NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Fred Moletrousers
'Wolfie
Original Quill
Eilzel
veya_victaous
HoratioTarr
eddie
Andy
Tommy Monk
Syl
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

I wanted to say that I love Eddies avi of her and her friend, I know its the friend who is terminally ill, and its such a loving photo. It really touched me when I saw it last night.

Why do you pick your avi? does it say something about you or is it just a pretty photo, and do you change it or leave the same one up year in year out?

My present one is of a witch....no comments please. Evil or Very Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Avatars - Page 2 Empty Re: Avatars

Post by Syl Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:21 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:I am selling my kayaks today, its a very sad day for me.
And yes this is on topic..... snobby

Th ones that you fell out of? Razz

Do you mind, I have been washed out of it once in 5 years.....OH comes off average 3 times a week.
I am well good at staying on.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:27 pm

Original Quill wrote:

I remember when I sold my kayak.  It was a whitewater boat (Perception xt), but I had moved from Arizona to the coast.  I used to do rapids on the Salt River, Rio Grande in New Mexico, and the Colorado.

I tried an ocean kayaking, but it's not the same sport.  With a rudder and keel, it's kinda like sightseeing and sunning yourself.  And now with open kayaks, it's like paddle boating.

I have never tried in rivers Quill......I would love to have a go at white water kayaking.
We take ours in the sea because its right there......but it is the Irish sea, so it can be pretty rough sometimes.....not much chance to sightsee or sunbathe.

I will miss them though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Avatars - Page 2 Th?id=OIP.T7YHD8XMEM6DqE9zjo--WgHaFj&pid=15

Not exactly a Sunday drive in the Park. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:36 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

Th ones that you fell out of? Razz

Do you mind, I have been washed out of it once in 5 years.....OH comes off average 3 times a week.

Poor Mr Syl.
You should let him win at scrabble occasionally you know. No
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:45 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Poor Mr Syl.
You should let him win at scrabble occasionally you know.  No

Nah, he wouldn't appreciate a pity win. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Original Quill wrote:Avatars - Page 2 Th?id=OIP.T7YHD8XMEM6DqE9zjo--WgHaFj&pid=15

That looks absolutely brilliant.....though even in the sea without the rapids the waves can be pretty hair raising. What a Face
I dont like the sit in kayaks Quill.....mine was sit on, the drawback is you can be tipped off if a big wave gets you, but I (apart from once) always managed to clench everything I have and stay put.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Avatars - Page 2 Th?id=OIP.T7YHD8XMEM6DqE9zjo--WgHaFj&pid=15

That looks absolutely brilliant.....though even in the sea without the rapids the waves can be pretty hair raising. What a Face
I dont like the sit in kayaks  Quill.....mine was sit on, the drawback is you can be tipped off if a big wave gets you, but I (apart from once) always managed to clench everything I have and stay put.

A whitewater boat is more like an article of clothing than a mode of transportation. Like skis, you wear a whitewater kayak. Thus you have to be secure as you sit within it. Using your paddle, you turn and twist a lot like you turn on skis, planting poles and lifting/adjusting your base (butt). I found that Ocean Kayaking, with a rudder and keel, wasn't the same sport at all.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

I dont like the sit in kayaks  Quill.....mine was sit on, the drawback is you can be tipped off if a big wave gets you, but I (apart from once) always managed to clench everything I have and stay put.

A whitewater boat is more like an article of clothing than a mode of transportation.  Like skis, you wear a whitewater kayak.  Thus you have to be secure as you sit within it.  Using your paddle, you turn and twist a lot like you turn on skis, planting poles and lifting/adjusting your base (butt).  I found that Ocean Kayaking, with a rudder and keel, wasn't the same sport at all.

I have seen the whitewater kayaking Quill, it does look amazing, the sit in (where like you say you sort of wear your kayak) can tip you upside down....thats the bit I would hate, hence the sit on ones I had.

I didn't use mine for sport, certainly never competed with anyone (apart from with OH) Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:53 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

A whitewater boat is more like an article of clothing than a mode of transportation.  Like skis, you wear a whitewater kayak.  Thus you have to be secure as you sit within it.  Using your paddle, you turn and twist a lot like you turn on skis, planting poles and lifting/adjusting your base (butt).  I found that Ocean Kayaking, with a rudder and keel, wasn't the same sport at all.

I have seen the whitewater kayaking Quill, it does look amazing, the sit in (where like you say you sort of wear your kayak) can tip you upside down....thats the bit I would hate, hence the sit on ones I had.

I didn't use mine for sport, certainly never competed with anyone (apart from with OH) Razz

One of the hardest things to learn was the Eskimo-roll: to right oneself after going 180° underwater. Many practices in the swimming pool. It was my daughter who got the knack of it, and then taught me. You have to envision yourself upside-down, and reaching up, slapping the surface with the paddle, to right yourself. Once you get the hang of it, it comes naturally.

The real danger is getting yourself, an arm or your helmet, wedged underwater between rocks. You don't have a lot of time to figure out the logistics. Lol. As with anything athletic, you're continually sucking air, and suddenly you find yourself sucking water. Most deaths occur that way.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:55 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

One of the hardest things to learn was the Eskimo-roll: to right oneself after going 180° underwater.  Many practices in the swimming pool.  It was my daughter who got the knack of it, and then taught me.  You have to envision yourself upside-down, and reaching up, slapping the surface with the paddle, to right yourself.  Once you get the hang of it, it comes naturally.

The real danger is getting yourself, an arm or your helmet, wedged underwater between rocks.  You don't have a lot of time to figure out the logistics.  Lol.  As with anything athletic, you're continually sucking air, and suddenly you find yourself sucking water.  Most deaths occur that way.

And that is why I bought the sit on rather than the sit in. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Understood!

lol!

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:01 am

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Arrow

I've got one of these down here :

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=seabird+discovery+kayak&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwighsb_v5TdAhVZA4gKHYE1DdcQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=768#imgdii=aDwB1XBFW2ZDyM:&imgrc=StBVf0tUAc5UNM:

A four metre long expedition style sit-in kayak, moulded plastic body..

Manufacturer's website :      http://seabirddesigns.com/kayaks/discovery

Suitable for some open water cruising, but the manufacturer recommends that you stay 'within 2 kilometres' of the shore (persoonally, I've never taken it out on the ocean..).

They have a couple of longer models available, for more serious multi-day trips..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:48 pm

The Seabird can be an open or closed boat (they make both): 

True Kayaking requires a closed boat (bottom) with a neoprene skirt sealing off the inside, because you are as much underwater as above.  Again, you don't ride a kayak, you wear it.

The skirt fits snugly around your waist, and at the other end, fits tightly over a lip at the opening of the boat.  Open boats are really different kinds of canoes, not kayaks.  No doubt they are wonderful boats in their own right, but a kayak must be enclosed.  Even ocean kayaks lose their maneuverability owing to the keel and rudder.  Once a boat can independently track in water, it is no longer a part of your hips.

Last edited by Original Quill on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:09 pm

The only one I'v been in was a collapsible canvas thingy, launched on Lake Bali in a storm. Sargent Instructor said "piece of cake". Paddled about 10 yards and it sank in 2ft of water. My mate and I sat there with the water around our shoulders pissing our selves laughing while the Instructor danced up and down on the bank shouting "your an absolute shower " come back here. Memories !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:15 pm

nicko wrote:The only one I'v been in was a collapsible canvas  thingy, launched on Lake Bali in a storm. Sargent Instructor said "piece of cake".    Paddled about 10 yards and it sank in 2ft of water. My mate and I sat there with the water around our shoulders   pissing our selves laughing while the Instructor danced up and down on the bank shouting "your an absolute shower " come back here.    Memories  !

Laughing Laughing Haha...you forgot to put on the spray skirt.  Remember?  "[B]ecause you are as much underwater as above."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Idea

I've never been out in the surf in a kayak, but only on a surfboard and a boogie board..

You don't usually need a spray skirt on the local creeks around here, and would only need one on the 'Lake or on the Hunter River when the weather blows things up a bit..

And with the kayak I have being plastic with a foam interior, it can still stay floating when full of water.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:10 pm

nicko wrote:The only one I'v been in was a collapsible canvas  thingy, launched on Lake Bali in a storm. Sargent Instructor said "piece of cake".    Paddled about 10 yards and it sank in 2ft of water. My mate and I sat there with the water around our shoulders   pissing our selves laughing while the Instructor danced up and down on the bank shouting "your an absolute shower " come back here.    Memories  !

I can just imagine that happening Nicko. Laughing
Those collapsible kayaks are not very reliable when the water is a bit rough. We had a dinghy like that, it collapsed round our shoulders....we rowed in looking like it was eating us.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:55 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Idea

I've never been out in the surf in a kayak, but only on a surfboard and a boogie board..

You don't usually need a spray skirt on the local creeks around here, and would only need one on the 'Lake or on the Hunter River when the weather blows things up a bit..

And with the kayak I have being plastic with a foam interior, it can still stay floating when full of water.  

Floating the boat isn't a problem.  Most modern boats are made of buoyant materials, including canoes.  The problem is keeping water from dragging you down (and under).  Even if the boat floats, you don't, as nicko found out  Laughing  .  You want to stay light and bobbing on the surface for performance sake.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Nicko and mate, kayaking. Avatars - Page 2 3489511464

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 pm

Original Quill wrote:Avatars - Page 2 Hqdefault

Nicko and mate, kayaking.  Avatars - Page 2 3489511464
lol!

Mine often filled with water if the waves were rough, but it soon drained out as soon as we got past the breaking waves.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:02 am

That Photo is EXACLY what happened !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down