NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fashion or racial abuse?

5 posters

Go down

Fashion or racial abuse? Empty Fashion or racial abuse?

Post by eddie Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:11 pm

Fashion Designer Adriana Degreas has displayed a dress on her runway emblazoned with a black slave on the front in a shackled contrapment over her face & mouth which would enable them to not be able to speak.

This is not fashion, this is fetishising and commodifying racial abuse.

We need to put a stop to this can you believe in 2015 we are still subjected to this for of racism & imagery
It would not be acceptable to emblazon a dress with a holocaust victim & we will not accept this form of disrespect to our ancestors
Please sign this petition to get ANY item with Black Slave Imagery from being showcased as fashion or art by Adriana Degreas

Fashion or racial abuse? Image14
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Fashion or racial abuse? Empty Re: Fashion or racial abuse?

Post by eddie Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Link to change.org

https://www.change.org/p/adriana-degreas-adriana-degreas-racist-potrayal-of-black-slaves-in-her-runway-fashion-show
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Fashion or racial abuse? R6fPDXE
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:21 pm

They could have made the eyes a bit darker really.

I don't think it'll catch on as a fashion item. rabbit
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:30 pm

Veya I dont have any idea what your two pictures are about I'm afraid. I'm tired so it's probably just me.

Rags, don't you think that dress is in really poor taste?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:34 pm

eddie wrote:Veya I dont have any idea what your two pictures are about I'm afraid. I'm tired so it's probably just me.

Perhaps she's making a statement about being a slave to fashion. Fashion or racial abuse? 1191311443

It's like a Scold's Bridle, which would apply to women in general.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Veya I dont have any idea what your two pictures are about I'm afraid. I'm tired so it's probably just me.

Perhaps she's making a statement about being a slave to fashion. Fashion or racial abuse? 1191311443

It's like a Scold's Bridle, which would applyshould be applied to women in general.

there ...fixed it for you Twisted Evil Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:03 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's like a Scold's Bridle, which would applyshould be applied to women in general.

there ...fixed it for you Twisted Evil Laughing

Fashion or racial abuse? 859118666
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 am

Fashion or racial abuse? 3489511464 Fashion or racial abuse? 3489511464 Fashion or racial abuse? 3489511464 Fashion or racial abuse? 3489511464
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Fashion or racial abuse? Empty You Really Need To Get Out More and Become Exposed To The WW of ART & FASHION

Post by Guest Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:23 am

Because there is always going to be those times in our daily lives when it will behoove us to provide someone, an acquaintance, friend, relative, hell even a internet community forum member with éclairissement for complete understanding and further growth!

**BINGO** here it is >>>
How could/would anyone not know that the reason that 'ART & FASHION' are taught in the same college's/college programs/institutions/degreed programs --- that you will be taking classes in drawing/design/color palette/contrasting light & shadows/depth of images and how fabric can TELL A STORY JUST AS ANY OIL/CHARCOAL/ETCHING/STIPLING/WATER COLORS/CLAY/PLASTER/CERAMIC/PORCELAIN etc., etc., etc.,
Basically any thing used as a paint medium on a canvas or cloth???

Art tells a story and so does the fashion and method of their fashion designers!

Fashion and Art - Brown University
tirocchi.stg.brown.edu/514/story/fashion_art.html
Think about: Is fashion and clothing art? Does fashion continue to get inspiration from the art world? If not, what influences fashion -- street wear?
Printable Version · Fashion in The 1910S · 1920S · 1940S · The Business · Dressmaking

Art & Design on FASHION NET
https://www.fashion.net/art
Art & Design on FASHION NET — the world's number one hub for fashion.
Centraal Museum · Frieze · Cooper-Hewitt

Vintage Fashion and Art Home Page
www.vintagefashionandart.com
Vintage Fashion and Art, LLC is the only online repository of dresses, fashion illustration and photography that exists in museum collections around the world.

Fusion Fashion & Art Productions
fusionfashionandart.com
The FUSION of Fashion and Art productions including High fashion, art exhibits, & performing arts, events and shows in Palm Beach Florida.

Fashion School - Academy of Art University
www.academyart.edu/academics/fashion
Pursue your fashion degree at the Academy's fashion design & merchandising school in San Francisco or online. Bring your vision to life on the runway!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:36 pm

So you think it's ok then?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:50 pm

eddie wrote:So you think it's ok then?

Hmmm, as with many - MANY things relative to the IDEA ---

Art and art forms are subjective; If you are a racists then any thing you see will be adversely viewed and hysterically reacted to --- playing 'COY' about words and how words are applied just doesn't become you! 
But you denseness have been fodder for many others around here --- I'm just now getting clued in to that issue Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:53 pm

I hate it...it might be sending a message (not sure what) but it's awful.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Listen JD, may I call you JD? (Specsaver doesn't suit you really).
Re the thread: It doesn't matter what you say as your past grievances are blinding you so no debate to be having here.

I can't really answer your post so I'm going to choose to ignore it okay?
Thanks then.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Syl wrote:I hate it...it might be sending a message (not sure what) but it's awful.

Well - Hell, sure it is and what they've done to my gender past / present/future seems to be needing a newer set of eyes shown upon it --- many a young lady of the 21st century don't know what their gender has been subjected too so this fashion designer made a deliberate choice to 'GO THERE'!

One thing for absolute positive about 'FASHION'; we have free will and our own ability to wear whatever we chose to --- and that's come a long-long way. IMHO

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Syl wrote:I hate it...it might be sending a message (not sure what) but it's awful.

I think it's in very bad taste Syl, that's for sure.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:59 pm

eddie wrote:Listen JD, may I call you JD? (Specsaver doesn't suit you really).
Re the thread: It doesn't matter what you say as your past grievances are blinding you so no debate to be having here.

I can't really answer your post so I'm going to choose to ignore it okay?
Thanks then.

Fashion or racial abuse? Lmao  OH, HELL - YES...that was quite the LAME IGNORE; and yet not surprising for how you've behaved/post/moderate and join in with those 'LESSER THINKING PALS' of yours.  Dense & Lame and indeed that was a real superior 'IGNORE'!!! 

Lordy - Lordy, this has just been too much fun today --- but that's a subjective POV too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:02 pm

aspca4ever wrote:

Well - Hell, sure it is and what they've done to my gender past / present/future seems to be needing a newer set of eyes shown upon it --- many a young lady of the 21st century don't know what their gender has been subjected too so this fashion designer made a deliberate choice to 'GO THERE'!

One thing for absolute positive about 'FASHION'; we have free will and our own ability to wear whatever we chose to --- and that's come a long-long way. IMHO

If you are JD your gender is male. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:06 pm

I don't think it's JD. The abusive style is similar to wolfman, but I think it's possible that it's someone who has not been before - or at least not actually posted before. Specsaver said she had joined in December, and the Gumdrop account was registered then - and that name is very familiar to me. He/she also has a very similar MO to another person I encountered on another forum, but time will tell ...

I'm not sure if it's a person who's pretending to be mad, or if it's really a mad person.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Syl wrote:
aspca4ever wrote:

Naaa, that's just the moderator jumping into the frey with the other TROLL GROUPIES and feeling secure in her position!

WRONG that it's been since I first signed in...but 'EDDIE CHILD' has flip/flopped with the other pack attack and now I'm JOY!   Fashion or racial abuse? 2190311264   Frustration & ignorance seems to be so pervasive here --- all those voices in those 'wee-little children' must cause some serious brain aches, to be sure!  LMAO 
Enjoy the show --- it's comes in waves~~~

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Anyway, re the garment, I can't really get past the fact that it has a huge face on it, and it's not really my sort of thing. Laughing

I don't know if there's a "message" in the garment or why the designer came up with it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:17 pm

aspca4ever wrote:
Syl wrote:

Naaa, that's just the moderator jumping into the frey with the other TROLL GROUPIES and feeling secure in her position!

WRONG that it's been since I first signed in...but 'EDDIE CHILD' has flip/flopped with the other pack attack and now I'm JOY!   Fashion or racial abuse? 2190311264   Frustration & ignorance seems to be so pervasive here --- all those voices in those 'wee-little children' must cause some serious brain aches, to be sure!  LMAO 

Whoever you are you are a gobby one. Laughing

I just think the picture on the dress is awful. Bad things have happened in the past and are happening now, but why emblazon such an image on a fashion item?
I think it's just a gimmick and I also think it's in bad taste.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:16 pm

aspca4ever wrote:
Syl wrote:
aspca4ever wrote:

I never called you Joy. I called you JD.
How did you get "Joy" from "JD"

JD is a drink. It's short for Jack Daniels
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:19 pm

eddie wrote:Link to change.org

https://www.change.org/p/adriana-degreas-adriana-degreas-racist-potrayal-of-black-slaves-in-her-runway-fashion-show

Have signed after researching this

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Me too.
So far it's only you, Syl and I, that see a problem with this?!

I wouldn't wear a tshit or any clothing that had a picture connected to such history!

Have a green and a thanks
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:23 pm

eddie wrote:Me too.
So far it's only you, Syl and I, that see a problem with this?!

I wouldn't wear a tshit or any clothing that had a picture connected to such history!

Have a green and a thanks

The face doesn't look particularly black to me - it's sort of darkish, but the eyes are very light, and she's much too glamorous to be portraying a slave. It might be some kind of message about women - as I said, it looks like a Scold's bridle.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Raggs:

[snipped]

recent image on Facebook where White Brazilian fashion designer, Adriana Degreas, used the image of an enslaved African woman as fashion is a case in point. Degreas used the image of enslaved African woman, Escrava Anastácia, on a dress worn by a White Brazilian model, Shirley Mallman.

The sight of blonde Shirley Mallman sashaying down the runway with the larger than life sized image of Escrava Anastácia displayed on the front of her dress has been condemned by many Facebook users.

A petition urging Adriana Degreas to stop using the image has been organized by African British woman, Tanya Allison, from London, United Kingdom. The petition states: “Fashion Designer Adriana Degreas has displayed a dress on her runway emblazoned with a Black slave on the front in a shackled contrapment over her face & mouth which would enable them to not be able to speak. This is not fashion, this is fetishising and commodifying racial abuse. We need to put a stop to this can you believe in 2015 we are still subjected to this form of racism & imagery. It would not be acceptable to emblazon a dress with a Holocaust victim & we will not accept this form of disrespect to our ancestors.”

Degreas has also featured models wearing dresses with images of slave ships showing the bodies of Africans crammed below deck. The image of enslaved African woman, Escrava Anastácia, muzzled by a metal mouthpiece is especially startling because her face is displayed larger than life complete with her neck shackled.

http://sharenews.com/brazils-white-supremacy-exhibited-on-a-models-dress/
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks eddie. I never heard of her, and the pic of her looks different to the one on the garment.

Tbh, most of these designer clothes never get seen in public anyway do that?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Thanks eddie. I never heard of her, and the pic of her looks different to the one on the garment.

Tbh, most of these designer clothes never get seen in public anyway do that?

No they dont because they're normally impractical and awful! lol!

But using that picture is just really,poor taste
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:49 pm

eddie wrote:
aspca4ever wrote:
Syl wrote:
aspca4ever wrote:

I never called you Joy. I called you JD.
How did you get "Joy" from "JD"

JD is a drink. It's short for Jack Daniels
l

Tell you what, I'll call you aspca and we can start all over again.
I won't call you JD or JOY - even though I've never called you JOY so I don't know HOW ON EARTH you jumped to that?????

Anyway, no more JOY OR JD. I'll call you aspca and we will draw a line.

What do you say?? Let's stop this wee silliness and get as cosy as a sporran on a kilt. cheers

Cheers!!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down