NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prostate cancer could be 'switched off' with injection

3 posters

Go down

Prostate cancer could be 'switched off' with injection  Empty Prostate cancer could be 'switched off' with injection

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Scientists have worked out how to stop tumours growing in a breakthrough which could switch off many cancers and even prevent blindness
Prostate cancer could be ‘switched off’ after scientists discovered a way to prevent deadly tumours from spreading.

Bristol and Nottingham universities found that a single molecule plays a crucial role in the forming of new blood vessels. Tumours need a constant supply of nutrient enriched blood to survive and grow. So stopping the production of blood vessels prevents cancer cells from multiplying and spreading.

When scientists injected mice three times a week with a drug to stop molecule SRPK1 from working, their tumour growth halted. "We reasoned that inhibition of SRPK1 activity could stop cancer progression,” said Dr Sebastian Oltean, the study's co-author from the University of Bristol's School of Physiology and Pharmacology.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/11220525/Prostate-cancer-could-be-switched-off-with-injection.html

Back to top Go down

Prostate cancer could be 'switched off' with injection  Empty Re: Prostate cancer could be 'switched off' with injection

Post by nicko Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Pity they didn't "discover" this before they took mine out.!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Prostate cancer could be 'switched off' with injection  Empty Re: Prostate cancer could be 'switched off' with injection

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:32 pm

nicko wrote:Pity they didn't "discover" this before they took mine out.!

Yep, my bro would still be alive, this also led to my father being weakened by the treatment, which ultimately took his lfe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Excellent news!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes, it is good news. Prostate cancer runs in my family.

Seriously looking into stem cells, too.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 pm

If Prostate cancer had as much publicity as Breast cancer does it may have helped in a cure before now.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:20 pm

nicko wrote:If Prostate cancer had as much publicity as Breast cancer does it may have helped in a cure before now.

Agreed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:06 pm

nicko wrote:If Prostate cancer had as much publicity as Breast cancer does it may have helped in a cure before now.

Breast cancer is a problem in the US. Over 10,000/year die from some form of breast cancer. One in three will get it in some form. It's a killer all right.

It's funny, with the love of prophylactic and preemptive surgery in America and Canada, why don't we consider this for breast cancer? We routinely circumcise newborns without rhyme or reason, and here's a danger that kills 10,000/year and one in three will get--fact--and a radical mastectomy in the nursery would wipe it away in an instant.

I'm not a real fan of prophylactic/preemptive measures--usually based on slim chance and always irreversible--but in this case it could be a lifesaver...literally.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:14 pm

hmmm...well...considering how many people a year the americans kill
I recon the biggest life saver would be crainiotomy asap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down