NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased

+6
Ben Reilly
Victorismyhero
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
nicko
Major
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased Empty Re: Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased

Post by nicko Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:56 am

Why didn't you ask for one?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased Empty Re: Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Bags are no longer paper. They have become plastic containers, and end up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean as a part of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased US_NavyV2-400x300

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased Pacific-4

As a result several states have outlawed bags altogether. Others, like California, have assigned a cost, encouraging customers to bring their own non-toxic, fabric or other bags.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Take your own bag, or pay for one.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:09 pm

here's the corrected map to show current world opinion

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased Map110
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Stormee wrote:
nicko wrote:Why didn't you ask for one?

I begrudge paying 5p or 10p for a bigger one.

Today I conned a bigger one for goods bought.

Take your own bags then.

I don't get why people have an issue with this. Besides, a lot of shops give the money they get for bags to charity.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Stormee wrote:The shops have offered a wrapping service in some way since bacon was 3d a loaf, now scabby Scamoron has changed it for no good reason accept to make more money for his already mega rich mates.

Today my wife bought stuff on spec so did not have a bag with her.

Get a small fold up bag, and ask your wife to keep it in her handbag.

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased 51sCQ4z3%2BuL._SY300_
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:52 pm

There's no doubt that not providing bags is a way for retailers to outsource a fairly big cost to the consumer -- but that's capitalism. There's also no doubt that bringing your own reusable bags is better for the environment.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:02 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:There's no doubt that not providing bags is a way for retailers to outsource a fairly big cost to the consumer -- but that's capitalism. There's also no doubt that bringing your own reusable bags is better for the environment.

The retailers don't make a profit if they give the money to charity - and they still have to pay for the bags in the first place. A lot of them do that over here.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:There's no doubt that not providing bags is a way for retailers to outsource a fairly big cost to the consumer -- but that's capitalism. There's also no doubt that bringing your own reusable bags is better for the environment.

The retailers don't make a profit if they give the money to charity - and they still have to pay for the bags in the first place. A lot of them do that over here.

They're still getting good publicity out of it, then. Companies don't willingly lower their own profits.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

They're still getting good publicity out of it, then. Companies don't willingly lower their own profits.

What publicity?

Retailers didn't used to make a profit on bags - quite the opposite because they gave them away free. Now they're using fewer bags because people remember to take their own, so they are saving money that way, and they're giving the proceeds to charity.

I don't get why people have such a downer on retailers re this issue. It's the law over here that retailers who employ over a certain number of people must charge for plastic carrier bags.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

What publicity?

Retailers didn't used to make a profit on bags - quite the opposite because they gave them away free. Now they're using fewer bags because people remember to take their own, so they are saving money that way, and they're giving the proceeds to charity.

I don't get why people have such a downer on retailers re this issue. It's the law over here that retailers who employ over a certain number of people must charge for plastic carrier bags.

I'm all for the practice, but don't fool yourself -- they didn't give away bags, they were charging enough to cover the cost of bags. Now they're pocketing the money rather than providing a service for it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

What publicity?

I'm all for the practice, but don't fool yourself -- they didn't give away bags, they were charging enough to cover the cost of bags. Now they're pocketing the money rather than providing a service for it.

Not if they're giving the money to charity. Rolling Eyes

What about pound shops? I doubt they were making much profit on bags.

Am I talking to myself here or what? Am I not typing what I think I'm typing?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

What publicity?

Stores aren't making any more of a charitable investment than what they calculate will result in positive publicity and public good will. They don't do things out of the kindness of their hearts, because companies don't have hearts Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Stores aren't making any more of a charitable investment than what they calculate will result in positive publicity and public good will. They don't do things out of the kindness of their hearts, because companies don't have hearts Smile

Which bit of they give the money they get for bags to charity did you not understand, and which bit of they are forced to charge for bags did you not understand? They have no control over who will buy a bag and who won't. Some people bring their own bags, some people buy bags.

If it bothers you that much take your own effing bag.

It's not rocket science. Either buy some bags, and reuse them, or buy some fold up bags. Alternatively, buy a crate and keep it in your car and then you can use it for your shopping.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:34 pm

ragga....they give it to charity do they...well...so some of them claim....who is monitoring this to see if its true?

moreover there is no mandate for them to do so..no law to say they should

so
we only have their word for it

I'd sooner beleiev Ben when he says we should all face east with our arse in the air
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Lord Foul wrote:ragga....they give it to charity do they...well...so some of them claim....who is monitoring this to see if its true?

so

I'd sooner beleiev Ben when he says we should all face east with our arse in the air

Please yourself. I wouldn't believe him about anything frankly.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:ragga....they give it to charity do they...well...so some of them claim....who is monitoring this to see if its true?

so

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased Crying-baby-o
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:47 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Is that you every morning?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Is that you every morning?

Sorry, I thought it was David Cameron ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Only certain retailers have to charge....many don't but they are...and what they do with the money is up to them...no doubt keeping it as added profit.
M&S are charging for bags for fresh cut flowers...which are on the government list of being exempt from the carrier bag charge.
My local store ran out of the bags for life a few days after the new charge was brought in....forcing people to buy the non biodegradable ones....which sort of defeats the purpose.

So I am currently boycotting M&S.Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased 4233679493

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:00 pm

Such a fuss over a bag. Do none of you have the sense to take your own?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Going to ask for one of these for Christmas Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased Girl_l10

http://www.radley.co.uk/in-stitches-foldaway-tote/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=googlebase&utm_campaign=googlebase&_$ja=tsid:45542&_$ja=cgid:14824584504|tsid:44544|cid:190449744|lid:75817798104|nw:g|crid:81452859984|rnd:11289292485933346761|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1&gclid=CjwKEAiAmqayBRDLgsfGiMmkxT0SJADHFUhPGqKUow-IuAcbzJeWnnHxqgJt70qzGbBm8JHuR1pCfBoCokXw_wcB

I always recycle carrier bags, I use them as bin liners too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Such a fuss over a bag. Do none of you have the sense to take your own?

I do take my own bags, and I support bags not being provided at stores. However, don't think they're not making money off of it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:18 pm

I don't really care if they're making money or not. The idea is to cut down on the use of plastic bags generally, and charging for them does work. I'm tired of seeing carrier bags strewn in trees or around the streets because people are so slobby and inconsiderate.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Stormee wrote:WHY did OUR government BAN stores from giving them away without extra charge to customers purchasing their goods?

Why does OUR misgovernment not allow paper bags to be given.

I bought 2 pair trousers today at Debenhams, the girl who served us thought it funny when I mentioned having to carry them over my arm outside into the car park.

If paper bags were given away, they would end up all over the place as well.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Stormee wrote:We travel around doing 20000 miles a year approx as my wife is a shopaholic, no joke.

We have purposely looked and looked and looked for plastic carrier bags strewn around our streets, towns or whatever and have seen very few.
We do see black bin bags, Maccy D cartons, KFC stuff, and loads of plastic drinks containers.

I challenge you all, the next few days you are out, PURPOSELY look for plastic carrier bags ONLY and tell us how many.

There aren't so many now because of the charge - which was the idea behind it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Such a fuss over a bag. Do none of you have the sense to take your own?

I always take my 'bags for life' but they don't last that long anyway......when they are no longer usable the idea is that the shop replaces them free of charge.
If a shop cant replace them (because they have run out a few days after the new law was brought in Rolling Eyes ) they then sell the ones that are not bio degradable. Rolling Eyes

Obviously the shop not the customer is at fault.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Stormee wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Paper bags rot away, Ragga.

Think of all the trees which would have to be cut down.

I don't get why you have such an issue with this. Bags cause pollution, and there's simply no need for people to keep on and on collecting another one every time they go shopping.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Syl wrote:

I always take my 'bags for life' but they don't last that long anyway......when they are no longer usable the idea is that the shop replaces them free of charge.
If a shop cant replace them (because they have run out a few days after the new law was brought in Rolling Eyes ) they then sell the ones that are not bio degradable. Rolling Eyes

So buy your own which last for ages.

I have two fold up bags which I take with me, and they don't wear out. You are of course free to buy more than two.

Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased Fold-up-shopping-tote-bag
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Stormee wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Paper bags rot away, Ragga.

That's 'biodegradable' Storm. Just follow the sea gulls. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:44 pm

feelthelove wrote:Going to ask for one of these for Christmas Shops NOT Wrapping Clothes Purchased Girl_l10

http://www.radley.co.uk/in-stitches-foldaway-tote/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=googlebase&utm_campaign=googlebase&_$ja=tsid:45542&_$ja=cgid:14824584504|tsid:44544|cid:190449744|lid:75817798104|nw:g|crid:81452859984|rnd:11289292485933346761|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1&gclid=CjwKEAiAmqayBRDLgsfGiMmkxT0SJADHFUhPGqKUow-IuAcbzJeWnnHxqgJt70qzGbBm8JHuR1pCfBoCokXw_wcB

I always recycle carrier bags, I use them as bin liners too.

I miss them, cause I recycle too. Fortunately, the produce and meat departments still have thin plastic bags and I can use the larger size for bin liners.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

I have two fold up bags which I take with me, and they don't wear out. You are of course free to buy more than two.

The bags for life are supposed to last for ages....I re use them till they are no longer fit for purpose.
My point is the shops encourage their usage.....so they should make sure they have replacements.
Also certain goods like loose veg, fresh cut flowers, fresh meat which isn't vacuum packed for eg should be carried separately anyway.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

The bags for life are supposed to last for ages....I re use them till they are no longer fit for purpose.
My point is the shops encourage their usage.....so they should make sure they have replacements.
Also certain goods like loose veg, fresh cut flowers, fresh meat which isn't vacuum packed for eg should be carried separately anyway.

They probably had a high demand for them. You can't expect everyone to be perfect all of the time - not even retailers.

I don't buy flowers or meat so I can't help you there. Loose veg can go straight into a bag, or take a small sandwich bag with you in case they run out.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:18 pm

I do my bit by taking an  adequate number of  bags for life....I just expect the shop to exchange them as and when the need arises....as they pledge to.
I am also annoyed at the way M&S refuse to accept the new law and flout the rules by not supplying bags for fresh flowers....all the other supermarkets do to my knowledge.

My boycott wont make a tad bit of difference to them obviously.....but it makes me feel better. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:25 am

I don't know who gets the money but what I will say that there are hardly any plastic shopping bags blowing about the streets these days or seeing them trapped in hedges or trees or lying by the roadside filled with crap.

And all because of 5p Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:27 am

Syl wrote:I do my bit by taking an  adequate number of  bags for life....I just expect the shop to exchange them as and when the need arises....as they pledge to.
I am also annoyed at the way M&S refuse to accept the new law and flout the rules by not supplying bags for fresh flowers....all the other supermarkets do to my knowledge.

My boycott wont make a tad bit of difference to them obviously.....but it makes me feel better. Razz

Until there's something you want that you can only get in M&S ...
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:28 am

Irn Bru wrote:I don't know who gets the money but what I will say that there are hardly any plastic shopping bags blowing about the streets these days or seeing them trapped in hedges or trees or lying by the roadside filled with crap.

And all because of 5p Laughing

I think it's great that people are too mean to pay 5p for a bag - it really works. Laughing

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am

Stormee wrote:Prior to our misgovernments ban on plastic carrier bags there were few littering our towns, cities and countryside, it is real goose created  by big business USING Scamoron their puppet to increase their profits by them not giving away FREE bags which WE were paying for anyway.

Ladies of the forum, when you go into a store to buy your yearly ball gown and have to leave said store in the rain or snow with it draped over ones arm you may not be too happy and the males buying a suit will not either.

A lot of them were going into landfill though - where you can't see them. Seriously, shops were giving out so many bags all day, every day, and it was ridiculous.

Take a look at the big shops - they are giving the money to charity, they're not keeping it.

In the unlikely event that I would go out shopping for a ball gown, I would of course take a bag with me. I don't understand why you seem to be incapable of doing that.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:I do my bit by taking an  adequate number of  bags for life....I just expect the shop to exchange them as and when the need arises....as they pledge to.

Until there's something you want that you can only get in M&S ...

Well I did like their Christmas food Laughing ....but no shop is irreplaceable.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Stormee wrote:Prior to our misgovernments ban on plastic carrier bags there were few littering our towns, cities and countryside, it is real goose created  by big business USING Scamoron their puppet to increase their profits by them not giving away FREE bags which WE were paying for anyway.

Ladies of the forum, when you go into a store to buy your yearly ball gown and have to leave said store in the rain or snow with it draped over ones arm you may not be too happy and the males buying a suit will not either.

A lot of them were going into landfill though - where you can't see them. Seriously, shops were giving out so many bags all day, every day, and it was ridiculous.

Take a look at the big shops - they are giving the money to charity, they're not keeping it.

In the unlikely event that I would go out shopping for a ball gown, I would of course take a bag with me. I don't understand why you seem to be incapable of doing that.

Well on the scale of things it's not really important, but it's inconvenient sometimes.
For eg....I went to a shopping outlet, bought a winter coat for me, shoes and jeans for him...the assistant says "Have you brought your own bag?"....well No, on account of it would have to be bloody duvet sized to fit everything in.

When you spend a lot of money it's just so pathetic of the shops to charge for a bag.
They should invest in biodegradable ones for large bulky items.....problem solved.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Primary don't charge because their bags are made of paper.
But then, so are their clothes.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next