar your tongue hurts, so it was kind of a combination of two things, neither relevant to the other, so I'm not surprised you don't get it!  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 pm

I just wonder how any new cancer drug can crack through the medical-industry/chemotherapy complex which is determined to make loads of money by killing people am just very happy to hear about this new breakthrough ...  ::D:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Sassy wrote:Think Ben is referring to the alternative remedies thread Eds.   I was referring to another thread where he was drown in sweetness and light and smilies lol   My Nan used to say, you have too much sugar your tongue hurts, so it was kind of a combination of two things, neither relevant to the other, so I'm not surprised you don't get it!  Wink 

Ah. I thought he was trying to imply I was licking arse.
Don't think I've ever been accused of that one!

I've heard of the too much sugar on your tongue hurts....except when it's chocolate  Razz 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 pm

eddie wrote:
Sassy wrote:Think Ben is referring to the alternative remedies thread Eds.   I was referring to another thread where he was drown in sweetness and light and smilies lol   My Nan used to say, you have too much sugar your tongue hurts, so it was kind of a combination of two things, neither relevant to the other, so I'm not surprised you don't get it!  Wink 

I've heard of the too much sugar on your tongue hurts....except when it's chocolate  Razz 

Well, you could always try covering his arse in chocolate, I'm sure he wouldn't object!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

Well, you could always try covering his arse in chocolate, I'm sure he wouldn't object!

Mmmmmmmmm......

Waste of good chocolate though  Evil or Very Mad 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:31 pm

eddie wrote:
Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

Mmmmmmmmm......

Waste of a LOT of chocolate  ::D:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:31 pm

eddie wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Mmmmmmmmm......

Ben might not think so!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:38 pm

You may get the chocolate mixed up with something else on the arse  No 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 pm

eddie wrote:You may get the chocolate mixed up with something else on the arse  No 

Definitely NOT a good idea  pale 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down