NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Public transport, do you use it?

+6
eddie
Maddog
magica
'Wolfie
gelico
Syl
10 posters

Go down

Public transport, do you use it? Empty Public transport, do you use it?

Post by Syl Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:12 pm

I dont use it much, but the greater Manchester area now has an ever expanding tram system and it is very reliable, quick and efficient.

Anyway today I did use it to get somewhere, because it's a lot quicker than taking the car.....what an eventful day.

On the way there a man with a walking stick stood up to get off at the next stop, suddenly he lost his balance, sort of swung round the pole, crashed to the floor, banged his head and was out for the count.
After alerting the driver, (a young woman who was obviously flustered) I called for an ambulance, and after giving a million details was told an ambulance was being dispatched as an emergency.
20 minutes later it still hadn't arrived, by now the man was conscious and the bleeding on his head had stopped and he was arguing he wanted to go home.
It took some persuading to stop him leaving, the fact he went dizzy when he got up helped though.

The journey home wasn't much better.....we were packed in like sardines, I did get a seat...some ignorant spotty youth in a suit who thought he was a city whiz kid, shouting into his mobile all the time, sprawled across two seats, denying even a pregnant woman the chance to sit.
I bit my tongue so hard, but as I was three rows back, and other people were stood all around him, I didn't think it was my place to shout over everyone for him to move over and let the pregnant girl sit.

I am annoyed with myself now though. Mad

Public transport....I might give it a miss from now on.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Public transport, do you use it? Empty Re: Public transport, do you use it?

Post by gelico Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:38 pm

lol, eventful day indeed, syl

i use public transport all the time

but i won't put up with selfish fuckers taking up two seats

honestly the amount of times i've had to say excuse me in a loud voice while still smiling but nodding at someones bag implying they need to move it

mostly it's simply because they haven't realised but occasionally you get the odd huffer and puffer that doesnt like to be disturbed

tough tits say I

hope that old boy that spun around and stacked it was ok though

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Ignorant gets taking up two seats when people are standing. I remember from the days i used to get the bus all the time, the way women shoppers would plonk their bags down on the seat next to them and then stare fixedly out of the window as the bus filled up.....it was like a bloody power game to them, probably the most excitement they had that day. Rolling Eyes

The man was  OK, but it was scary when he knocked himself out, it's awful to see someone hurt themselves, but I 'm sure there was no long term damage.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:44 am

Public transport, do you use it? 3356277174

"If needs must..".

Local public transport around here is worse than useless --  rarely going where you want to go, or when you need it..

However,  sometimes I have found it more convenient to go bus -  train - bus when making occasional trips down to Sydney.

Parking's a real bitch down there, while their inner-city public transport is miles ahead of out here in the regional areas..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Trams were reintroduced in Greater Manchester over 2 decades ago now, I hate buses, but the tram or metrolink system is a lot more efficient, cleaner, and apart from the odd anti social twerp who uses them, they are a good way to travel IF it's inconvenient to get somewhere by car .

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:34 pm

I do at times. I use a stick for walking and no one ever gets up from the disabled seats, to whom they are allocated for, for me to sit down, or for anyone who is worse. Bad really.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:48 pm

magica wrote:I do at times.  I use a stick for walking and no one ever gets up from the disabled seats, to whom they are allocated for, for me to sit down, or for anyone who is worse.  Bad really.

Bad, it's bloody disgusting Mags.
I would never take a seat near the front of a bus or tram designated for old people (even though I am one myself Razz ) but if I did and someone more needy got on I would move.. it's just respect for other people, something sadly lacking nowadays unfortunately.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:34 pm

I ride the train once every blue moon. I use it to go to Dallas and do some bike rides they have over there. But the last two times I've tried to use it I've spent $24 and never made it on the train. The first time was my fault because I was about three minutes late. The second time a homeless person in Dallas decided to take on the train, and as you might suspect he lost. That delayed the train well over an hour and I got tired of waiting.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Maddog wrote:I ride the train once every blue moon. I use it to go to Dallas and do some bike rides they have over there. But the last two times I've tried to use it I've spent $24 and never made it on the train. The first time was my fault because I was about three minutes late. The second time a homeless person in Dallas decided to take on the train, and as you might suspect he lost. That delayed the train well over an hour and I got tired of waiting.

That's sad....and horrible for the driver and people who had to witness it too.
Yesterday the man who fell on the tram delayed the service for almost half an hour.....so I suppose an hours wait for a fatality (I presume the man died) is pretty efficient really.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:I ride the train once every blue moon. I use it to go to Dallas and do some bike rides they have over there. But the last two times I've tried to use it I've spent $24 and never made it on the train. The first time was my fault because I was about three minutes late. The second time a homeless person in Dallas decided to take on the train, and as you might suspect he lost. That delayed the train well over an hour and I got tired of waiting.

That's sad....and horrible for the driver and people who had to witness it too.
Yesterday the man who fell on the tram delayed the service for almost half an hour.....so I suppose an hours wait for a fatality (I presume the man died) is pretty efficient really.

Yeah, I know someone who used to be an engineer. They say it's pretty traumatic to watch the train you're operating kill someone and there's nothing you can do about it.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 pm

I use public transport because I don’t drive (I was learning but hated the fact I had to concentrate so much). It’s usually the best way to get about in cities like London.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 pm

eddie wrote:I use public transport because I don’t drive (I was learning but hated the fact I had to concentrate so much). It’s usually the best way to get about in cities like London.

I drive and rarely concentrate. Works OK for me. Suspect
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 pm

I dont drive at all now I get driven.
I would much rather be a passenger than the driver.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:22 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:I use public transport because I don’t drive (I was learning but hated the fact I had to concentrate so much). It’s usually the best way to get about in cities like London.

I tend to drive toward the thing I’m looking at...like a shop window....and then I’d probably crash.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:35 am

Maddog wrote:

With the exception of 35W north of Fort Worth and the LBJ Freeway pretty much anywhere, we North Texans can get away with that.

Whereas in England, what I see is drivers who seem to have an innate radar for another car surging toward them down a narrow, winding street lined with cars that have parked halfway up the sidewalk ("pavement") in order to avoid dings.

Seriously, it's an impressive skill. Plus, they drive on the wrong side of the road.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:11 am

I use public transport, only when I really have to...

It's a bit too 'public' for me...!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:19 am

Not viable where I am and we are lucky to be a 3 car/truck family but in big cities in all countries that we visit, I most certainly do. It’s cheaper than parking and fun and most systems are easy to figure out.

I seriously miss hearing mind the gap.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:36 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

With the exception of 35W north of Fort Worth and the LBJ Freeway pretty much anywhere, we North Texans can get away with that.

Whereas in England, what I see is drivers who seem to have an innate radar for another car surging toward them down a narrow, winding street lined with cars that have parked halfway up the sidewalk ("pavement") in order to avoid dings.

Seriously, it's an impressive skill. Plus, they drive on the wrong side of the road.

I think you make a good point actually. British drivers learn to drive well because of narrow streets, country roads and really, because our roads are smaller. In Texas y’all have so much space that you would probably lack the skills of being able to drive our little roads, especially in the smaller towns like ours.

Plus you, have given me whiplash several times from your “Fuck! We need to go that way!” driving and the sudden turn of the wheel....
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:46 pm

I find drivers are worse now than ever.
The one good thing about not now driving (well being driven) back and forth to Wales on the motorways every week is we dont se as many brain dead drivers who seem on a mission to kill themselves and anyone else who gets in their way. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:51 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I think you make a good point actually. British drivers learn to drive well because of narrow streets, country roads and really, because our roads are smaller. In Texas y’all have so much space that you would probably lack the skills of being able to drive our little roads, especially in the smaller towns like ours.  

Plus you, have given me whiplash several times from your “Fuck! We need to go that way!” driving and the sudden turn of the wheel....

Ah, you're just a baby. Suck it up!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:10 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I agree about British Drivers. Over here I think people rely too much on most cars being automatic, having cruise control on and the illusion of space that goes on forever (I’m looking at you West Texas) that people lose concentration easily. And then the use of cell phones, trying to eat a supersizes fast food meal and drive at the same time is not a skill most people possess. I love my little zippy Hyundai because it reminds me of driving smaller cars in the UK but driving on the highway as we are currently doing, makes me feel safer in Mr. C’s hunk of a Dodge Ram truck. Especially next to the huge 18 wheelers.

Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:22 pm

I hate people using phones whilst driving! It’s so bloody inconsiderate!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:00 am

eddie wrote:I hate people using phones whilst driving! It’s so bloody inconsiderate!
and dangerous. I wish we had a ban like the UK. I know far too many people here who have been ran into because of distracted drivers on their phones.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:52 am

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

I agree about British Drivers. Over here I think people rely too much on most cars being automatic, having cruise control on and the illusion of space that goes on forever (I’m looking at you West Texas) that people lose concentration easily. And then the use of cell phones, trying to eat a supersizes fast food meal and drive at the same time is not a skill most people possess. I love my little zippy Hyundai because it reminds me of driving smaller cars in the UK but driving on the highway as we are currently doing, makes me feel safer in Mr. C’s hunk of a Dodge Ram truck. Especially next to the huge 18 wheelers.

Ooh, I have a little Hyundai too and I love it. It is automatic though. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Am I the only one who has noticed the standard of driving in the UK has gone down so much over the last few years?
I know every year there are more and more cars on the roads, but that doesn't explain the careless and often dangerous driving by so many motorists.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:34 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

Our roads are wider, but so are our vehicles.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Syl wrote:Am I the only one who has noticed the standard of driving in the UK has gone down so much over the last few years?
I know every year there are more and more cars on the roads, but that doesn't explain the careless and often dangerous driving by so many motorists.

You're just getting old.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:38 pm

For the record, I managed to make it on the train with my bike yesterday, and do a taco ride over in Dallas. So I have lowered my cost per trip for the last couple of months to $18 per trip.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:Am I the only one who has noticed the standard of driving in the UK has gone down so much over the last few years?

You're just getting old.  

Not that old that I cant recognise careless driving when I see it. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You're just getting old.  

You have always been able to recognize it.

It just didn't always bother you. tongue
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:49 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Maybe.....I think we do get more irritated by stupidity as we get older.
Either that or there are just more stupid people around now. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I'm actually much better now.

My dad was the same way. As we aged less things bothered us.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:01 am

Some things...probably the important things bother me less, if I cant change something what's the point of fretting about it ?
Stupid ignorant people do irritate me though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:25 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cass wrote:

Ooh, I have a little Hyundai too and I love it. It is automatic though. Laughing

They’re great! Our first one and we got a good 2nd hand one for junior as well when his Jeep died. Looking at getting a Tucson or Santa Fe next year. Very economical and super gas mileage.

I’m sure you’re a great driver Rags. I must admit I do miss driving a manual a little bit. When we were over last November we saw more and more rental companies hiring out autimaticst. They used to be so rare, like Unicorns Laughing
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:15 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Nah I agree with you. Some people are just stupid drivers.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down