NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it

+2
Ben Reilly
Raggamuffin
6 posters

Go down

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it Empty The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:19 pm

If there was a prize for Britain’s toughest headteacher, there’d be few rivals to Elizabeth Churton. In the past week she has hit the headlines for sending home more than 200 pupils from her secondary school in Bradford, Hanson Academy, for offences including the wearing of hooped earrings and the wrong kind of shoes.

The furore began on Tuesday morning, when teachers sent home 152 pupils – 10 per cent of the student body. The school says it began warning parents of the zero-tolerance uniform policy in July. Yet an outcry from some families ensued – and the local, then national media, turned their attentions. Undeterred, the school sent home 63 children on Wednesday, 33 on Thursday and seven on Friday.

But far from being the demon head, Ms Churton has a demeanour that is warm, considerate – and firm. Her third headship, she took up the helm at Hanson Academy in 2012. At the school’s last Ofsted inspection in February 2013, it had improved from “inadequate” to “requires improvement”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/the-headteacher-who-sent-home-152-pupils-in-a-day-explains-why-she-did-it-9847822.html

I have never been one for uniforms in schools, fail to see any benefits, though can understand the methodology she is applying here to instill discipline.

Back to top Go down

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it Empty Re: The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:33 pm

and I can understand the ban on hooped earings......

Back to top Go down

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it Empty Re: The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Oh I can see the point in school uniforms. If you let girls at school wear what they like it all turns into a sort of fashion show, with some girls looking down on others for not wearing the "right" clothes.

Some girls try to get round it by tweaking the uniform, and it all amounts to the same thing - competition, and it can all end in bullying. I agree with enforcing strict uniform rules.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:11 pm

That's fantastic. Pointless conformity enforced by needlessly draconian punishments, designed to make people not behave in ways they always have, and when all is said and done, people applauding the triumph of authority over reason.

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it Clapping_joker_batman_dark_knight
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:That's fantastic. Pointless conformity enforced by needlessly draconian punishments, designed to make people not behave in ways they always have, and when all is said and done, people applauding the triumph of authority over reason.

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it Clapping_joker_batman_dark_knight

10 out of 10 for subtly and firing home the point, even better using Heath Ledger

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:45 pm

YOU mean like this, posted on an entirely different forum that I inhabit

"
Might be if it was in East XXXXXX, the shoe code is black but when we had the bad rain months ago we sent him to school in a pair of black boots.Because they had timberland in small white stiching on the outerside, a teacher coloured it in with a black permanent marker ruining a £150 pair of shoes. "

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Oh I can see the point in school uniforms. If you let girls at school wear what they like it all turns into a sort of fashion show, with some girls looking down on others for not wearing the "right" clothes.

Some girls try to get round it by tweaking the uniform, and it all amounts to the same thing - competition, and it can all end in bullying. I agree with enforcing strict uniform rules.

Spot on rags and not just girl's schools either.
My school was very strict and we were inspected on the way in to school each morning for earrings, other jewellery and nail varnish - even clear! - and strictly no make-up!!

Uniforms just make sense. They make everyone conform and keep everyone together, they're instantly recognisable in the street and they make life so easy for parents of the younger children!!

This head teacher is doing a fine job.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:49 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Oh I can see the point in school uniforms. If you let girls at school wear what they like it all turns into a sort of fashion show, with some girls looking down on others for not wearing the "right" clothes.

Spot on rags and not just girl's schools either.
My school was very strict and we were inspected on the way in to school each morning for earrings, other jewellery and nail varnish - even clear! - and strictly no make-up!!

Uniforms just make sense. They make everyone conform and keep everyone together, they're instantly recognisable in the street and they make life so easy for parents of the younger children!!

This  head teacher is doing a fine job.

It's interesting that the people on this thread so far who disapprove of this action are men, and the ones who approve are women. That could change of course. Laughing

The men clearly have no idea about the dreadful nature of teenage girls at school, and their need for many of them to mock other girls who are not as "trendy" as them.

Girls are at school to learn, and they can express their individuality in other ways. Becoming a fashion icon is not the best way to do it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:57 pm

Obviously I disagree, edds, but if I could harp on it just a bit more (thanks Bras) -- I think if her job, as is implied, is teaching children, she needs to be mindful of the fact (and should be already) that children learn a lesson from absolutely everything they see adults do.

Here an adult has used the hammer of authority to stamp out individuality and enforce mindless (as in, unjustifiable) conformity. Of course individuality can lead to competition, competition can lead to jealousy, and jealousy can lead to the Dark Side of the Force, but you can't just keep kids from these things, they're eventually going to encounter competition and superficiality and meanness.

EDIT -- Raggs, just saw your post, and let me tell you about the time I wore a new shirt to school and another boy came over and physically inspected the tag without asking me first to see if it was a fashionable label. That should tell you all you need to know about how boys and girls act in many similar ways ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:49 pm

sorry I see no problem with what she did. The school has rules. if you or your child do not want to follow them for any reason feel free to go elsewhere. simples.

part of the reason I hated my high school is exactly what rags was saying.

when we were in UK I loved the fact my boys had to wear uniforms - it saved hassle every morning but I never did get the hang of ties. once senior got a detention for a uniform issue (he did it after I dropped him off) and I had no issue with it whatsoever - I backed the teacher 100%. he didn't do it again.

the only downside was the cost of blazers once they started growing at a fast rate - luckily the school had a great second hand shop - I handed his old one in clean and pressed and got one same for a few pounds. win win for everybody.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:18 am

Cass wrote:sorry I see no problem with what she did. The school has rules. if you or your child do not want to follow them for any reason feel free to go elsewhere. simples.

when we were in UK I loved the fact my boys had to wear uniforms - it saved hassle every morning but I never did get the hang of ties. once senior got a detention for a uniform issue (he did it after I dropped him off) and I had no issue with it whatsoever - I backed the teacher 100%. he didn't do it again.

the only downside was the cost of blazers once they started growing at a fast rate - luckily the school had a great second hand shop - I handed his old one in clean and pressed and got one same for a few pounds. win win for everybody.

Spot on Cass.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:26 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Obviously I disagree, edds, but if I could harp on it just a bit more (thanks Bras) -- I think if her job, as is implied, is teaching children, she needs to be mindful of the fact (and should be already) that children learn a lesson from absolutely everything they see adults do.

Here an adult has used the hammer of authority to stamp out individuality and enforce mindless (as in, unjustifiable) conformity. Of course individuality can lead to competition, competition can lead to jealousy, and jealousy can lead to the Dark Side of the Force, but you can't just keep kids from these things, they're eventually going to encounter competition and superficiality and meanness.

EDIT -- Raggs, just saw your post, and let me tell you about the time I wore a new shirt to school and another boy came over and physically inspected the tag without asking me first to see if it was a fashionable label. That should tell you all you need to know about how boys and girls act in many similar ways ...

You can keep children mindful of the fact that rules are there in life and meant to be followed; the wearing of a uniform, from a young age, reminds them of this.

Uniforms are worn to make everyone equal.

The word itself suggest all that we are trying to teach children about school:

remaining the same in all cases and at all times; unchanging in form or character.
"blocks of stone of uniform size"
synonyms: constant, consistent, steady, invariable, unvarying, unfluctuating, unvaried, unchanging, unwavering, undeviating, stable, static, sustained, regular, fixed, even, equal, equable,

School isn't a social event, it's a place of learning and structure and a stepping stone.

The army have uniforms. Should they not be made to wear them either? And yes, in battle they're camouflaged, but how about cadets? My son goes every week in uniform, and sometimes he's just scrubbing floors.

Whether you like it or not, we have uniforms throughout life, you wouldn't turn up to a job interview in a baseball cap and t-shirt.
As a mother, I wouldn't turn up to a parents evening at his school in a bikini top and shorts.

Installing the "uniform" way of thinking is a great idea and will help to create a sense of feeling part of the group,of people who attend your school....it creates a sense of being part of a whole and a sense of pride also.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:22 am

Interesting points Eddie though still see no need of a uniform, they do not have them in all schools and you can teach children discipline without uniforms.

Though if I was your sons teacher and you turn up like this, I am sure his grades would all of a sudden be A's  lol

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it 9k=

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it 2022273579

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Sloppy journalism. She didn't sent home 152 students; all "teachers sent home 152 pupils." It's right there.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:33 pm

thanks wolfie but it wont work.......ties are just a step too far for me.....luckily junior juniors first primary school alloewed pre-tied ties for the little ones - I was saved! then it was up to Mr.C to teach em. they never undid them totally and I would spot wash them without untying Cool
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
Cass wrote:
sorry I see no problem with what she did. The school has rules. if you or your child do not want to follow them for any reason feel free to go elsewhere. simples.

when we were in UK I loved the fact my boys had to wear uniforms - it saved hassle every morning but I never did get the hang of ties..........................

geek      TYING the neck tie is simple ~ "Half" (or single) Windsor (the bunny goes 'round the tree once then down it's hole..) for school ties; maybe a Full (or Double) Windsor (the rabbit goes around that tree twice..) for some dress ties for formal occasions if the knot proves to be too small and tight with a single..

THAT'S all one need know for regular neckties...   Bowties could be more tricky again, but I've never worn a bowtie in my life..

The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it Double-windsor-knot

UNIFORMS have been compulsory in the majority of Aussie schools since well before I was born ~ though they have been gradually loosening up and growing more casual (and suitable to our climates) since the mid' 1970s :

* Ties were worn all the time when I started high school in 1971, but by the end of school were only being worn for formal and special occasions;
* Black joggers/sneakers were allowed as alternative footwear from around the mid' 70's, as long as they were within certain standards and styles; while certain types of grey jeans were allowed as alternatives to regulation grey trousers at my school;
* Polo shirts have replaced business-style shirts for general wear in many schools since the late '80s, while some schools still want shirt-and-tie for formal occasions, (and some schools still have Blazers for special occasions - though while Private schools may stipulate a blazer as part of the uniform, in most Public schools where they may still want want student rep's to wear a blazer to public or formal appearances, the school might even provide the blazers and ties..);
* These days track suits (in school colours) might be worn to some schools for sports days and carnivals - while many primary schools are even using track suits for their Winter uniforms !

FOR the Public (government) school system over here, the State government's Education department sets the broad overall standards, while it's then up to each school as to how they then administer those guidelines, and set their own rules..      The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it 479860004
IN the private and church schools, the school councils will decide just how conservative, formal or regulated/deregulated they will set their dress standards...

I SEE nothing wrong with school uniforms, and consider many anti-uniform notions as so much The headteacher who sent home 152 pupils in a day explains why she did it 2787774761  
THE main advantages I see, and as already mentioned by some others above, include :
* not having to decide what to wear each day;
* removing the competitive edge and "one-upmanship", especially from some fringe areas where shcools may be bringing in students froma wide socio-economic backgrounds..

Very kewl post, Bee. Informative.

The only one I didn't know, by my father's teaching, was the bow-tie. Turns out, it's the same as the single windsor, except the bunny only goes half-way down the hole...ends up like a half-hitch. Then of course it's cut so it turns sideways.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down