NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8

3 posters

Go down

Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8 Empty Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8

Post by Guest Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:06 pm

A simple test that uses a raisin and a plastic cup can predict how well a toddler will perform academically at age eight, researchers say. The toddlers were given a raisin that was placed under an opaque cup within easy reach. After three training runs, toddlers were asked to wait until they were told (60 seconds) they could touch and eat the raisin. Children who were born very prematurely were more likely to take the raisin before the allotted time. In a follow on study the academics found that those who couldn’t inhibit their behavior as toddlers weren’t performing as well in school as their full-term peers seven years later.

“An easy, five-minute raisin game task represents a promising new tool for follow-up assessments to predict attention regulation and learning in preterm and term born children,” says Dieter Wolke, a psychology professor at the University of Warwick and senior author of the study published in the Journal of Pediatrics.
“The results also point to potential innovative avenues to early intervention after preterm birth.”

http://www.futurity.org/raisin-test-toddlers-1051712/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

Back to top Go down

Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8 Empty Re: Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8

Post by eddie Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:03 pm

So measuring how patient a toddler is, can determine later academic achievement?

Sounds like waffle to me.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8 Empty Re: Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8

Post by Guest Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:11 pm

eddie wrote:So measuring how patient a toddler is, can determine later academic achievement?

Sounds like waffle to me.

This would be a good example of where I should have posted the full article I guess:

“The results also point to potential innovative avenues to early intervention after preterm birth.”
Wolke and colleagues collected data as part of the prospective Bavarian Longitudinal Study, which began in Germany in 1985 and is still underway. During the study, 558 children born at 25 to 41 weeks gestation were assessed for self-control once they were 20 months old. The results of those born preterm 25-38 weeks were compared to those born full term between 39-41 weeks.
Around age eight, the same children were evaluated by a team of psychologists and pediatricians using three different behavior ratings of attention by mothers, psychologists, and the whole research team. Academic achievement—including mathematics, reading, and spelling/writing—was assessed utilizing standardized tests.

The findings show that the lower the gestational age, the lower a toddler’s inhibitory control—and the more likely those children would have poor attention skills and low academic achievement at eight years old
“This new finding is a key piece in the puzzle of long-term underachievement after preterm birth,” says Julia Jaekel, lead author of the study and honorary research fellow at the University of Warwick. Jaekel also is an assistant professor of child and family studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Hmmm. Still a bit wishy-washy

I just think some children are more patient than others and of course the older you are, the more patient you are able to be.

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:29 pm

For Old fashioned Non digital learning Systems (teachers and chalk)  it makes sense as an intelligent student requires a huge amount of patience to move as slowly as the teacher does through the material.
In passive learning scenarios(teacher and chalk board Or documentary film etc) the student is just passively sitting there waiting for information to be presented and thus patience and attention span are key to to 'acquiring the information'.

this is probably quite different with practical skills or 'learn on the job' like apprenticeships. where the more/faster the individual goes the more 'information' they get presented with.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:43 pm

eddie wrote:Hmmm. Still a bit wishy-washy

I just think some children are more patient than others and of course the older you are, the more patient you are able to be.

When I was a grammar school there used to be people who joined us at age 13, they hadn't passed the 11+ but by 13 had shot ahead.  When will so called experts start realising that they are not dealing with homogeneous robots but children, who all develop differently, who all latch on to different things at different points in their life and stuff their rules up their bums.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:52 pm

perhaps we could use a similar test to predict who will become an isil terrorist

present em with 72 rasins...if they grab for em ...well then...?????????????????????????? Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8 202592697
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Lord Foul wrote:perhaps we could use a similar test to predict who will become an isil terrorist

present em with 72 rasins...if they grab for em ...well then...?????????????????????????? Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8 202592697

They might prefer Sultanas

Raisin test for toddlers predicts learning at age 8 18617

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:02 pm

ahhh the exception that proves the rule???
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Lord Foul wrote:ahhh the exception that proves the rule???

Or the fruit that makes the (spotted) dick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:05 pm

well i aint read it so i wouldnt pretend to understand ...

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Lord Foul wrote:well i aint read it so i wouldnt pretend to understand ...

Lol, nothing about the book, sultanas in spotted dick, the pudding!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:17 pm

oh and heres me thinking it might be a book about prostitution.......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Lord Foul wrote:oh and heres me thinking it might be a book about prostitution.......

Made me giggle, never read that particular Jean Sasson book, but I read a trio of books that she fronted for a Saudi princess about the real life they lead and the horrors they endure.  Saudi is the worst, they use their religion as an excuse, what it is really all about is the fact it is run by men, for men.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down