NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Camerons promise to ensure 1 3rd of his cabinet are female actually sexist??

3 posters

Go down

Is Camerons promise to ensure 1 3rd of his cabinet are female actually sexist?? Empty Is Camerons promise to ensure 1 3rd of his cabinet are female actually sexist??

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 9:33 pm

surely this means that the job will not go to the best candidate but it will go to a female candidate, which must be sexist...

Back to top Go down

Is Camerons promise to ensure 1 3rd of his cabinet are female actually sexist?? Empty Re: Is Camerons promise to ensure 1 3rd of his cabinet are female actually sexist??

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 9:44 pm

heavenlyfatheragain wrote:surely this means that the job will not go to the best candidate but it will go to a female candidate, which must be sexist...

Only if you start from the assumption that all or most of the best candidates are men ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Is Camerons promise to ensure 1 3rd of his cabinet are female actually sexist?? Empty Re: Is Camerons promise to ensure 1 3rd of his cabinet are female actually sexist??

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 9:51 pm

hmmm   its a good question.....

imposed "quotas" aka "reverse discrimination" is a contentious subject ....

one doesnt need to star with any "preconceived notions" about who's best ...thats just lazy lefty thinking.....

he should choose the best for the job...regardless of whatever "label" can or might be used

whether that ends up with all male all female or all green spotted outer mongolian woodpeckers is quite frankly irrelevant

saying and doing anything else is merely pandering to "whims "

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 9:56 pm

darknessss wrote:hmmm   its a good question.....

imposed "quotas" aka "reverse discrimination" is a contentious subject ....

one doesnt need to star with any "preconceived notions" about who's best ...thats just lazy lefty thinking.....

he should choose the best for the job...regardless of whatever "label" can or might be used

whether that ends up with all male all female or all green spotted outer mongolian woodpeckers is quite frankly irrelevant

saying and doing anything else is merely pandering to "whims "

exactly, if two people went for a job and one got it just because they were female that would be discrimination...

which is what he has set up to do to buy votes...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenlyfatheragain wrote:surely this means that the job will not go to the best candidate but it will go to a female candidate, which must be sexist...

Only if you start from the assumption that all or most of the best candidates are men ...

but it will sway the decision even if the candidates are of equal ability, i thought that was illegal to do...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 9:58 pm

Well. If Britain is truly an equal society, there should be roughly as many male and female qualified candidates. So I think the 1/3 benchmark is discriminating against women, actually.

Unless the British believe in only having dicks in their government, which I think there's evidence for ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:05 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Well. If Britain is truly an equal society, there should be roughly as many male and female qualified candidates. So I think the 1/3 benchmark is discriminating against women, actually.

Unless the British believe in only having dicks in their government, which I think there's evidence for ...

being an equal society means equal right if the men are better candidates they should get the job if the women are better candidates they should get the job anything other than that is sexist...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 10:08 pm

heavenlyfatheragain wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Well. If Britain is truly an equal society, there should be roughly as many male and female qualified candidates. So I think the 1/3 benchmark is discriminating against women, actually.

being an equal society means equal right if the men are better candidates they should get the job if the women are better candidates they should get the job anything other than that is sexist...

Right, and an equal society would be expected to produce equally qualified candidates for government from the ranks of both men and women. And since each gender makes up about half of the country, the country (if it's really equal) would have about half men, half women in government.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Right, and an equal society would be expected to produce equally qualified candidates for government from the ranks of both men and women. And since each gender makes up about half of the country, the country (if it's really equal) would have about half men, half women in government.

not at all, why should it, if certain people are not drawn to a given profession that is there decision and it is sexist too assume they should have too.

not many men complain that by far the greatest percentages of secretaries are women, so companies should be forced to readdress that balance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:13 pm

so...you think that the sexes are identical (as opposed to equal) then?????????

pheweeee.....you are someone out to be dissillusioned,,.......

what about the fact that women (in general) are less political than men...so less will become "politicians"

what about the fact that womens preference for a party is bound (in general , on average) going to differ fom men....so there will be more  or less women in one party as compared to another

so there are NOT going to be roughly as many male and female qualified candidates...are there

there is bound to be a bias due to the sex of the candidate

EVEN BEFORE we consider any sexist bias one way or the other...

for exactly the same reason as there are more ecomnomists in politics than scientists

politics appeals to the economist mind set
it doesnt to the scientific mindset

so there is a natural bias...

jeepers its not rocket science

you are arguing (as usual for a lefty) from a convincing but utterly false premise

NOW..I'm not saying that a sexist bias doesnt exist...because we all know it damn well does and needs correcting

but the way to do that ISNT by the imposition of "reverse discrimination" which does in fact lead to less able people being rammed into posts they are not suited to in order to fill a quota....

its like ...oh we havnt used enough round pegs...pass me some square ones.....but boss the holes are round...I dont care gimme some square ones......and that bloody big hammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 pm

So British women aren't interested in getting involved in the running of their country, huh?

Really? Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:29 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:So British women aren't interested in getting involved in the running of their country, huh?

Really? Smile

nearly 40% of the country couldn't care less who runs the country...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:31 pm

more lefty hyperbolics or just plain bollocks

where .....exactly............ did i say "British women aren't interested in getting involved in the running of their country"

I think you will find that actually I SAID
" women (in general) are less political than men...so less will become "politicians"

even if that factor is only 10% its going to have an effect...

coupled with an undeniable difference in political preference its going to have an even larger difference...

Is this the new lefty tactic.....be deliberately stupid and obtuse
and deliberatly "reinterpret and reword" anything you dont wish to think about/cant cope with/doesnt fit into your imaginary world??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:So British women aren't interested in getting involved in the running of their country, huh?

Really? Smile

nearly 40% of the country couldn't care less who runs the country...

now theres a point...but i bet that isnt all that divided ......

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 10:35 pm

darknessss wrote:more lefty hyperbolics  or just plain bollocks

where .....exactly............ did i say "British women aren't interested in getting involved in the running of their country"

" women (in general) are less political than men...so less will become "politicians"

coupled with an undeniable difference in political preference its going to have an even larger difference...

and deliberatly "reinterpret and reword" anything you dont wish to think about/cant cope with/doesnt fit into your imaginary world??

So what you're saying is that in general, British women prefer to keep to their knitting, fashion magazines and not doing math than they are interested in helping run their country?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

So what you're saying is that in general, British women prefer to keep to their knitting, fashion magazines and not doing math than they are interested in helping run their country?

now that is a sexist comment...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

where ...exactly ...did I say......"that in general, British women prefer to keep to their knitting, fashion magazines and not doing math than they are interested in helping run their country?"???????

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 10:58 pm

darknessss wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

where ...exactly ...did I say......"that in general, British women prefer to keep to their knitting, fashion magazines and not doing math than they are interested in helping run their country?"???????

Oh, my goodness! You're saying that when people twist around your values and make it out as though you support things you don't, that ... is ... upsetting to you?

You know, it's taking a great effort, but I can almost kind of sort of see how that might suck.

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t9511-its-true-lefties-can-inhabit-two-opposing-positions-at-the-same-time

I'm sorry, Dark. I will strive in the future not to claim you support backwards ideas when you, in fact, do not.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 11:04 pm

erm ..whats this ...wriggle wriggle lefty??

I merely want you to be sure of what i actually posted

I mean ...one cant tust a lefty to actually understand anything more complicated than the most basic concepts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 11:04 pm

darknessss wrote:erm ..whats this ...wriggle wriggle lefty??

I merely want you to be sure of what i actually posted

I mean ...one cant tust a lefty to actually understand anything more complicated than the most basic concepts

You can't really be this slow Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 11:11 pm

well I dont think I actually twisted anyones words in that thread you show as an example

I may have spread the attribution around a bit but you cannot say I falsely attributed any comment to anyone...

I didnt say YOU said" whatever"

so your little attempt at deflection is a E- fail

see you lefties are quite happy to hang even historical vileness by so called right wing (fascistgroups) onto the right

but you cry foul when "one of your own" is held up to ridicule you all....
you cannot deny this moron is a lefty.....

so in compliance with the universal rule of forum politics.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 11:14 pm

darknessss wrote:well I dont think I actually twisted anyones words in that thread you show as an example

I may have spread the attribution around a bit but you cannot say I falsely attributed any comment to anyone...

see you lefties are quite happy to hang even historical vileness by so called right wing (fascistgroups) onto the right

Yeah, I think you might have spread that attribution around just a little bit! Smile I think you actually get up to that an awful lot here, where you rarely see people on the left take some lunatic right-winger and make him or her the poster child for conservatism.

It's not really fair and I don't think most people see it as anything other than mudslinging in the first place ...

I know you're not being sexist in this thread, just for the record.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 11:25 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
darknessss wrote:well I dont think I actually twisted anyones words in that thread you show as an example

Yeah, I think you might have spread that attribution around just a little bit! Smile I think you actually get up to that an awful lot here, where you rarely see people on the left take some lunatic right-winger and make him or her the poster child for conservatism.

It's not really fair and I don't think most people see it as anything other than mudslinging in the first place ...

oh no ...of course not Rolling Eyes

countless threads linking various R/W posters to the tea party and YOUR particular bunch of R/W crazies...

I mean you chaps have it off to a fine art, thank god they are held in general to a minority....

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 11:29 pm

darknessss wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

oh no ...of course not  Rolling Eyes

countless threads linking various R/W posters to the tea party and YOUR particular bunch of R/W crazies...

I mean you chaps have it off to a fine art, thank god they are held in general to a minority....

I stand by what I said. At any rate, I'm glad you've finally decided to stop pretending you're not a right-winger Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 11:35 pm

you have NO idea of my politics...

nor how excruciatingly and exactly fairly I would apply them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 11:36 pm

the one good thing is ...NO -one would be in any doubt as to what was what

see I am not discriminatory about black or white

BUT I hate with a passion "grey"

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 pm

darknessss wrote:the one good thing is ...NO -one would be in any doubt as to what was what

And you've no doubt seen my posts about the fallacies of your "gray" theory ... but you keep misrepresenting what I believe on that front, too.

Poor baby -- he can dish it out but he can't take it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 11:42 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
darknessss wrote:the one good thing is ...NO -one would be in any doubt as to what was what

And you've no doubt seen my posts about the fallacies of your "gray" theory ... but you keep misrepresenting what I believe on that front, too.

Poor baby -- he can dish it out but he can't take it.

no perhaps i mis worded that ...or you were thinking to widely ....

I'm not on about the leftist "grey goo " here

I'm talking about policy and law and things like that...

as in that other noisy thread Smile

Either OR.................................. no "in between compromise"

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 13, 2015 11:53 pm

Oh, so you're saying subtlety and context aren't for you?

So this:

... is more psychological deflection than anything else Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 12:05 am

subtlety and context have no place in policy and law

for instance

both in parliament and a court of law...supposedly......

"the meaning of a word shall be the plain meaning of the word in english"

and the arbiter in any dispute is supposed to be the OED

not that it actually works like that....unfortunately

nor does this ( not allowing subtlety and context) disallow "mitigation" etc....

in fact correctly applied it strengthens such things..

that said ...

the same subtlety and context in open speech is a seperate matter (since that would otherwise impinge on "freedom of speech" by constaining how someone expressed themselves)

you really are not very good at this are you ...you will have to buck your ideas up.... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu May 14, 2015 8:41 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Yes of course, because there are no other alternatives.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 14, 2015 8:43 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Hosanna on High, if I have to explain everything to people here it's not nearly as fun. Where's that vaunted British sense for sarcasm I hear so much about?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 14, 2015 8:57 am

darknessss wrote:subtlety and context have no place in policy and law

for instance

nor does this ( not allowing subtlety and context) disallow "mitigation" etc....

that said ...

the same subtlety and context in open speech is a seperate matter (since that would otherwise impinge on "freedom of speech" by constaining how someone expressed themselves)

you really are not very good at this are you ...you will have to buck your ideas up.... Laughing

You can save your legalistic rules-worshiping bullshit; people like you are the ones who would've kept black people enslaved in the U.S. because it was the law, gosh-darnnit, and that cannot ever be questioned! Segregation is what the important men who came before us decided and society will crumble if we question their supremacy!

No wonder you like Lord of the Rings so much. Everybody stays in their place, keeps with their own and worships their dead ancestors ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu May 14, 2015 9:09 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Hosanna on High, if I have to explain everything to people here it's not nearly as fun. Where's that vaunted British sense for sarcasm I hear so much about?

Sorry - I'm still getting used to the concept of you having a sense of humour. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 14, 2015 9:17 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Sorry - I'm still getting used to the concept of you having a sense of humour. Laughing

You might want to look back at a lot of my posts and consider them in the light of this new information Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
darknessss wrote:subtlety and context have no place in policy and law

for instance

that said ...

You can save your legalistic rules-worshiping bullshit; people like you are the ones who would've kept black people enslaved in the U.S. because it was the law, gosh-darnnit, and that cannot ever be questioned! Segregation is what the important men who came before us decided and society will crumble if we question their supremacy!

No wonder you like Lord of the Rings so much. Everybody stays in their place, keeps with their own and worships their dead ancestors ...

idiot....

there is nothing in what I say that in anyway precludes changing what is wrong, indeed it can speed up that process simply because it prevents people fiddling with the law to suit themselves

It prevents the situation of something being decide on as wrong but the wrong continuing because some crafty lawyer can twist words around to mean something else....

Under My system...upon it being decided that slavery was wrong there would have been an instant absolute and enforced cessation....

no challenges, nor arguing ...done.....

look at you lot and your prescious "free speech" rules that allows discrimination openly

ours are bad becasue they are too nebulous the other way....

yours however permit and promulgate abuse....

I'm talking laws with NO interpretation, strictly and excruciatingly fairly applied.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 1:19 pm

So you wish to make absolute laws and how do you manage that with free speech and hate speech where they obviously conflict?
If you allow the later to be free speech, then you allow anyone to be abused with hate. Nobody is afforded any protection from hate speech and thus within school, work etc many can suffer under an absolute rule system you advocate which clearly would never work. Sometimes absolute rules do not work, because there will be grey areas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu May 14, 2015 1:33 pm

That would depend on whether you include the whole population or number of female Tory MPs. There are 64 female Tory MPs, so if a third of the cabinet is female, women would be over-represented.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

That would depend on whether you include the whole population or number of female Tory MPs. There are 64 female Tory MPs, so if a third of the cabinet is female, women would be over-represented.

That is illogical, as you measurement is based on the Tory party female MP's and not the female population. They are thus very much under represented.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 1:55 pm

ok well lets correct things then...just go and grab however many women at randon and replace male MP's with them to "even up the" cabinet....

then see what happens next time theres a vote

they tried that here

labour "parachuted" a woman in all in the name of equality...

and our ward went from labour majority to tory majority instantly...

NOT becasue it was a woman (since the previous labour MP was a woman and well liked)...but because she was NOT from our area, and was shoved onto us in some sort of "balancing the books " excercise.....
It cost them the ward then, and they failed to get it back this time....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 2:00 pm

darknessss wrote:ok well lets correct things then...just go and grab however many women at randon and replace male MP's with them to "even up the" cabinet....

they tried that here

NOT becasue it was a woman (since the previous labour MP was a woman and well liked)...but because she was NOT from our area, and was shoved onto us in some sort of "balancing the books " excercise.....

Never made a point on the equality around MP's except to Rags poor measurement

You cannot force MP's in as much as you can in regards to ethnicity, sexuality etc.
People are voted in at the end of the day, and its down to a party to see who is best serving an area. Mind you the young SNP lady, smashed her way in with very little experince, so sometimes it can work as seen more with how people voted for the SNP. I though am all for people who are best for the job being voted for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Nemesis wrote:
darknessss wrote:ok well lets correct things then...just go and grab however many women at randon and replace male MP's with them to "even up the" cabinet....

they tried that here

Never made a point on the equality around MP's except to Rags poor measurement

You cannot force MP's in as much as you can in regards to ethnicity, sexuality etc.
People are voted in at the end of the day, and its down to a party to see who is best serving an area. Mind you the young SNP lady, smashed her way in with very little experince, so sometimes it can work as seen more with how people voted for the SNP. I though am all for people who are best for the job being voted for.

exactly

all and any post should be gained on merit.....and nothing else...

if that leads. for whatever reason, to a gender bias or a racial bias then thats how it is

It might of course be prudent to see if there is a sound (as opposed to a convenient political hammer) reason for such biases and address that if necessary...but beyond that there should NOT be "enforced leveling"

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu May 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Man or woman, whoever is best at the job. it's simple really
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 4:41 pm

nicko wrote:Man or woman,   whoever is best at the job.    it's simple really

that's right..

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu May 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Is that man ever able to make a post without being pompous, critical, or up himself?

The point is that if women particularly wanted women in parliament, they would have voted for women, and if women wanted to be MPs they would stand for Parliament.

If, for some bizarre reason, a company decides it wants to hire a proportionate number of men and women, they would hire on the basis of who applied, not on the basis of how many men and women there were in the country.

In any case, it's stupid to decide to have a quota. That's positive discrimination, and it sucks.

Cameron shouldn't have said anything - he should just appoint his cabinet without mentioning the gender of the people he wants.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down