NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HuffPo predicts mid-term elections...

4 posters

Go down

HuffPo predicts mid-term elections... Empty HuffPo predicts mid-term elections...

Post by Independent Thoughts Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 pm

For better or worse, it seems that the Republicans are going to win Congress.
Nearly all polls have the Republicans maintaining control of the House. Polls are split over who will control the Senate.
Huffington Post published their numbers, today. According to them, there is a 21% chance that the Democratic Party will keep the Senate, and a 79% chance the Republicans will take it.
http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2014/senate-outlook

Not sure what this means for the country, as a whole, but if HuffPo is right, we can expect quite a few more POTUS vs Congress showdowns for at least the next 2 years.

Independent Thoughts
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

HuffPo predicts mid-term elections... Empty Re: HuffPo predicts mid-term elections...

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:19 am

I never understood why the US would maintain an electoral stsllystem that can effectively paralyse the government for 2 years...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

HuffPo predicts mid-term elections... Empty Re: HuffPo predicts mid-term elections...

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 am

I think it will be paralyzed for two more years, Les. Remember, the Republican Party is now two parties...mainstream-right and Tea Party. I'm betting they won't agree among themselves, and very little will be asked of Obama.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:59 am

Yeah, the media is frothing about the Republicans having 52 Senate seats now ... well, before tonight, the Democrats had 53 seats and 55 in their caucus and absolutely NOTHING was getting done, thanks to the Republicans' standing filibuster.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few Republican bills getting something like 52-48 support and still losing because they need 60 to get past the filibuster. Standing Democratic filibuster on every Republican-sponsored bill. Maybe then their supporters will wake up.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:04 am

I suppose the upside is, if the Republicans are seen to be uncooperative then it will make it easier for the Dems (under Hilary?) to retake control in 2016.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:37 am

Eilzel wrote:I suppose the upside is, if the Republicans are seen to be uncooperative then it will make it easier for the Dems (under Hilary?) to retake control in 2016.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking; the only time the country ever seems to want Republicans in charge is when they haven't seen them in charge for a while Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:12 pm

Eilzel wrote:I suppose the upside is, if the Republicans are seen to be uncooperative then it will make it easier for the Dems (under Hilary?) to retake control in 2016.

That is exactly the correct prognostication. This election cycle does not have much in the offing. The only thing Republicans will try is to repeal the healthcare legislation. First, they will lose a lot of even Republican support, because they are pursuing a myth...the ACA is becoming really popular. Despite their myth, there are realists out there. Second, they will fight an uphill battle with the filibuster.

Then, fat chance getting the President to sign the legislation.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down