NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Scotland afford independence

+3
nicko
Original Quill
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

Could Scotland afford independence Empty Could Scotland afford independence

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 1:45 am

hell yes

just watched this bbc program and it seems clear to me we would be quids in the Documentary series exploring life in 21st-century Scotland. This programme tells the story of Scotland as a brand and how it is perceived around the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05tv23w/how-scotland-works-2-brand-scotland

Back to top Go down

Could Scotland afford independence Empty Re: Could Scotland afford independence

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 11, 2015 6:45 am

From everything I've seen, the question mainly hinges on what its North Sea territory would be. It should get about 90 percent of the mineral reserves there if it became independent.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 8:23 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:From everything I've seen, the question mainly hinges on what its North Sea territory would be. It should get about 90 percent of the mineral reserves there if it became independent.
yes the question partly hinges on what its North Sea territory would be

but guess what the English government did in 1999

Could Scotland afford independence Sea-gr10

no wonder many scots don`t trust the English government because this is just plain theft plane and simple

by craig on January 11, 2012
According to existing Westminster legislation, English waters stretch at their North Easterly point to 56 degrees 36 minutes north – that is over 100 miles North of the border at Berwick, and North of Dundee.

In 1999 Tony Blair, abetted by the Scottish traitor Donald Dewar, redrew the existing English/Scottish maritime boundary to annex 6,000 square miles of Scottish waters to England, including the Argyll field and six other major oilfields. The idea was specifically to disadvantage Scotland’s case for independence.

The pre-1999 border was already very favourable to England. In 1994, while I was Head of the Maritime Section of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, I had already queried whether it was too favourable to England. I little anticipated that five years later Blair would push it seventy miles North!!

I should explain that I was the Alternate Head of the UK Delegation to the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, and was number 2 on the UK team that negotiated the UK/Ireland, UK/Denmark (Shetland/Faeroes), UK/Belgium, and Channel Islands/France maritime boundaries, as well as a number of British Dependent Territories boundaries. There are very few people in the World – single figures – who have more experience of actual maritime boundary negotiation than me.

The UK’s other maritime boundaries are based on what is known formally in international law as the modified equidistance principle. The England/Scotland border was of course imposed, not negotiated. It is my cold, professional opinion that this border lies outside the range of feasible solutions that could be obtained by genuine negotiation, arbitration or judgement.

It ignores a number of acknowledged precepts in boundary resolutions, most important of which is how to deal with an inverted right angle coastline, as the Scottish coastline is from Elgin to Berwick, with the angle point around Edinburgh. It also fails adequately to close the Forth and Tay estuaries with baselines – by stark contrast to the massive baselines the UK used across the Thames and Stour.

It is essential that Scotland is not conned into accepting the existing England Scotland maritime boundary as a precondition of any independence referendum. This boundary must be subject to negotiation between equal nations post independence, and in my opinion is most likely to end with referral to the International Court of Justice. I have no doubt the outcome would be a very great deal better for Scotland than the Blair-Dewar line, which would cost Scotland billions.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2012/01/scotlandengland-maritime-boundaries/sea-grab/

Last edited by korban dallas on Mon May 11, 2015 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 am

The oil in the North Sea is worth over £1 trillion. There are at least 15-24 billion barrels of oil remaining which will continue long into the 21st century. Over 90% of the tax revenue will go to an independent Scotland which can help to establish a national oil fund for future investment. Recently, Business for Scotland explained the potential for a West coast oil boom that is currently blocked by Westminster. Independence could revitalise the economies of Ayrshire and the Strathclyde region as a whole. Most oil price forecasts are upward, with one of the exceptions being the UK Government’s OBR which has a political motivation to underestimate oil revenue.
Could Scotland afford independence Oil-pr10

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/10-key-economic-facts-that-prove-scotland-will-be-a-wealthy-independent-nation/

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon May 11, 2015 4:40 pm

It doesn't matter what Westminster does. The EU has determined that the oil belongs to Scotland should independence succeed.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon May 11, 2015 4:57 pm

I f we give you the oil will you be satisfied and fcuk off and leave us alone. You scots are all take and no give. We will give you 60,000 of those African migrants as well, you have plenty of room for 'em.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 11, 2015 7:15 pm

nicko wrote:I f we give you the oil will you be satisfied and fcuk off and leave us alone.  You scots are all take and no give.  We will give you 60,000 of those African migrants as well, you have plenty of room for 'em.

Or, to paraphrase William Wallace, "You English are all take and no give." Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
nicko wrote:I f we give you the oil will you be satisfied and fcuk off and leave us alone.  You scots are all take and no give.  We will give you 60,000 of those African migrants as well, you have plenty of room for 'em.

Or, to paraphrase William Wallace, "You English are all take and no give." Smile

You really don't like the English do you?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

l

It's actually starting to feel that way tbh
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Scotland produces more tax revenue per head than England and has paid more into the UK coffers per head than the English for quite a few years now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 11, 2015 9:22 pm

risingsun wrote:Scotland produces more tax revenue per head than England and has paid more into the UK coffers per head than the English for quite a few years now.

They also have more spent on them per head - more than they pay in I think.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Not more than they pay in, because at the moment we get a percentage of the oil revenue, which we would lose, which is why the politicians were so desperate for them to stay. Had nothing to do with them wanting to keep the UK together. Always follow the oil, it's normally at the bottom of everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon May 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
risingsun wrote:Scotland produces more tax revenue per head than England and has paid more into the UK coffers per head than the English for quite a few years now.

They also have more spent on them per head - more than they pay in I think.

That's just identifiable spending. Add in money that is spent on Crossrail etc. and all the other projects down there including running all the Whitehall departments and the government machine and you get the picture. Up until just a couple of years ago London had the highest amount spent per head of population and as there are around 8 million there and only just under 5 million Scots then maybe we are getting a raw deal lol.

Public spending is divided into regions of which Scotland is one.

Could Scotland afford independence Public10
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 pm

I love watching the lefties squirm & come up with these articles about Scottish independence.

Many of you conveniently seem to forget that more Jocks voted to stay within the Union last September than those who want to leave.

But carry on squirming lefties as your two racist parties sink below the waves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon May 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Shady wrote:I love watching the lefties squirm & come up with these articles about Scottish independence.

Many of you conveniently seem to forget that more Jocks voted to stay within the Union last September than those who want to leave.

That was because they didn't want to take away your lifeline. Cameron was almost on his bended knees pleading for us to stay. We're like that up here - always willing to help out where we can.
Don't worry about it - we have no plans o leave at the moment so less of the cheek Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Shady wrote:I love watching the lefties squirm & come up with these articles about Scottish independence.

That was because they didn't want to take away your lifeline. Cameron was almost on his bended knees pleading for us to stay. We're like that up here - always willing to help out where we can.
Don't worry about it - we have no plans o leave at the moment so less of the cheek Laughing

Our lifeline! HAR HAR HAR!

Irn I'm no Cameron fan but I was glad to see Labour & the LibDems smashed & it will be interesting to see how Wee Jimmy Krankie & friends will play out at Westminster.

But the signs are,that the SNP are a flash in the pan & Camerons recent rise to real power will see off the SNP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 11, 2015 10:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I like the English. I like William Wallace, too.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon May 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Shady wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Irn I'm no Cameron fan but I was glad to see Labour & the LibDems smashed & it will be interesting to see how Wee Jimmy Krankie & friends will play out at Westminster.

But the signs are,that the SNP are a flash in the pan & Camerons recent rise to real power will see off the SNP.

It will be more interesting to see how Jimmy Clitheroe gets on in No.10 with his wafer thin majority. There are Tory back-benchers who will make his life hell with their demands whatever promises they are making now to be good.

Try not to worry about it just yet.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Shady wrote:

It will be more interesting to see how Jimmy Clitheroe gets on in No.10 with his wafer thin majority. There are Tory back-benchers who will make his life hell with their demands whatever promises they are making now to be good.

I tend to worry more about projectiles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon May 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Shady wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Shady wrote:

I tend to worry more about projectiles.

We won't use them - promise.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Wed May 13, 2015 8:48 am

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-scotlands-oil-wealth/17811

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28857939

scotlandlandshire does not produce any oil, various private companies find it, develop it and get it out of the ground. ScotlandLandshire would just tax it.

there may be £1trillion of oil left, scotlandlandshires share of that would be whatever the tax rate is surly?

of course that £1trillion of oil would be far harder and more expensive to get out of the ground so after costs the profits that are taxable may be much lower.

Well done labour for ensuring that there is an amicable share of the oil,that great britain helped develop all those years ago.

on a slightly different point, should scotlandlandshire actually manage to go independent would that not open the way for the islands further north also to seek independence as they are geographically much closer to norway than edinbugh. should there be a drive for independence there could the SNP actually say no to them seeking to leave scotlandlandshire and taking their share of the oil with them, which interestingly enough would probably put them on a par with the suadi's financially.

The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:17 am

The Devil, You Know wrote:http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-scotlands-oil-wealth/17811

scotlandlandshire does not produce any oil, various private companies find it, develop it and get it out of the ground. ScotlandLandshire would just tax it.

there may be £1trillion of oil left, scotlandlandshires share of that would be whatever the tax rate is surly?

of course that £1trillion of oil would be far harder and more expensive to get out of the ground so after costs the profits that are taxable may be much lower.

Well done labour for ensuring that there is an amicable share of the oil,that great britain helped develop all those years ago.

on a slightly different point, should scotlandlandshire actually manage to go independent would that not open the way for the islands further north also to seek independence as they are geographically much closer to norway than edinbugh. should there be a drive for independence there could the SNP actually say no to them seeking to leave scotlandlandshire and taking their share of the oil with them, which interestingly enough would probably put them on a par with the suadi's financially.

OMG why the none de plume dean

ps please try not to turn this site in to your rw shit hole their`s a good flop

Last edited by korban dallas on Wed May 13, 2015 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 am

This is Dean from Flap?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:20 am

Raggamuffin wrote:This is Dean from Flap?

Yuuuuup
i feel a new welcome video coming on but be careful folks he reports people to the police with vile accusations

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:39 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed May 13, 2015 10:43 am

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:This is Dean from Flap?

Yuuuuup
i feel a  new welcome video coming on but be careful folks he reports people to the police with vile accusations

Well this is a bit awkward. I have no gripe with him myself - and I'm quite liking his posts so far. I remember the awful argument though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:47 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:
Yuuuuup
i feel a  new welcome video coming on but be careful folks he reports people to the police with vile accusations

Well this is a bit awkward. I have no gripe with him myself - and I'm quite liking his posts so far. I remember the awful argument though.
Give it time but i am of for a kip so i will read his subsequent drivel later

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:54 am

Oh the irony lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 10:57 am

The Devil, You Know wrote:http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-scotlands-oil-wealth/17811

Well Dean, if we get oil from shale, England won't produce it will they? They'll have private companies get it out the ground, I don't see Cameron getting down on his hands and knees digging somehow, do you? But the private companies have to pay to get at it, and a percentage of their revenue goes to the exchequer as well as the companies having to pay tax. DOH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed May 13, 2015 4:53 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:scotlandlandshire does not produce any oil, various private companies find it, develop it and get it out of the ground. ScotlandLandshire would just tax it.

Haha…nor does the bank produce any money. I could just find it, bag it and get it out of that old building. None of Scotland’s business, really. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down