NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet 'Trolling' Sees 150 People Jailed

Go down

Internet 'Trolling' Sees 150 People Jailed Empty Internet 'Trolling' Sees 150 People Jailed

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 4:14 pm

New figures have revealed that 1,209 people were convicted of internet "trolling" last year – equivalent to three guilty verdicts per day.

Of those convicted, 155 were jailed for sending messages or other material which was "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character".

The offence falls under Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003, which was rarely used before the invention of social media networks in recent years.

The Ministry of Justice data shows that conviction rates have increased eightfold in the past decade, following several high-profile cases of online abuse.

"Trolls" who received custodial sentences were jailed for 2.2 months on average.

Professor Lilian Edwards of Strathclyde University has said the spate of prosecutions is "obviously related to what has happened with social media". Only seven people were jailed for such offences in 2004.

She added: "This was a relatively obscure provision before the internet. You would have been talking about poison telephone calls and there were relatively few of those."

Under the Act, the "persistent misuse" of phone calls and emails is also a crime – especially if it causes the victim needless anxiety, annoyance or inconvenience.

The Crown Prosecution Service issued clearer guidance on "trolling" in 2013, after the conviction of a Twitter user was overturned.

Paul Chambers had been found guilty after using the social network to write: "Crap! Robin Hood airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit to get your s*** together, otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!"

The High Court later rejected a ruling that this constituted menacing communication, as it could reasonably be brushed aside as a "silly joke" or "ridiculous banter".

Online abuse came under further scrutiny when Stella Creasy, a Labour MP, was branded "a witch" on Twitter – and was threatened with rape.

Meanwhile, activist Caroline Criado-Perez was told to "go kill yourself" during a campaign to feature Jane Austen on the new £10 banknote, and also received threats of sexual violence.

At the time, she described the incident as "really, really disturbing".

http://news.sky.com/story/1489913/internet-trolling-sees-150-people-jailed

Back to top Go down

Internet 'Trolling' Sees 150 People Jailed Empty Re: Internet 'Trolling' Sees 150 People Jailed

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 4:34 pm

wow and how many people a day in the world go on the inernet, those figures make homosexuality look rampant not minority..

Back to top Go down

Internet 'Trolling' Sees 150 People Jailed Empty Re: Internet 'Trolling' Sees 150 People Jailed

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 4:44 pm

heavenlyfatheragain wrote:wow and how many people a day in the world go on the inernet, those figures make homosexuality look rampant not minority..
homosexuality ?i am not sure homosexuality is the underlying cause of trolling or homosexuality the only target

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 pm

korban dallas wrote:
heavenlyfatheragain wrote:wow and how many people a day in the world go on the inernet, those figures make homosexuality look rampant not minority..
homosexuality ?i am not sure homosexuality is the underlying cause of trolling or homosexuality the only target
I hope it isn't....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 6:12 pm

I dont see the connection???

anyone?????????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 6:17 pm

darknessss wrote:I dont see the connection???

anyone?????????
Sorry can`t help with that

Internet 'Trolling' Sees 150 People Jailed Face_p10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 8:04 pm

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!

FUCKING LOVE IT HF!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 8:16 pm

uhhh ohhh

bout time you went on another tour shady......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 10:48 pm

darknessss wrote:uhhh ohhh  

bout time you went on another tour shady......

Shouldn't be too long now Victor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Shady wrote:

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!

FUCKING LOVE IT HF!! Laughing
thank you Shady I try to bring a little joy in to peoples lives..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 10:51 pm

I always know when you need another tour shady......the pirate escapes.....

well , whatever you do and wherever you go, stay safe, take care......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 10:54 pm

darknessss wrote:I always know when you need another tour shady......the pirate escapes.....

well , whatever you do and wherever you go, stay safe, take care......

Well that's very nice of you Victor.Although we don't communicate with each other very often,I'm thinking that's about the nicest thing that anybody has ever said to me on the various sites we have inhabited.

Thank you.I'm not due to leave just yet but it will be soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down