NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boy put in 'padded cell' in school to calm down.

+4
Bella
Victorismyhero
Major
Syl
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boy put in 'padded cell' in school to calm down. Empty Boy put in 'padded cell' in school to calm down.

Post by Syl Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Is the school right or wrong to place a child alone in a room like this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mums-fury-after-school-puts-9621989

"A mother was left furious after her seven-year-old son was held in a padded room for being naughty at school .
Lewis Jones’ family claim he was taken into the windowless room after he climbed on a table.
Once inside a teacher is alleged to have jammed a foot against the door to prevent the schoolboy - who suffers from a heart condition - getting out.
Lewis’ mother, Charlene, lodged an official complaint over the “cell-like” room where she claims her son was held for 10 minutes.
Before the incident on December 14 she says she was unaware of the seclusion room.
Charlene has now met with school chiefs who have agreed they won’t use the room again if he misbehaves."

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Boy put in 'padded cell' in school to calm down. Empty Re: Boy put in 'padded cell' in school to calm down.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Wrong on every level.

Interestingly I posted a similar story in the US, with Judge Judy on the same thing.

Here is the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo2Su7CBzOw

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Boy put in 'padded cell' in school to calm down. Empty Re: Boy put in 'padded cell' in school to calm down.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Major wrote:I do not think we have a full story here.

Some of these kidz can be a right nuisance.

Teachers need to do something but each case should be judged on its merits

We used to get a slap on the back of the head until we were 14 then they were frit to touch 4 of us. lol

Irrelevant

If he has behavioral problems, does not mean you can lock them into an area and be left unsupervised

So no this should not be judged on its merit

Its unsafe and wrong, full stop

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Thorin wrote:Wrong on every level.

Interestingly I posted a similar story in the US, with Judge Judy on the same thing.

Here is the clip

Wow...Thanks for that.
That is so extreme, makes the case in todays paper seem trivial in comparison.
But even if a child is locked in for 10 minutes or for several hours, like you say ...it's WRONG on every level.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Major wrote:I do not think we have a full story here.

Some of these kidz can be a right nuisance.

Teachers need to do something but each case should be judged on its merits

We used to get a slap on the back of the head until we were 14 then they were frit to touch 4 of us. lol

There is no doubt some kids can be a nightmare, and if a seven year old is playing up in class he definitely should be taken out. But to lock him in a small room alone, specially a child that's upset and has a health condition, is the wrong thing to do Major.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:Wrong on every level.

Here is the clip

Wow...Thanks for that.
That is so extreme, makes the case in todays paper seem trivial in comparison.
But even if a child is locked in for 10 minutes or for several hours, like you say ...it's WRONG on every level.

Its a copout by the teachers, where they actually do not want to tackle the behaviour problem Sly.

Its trying to push the problem to one side and not actually deal with the behavioural problems itself

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:17 pm

I also don't believe that two qualified members of staff supervised at all times...schools generally don't have 2 spare staff to supervise one child.

If I was the parent I would be looking round for a different school.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:17 pm

absolutely wrong, ESPECIALLY where the kid has a health problem that could be made worse by stress or panic......(and ALL heart conditions come into that group)...I'd want that teachers head on a plate (or at least his dismissal notice)
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Major wrote:
Syl wrote:

There is no doubt some kids can be a nightmare, and if a seven year old is playing up in class he definitely should be taken out. But to lock him in a small room alone, specially a child that's upset and has a health condition, is the wrong thing to do Major.

Did he actually get locked in a room on his own??? Syl

Duz he really have a health condition or is this mother pulling a fast one?

We mollycoddle kidz too much and they turn out to be snowflakes, they need hardening to face the world today.

Before the trolls start spose I better say "I do not want him harmed" littul bleeda. lol.

IF IF IF he was in a locked room for 10 minutes twill not hurt him.

At 8 I was sweeping the yard, washing cups and tidying up for my old man and loving it., sometimes before he took me to school.

1) The school have such a policy, read the article

2) Are you kidding me? This can be easily checked and the school would have knowledge of his condition

3) Anything can happen to a kid if left alone, even in a padded cell even without a heart condition.

The use of seclusion rooms are deemed by critics to be a breach of Article 5 of the Human Rights Act, the right to liberty and security.
Department of Health guidance from 2014 states that seclusion should not be used as either a treatment or a punishment.

4) But you yourself have never been locked in a cupboard at school, which renders your view pointless.

5) Again it does not help solve anything, but is a copout system on how to cope and not deal with bahavioural problems

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Major wrote:
Syl wrote:

Did he actually get locked in a room on his own??? Syl

Duz he really have a health condition or is this mother pulling a fast one?

We mollycoddle kidz too much and they turn out to be snowflakes, they need hardening to face the world today.

Before the trolls start spose I better say "I do not want him harmed" littul bleeda. lol.

IF IF IF he was in a locked room for 10 minutes twill not hurt him.

At 8 I was sweeping the yard, washing cups and tidying up for my old man and loving it., sometimes before he took me to school.

The report says...".Once inside a teacher is alleged to have jammed a foot against the door to prevent the schoolboy - who suffers from a heart condition - getting out."

“It’s a padded room for when children lash out. They told me he was in there for ten minutes but you don’t know.”
Staff at Aldermoor Farm Primary School, Coventry, are said to have told Charlene was put in the room for “his own safety”.
Charlene claims he was only released when his grandmother, Pat Gardener, came to collect him.
She allegedly found him wearing no shoes or socks, no t-shirt, bright red and kicking at the door to get out as a teacher held it shut.
Lewis, who suffers from aortic stenosis which means he has restricted blood flow and is exempt from PE, was rushed to the doctors for a check up.
He later told his mum that he was grabbed by a teacher “by the elbow” and “dragged” into the room, where staff told Charlene he stayed for ten minutes.
Pat, a housewife, 50, said: “When I arrived there was a teacher holding the door and Lewis was in there. He was going mad, kicking the door.
“I was gobsmacked, mortified. I have never known for something like this to happen. He said he got dragged in there and there was no way for him to get out.”
She added: “It was this little, square room which was padded. It reminded me of a police cell.”

The school also explains that this room is used to keep the child safe, and other children and members of staff safe.....so it seems he was locked in the room alone.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Major wrote:Parents need to take responsibility and raise their children properly which avoids these situations.

If I were school head and dear Charlene (that is a girls name) played up I would phone his mother to come a collect him.

Thankfully you are not a "School head " then!
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:52 am

unfortunately major is right or this is not the whole story, down here the only schools with the 'safety rooms' are those with potentially violent 'difficult' students.

the reaction of this child also suggest Very poor parenting, setting of boundaries or recognition of authority.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 am

Major your way of dealing with "naughty" children is questionable - and I'm being kind there.
The boy is seven years old! How "naughty" can he be and locking him in a room is going to do what, exactly?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:36 am

How naughty can a 7 year old be?

One where my son used to teach stabbed his teacher in the face with a Biro, another, a 6 year old kicked one in the Balls !
Some of the little bastards have no idea how to behave.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:07 pm

I actually don't think locking children away is the answer. I worked in a classroom and we had a few children with "behavioural problems" but we never locked them up. We found good ways to deal with them, removing them from the situation and others, yes, but not by locking them in a room ffs!

My children thankfully, have never been a handful, but even if their behaviour was awful I'd not dream of locking them in a room.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Major wrote:
Bella wrote:

Thankfully you are not a "School head " then!

Why are you indicating such?, what is wrong with phoning a disruptive childs mother?

You sound as if you would be OK with classroom disruption affecting other children.

Say how you would cure these type of disruptions?

The school did call the mother. His gran collected him from school and saw the distressed state he was in "She allegedly found him wearing no shoes or socks, no t-shirt, bright red and kicking at the door to get out as a teacher held it shut"

The lad is called Lewis, I think it's his mum who is called Charlene. Smile

As a mother (not a teacher) I always found that temper tantrums were best dealt with taking the child to a quiet place and staying with them making sure they didn't hurt themselves, being quiet, then talking calmly when they calmed down.
I know some schools restrict physical contact, but a hug or cuddle is soothing after a child has got himself so worked up.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Major wrote:
Syl wrote:

The school did call the mother. His gran collected him from school and saw the distressed state he was in  "She allegedly found him wearing no shoes or socks, no t-shirt, bright red and kicking at the door to get out as a teacher held it shut"

As a mother (not a teacher) I always found that temper tantrums were best dealt with taking the child to a quiet place and staying with them making sure they didn't hurt themselves, being quiet, then talking calmly when they calmed down.
I know some schools restrict physical contact, but a hug or cuddle is soothing after a child has got himself so worked up.

Why should he be allowed disrupt classmates and teachers without redress?

They ain't even allowed to put their hands onto shoulders of pupils so a cuddle is out.

When a child is already out of control they are irrational, trying quietly to talk to him had already gone by

What should/could the teacher have done, Syl?

Who said there should be no repercussions for his actions?

Nobody did.

This is about the poor method used, which is barbaric.

Clearly he was not that out of control as they were able to remove him from the class

He was standing on a table. hardly any view to violence and even then the method fails to deal with the problem, but attempt to shut the problem away

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:25 pm

That's right didge. He's a little boy not a violent criminal thug!
Children shouldn't be treated like that. It doesn't solve anything it only creates problems.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:31 pm

eddie wrote:That's right didge. He's a little boy not a violent criminal thug!
Children shouldn't be treated like that. It doesn't solve anything it only creates problems.

Its even worse than that, when you think about it Eddie
They are making these young children, comparable to the criminally insane. With the methods of use to restrain. Its appalling.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Thorin wrote:
eddie wrote:That's right didge. He's a little boy not a violent criminal thug!

Its even worse than that, when you think about it Eddie
They are making these young children, comparable to the criminally insane. With the methods of use to restrain. Its appalling.

It is appallling. If I was that boy's mum I would do my nut at the school and I'd take him out immediately.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Major wrote:
Syl wrote:

The school did call the mother. His gran collected him from school and saw the distressed state he was in  "She allegedly found him wearing no shoes or socks, no t-shirt, bright red and kicking at the door to get out as a teacher held it shut"

Why should he be allowed disrupt classmates and teachers without redress?

They ain't even allowed to put their hands onto shoulders of pupils so a cuddle is out.

When a child is already out of control they are irrational, trying quietly to talk to him had already gone by

What should/could the teacher have done, Syl?
He shouldn't be allowed to disrupt the class like this. Parents and teachers should meet and discuss his behaviour, if it has happened before there is possibly reasons behind it, so they need to be addressed.

If it's a one off....well he is a small child of 7, kids don't always act the way they should...that's life.

I know teachers have a difficult job to do, but common sense should prevail, guiding a child away from the classroom and putting him in a safe place is essential. If that means putting your hands on a child to restrain him so be it....you cant allow a child to hurt himself or others.

The teacher should have acted like I said before Major, stayed with him in a quiet place till he had calmed down, then if need be call the parents. He should never have been left locked in a room alone though....it's cruel.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:00 pm

He's only just out of babyhood at seven years old. If he's kicking off and there's no obvious reason like a learning disability, then perhaps he has problems at home.
Locking a child away for expressing emotions is paramount to abuse IMO. Children need to taught that it's okay to express emotions but we try to express them without anger and violent behaviour.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Major wrote:Has anyone considered him being a uncontrollable brat with a useless mother or father if he had one?

Well if he is unfortunate enough to have a useless parent, or parents, then surely that would make you feel sorry for him and realise that locking him away for expressing his anger/hurt/other is just downright stupid and unhelpful?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Major wrote:Has anyone considered him being a uncontrollable brat with a useless mother or father if he had one?

Irrelevant.
Some kids do have behavioural problems, does that make the child a brat?
You do not offer up sensible solutions, but hold the most negative and poorest views of people.
This is about whether such a method is right or wrong.
He climbed on a table, which you seem to think requires the same treatment comparable to those criminally insane.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Major wrote:There is always someone defending the person who has done wrong, using a possible ailment as a excuse.

He climbed on a table, which you seem to think requires the same treatment comparable to those criminally insane.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Major wrote:There is always someone defending the person who has done wrong, using a possible ailment as a excuse.

Apparently he may have Autism.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mark-lever/two-year-waits-for-autism-diagnosis_b_8057760.html

CAMHS are in need of a massive overhaul, they are hopeless in most areas of the country.
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Listen... there are only so many teachers and staff at a school... and with so many rules and regulations on what any staff/teachers can/can't do to physically restrain a child having a major kick off tantrum etc... and I'll bet there are rules on how many of staff should be present to enact any intervention as needing sufficient numbers to witness incident and verify action needed as well as carried out within rules so as to comply with numerous possible legal challenges from childrens parents as well as the health and safety requirements for employer to staff etc...

And on the flip side... there are also rules on how many staff are needed to be suporvising all the rest of the children while the extremely troublesome one is being 'handled'... so you can't allow the one situation to get out of control and start kicking off others that draw even more staff away from their main suporvisory role etc...

What do you do with a kid who is kicking off violently against staff and other kids...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:55 pm

nicko wrote:How naughty can a 7 year old be?

One where my son used to teach stabbed his teacher in the face with a Biro,   another, a 6 year old kicked one in the Balls !
Some of the little bastards have no idea how to behave.

Yep my mum used to teach the learning difficulties kids from a bad houso/chav area and even at 7 they could be dangerous to themselves, others and the teacher. She had chairs and a bin thrown at her all sorts of stuff. it was the time of the heroin epidemic and a lot of them where born addicted to junkie mothers etc.

They did have 'safety rooms' in that school as it did have a special unit for troubled children.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:05 pm

A safe room, a quiet room, where you're sat with a properly trained member of staff yes, but not just put in a locked room.
If children have learning disabilities then a school usually provide (or should provide), a sensory area or room which is designed and dressed to calm and not overstimulate senses too much.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:16 pm

The 'sensory' room is usually padded... sounds like this is where he was...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:43 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:The 'sensory' room is usually padded... sounds like this is where he was...

It was described as being small like a police cell, windowless and padded.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:The 'sensory' room is usually padded... sounds like this is where he was...

Yep... that would be it...!

Except much smaller than a police cell...

The little shits angels aren't given enough room to build up the speed required that could do them any damage while trying to run into the walls...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:13 am

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yep... that would be it...!

Except much smaller than a police cell...

The little shits angels aren't given enough room to build up the speed required that could do them any damage while trying to run into the walls...

To lock any 7 year old, never mind a child with a heart condition, alone in such a room is disgusting imo.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:21 am

No they're not. Perhaps some schools will use padding, as in soft furnishings, but it's not a must, and that's hardly the same as a padded room.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 am

Major wrote:He was safe in said room

And so we're the staff and other children...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:58 am

Laughing
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Major wrote:He was safe in said room

How was he safe when left unattended?

he is not safe.

So if the child starts to make themselves sick and chokes, is the child safe?

In this case, a heart problem?

Is the child safe?

No in each case

The children and teachers were safe, as he was only standing on a table.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Major wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

And so we're the staff and other children...

Ya hit the nail on the head Tommykinz.

Lucky I was not the teacher. lol! lol! lol!

Why? Would you hit such a small child if it was you?

If the answer is yes, you would be done for child abuse, assault etc

So, if yes, the kid would be lucky to not suffer further abuse of his rights.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Major wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Why? Would you hit such a small child if it was you?

If the answer is yes, you would be done for child abuse, assault etc

So, if yes, the kid would be lucky to not suffer further abuse of his rights.

Why doest thou ask if I would hit a small child,  irritating aerosols are my forte, Thorin,

I like children but could not eat a whole one.

The best bet with disruptive bratz is to nail one foot to the floor and he can only walk around in circulz.  lol!  lol!  lol!

PS it works well.

The best bet is to have medically examined those who advocate violence to children

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:19 pm

The best bet is to have a quiet room where a disruptive child can be taken till he calms down. A qualified adult should stay with him
The parents should be informed and if it happens again teachers and parents should meet and discuss what issues may be causing the behaviour and agree about the best way of handling it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next