NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners

2 posters

Go down

Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners Empty Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:33 pm

The clocks are set to go back and we will all be able to enjoy an extra hour in bed – however campaigners argue that daylight savings must be scrapped to save lives.

For almost a century, the UK has turned set back the time in October in order to allow for more usable daylight.

This year, the clocks will go back at 2:00am on Sunday 25 October.

But the practise was introduced in post-war Britain, when rations and the amount of coal factories used for daylight was an issue.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) warns that a more pressing issue now is the number of road traffic accidents that daylight savings appears to cause, citing an annual spike in incidents after late October.

The latest Department for Transport (DfT) figures show that 66 pedestrians were killed in November and 73 in December of 2014, compared with 39 in October and 29 in September.

The RoSPA is pushing for the UK to adopt a Single/Double Summer Time (SDST) system, which would see the time move one hour ahead throughout the year. Under these plans, the UK would operate under GMT+1 in winter, and GMT+2 in the summer.

However, Scotland is reluctant to accept the proposals, as the northern nation benefits from lighter mornings.

Tom Mullarkey, chief executive at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), told The Independent: “We have a duty to protect our children and other pedestrians and road users from death and injury, and we can save more people with such a simple change.

“More pedestrians are killed during the afternoon school run than in the morning, so we feel that by creating extra hours of daylight to cover this period we can prevent many more lives being lost and the untold devastation that can cause.

Addressing how the plans could help the economy and the evironment, he added: “A change to SDST would reduce CO2 pollution by at least 447,000 tonnes each year, increase working-day overlap with Europe and stockmarkets in Asia, and allow an extended tourism season, boosting the sector by an estimated £3billion. Not to mention the extra hours of daylight that we will all have to enjoy the outdoors.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/daylight-savings-why-we-shouldnt-turn-clocks-back-according-to-safety-campaigners-a6706721.html

As a full time worker I'd love to see this introduced, I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners Idea10

Back to top Go down

Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners Empty Re: Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Won't they just get killed in the morning instead though?

I think they should stop messing with the clocks though - it's completely pointless.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners Empty Re: Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Won't they just get killed in the morning instead though?

I think they should stop messing with the clocks though - it's completely pointless.

There should be a study to answer that question, I'd love it if we did away with DST. I drive a lot at night and always look forward to the spring and being able to make my "there" trip in daylight ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Won't they just get killed in the morning instead though?

Agreed, plus I never could get the hang of that stupid rhyme...........spring back, fall forward.........fall back, spring forward???????????  

Whatever, at least we get an extra hour in bed Daylight Savings: Why the clocks shouldn't turn back, according to safety campaigners Autumn11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down