NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breakthrough in hydrogen-powered cars may spell end for petrol stations

3 posters

Go down

Breakthrough in hydrogen-powered cars may spell end for petrol stations  Empty Breakthrough in hydrogen-powered cars may spell end for petrol stations

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:24 am

Scientists have dramatically increased the efficiency of producing clean hydrogen fuel from plant waste in a breakthrough that could one day lead to petrol stations being replaced by a network of roadside “bioreactors” for refuelling cars.

A study funded by Shell Oil has shown that it is possible to convert all 100 per cent of the sugar stored in corn stover – the stalks, cobs and husks leftover in a harvested maize field – into hydrogen gas with no overall increase in carbon dioxide emissions to the atmosphere.

The researchers perfected the process by mixing the raw biomass with a watery solution containing a cocktail of ten enzymes that turned the plant sugars xylose and glucose into hydrogen and carbon dioxide, said Professor Percival Zhang of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Previously it has only been possible to convert between 30 per cent and 60 per cent of the plant’s sugars into hydrogen using either fermenting microbes or industrial catalysts. However, the latest technique converts 100 per cent of the plant sugars into hydrogen, Professor Zhang said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/breakthrough-in-hydrogenpowered-cars-may-spell-end-for-petrol-stations-10158400.html

Back to top Go down

Breakthrough in hydrogen-powered cars may spell end for petrol stations  Empty Re: Breakthrough in hydrogen-powered cars may spell end for petrol stations

Post by nicko Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Im sure I read somewhere that two young scientists had discovered a way to run a car on water by some how removing the hydrogen and using it to power the car.It was a long time ago so I can't remember the details.What I do remember is that they both died in a car "accident" and took their discovery to the grave.A few days later their laboratory was destroyed by fire. Coincident any one?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Breakthrough in hydrogen-powered cars may spell end for petrol stations  Empty Re: Breakthrough in hydrogen-powered cars may spell end for petrol stations

Post by captain Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:26 pm

nicko wrote:Im sure I read somewhere that two young scientists had discovered a way to run a car on water by some how removing the hydrogen and using it to power the car.It was a long time ago so I can't remember the details.What I do remember is that they both died in a car "accident" and took their discovery to the grave.A few days later their laboratory was destroyed by fire. Coincident any one?

It would be good to find that story, because I was told the very same thing. Funny how word travels. Smile
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:32 pm

nicko wrote:Im sure I read somewhere that two young scientists had discovered a way to run a car on water by some how removing the hydrogen and using it to power the car.It was a long time ago so I can't remember the details.What I do remember is that they both died in a car "accident" and took their discovery to the grave.A few days later their laboratory was destroyed by fire. Coincident any one?

Actually, it was probably a hoax -- it would take so much energy to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen that it would be far more efficient to run the car on whatever energy source you were using to split the molecules.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 pm

http://cellaenergy.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down