NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Book would you give away for free?

+7
nicko
Irn Bru
Eilzel
Original Quill
Ben Reilly
Cass
veya_victaous
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What Book would you give away for free? - Page 2 Empty What Book would you give away for free?

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliapugachevsky/which-book-would-you-give-out-for-free

In honour of the

What Book would you give away for free? - Page 2 Enhanced-20728-1416415258-28

What Book would you give away for free if you could??
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

What Book would you give away for free? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Book would you give away for free?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:48 pm

sphinx wrote:Yeah it seems that everyone is missing my point.

The statement was made that the bible (insert choice of religious text) is worthless.

I say if people find their lives improved by reading the bible it cannot be worthless.

This has led to people demonstrating the fallacy of religion

That is not and was not my point.

The the bible (religious text) out of religion.  If necessary give it another title and describe as fiction or whatever.  Put it on the same shelf as 50 shades of grey, lord of the rings, spot the dog or whatever.  Consider it as nothing but a book - a collection of pages with words on them bound together.

As a book (and nothing but a book) the bible (religious text) is not worthless.

Its a good lesson in bullshit, of that I grant you and for that it is a benefit to study to learn from such poor morals.
Again views that can be found elsewhere can thus be read elsewhere, thus the benefits do not really come from the bible but who created the things that people have found that benefited them.

Back to top Go down

What Book would you give away for free? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Book would you give away for free?

Post by stardesk Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 pm

I think we must all agree that the Biblical moral teaching is right for good living and peace, but a lot of the Bible is sheer fantasy and myth and should be classed along the lines of fiction. We know some of the patriarchs were real people but between the pages are numerous accounts of an evil god, who's creation had monumentous flaws in it.
Many fictional books contain events that can inspire us and move our emotions, and so too does the Bible, but it should still be consigned to the fictional shelf.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by nicko Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Wolf, I thought Art of War was quite interesting in some places,some of his ideas are still used today.What do you think of it overall?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 pm

@nicko
I thought it was interesting but I read it as part of a Business Degree so the focus was on how it relates to modern managers which is a bit boring Neutral
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:33 am

Woolfy, Dawkins works, along with others like Coyne, present evolutionary facts, they're not fantasy and fiction stories, therefore I don't think they should be consigned to the bin, unlike some passages in biblical books.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by stardesk Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Good evening Wolf. My apologies if I misunderstood your comments above, and yet going on this, one of your comments:
'JUST personally, I wouldn't put them in the "Fiction" section ~ but rather among several other Mythology/Anthropology/Social_History/"Spirituality" type tomes ~ including indigenous belief systems.'

I would say that mythology and belief systems should be consigned to the fiction shelf, but surely not Dawkins' works. Yes he has lately turned to debunking relgion but inbetween all that he does present evolutionary facts.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:38 pm

Dawkins at times seems intent on turning atheism into a new religion - and some proponents can be just as closed minded as any proponent of religion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2