NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased

+6
Ben Reilly
Victorismyhero
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
nicko
Major
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased - Page 2 Empty Re: Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

A lot of them were going into landfill though - where you can't see them. Seriously, shops were giving out so many bags all day, every day, and it was ridiculous.

Take a look at the big shops - they are giving the money to charity, they're not keeping it.

In the unlikely event that I would go out shopping for a ball gown, I would of course take a bag with me. I don't understand why you seem to be incapable of doing that.

Well on the scale of things it's not really important, but it's inconvenient sometimes.
For eg....I went to a shopping outlet, bought a winter coat for me, shoes and jeans for him...the assistant says "Have you brought your own bag?"....well No, on account of it would have to be bloody duvet sized to fit everything in.

When you spend a lot of money it's just so pathetic of the shops to charge for a bag.
They should invest in biodegradable ones for large bulky items.....problem solved.

Think of it another way. You've bought some clothes which cost a fair amount, so what's another 5p on top of that?

The sales assistant is obliged by law to charge you for a bag. They can't just say - oh well, you did some shopping so have a free bag.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased - Page 2 Empty Re: Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Seriously, people who complain about having to pay for a bag are just irritating and petty. In my opinion, most people do not complain and are really good about it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Seriously, people who complain about having to pay for a bag are just irritating and petty. In my opinion, most people do not complain and are really good about it.

It only bothers me insomuch as the fact that I always recycled mine!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:44 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Seriously, people who complain about having to pay for a bag are just irritating and petty. In my opinion, most people do not complain and are really good about it.

So did I, and it was quite shocking how many I actually recycled. I was the same as a lot of people - I intended to take bags but forgot. Now I remember to take them. I still sometimes buy a bag, but I've ended up with nowhere near as many as I used to have.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

So did I, and it was quite shocking how many I actually recycled. I was the same as a lot of people - I intended to take bags but forgot. Now I remember to take them. I still sometimes buy a bag, but I've ended up with nowhere near as many as I used to have.
Yes me too. But I was using my carrier bags as food recycling bags - now I have to buy actual bags to put food waste in!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes me too. But I was using my carrier bags as food recycling bags - now I have to buy actual bags to put food waste in!

Aren't you supposed to use biodegradable bags for that anyway?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased - Page 2 831128002030-1

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:57 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well on the scale of things it's not really important, but it's inconvenient sometimes.
For eg....I went to a shopping outlet, bought a winter coat for me, shoes and jeans for him...the assistant says "Have you brought your own bag?"....well No, on account of it would have to be bloody duvet sized to fit everything in.

When you spend a lot of money it's just so pathetic of the shops to charge for a bag.
They should invest in biodegradable ones for large bulky items.....problem solved.

Think of it another way. You've bought some clothes which cost a fair amount, so what's another 5p on top of that?

The sales assistant is obliged by law to charge you for a bag. They can't just say - oh well, you did some shopping so have a free bag.

I'm not blaming the sales assistant, though it was a daft question to ask in the circumstances.

The charge is to cut down on the usage on non biodegradable bags....sometimes a bag has to be provided, so the shop should provide them free of charge in those circumstance....imo.

I just did a weekly food shop in Sainsburys....I needed a bag for life replacement, two assistants did not know whether it was free or not (it is) Seems to me that this government scheme is causing more confusion than its worth.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes but you are also able to use the cheap tesco or sainsbury carrier bags as they are biogradable
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I'm not blaming the sales assistant, though it was a daft question to ask in the circumstances.

The charge is to cut down on the usage on non biodegradable bags....sometimes a bag has to be provided, so the shop should provide them free of charge in those circumstance....imo.

I just did a weekly food shop in Sainsburys....I needed a bag for life replacement, two assistants did not know whether it was free or not (it is) Seems to me that this government scheme is causing more confusion than its worth.

Why was it a daft question? Lots of people have a bag in their pocket, so how would the sales assistant know if you had one or not?

The shop does provide a bag free of charge in circumstances where one has to be provided. I don't think that includes a bag for new clothes though.

Maybe the two assistants hadn't been told whether the bags were free or not.

I dunno - why do you treat sales assistants like they're inferior or should bow down to you?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:03 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes but you are also able to use the cheap tesco or sainsbury carrier bags as they are biogradable

I don't know if all councils accept that anyway. They want people to use special bags.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Why was it a daft question? Lots of people have a bag in their pocket, so how would the sales assistant know if you had one or not?

The shop does provide a bag free of charge in circumstances where one has to be provided. I don't think that includes a bag for new clothes though.

I dunno - why do you treat sales assistants like they're inferior or should bow down to you?

It was a daft question because the bag required was huge.....who carries a duvet sized bag around with them...do you?

The people on the checkout tills should have been taught basic rules before they were left alone, that to me is a management error.....and I certainly didn't treat either of them as if they were inferior, what a silly thing to say.
I sympathised with the first lad who said he was new and wasn't sure of the rules.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It was a daft question because the bag required was huge.....who carries a duvet sized bag around with them...do you?

The people on the checkout  tills should have been taught  basic rules before they were left alone, that to me is a management error.....and I certainly didn't treat either of them  as if they were inferior, what a silly thing to say.
I sympathised with the first lad who said he was new and wasn't sure of the rules.

For one coat, jeans, and shoes? I don't think so. Lots of people carry large bags folded up.

Maybe the issue of bags for life hadn't come up before, or maybe the other assistant missed the training. It's still early days with this bag thing.

You and Stormee have done nothing but complain all the way through this thread over something which is really very trivial.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

The people on the checkout  tills should have been taught  basic rules before they were left alone, that to me is a management error.....and I certainly didn't treat either of them  as if they were inferior, what a silly thing to say.

For one coat, jeans, and shoes? I don't think so. Lots of people carry large bags folded up.

Maybe the issue of bags for life hadn't come up before, or maybe the other assistant missed the training. It's still early days with this bag thing.

You and Stormee have done nothing but complain all the way through this thread over something which is really very trivial.

Apart from the jeans and shoes iIt was a big padded winter coat.....the bag needed was duvet sized. Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased - Page 2 770432
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Apart from the jeans and shoes iIt was a big padded winter coat.....the bag needed was duvet sized. Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased - Page 2 770432

They squash down don't they?

Besides, the question was probably automatic.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Stormee wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

My house rubbish of all types went into these carrier bags and then into a big bin.
Now I will have to buy bags to dispose of my rubbish.
If I buy the customary black bags when they are full take up more room in the big bin so you cannot get as much in them.

When you buy clothes for exampleit is reasonable for them to be handed to you in a CLEAN bag or wrapping as the one you have may be grubby.

I was told today that Primark have always given paper bags and still do.

You have to buy bin liners now? Oh no - what a disaster! Just don't fill the black bags up so much.

The clothes you bought had probably been on the floor a few times anyway, so don't worry about that. Laughing

Why would your bag be grubby? You can wash them you know - those fold up ones wash quite nicely.

Primark do have paper bags, but they're not so good if it's raining tbh.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Stormee wrote:I do not buy bin liners Miss Ragga, as I have said, I use plastic carrier bags.

This misgovernment intervention is costing us more money.
Councils used to issue black bags not so long ago.

Well you'll have to pay 5p to chuck away your rubbish now. I'm sure you can afford it. I don't see why Councils should provide people with bin liners really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Stormee wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well you'll have to pay 5p to chuck away your rubbish now. I'm sure you can afford it. I don't see why Councils should provide people with bin liners really.

Councils stopped collecting rubbish from our home footprints forcing people to drag bins some distances.

Councils supplied black bags and OBVIOUSLY they were budgeted for in our rates/community charges, they took the black bags off us but did not give us back the cost of supplying us with black bags.

Look at the disgusting state of our streets all day, every day with big bins littering and obstructing our side walks.

How doest thou equate 5p to chuck away your rubbish?

I mean that if you want to keep using carrier bags for your rubbish, you'll have to pay 5p for them instead of getting them free.

Are they wheely bins? If so, they're not really heavy because of the wheels. I don't see the difference between bins being on the pavement and black bags being on the pavement.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:59 am

Stormee wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I mean that if you want to keep using carrier bags for your rubbish, you'll have to pay 5p for them instead of getting them free.

Are they wheely bins? If so, they're not really heavy because of the wheels. I don't see the difference between bins being on the pavement and black bags being on the pavement.

People kept black bags behind their properties, carried them through only putting them out on collection days whereas the wheelie bins are left on the sidewalks permanently, have you not witnessed such? Miss Ragga.

I haven't really noticed tbh. If someone has nowhere to put a wheely bin, I don't think they have to have one. People are supposed to take their bins off the pavement once the bin men have been, but I don't know if there's a penalty for failing to do so.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:07 pm

What Stormee?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:16 pm

Stormee wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What Stormee?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=picture+wheelie+bins+blocking+footpath&client=safari&channel=mac_bm&biw=1432&bih=741&tbm=isch&imgil=JzN4wjxiFgZ0lM%253A%253B8W0Rndo25ivd7M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fpedestrianliberation.org%25252Fcategory%25252Fwheelie-bins%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=JzN4wjxiFgZ0lM%253A%252C8W0Rndo25ivd7M%252C_&usg=__TEtL8HLldY8e__aj-2t_5emHQPI%3D&ved=0CC4QyjdqFQoTCNupg6TJmskCFcbrDgodPG8LVw&ei=dr9MVtuWKsbXO7zerbgF#imgrc=JzN4wjxiFgZ0lM%3A&usg=__TEtL8HLldY8e__aj-2t_5emHQPI%3D

Maybe it was bin collecting day Stormee. Laughing

Do you remember when people had one dustbin which was smaller than a wheely bin? They didn't have all those recycling bins either. People must chuck out far more stuff these days.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:38 pm

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased - Page 2 3411388089_5da88258c2_b

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Stormee wrote:Tidy Bins, lol

Hey Miss Ragga.

Did you just see Ken Livingstone being interviewed with a load of street wheelie bins in camera shot, I smiled.

No I didn't. Was it bin day? Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:07 am

Anyone remember when we had one metal "Dustbin" that was just filled with Ash from our fires? The "Dustbin men" came once a week carrying an open topped metal bin into which they tipped the ash from your Dust bin. They then hoisted it on to their shoulders, carried it to the Dustcart and in a cloud of ash dust tipped it in. I doubt if any one here remembers that.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Bet no one else remembers this.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:15 pm

nicko wrote:Bet no one else remembers this.

I sort of do - not the details though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Ben, do you remember how rubbish was collected 70 yrs ago, not personaly of course.

same for Veya and Quill?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased - Page 2 Professions-rubbishmen-trash_collector-garbage_collectors-canned_food-can-mba0132_low

The old garbage man?  Sure.  We lived up a hill, and the garbage man had to climb 64-steps up a narrow walkway to reach the back service area.  He had a leather piece for his shoulder, on which he hoisted the metal container.  

Every morning you would hear a clunk, for the lid removal, then a pause, then the sound of the metal as it dragged along the stucco house.  Then a crash as he emptied it into the truck, then the scrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaape as he brought the can back up and...clunk, replaced the top. (Always figured he must be left handed.)

Ump...time to get up and go to school.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Stormee wrote:Today I took a new pair of trousers in a Sainsbury's carrie bag to be altered at a proper shop.
They were ready within 30 minutes and given back to me in a new large carrier bag with the shops name/logo on the side.

How can they do this????

Perhaps they have fewer than 250 employees?

Did you originally pay for the Sainsbury's bag? Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:51 pm

nicko wrote:Ben,  do you remember how rubbish was collected 70 yrs ago, not personaly of course.

same for Veya and Quill?

umm In Australia, in Blacktown at least, you probably just burnt it Razz Razz Razz
other wise the guy ran along and collect bins

now we have the robot trucks the drive down the street with the robot arm that picks the bin up
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2