NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How a Sense of Purpose Can Help You Live Longer

5 posters

Go down

How a Sense of Purpose Can Help You Live Longer Empty How a Sense of Purpose Can Help You Live Longer

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Can having a sense of purpose in life help people live longer?

According to one definition, a sense of purpose is characterized as "having goals in life and a sense of directedness; feeling there is meaning to present and
past life; holding beliefs that give life purpose; having aims and objectives for living.” In other words, recognizing what you want out of life and having a plan to achieve it. While this is an important part of emotional well-being at any point in our lives, a new research study published in the journal Development Psychology (link is external) demonstrates that having a purpose in life is especially important in successful aging.

Conducted by a team of researchers at Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia, the study examined older adults who were part of the Australian Longitudinal Study of Aging (link is external) (ALSA). Started in 1992, ALSA has followed over two thousand older Australians for decades to examine how health, emotional well-being, and living conditions have changed over time and to identify factors involved in successful aging.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/media-spotlight/201507/how-sense-purpose-can-help-you-live-longer

Back to top Go down

How a Sense of Purpose Can Help You Live Longer Empty Re: How a Sense of Purpose Can Help You Live Longer

Post by eddie Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Live for today.
Best advice to give anyone IMO

Most people live too much in the past or the future and both those times have either gone or may not happen.

There is no way to push the river.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

How a Sense of Purpose Can Help You Live Longer Empty Re: How a Sense of Purpose Can Help You Live Longer

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:17 pm

I agree Eddie as I live for the moment and seize it everyday, not fearing death will come later to me as I accept I am mortal. I love life.

Its still important to think at times for the future of those we leave behind and ensure their future is secure. Its important to do this as that then brings peace of mind. That problem is solved. You are then able to live everyday and embrace it.

Good points Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:47 pm

Embrace the past, think fondly of the good times and let the bad things make you stronger.

Look to the future, dream, have ambitions, have goals.

But of course ensure the present is where you give most of your attention- I actually think a lot about all of these, but then I like thinking, even if too much is meant to be 'bad for you'.

I do however agree with the OP, having some 'goal' however big or small, does give you drive. Just don't get too carried away with that one thing.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:25 pm

When you stop dreaming it's time to die...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn1WbBaWTdc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw1Fm61HBA8

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:30 pm

"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live..."

I love that sentence. Everyone should have something /someone they'd die for :-)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:32 pm

Good song lyrics les, two top bands... well worth checking out... 'Blind melon' and 'Queens of the stoneage'!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:01 pm

Have started a music thread in misc if anyone is interested...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:23 am

You "young un's" have plenty to live for, I spend my days in pain never ending. Hopefully not for much longer.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:06 pm

nicko wrote:You "young un's"       have plenty to live for,  I spend my days in pain never ending. Hopefully not for much longer.

Im sorry Nicko.
Being in pain is the worst thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:10 pm

Yes, sorry to hear that nicko.

Chin up old boy!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:36 pm

nicko wrote:You "young un's"       have plenty to live for,  I spend my days in pain never ending. Hopefully not for much longer.

Nicko dint dismiss me.... Have you looked into Bowem Therapy?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi edds, will have a look later, thanks.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Not so good Nicko but treatments are improving all the time so fingers crossed there's one for you.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:56 pm

So sorry to hear that Nicko, pain wears you down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down