NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cancer Is The Best Way To Die And We Should Stop 'Wasting Billions' On Trying To Cure It, Doctor Says

3 posters

Go down

Cancer Is The Best Way To Die And We Should Stop 'Wasting Billions' On Trying To Cure It, Doctor Says Empty Cancer Is The Best Way To Die And We Should Stop 'Wasting Billions' On Trying To Cure It, Doctor Says

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Richard Smith, who edited the BMJ for 13 years, wrote in a blog post:
The long, slow death from dementia may be the most awful as you are slowly erased, but then again when death comes it may be just a light kiss.
Death from organ failure—respiratory, cardiac, or kidney—will have you far too much in hospital and in the hands of doctors.
So death from cancer is the best, the closest to the death that Buñuel wanted and had. You can say goodbye, reflect on your life, leave last messages, perhaps visit special places for a last time, listen to favourite pieces of music, read loved poems, and prepare, according to your beliefs, to meet your maker or enjoy eternal oblivion.
This is, I recognise, a romantic view of dying, but it is achievable with love, morphine, and whisky. But stay away from overambitious oncologists, and let’s stop wasting billions trying to cure cancer, potentially leaving us to die a much more horrible death.
Did Dr Smith, author of many thoughtful blogposts for the BMJ, intend the blogpost to provoke discussion about cancer in comparison with other diseases, without the notion of "the best way" to die being taken too seriously?
While nuance and irony are easily lost online, the Twitter reaction to the blogpost seemed to be remarkably and unexpectedly positive - which is to say, not everyone was tearing it to shreds.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/01/cancer-best-way-to-die_n_6403344.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Cancer Is The Best Way To Die And We Should Stop 'Wasting Billions' On Trying To Cure It, Doctor Says Empty Re: Cancer Is The Best Way To Die And We Should Stop 'Wasting Billions' On Trying To Cure It, Doctor Says

Post by stardesk Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Brasidas, happy new year to you. I believe some types of terminal cancer can be a slow and painful death. I should have thought the least painful and quickest way to die is a heart attack. It is sudden and you haven't got time to contemplate any pain.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Cancer Is The Best Way To Die And We Should Stop 'Wasting Billions' On Trying To Cure It, Doctor Says Empty Re: Cancer Is The Best Way To Die And We Should Stop 'Wasting Billions' On Trying To Cure It, Doctor Says

Post by Guest Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:08 pm

stardesk wrote:Hi Brasidas, happy new year to you. I believe some types of terminal cancer can be a slow and painful death. I should have thought the least painful and quickest way to die is a heart attack. It is sudden and you haven't got time to contemplate any pain.

Happy New Year Stardesk

I agree mate, hence why not sure where this doctor is coming from really.
Yes I can see it is not as bad as things like dementia, which must be horrible to lose any sense and memories you had, but I can think of better ways to go as you just showed.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:36 pm

Maybe it would be OK as long as it came with a 20-gallon sack of weed ...

Cancer Is The Best Way To Die And We Should Stop 'Wasting Billions' On Trying To Cure It, Doctor Says Post-41646-Harold-and-Kumar-Dancing-with-hwGI
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down