NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march

4 posters

Go down

March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march Empty March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 pm

March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march 750x422

The young man with a cracked skull being pushed to the ground by a State Trooper in the right foreground of this photo is John Lewis on March 7, 1965.

Here he is today:

March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march 15658239_BG1

SELMA, Ala. – On Saturday, March 7, the president and the first lady will travel to Selma to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Selma to Montgomery “Bloody Sunday” march. President Obama will deliver remarks at the historic Edmund Pettus Bridge.

On March 7, 1965, protesters planned to cross the Edmund Pettus Bridge on their civil rights march to Montgomery. Law enforcement officers attempted to break up the protest, ultimately using force against the crowd. The televised violence was dubbed “Bloody Sunday” and became a rallying point for civil rights leaders.

This visit will also highlight the President and his administration’s overall efforts to mark the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

http://whnt.com/2015/03/04/president-obama-to-visit-selma-to-mark-50th-anniversary-of-bloody-sunday-civil-rights-march/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march Empty Re: March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:32 pm

On the surface life has changed so much, but black people in the US are still fighting the same battles in Ferguson etc.

Back to top Go down

March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march Empty Re: March 7 is the 50th anniversary of the Selma "Bloody Sunday" march

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 pm

risingsun wrote:On the surface life has changed so much, but black people in the US are still fighting the same battles in Ferguson etc.

In some senses we've gone backwards. American society is incredibly divided, to the point that the right wing is almost a separate nation.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:56 pm

I remember that and I wasn't in Britain at the time. They had another couple of marches later that month and the Governor wouldn't provide any protection for the marchers so LBJ sent the Army to do it.
The pictures were shocking.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:59 pm

Many years later, when I went to Martin Luther King's memorial in Atlanta, it was one of the things I thought about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:00 am

I knew I'd seen a video of this somewhere.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:04 am

Horrifying, both then and now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
risingsun wrote:On the surface life has changed so much, but black people in the US are still fighting the same battles in Ferguson etc.

In some senses we've gone backwards. American society is incredibly divided, to the point that the right wing is almost a separate nation.

It has been insightful to watch, in my lifetime, a black president be elected, and the response in the wake. Before, I would have had my doubts that racism was still strong in the US, but now there can be no doubt. The nice thing is, the Republicans, who are the bulk of the racists, are mostly all old, white men, and they are close to dying.

What is funny is that contemporaries like Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson can watch a film like Selma, and come away shaking his head. Yet, he is the same as those Alabama jackboots. We never see it in ourselves...it's the one flaw in the human construct.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:12 am

none of the GOP leadership apart from a last minute decision by Kevin McCarthy are going to be there.

this shouldn't be a GOP/Democrat thing - it should be a human thing.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:45 am

But.........racism still exists, and primarily in the Republican Party.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:36 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

It has been insightful to watch, in my lifetime, a black president be elected, and the response in the wake.  Before, I would have had my doubts that racism was still strong in the US, but now there can be no doubt.  The nice thing is, the Republicans, who are the bulk of the racists, are mostly all old, white men, and they are close to dying.

What is funny is that contemporaries like Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson can watch a film like Selma, and come away shaking his head.  Yet, he is the same as those Alabama jackboots.  We never see it in ourselves...it's the one flaw in the human construct.

I don't even know if it should really be called a black/white thing as much as the tearing down of one worldview and the enactment of what we have always claimed to be about -- you probably have encountered a good number of Republicans, like I have, who say they just stand for equality. Of course, when it was time to put that into practice, they were dismayed to see a black person succeed in something that wasn't music or sports.

I'm sure if it was Chinese people instead of people of African origin, they'd be talking about how white people are superior to the Chinese. It was always all about them.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It has been insightful to watch, in my lifetime, a black president be elected, and the response in the wake.  Before, I would have had my doubts that racism was still strong in the US, but now there can be no doubt.  The nice thing is, the Republicans, who are the bulk of the racists, are mostly all old, white men, and they are close to dying.

What is funny is that contemporaries like Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson can watch a film like Selma, and come away shaking his head.  Yet, he is the same as those Alabama jackboots.  We never see it in ourselves...it's the one flaw in the human construct.

I don't even know if it should really be called a black/white thing as much as the tearing down of one worldview and the enactment of what we have always claimed to be about -- you probably have encountered a good number of Republicans, like I have, who say they just stand for equality. Of course, when it was time to put that into practice, they were dismayed to see a black person succeed in something that wasn't music or sports.

I'm sure if it was Chinese people instead of people of African origin, they'd be talking about how white people are superior to the Chinese. It was always all about them.

First, don't ever believe a Republican. They have to lie in order to get votes, since they represent the political anti-christ. Republicans represent the interests of millionaires, and there aren't too many votes in that field. So they lie about what they do.

Second, Republicans seek only half-equality. They forget about the history of inequality that got them the advantage they now think is the starting line.

Republicans and equality go together like oil and water. Ask them if they are in favor of equal rights to marriage.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down