NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet Trolls Who Set Up Fake Profiles To Humiliate People Could Face Criminal Charges, CPS Says

+2
HoratioTarr
Raggamuffin
6 posters

Go down

Internet Trolls Who Set Up Fake Profiles To Humiliate People Could Face Criminal Charges, CPS Says Empty Internet Trolls Who Set Up Fake Profiles To Humiliate People Could Face Criminal Charges, CPS Says

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 am

Trolls who set up fake profiles using their victims' details or to attacking others anonymously could now face criminal charges, as prosecutors raise their game in fighting online harassment and abuse. As the debate of how far authorities should go in policing people's behaviour on the internet continues, new Crown Prosecution guidelines mean such activity could amount to an offence such as grossly offensive communication or harassment, the Press Association reports. The guidelines say: "For example, it may be a criminal offence if a profile is created under the name of the victim with fake information uploaded which, if believed, could damage their reputation and humiliate them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/03/03/internet-trolls-fake-profiles-humiliate-people-criminal-charges-cps_n_9371548.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Internet Trolls Who Set Up Fake Profiles To Humiliate People Could Face Criminal Charges, CPS Says Empty Re: Internet Trolls Who Set Up Fake Profiles To Humiliate People Could Face Criminal Charges, CPS Says

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:00 am

Oh that's interesting. I know of a few people who have done that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Internet Trolls Who Set Up Fake Profiles To Humiliate People Could Face Criminal Charges, CPS Says Empty Re: Internet Trolls Who Set Up Fake Profiles To Humiliate People Could Face Criminal Charges, CPS Says

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Oh that's interesting. I know of a few people who have done that.

There's many a man duped by fake rampant totty too.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:14 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Oh that's interesting. I know of a few people who have done that.

Ooooh yes, I remember that one. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:17 pm

I think Israellycool would fit right in there.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

She had a balcony, and everything!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:22 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

To be fair, those daft men deserved it really. They were only going on those photos she posted - which weren't pics of her. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

To be fair, those daft men deserved it really. They were only going on those photos she posted - which weren't pics of her. Laughing

yes.  One even destroyed his marriage.  There's many a man lost his all due to being led by his testicles.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:40 pm

I can't see how the police have time to chase internet trolls?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Internet trolls can ruin peoples lives.
The police should clamp down hard and make examples of a few so others soon realise they are not invincible just because they are shielded by a computer.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:35 pm

eddie wrote:I can't see how the police have time to chase internet trolls?

Do you know I have to say that is an extremely viable point 

We all place ourselves in the firing line by going onto forums, social media

Granted nobody should suffer any abuse, and abuse can lead to some tragic events, but is not time better spent on the streets Policing?

Should we if facing such a situation then take yourself out of the firing line?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:50 pm

This is quite specific though. It's not just about harassment or using fake information, it's about impersonating someone in order to harass or humiliate that person. Of course the real person can go on the internet and say it's not them or whatever, but they shouldn't need to do that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:This is quite specific though. It's not just about harassment or using fake information, it's about impersonating someone in order to harass or humiliate that person. Of course the real person can go on the internet and say it's not them or whatever, but they shouldn't need to do that.

I get your point Rags, but there is a danger that this opens out further to more aspects being defined as crimes.
I agree that who ever impersonates someone to target them with hate is utterly wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Didge wrote:

Granted nobody should suffer any abuse, and abuse can lead to some tragic events, but is not time better spent on the streets Policing?

It ps just not viable is it? Police recieving complaints about someone trolling you in a forum? Ok it's not nice I guess, but unless it's life-threatening then....? Don't see how police, can police it tbh.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:This is quite specific though. It's not just about harassment or using fake information, it's about impersonating someone in order to harass or humiliate that person. Of course the real person can go on the internet and say it's not them or whatever, but they shouldn't need to do that.

I get your point Rags, but there is a danger that this opens out further to more aspects being defined as crimes.
I agree that who ever impersonates someone to target them with hate is utterly wrong

Yes, I think the police will eventually need a whole new unit just to deal with all this stuff. Laughing I think it's mostly Facebook where young people put their lives out there and invite the world in to share what they've said, but even on forums I've seen issues where the police have been involved.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Syl wrote:Internet trolls can ruin peoples lives.
The police should clamp down hard and make examples of a few so others soon  realise they are not invincible just because they are shielded by a computer.

We all leave a digital footprint
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:34 pm

Didge wrote:

Agreed. It's like when people used to venture into public markets and learn pretty quickly that you have to watch out for yourself. I'd much rather police protect people from violence and property loss than worry about sockpuppets.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Yes, I think the police will eventually need a whole new unit just to deal with all this stuff. Laughing  I think it's mostly Facebook where young people put their lives out there and invite the world in to share what they've said, but even on forums I've seen issues where the police have been involved.
they has always been a unit for this raggs its called the cyber crimes unit the problem was the law regarding this kind of thing. its basically identity theft for malicious purposes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:48 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:Internet trolls can ruin peoples lives.
The police should clamp down hard and make examples of a few so others soon  realise they are not invincible just because they are shielded by a computer.

We all leave a digital footprint
Quite
some bigger than others

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:15 am

sassy wrote:I think Israellycool would fit right in there.

Razz

Too True,  that  !!!
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:24 am

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

It ps just not viable is it? Police recieving complaints about someone trolling you in a forum? Ok it's not nice I guess, but unless it's life-threatening then....? Don't see how police, can police it tbh.

The police and other authorities in both Australia and the US have had some successful prosecutions in the last couple of years, when the 'trolling' has crossed over into other criminal activities, e.g. identity theft, invasion of privacy, vilification, incitement to criminal actions, stalking, actual vilence and sexual assaults, national security and defence issues..

Suspect
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down