NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Britains sweat shops.

5 posters

Go down

Britains sweat shops. Empty Britains sweat shops.

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:02 pm

This is what your trendy cheap clothes are really costing.

Many illegal immigrants work in these sweatshops.
Many people desperate for work with no opportunities to get a decent minimum wage job work in them.
They risk their lives every day because the working conditions are so unsafe.

And some of Britains most popular trendy shops queue up to buy the merchandise they churn out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sweatshop-britain-workers-are-paid-9675396

"High street stores are allegedly selling clothes made in sweatshops by workers who are paid £3 an hour.
An investigation into British factories connected to some of the UK’s most popular fashion chains has uncovered shocking employment practices.

River Island and New Look are reported to have used suppliers that paid less than half the minimum wage, while online retailers Boohoo and Missguided hired suppliers that reportedly routinely broke employment law.

Channel 4’s Dispatches programme used undercover reporters to expose factory conditions.

Health and safety expert Prof Richard Booth watched the footage and said there were major concerns about the risk of fire.
He said: “Fires happen very, very rapidly. There’s a smoke build up, there’s a low ceiling, the people are partly panicking and the doors open the wrong way.”
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Britains sweat shops. Empty Re: Britains sweat shops.

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:16 pm

When peoples lives are treated so cheaply, forcing them to work in unsafe buildings and conditions (which  not that long ago was happening in Manchester,raids were carried out where people were working in unsafe conditions used as sweat shops which supplied Primark, which was less than half a mile away) disasters can happen.
The employers don't care about their workers.....

This photo shocked the world, it's heartbreaking. It could happen anywhere where people are being exploited in this way.

Upsetting powerful image.
http://time.com/3387526/a-final-embrace-the-most-haunting-photograph-from-bangladesh/
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Funny that nobody seems to want to talk about this.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Syl wrote:This is what your trendy cheap clothes are really costing.

Many illegal immigrants work in these sweatshops.
Many people desperate for work with no opportunities to get a decent minimum wage job work in them.
They risk their lives every day because the working conditions are so unsafe.

And some of Britains most popular trendy shops queue up to buy the merchandise they churn out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sweatshop-britain-workers-are-paid-9675396

"High street stores are allegedly selling clothes made in sweatshops by workers who are paid £3 an hour.
An investigation into British factories connected to some of the UK’s most popular fashion chains has uncovered shocking employment practices.

River Island and New Look are reported to have used suppliers that paid less than half the minimum wage, while online retailers Boohoo and Missguided hired suppliers that reportedly routinely broke employment law.

Channel 4’s Dispatches programme used undercover reporters to expose factory conditions.

Health and safety expert Prof Richard Booth watched the footage and said there were major concerns about the risk of fire.
He said: “Fires happen very, very rapidly. There’s a smoke build up, there’s a low ceiling, the people are partly panicking and the doors open the wrong way.”

Are these illegal immigrants working here in the UK ?
Manage to open the link - okay well if they are illegal they shouldn't be here so need deporting .

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Funny that nobody seems to want to talk about this.

Maybe I should have shown the photo openly of the two workers in Bangladesh, hugging each other in death.
I think that has to be one of the most heart breaking pictures published in recent years.....it's stayed with me for 3 years.

It could happen again.....even in so called wealthy advanced countries.
Not much has changed it seems.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm glad this has been brought to the attention of the public but it wont stop people buying cheap clothes.
River Island and New Look are both shops that target teenagers and the very young who aren't earning a lot.

I have huge doubts too, that these shops will stop using these poor people.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:

Are these illegal immigrants working here in the UK ?
Manage to open the link - okay well if they are illegal they shouldn't be here so need deporting .

There's a documentary on Ch 4 tonight, 8pm....'Undercover, Britains cheap clothes'.... where undercover workers investigate just what's going on.

I know when the factories were raided in Manchester a few years ago a lot of illegals were taken away.....I imagine some workers are legal  and just desperate for money.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:33 pm

eddie wrote:I'm glad this has been brought to the attention of the public but it wont stop people buying cheap clothes.
River Island and New Look are both shops that target teenagers and the very young who aren't earning a lot.

I have huge doubts too, that these shops will stop using these poor people.

I have never shopped in Primark since the news broke a few years ago about their illegal sweat shops.
I do think people will boycott the clothes, and I hope the employees are forced to back date pay for the workers they are screwing over.

Amazing that the high street shops that buy and sell these clothes have no knowledge of whats going on in the factories Rolling Eyes ....they buy the clothes dirt cheap and sell at huge profit...it pays them to keep quiet till the scandals break..
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:36 pm

To be honest, I don't shop in Primark purely because their stuff is shit, and both the shops I mentioned above, I find to be 'too young' or just not my thing.
I like nice materials for clothing and would rather by one good quality item than five crap ones.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 pm

eddie wrote:To be honest, I don't shop in Primark purely because their stuff is shit, and both the shops I mentioned above, I find to be 'too young' or just not my thing.
I like nice materials for clothing and would rather by one good quality item than five crap ones.

I used to shop there, mainly for T shirts and pants for lozzing round the house in, they did the job.
Even if their clothes were fabulous I wouldn't shop there now.

I think ALL shops should be named and shamed that trade with sweat shops....it's pure greed.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:To be honest, I don't shop in Primark purely because their stuff is shit, and both the shops I mentioned above, I find to be 'too young' or just not my thing.

I used to shop there, mainly for T shirts and pants for lozzing round the house in, they did the job.

I think ALL shops should be named and shamed that trade with sweat shops....it's pure greed.

What must one be doing, to be ""lozzing"?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:41 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

What must one be doing,  to be ""lozzing"?

Sod all. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 pm

This is absolutely illegal in the UK. Companies must pay the national living wage or minimum wage, and they must follow health and safety laws. It's also illegal to employ illegal immigrants. It might be unethical for New Look and River Island to use these suppliers, but it's the suppliers who are breaking the law. It shouldn't be too difficult for the authorities to deal with them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:This is absolutely illegal in the UK. Companies must pay the national living wage or minimum wage, and they must follow health and safety laws. It's also illegal to employ illegal immigrants. It might be unethical for New Look and River Island to use these suppliers, but it's the suppliers who are breaking the law. It shouldn't be too difficult for the authorities to deal with them.

Well it's been going on for years.....so the authorities either find it too hard to deal with it or they are turning a blind eye..
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:This is absolutely illegal in the UK. Companies must pay the national living wage or minimum wage, and they must follow health and safety laws. It's also illegal to employ illegal immigrants. It might be unethical for New Look and River Island to use these suppliers, but it's the suppliers who are breaking the law. It shouldn't be too difficult for the authorities to deal with them.

Well it's been going on for years.....so the authorities either find it too hard to deal with it or they are turning a blind eye..

It should be easy enough to check the pay details and hours of everyone who works there and/or the legal status of the employees. Health and Safety checks are easy enough to do. If these things are not being done when a problem is reported, it's the fault of the authorities.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

It should be easy enough to check the pay details and hours of everyone who works there and/or the legal status of the employees. Health and Safety checks are easy enough to do. If these things are not being done when a problem is reported, it's the fault of the authorities.
Seems the problems are not being reported though.
In the programme tonight the workers work in conditions not fit for a dog....managers walking around smoking (illegal)where there are bales of inflammable material around (dangerous) Blocked fire escapes, inadequate toilet facilities, some workers being paid less than half the legal wage...and so on.

Will know more after watching the programme.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

In the programme tonight the workers work in conditions not fit for a dog....managers walking around smoking (illegal)where there are bales of inflammable material around (dangerous) Blocked fire escapes, inadequate toilet facilities, some workers being paid less than half the legal wage...and so on.

Well now it's been reported so someone should do something - fast.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well now it's been reported so someone should do something - fast.

Hopefully....before we end up with a disaster similar to the one in Bangladesh.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Major wrote:I took a shortcut through a store in Redditch last week and noticed school childs woolly type gloves in packs of 2 for a £1

How can that be so???????????????

Because the people who are making them and packing them are being paid an illegal pittance probably.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down