NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you no longer live in a country, should you lose the right to vote?

5 posters

Go down

If you no longer live in a country, should you lose the right to vote? Empty If you no longer live in a country, should you lose the right to vote?

Post by inmyopinion Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:09 pm

should a limit be set say over a year, after that you cannot vote or should it be linked to where you pay your due tax?
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

If you no longer live in a country, should you lose the right to vote? Empty Re: If you no longer live in a country, should you lose the right to vote?

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:10 pm

inmyopinion wrote:should a limit be set say over a year, after that you cannot vote or should it be linked to where you pay your due tax?

If you should lose the right to vote in your country of origin after living away from it for a year, you should also lose any obligation to pay taxes, and you should no longer be subject to that country's laws.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

If you no longer live in a country, should you lose the right to vote? Empty Re: If you no longer live in a country, should you lose the right to vote?

Post by inmyopinion Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:should a limit be set say over a year, after that you cannot vote or should it be linked to where you pay your due tax?

If you should lose the right to vote in your country of origin after living away from it for a year, you should also lose any obligation to pay taxes, and you should no longer be subject to that country's laws.

yep that seems fair, you pay tax in the country you live in and keep their laws.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:29 pm

I think a 5 year period would be OK.
I also think you should lose the right to NHS services, benefits, etc.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

inmyopinion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Yeah, a year seems pretty fair. The US is real clingy when it comes to collecting taxes earned by citizens overseas. Its gets very complicated for expats and some simply renounce their citizenship, as painful as that is.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Syl wrote:I think a 5 year period would be OK.
I also think you should lose the right to NHS services, benefits, etc.

I agree with that.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:35 pm

I think as long as you're a legal citizen of a country, it shouldn't matter whether you live there or not. Particularly in the case of the U.S., where some people have made the interesting argument that since the U.S. influences so much of what happens in other countries, everyone in the world should get to vote in U.S. elections.

"No invasion without representation! No environmental degradation without representation! No corporate predation without representation!"
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I think as long as you're a legal citizen of a country, it shouldn't matter whether you live there or not. Particularly in the case of the U.S., where some people have made the interesting argument that since the U.S. influences so much of what happens in other countries, everyone in the world should get to vote in U.S. elections.

"No invasion without representation! No environmental degradation without representation! No corporate predation without representation!"

Maybe we can vote in China soon. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:47 pm

Good point! With as much influence as China has over our lives, fairness demands we should have more influence over China.

I mean, the beloved free market hasn't even provided me with a means of effectively boycotting China. They don't make electronics in practically any other country, after all.

It's almost as if an unregulated marketplace produces not a multitude of choices, but rather a bunch of monopolies. I'm certain I've got that wrong, though Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:55 pm

If you haven’t lived in your place of birth for five years - and you don’t plan on returning apart from visits - then you shouldn’t be allowed to vote. Absolutely not.

If you don’t live somewhere you should have no voice.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:00 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Good point! With as much influence as China has over our lives, fairness demands we should have more influence over China.

I mean, the beloved free market hasn't even provided me with a means of effectively boycotting China. They don't make electronics in practically any other country, after all.

It's almost as if an unregulated marketplace produces not a multitude of choices, but rather a bunch of monopolies. I'm certain I've got that wrong, though Wink

Are you saying China has free markets and isn't regulated?

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:Good point! With as much influence as China has over our lives, fairness demands we should have more influence over China.

Are you saying China has free markets and isn't regulated?

Are you saying the global consumer goods market is free and unregulated?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:13 pm

eddie wrote:If you haven’t lived in your place of birth for five years - and you don’t plan on returning apart from visits - then you shouldn’t be allowed to vote. Absolutely not.

If you don’t live somewhere you should have no voice.

I'd say that only if:

* You're no longer subject to taxation and laws from the country of your birth. If you can be taxed and arrested by the country of your birth, you absolutely should have the right to vote, no matter where you are.

* Your country's policies only affect you when you're in that country. As a potential future American-British citizen, I will feel an obligation to influence my country of birth with my vote, since the country of my birth affects the entire world, profoundly.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down