NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing”

+2
Victorismyhero
eddie
6 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing” - Page 4 Empty Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing”

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:26 am

First topic message reminder :

Sabrina Tavernise, writing for the New York Times, shines a spotlight on the veryPaltrowy practice of juice cleansing.
One of her interviewees is Dr. James H. Grendell, the chief of the division of gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition at Winthrop-University Hospital in Mineola, New York. When he has a patient who’s been detoxing, he asks a very simple question.

Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing” - Page 4 13902801654_55a3ac5fdd_z

[W]hen I ask them what they are trying to get rid of, they aren’t really sure,” said Dr. James H. Grendell, the chief of the division of gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition at Winthrop-University Hospital in Mineola, N.Y. “I’ve yet to find someone who has specified a toxin they were hoping to be spared.”
Other medical professional also ask pointed questions that cast doubt on the claims of cleansers and detoxers.
Dr. Antoinette Saddler, a gastroenterologist at the George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences, agreed to read through one of many blog posts available online about cleansing. She said she was perplexed from the beginning.
A juice diet rests the stomach, [a post] claimed. “Why does the stomach need resting?” she asked.
She read further. Juices require less of the stomach’s digestive processing, it said. “Who said that was beneficial?” she said.
And then she got to the inevitable detox claim: Juicing “allows the body to have more of the resources it needs to support the phases of detoxification, and even to begin to help remove the cumulative toxins stored in the body.” “What does that even mean?” [Saddler] said. Exasperated, she stopped reading.

Still on the fence about whether a so-called detox is worth it? Writer Tara Fuller says she’s done pretty much every cleanse under the sun, with few positive results and many negative ones. Among her findings:

[*]Your body needs protein and fiber, which are largely removed from fruits in the process of juicing.

[*]On that note, eating fruit is considerably better for you than drinking it.

[*]Cleansing makes you weak and hangry.

If the goal is to live healthy and lose weight, let me do my best Johnny Cochran impersonation and say, Dispense with the cleanse. Or, Don’t do the woo.
Instead, use less sugar, eat more fruits and grains, drink more water, get some exercise, and try to get eight hours of sleep a day. And rest assured that unless you abuse alcohol or drugs, your kidneys and liver will do all the detoxing and purifying your body needs — and they’re free!
In the words of Tavernise:
To say that drinking juice detoxifies the body isn’t quite the same as claiming leeches suck out poisons, but it’s fairly close.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/04/21/heres-an-excellent-question-to-ask-people-who-are-cleansing-or-detoxing/

Back to top Go down

Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing” - Page 4 Empty Re: Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing”

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:45 pm

eddie wrote:We all end up eating, out of pure habit, what we've been given as children.
Vegan and vegetarian children know no different, but the adults that decide to stop eating meat are a mystery to people that still eat meat, perhaps?

I don't know what the fascination is tbh. It's just food and all edible.

What's interesting is I'd imagine that vegetarian-born children almost NEVER eat meat yet a lot of meat-eating children often turn vegetarian when they're older?

Wonder what the stats are on that? Be interested

wrong eddie...utterly wrong

see i REALLY...dont care if someone wants to chomp fungus protein all day every day..(quorn ...urgrghhhh) thats their choice...fine

but f**k off with the childish emotive bunny murdering...which is funny on a forum ...but not when idiot politicians get involved...or bombs start being out under scientists cars..........
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing” - Page 4 Empty Re: Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing”

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Oh, and eating meat and shooting rabbits is a choice as well, so you're no more entitled to an opinion than vegans.

true...but since the vegan attacks me first in almost every instance.....i'm entitled to bite back...

and for a change us meat munchers have gone on the offensive...and it isnt liked one bit......

see just like the religious zealot the vegan wants to demonise and criticise...without getting it back Rolling Eyes
and when they do get it back thay play the victim card.....

You really have caught Didgeitis - you're even dragging religion into it ...

Let's face it, it's the other way around on this forum - the militant atheists and militant ant-veganites are very hostile and aggressive.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:47 pm

thats not the point...as wolfie pointed out quite adequately....

however you and others seem to "take their part".....

if ye caw wi t craws
ye'll be shot wi t craws....

as the saying goes........
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
eddie wrote:We all end up eating, out of pure habit, what we've been given as children.
Vegan and vegetarian children know no different, but the adults that decide to stop eating meat are a mystery to people that still eat meat, perhaps?

What's interesting is I'd imagine that vegetarian-born children almost NEVER eat meat yet a lot of meat-eating children often turn vegetarian when they're older?

see i REALLY...dont care if someone wants to chomp fungus protein all day every day..(quorn ...urgrghhhh)  thats their choice...fine

but f**k off with the childish emotive bunny murdering...which is funny on a forum ...but not when idiot politicians get involved...or bombs start being out under scientists cars..........

Oh please. You don't mind being childish about vegetarians do you? You just don't like the tables being turned much.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Lord Foul wrote:thats not the point...as wolfie pointed out quite adequately....

if ye caw wi t craws

I think it is the point. On and on you and Wolfman go, and you expect everyone to bow down to you.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Oh, and eating meat and shooting rabbits is a choice as well, so you're no more entitled to an opinion than vegans.

true...but since the vegan attacks me first in almost every instance.....i'm entitled to bite back...

and for a change us meat munchers have gone on the offensive...and it isnt liked one bit......

see just like the religious zealot the vegan wants to demonise and criticise...without getting it back Rolling Eyes
and when they do get it back thay play the victim card.....

Let's face it, it's the other way around on this forum - the militant atheists and militant ant-veganites are very hostile and aggressive.

with good reason.....and yet...the ONLY weapon we have used is ridicule.....unlike vegans...
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

see i REALLY...dont care if someone wants to chomp fungus protein all day every day..(quorn ...urgrghhhh)  thats their choice...fine

Oh please. You don't mind being childish about vegetarians do you? You just don't like the tables being turned much.

what part of the vegans started it dont you understand?
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:51 pm

I don't call people bunny-munchers and if I do I'm joking
I don't have an issued with people eating meat, I'm not a devout animal-lover anyway. Mine is to do with taste. I simply don't like the taste of meat.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:51 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:thats not the point...as wolfie pointed out quite adequately....

if ye caw wi t craws

I think it is the point. On and on you and Wolfman go, and you expect everyone to bow down to you.

isnt it rather the case, as is a common link through your threads, that you wish to post your points unchallenged?
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:51 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

with good reason.....and yet...the ONLY weapon we have used is ridicule.....unlike vegans...

Well I know a vegan or two, and I'm quite sure they never used violence or interfered with your rabbit-murdering ways.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:52 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

isnt it rather the case, as is a common link through your threads, that you wish to post your points unchallenged?

I think that applies more to you actually Victor.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:52 pm

I don't call people bunny-munchers and if I do I'm joking
I don't have an issued with people eating meat, I'm not a devout animal-lover anyway. Mine is to do with taste. I simply don't like the taste of meat.

I still cook meat for everyone else in my house and when people visit, though most people still like a portion of my veggie dinners cos I am pretty nifty cook Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:52 pm

eddie wrote:I don't call people bunny-munchers and if I do I'm joking

which is why I happily refer to YOU as "fungus face" or mushroom top etc...

I KNOW you are joking......

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

yeah yeah...

so why do you wail so much ALL the time...you tried it here ...simply becasue I compared ONE set of beleifs (veganism) with another (religion)

you tried the victim card......

when the reality is that both have their similarities, of behaviour and methodology....and the comparison is actually little to do with the tenets of a religion.
that it is about the fact that the psychology is much the same

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

yeah yeah...

so why do you wail so much ALL the time...you tried it here ...simply becasue I compared ONE set of beleifs (veganism) with another (religion)

you tried the victim card......

when the reality is that both have their similarities, of behaviour and methodology....and the comparison is actually little to do with the tenets of a religion.
that it is about the fact that the psychology is much the same

I don't "wail". It just mystifies me why you and others can't go five fucking minutes without mentioning religion, that's all.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 pm

do you REALLY want me to answer that???? Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing” - Page 4 202592697
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Lord Foul wrote:do you REALLY want me to answer that???? Here’s an Excellent Question to Ask People Who Are “Cleansing” or “Detoxing” - Page 4 202592697

It wasn't a question. To be honest, it's just boring and repetitive. Do you think you could manage to discuss something without banging on about religion?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:28 pm

well in as much as "religion" seems to be a "standard" by which much is measured...its difficult to imagine how one avoids it ....without becoming all "wordy"

i mean a concientious person

"religiously" follows the rules

a fanatical person follows his interest with "religious fervour"

etc etc etc ....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:28 pm

Lord Foul wrote:well in as much as "religion" seems to be a "standard" by which much is measured...its difficult to imagine how one avoids it ....without becoming all "wordy"

i mean a concientious person

"religiously" follows the rules

a fanatical person follows his interest with "religious fervour"

etc etc etc ....

How long did it take you to come up with such a flimsy excuse?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:31 pm

no excuse ...its a fact....

and comparing one fanaticism with another is also quite reasonable and fair.....It says nothing about the tenets of either....but says volumes about the psychology geek
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Lord Foul wrote:no excuse ...its a fact....

and comparing one fanaticism with another is also quite reasonable and fair.....It says nothing about the tenets of either....but says volumes about the psychology geek

Yes, but militant atheists are the new fanatics, so you need to adjust your ideas.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4